PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about wet hair?

Lianna
November 10th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I rarely see people with wet hair in public, especially in the workplace or campus. What do you think about it, is it just not "polished" enough for the public?

My hair takes hours to dry, and I know I'm not the only one. I like to shower in the morning and wet my hair everyday, I find myself feeling a bit self conscious about it, even though is just wet hair!

I live in a very hot place, I don't feel well if I don't at least rinse in the morning. I do realize that who uses heat can't do this, but I spot several women who clearly air dry and I never see their hair wet.

I just feel so odd being the 5% with wet hair.

HairFaerie
November 10th, 2010, 09:27 AM
When I lived in Southern California, I went places with wet hair all the time. It didn't bother me, but then again, I really don't care what the general public thinks about me! :)

I am in Northeastern Ohio now and in the summer I will go places with wet hair but never in the fall & winter...BRRRRRRRR!

JulietCapulet
November 10th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Hmmm, I think people will think you just took a shower. I don't think it's a problem unless you are at work. Maybe wash hair at night and let it dry overnight or you may try blow drying.

Dani
November 10th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I've seen women with damp hair in the mornings before, on their way to work or wherever, and I've always just thought that it was cool that they're air drying their hair, and they probably just showered. :p In summers in Va I most definitely go out with damp hair in a bun. Can't do without the air conditioner on my head here.

HereIGrowAgain
November 10th, 2010, 09:42 AM
When my hair is longer I rinse it in the mornings and put it up into a french twist or other bun after it has towel and air dried a bit. It was the only way I could get it to look sleek without using tons of spray or gel. I think the only time wet hair in public looks odd is if you are in an un-casual environment (work etc) and have it down.

Vermelha
November 10th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Well, some may not care what the public thinks. Sometimes, I'm like that too, but there comes a time where we DO have to care, especially when it inconveniences others.

I thought it was OK to wear wet hair everywhere until I had water all over the back of my shirt and I caused water stains on my sister's suede couch and car seat. My office chair was wet and a stylist even called me out about it. I stopped doing that and taking more pride in my appearance. Not saying once in a while is bad, but daily wet hair? I could see if your hair were absolutely unmanageable, not "just because I didn't feel like it."

aenflex
November 10th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Perfectly normal to me...

enfys
November 10th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I've seen people in public with wet hair occasionally. Most notably my manager in my old job who lived two minutes away but was always late; she'd often come in with wet hair!

If you are outdoors in the UK it's probably not warm enough for your hair to ever dry most of the time, and the rain won't help either.

I'd far rather wash my hair in the evening and avoid handing it when wet as that's when I feel it's most vulnerable; the thought of twisting my wet hair into a bun is just :shudder:

Lianna
November 10th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I usually damp bun, like I said I just can't wake up and not rinse, sometimes I rinse at night too. There's no winters here, so cold weather isn't a problem. Heat is the only thing that ruins my hair for good (I dye it).

I always thought it was odd at work because is so uncommon here. I do it nontheless, I don't wanna blow dry. At the moment, I just go to college. When I was doing an internship it was in the afternoon so it wasn't a problem.

I just wanna hear some opinions. :)

ETA: I feel dirty if I don't wash it. :(

ddiana1979
November 10th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I go to work with wet hair at least once a week or so. Of course, I'm also in academia working as a post-doc, so what are people going to say to me? I'm hidden away in a laboratory. I never do it on days where I have to receive visiting professors, etc, but otherwise, our workplace is very casual.

I never blow fry, so people can deal with my wet hair. If they don't like it, they can leave my office or lab space.

SpinDance
November 10th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I always air dry my hair. It takes about an hour to an hour and a half to look completely dry and may be a touch damp longer than that. On wash days it is mostly dry by the time I have commuted to the office, and if it's damp, well, it's damp. And clean. No one has ever seemed to have a problem with it being damp when I arrive. My work is on computers, so I am not on display for the public. I don't know if this would change my routine or not.

I often wear my hair loose on wash day (in part to let it finish drying) but sometimes I'll put it up into a bun after it is dry. I'll usually wear it in a bun on non-wash days. The random up/down hasn't caused any comment either.

jojo
November 10th, 2010, 09:53 AM
At the moment my hair would turn into icicles if I went out with wet hair but in summer or when I am in a hot place I always go out with wet hair; im not hurting anybody! and no it doesnt bother me one bit if I see somebody with wet hair!

RachieBaby
November 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I go out with wet hair often :) I shower in the morning so my hair is nearly always still a little damp by the time i get to work/college. I just normally put it in braids or in a bun though :) I think now its getting colder im going to start showering at night time. Save my head from freezing in the morning lol :)

Lianna
November 10th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Thank you so much for all your replies. It's not like I don't wanna go out with dry hair, I just don't wanna go out feeling icky. It's a tropical country, I often sweat a little at night. Washing at night wouldn't fix it, unless is maybe winter and the weather is mild (not even cold).

ETA: Don't know if matters, but my hair is short, it doesn't get in the way, or wets things. It's bunned and I'll damp bun even when longer.

SpinDance
November 10th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Well, some may not care what the public thinks. Sometimes, I'm like that too, but there comes a time where we DO have to care, especially when it inconveniences others.
Your hair must hold a lot more water than mine does. I wrap mine with a flour sack cloth towel, let it drip into that while I finish drying, then press excess water out into the towel by gently squeezing down the length through the towel. I often add a hand towel around the outside of the thin one to catch more water. Then I put a different thin towel around it and let it drip into that hanging down my back while I do post shower stuff. Press more out then take off the towel and let it loose to dry. If it continues to drip, as it often does, I'll blot again from the ears down.

By the time I leave the room it is still visibly damp/wet, but no longer dripping.

Lianna
November 10th, 2010, 10:45 AM
My hair never drips, even if I just squeeze it with a towel. I do a turbie with a T-shirt so it dries even more. Maybe I should have said damp in the title. But it 'looks' wet.

daaisychains
November 10th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with wet hair in the slightest, as long as it's not dripping wet all over the place then damp hair is fine.

I'm a night washer but if i have to wash my hair in the morning i usually just gently pop it up, the roots dry really quickly because of my hair type and the ends don't matter because theyre up and out of the way.

HintOfMint
November 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM
A bit damp is fine, but wet hair in a professional environment is a bit problematic. It implies that you were in a rush this morning and didn't have time to dry it, which implies that you may have time management problems. I have gone to class with wet hair before when I didn't really care, but while college and high school have pretty low standards for looking put together, professional/graduate school or work call for looking like you took the time to groom before you left the house. I know that many of us don't blowdry and are perfectly groomed and dressed in any other way, and it is not fair to assume that everyone blowdries... but... wet hair at work looks like you rushed that morning and looking frazzled doesn't do you any favors. *shrug*

Lianna
November 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM
My classes starts at 7am, there's just no time to dry. I look very put together in my damp bun. >.< Sometimes I see a student with wet *damp* hair and she just looked "fresh" to me.

I'm in law school, so when I work I'll have to look professional and all that, yes.

slythwolf
November 10th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I was taught growing up that going out with a wet head would make you get sick. In the winter especially it would just be a stupid idea; there are days here when they cancel school because it's not safe for the kids to wait at the bus stop with any uncovered skin. I do walk around with wet hair a reasonable amount of time in the summer because it helps me keep cool.

It's not a huge problem for me though, I don't wash more than once or twice a week anyway and it's easy for me to plan to do it at times when my hair will be dry or almost dry by the time I have to go anywhere.

pepperminttea
November 10th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I've no qualms about going out with mine a bit damp still; I'd rather it be damp and clean than dry and in need of a wash. :) I don't think it looks unkempt, especially damp bunned, though I do make sure I wait until it is at least half-way dry these days, after once being asked by a close friend if my hair was "wet or really, really greasy" (she's always a bit blunt, she didn't mean it to sound quite as it did).

Avital88
November 10th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I sometimes go outside with wet hair but it feels so itching.I dont know why but i cant stand walking outside with wet hair or have wet hair at all.
I dont like getting out of the shower thinking about how long it takes my hair to dry.
Never had it before its something i have since a few months ,guess the lenght is an issue while wet.
Plus winter is coming..brrrr

gotzbrainz
November 10th, 2010, 12:35 PM
If I had to go to work with wet hair I would put it up in a bun. It just doesnt look professional, other things like shopping or whatever I dont really care to do my hair.

DARKMARTIAN
November 10th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Living where I do....it gets upwards of 100&#176; F and above here. During summer months having wet hair can be quite refreshing. Especially for the fact that it covers my entire back.

But if you wanna know the truth.....I just go all the way and head for a swim :p

Lianna
November 10th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I just took a shower and did my usual damp bun. Didn't even used the T-shirt turbie this time, so it's pretty wet. I don't think it's too bad. :shrug: Or is it?

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2273/dampbun.jpg

Coan-Teen
November 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I think your hair looks fine damp. It's certainly not inconveniencing anyone. If I were you I wouldn't worry.

Dragon
November 10th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I don't see wet hair here out in public ever. I do go out in public with wet hair loose as I don't tie it up while wet. I don’t see anything wrong with it.

Carolyn
November 10th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I do it all the time, weather permitting. A damp bun looks the same as bunned hair that hasn't been washed for a few days so I don't see any difference there. If I wrap it in a towel as soon as I get out of the tub, by the time I am dressed and have make up on, my hair isn't dripping wet. I will leave it down while I drive to my destination and then quickly bun or claw clip it up when I get there. If it's just for something like going to Hellmart or the grocery store, then I don't care how wet it is or if it's up or down.

spidermom
November 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I can't say that I've ever really paid enough attention to other people to determine whether or not they are out and about with wet hair. As for me, I've even gone to work with wet hair. It dries soon enough.

BrightEyes7
November 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I go to work with wet hair. I hate sleeping with wet hair and if I wanted it to dry on time for me to go to bed I'd have to take a shower right when I get home from work and that isn't really an option, I got stuff to do!!

So I shower in the morning and go with wet hair. I do live in So. California so it doesn't get really cold but I'm sure if I lived in that kind of climate I'd have to dry before going anywhere!

Saturnia
November 10th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I'm ok going out with my hair a little damp, but I air dry and iron my bangs, so the rest of my hair is pretty dry by the time I'm ready to go out.

DARKMARTIAN
November 10th, 2010, 01:49 PM
The only time ill ever actually go out with wet hair is if its braided.....

I dont really mind having wet hair...I just dont really wanna look like I have wet hair....:)

share801
November 10th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I like my hair better wet. Straighter, longer, frizz free.

curlymarcia
November 10th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I am one of those who go out with wet hair (sometimes). But as soon as the winter comes, there is no way I go out with wet hair burr burr burr

Ash
November 10th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I always go out with wet hair. I shower at the beginning of my day and I refuse to use a blow dryer or get up earlier. If I am going to work then my wet hair is braided and that actually makes it easier and neater than if it was dry. On my days off it is down and takes less time to dry especially if I am outside. I also don't really care what people think if they see my wet hair. I do the same thing in the winter and have never had any negative effects.

eezepeeze
November 10th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I think wet hair is frowned upon in the workplace because it presents the image that a person has not managed their time wisely enough to allow for the hair to dry. It also presents an unkempt image to prospective clients who may judge the company by the appearance of the employees. If wearing wet hair to a professional environment, I definitely suggest containing the hair in a neat, smooth bun to present a polished appearance. Despite what we may wish to believe, others judge us by our appearance all the time, because until the know us personally, they have nothing else to go by.

Personally, I feel free to wear wet hair in public to run errands, visit friends, and do other casual things, but not to the professional workplace. I know the office where I work would frown upon it.

Debra83
November 10th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I think wet hair is frowned upon in the workplace because it presents the image that a person has not managed their time wisely enough to allow for the hair to dry. It also presents an unkempt image to prospective clients who may judge the company by the appearance of the employees. If wearing wet hair to a professional environment, I definitely suggest containing the hair in a neat, smooth bun to present a polished appearance. Despite what we may wish to believe, others judge us by our appearance all the time, because until the know us personally, they have nothing else to go by.

Personally, I feel free to wear wet hair in public to run errands, visit friends, and do other casual things, but not to the professional workplace. I know the office where I work would frown upon it.

Well said. But having agreed with that, I go to work in a professional environment with wet hair, and I live in snow country (although at the moment we haven't got any yet...but it is coming for sure!). But, I get to work about an hour and a half before we open the doors to the public...plenty of time to air dry my hair for now anyway!:cheese:

frizzinator
November 10th, 2010, 11:41 PM
...... I wrap mine with a flour sack cloth towel......

Is there a reason for using a flour sack cloth towel? Does it produce less lint than a terry cloth towel?

frizzinator
November 10th, 2010, 11:47 PM
....... I wrap mine with a flour sack cloth towel......

...... I do a turbie with a T-shirt.....

Are there specific reasons for using flour sack cloth or a t-shirt on wet hair? Do these fabrics release less lint than terry cloth toweling?

Lianna
November 11th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Thank you all for the replies.

The reason I use a T-shirt, frizzinator, is because it gives me smoother hair, I learned this "trick" from some curly girls I watched on youtube. :p Plus is lighter than my normal towels on my head. Some people dry with paper towels too.

I feel better about wet hair now, it's not like I arrive at school with "soaking wet hair". It might be less professional than dry hair, but no one is perfect right...I still think is better than damaged by heat (like I had) or dirty.

TXbarbie
November 11th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I guess it depends on where you go when you leave the house. There's a girl in one of my classes at college and she has pretty short hair that is ALWAYS wet when she gets to class. I mean I know it's a 9am class, but here in the south the majority of ladies put a little effort into how they look before getting to class. So it isn't surprising when nobody wants to sit next to her.

I'm sure I've been out of the house once or twice with damp hair, though. I can't remember when... but it would be impossible to always leave the house without doing it once, right?

Lianna
November 11th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I mean I know it's a 9am class

Well, my class is 7am, and I need about 30min to get there, LOL. But even if it wasn't I wasn't gonna get up at 5am just to air dry my hair, that's the truth. My hair takes about 3 hours to dry, maybe.

Jezerellica
November 11th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Others can do as they like. I don't judge. For myself, I like it to be 90% dry or dry. I just like to feel well groomed, I guess. If it is in a bun, it can be hard to tell if it is wet or not.

luxepiggy
November 11th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I think it's fine if it's up in a bun or braided. I used bun mine damp when I was in university to go to 8am classes. I wouldn't wear it down though - the big damp spot on my back is not such a good look for me (^(oo)^)

Yozhik
November 11th, 2010, 01:51 AM
In college I used to wash my hair in the evenings, and then hang out in my dorm lounge and wait for it to dry before going to bed. Once, this boy who I always used to see in the lounge asked me why I always looked like a "drowned rat" when he saw me. >.<

Since then I've tried to at least somewhat dry it or put it up before going out in public.

In Russia in particular there seems to be a fairly strict social stigma to going outside with wet hair. My DBF did it a couple of weeks ago, and his colleague gave him a stern talking-to regarding taking care of his health. The last time I was here in 2008, I met up with my friends to go to an opera, and so we were all wearing formal clothes, but I had just taken a shower, so my hair was damp (I figured it would dry before we got to the opera house, which sure enough, it did). When I went outside (mind this is in July), I heard a bunch of girls who were standing nearby really cattily complaining in Russian about how horrible I looked in a dress with wet hair. Clearly they didn't think I understood.

So basically what I'm saying is that it depends on the setting, and according to where you are, even going outside in warmer months with wet hair isn't really permissible in some countries. :shrug:

Lianna
November 11th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Wet hair seems to worse than I thought then. Something so simple and natural can be so frowned upon.

RachelRain
November 11th, 2010, 02:01 AM
I go out with wet hair a lot, but mostly in the summer. Almost everyone here has pools, so you never really know if someone just got out of the shower or a pool, and either way, most people couldn't care less as long as it doesn't touch them and you're not leaving a puddle wherever you go. Depending on how wet it is, I might bun it so it doesn't soak the back of my shirt and my jeans, but if it's just still kind of piece-y and damp, then I'll leave it down.

That said, if I don't have a brush with me, I don't like to go out with wet hair because I look like a drowned urchin and it drives me crazy. That and the fact that I can't swim generally means it's brushed wet hair. :)

I take showers at night though, so luckily most places I go at night are just something like Walmart or the supermarket, so I don't really mind what people there think about me anyways. It's not like I'm likely to meet someone super important there who'll change my life forever. You know? :)

Lianna
November 11th, 2010, 02:09 AM
My hair doesn't touch my clothes enough to soak it, but when it grows, I think I'll braid it, because I think a side braid is so beautiful, wet or dry.

Nae
November 11th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I don't usually go it with it loose and wet. It has to be mostly dry for me to do that. One other thing is that when I use gel, aloe vera or otherwise on my curly hair it will look wet but be dry. (How does that count socially?)

If I am really running late I will throw it into a french twist, bun or a braid. I don't see a thing wrong with that. I work in a pretty professional environment and I have seen others do the same. Now, the caveat there is that no one comes to work dripping. There are no wet spots on the back on their clothing, but slightly damp hair seems acceptable as long as it is professionally contained.

SpinDance
November 11th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Is there a reason for using a flour sack cloth towel? Does it produce less lint than a terry cloth towel?

I started using flour sack cloths as towels years ago. They are long enough to wrap around my hair, but not so heavy that they fell off when I used to wrap it up on top of my head. Since I found LHC I've stopped wrapping it up and putting it on top of my head, just wrap the cloth around my head and the length of my hair and let it drip into the towel.

They are light in weight, I think they absorb water faster than terry towels and dry fast.

They are not as loopy as the terry cloth, a bit smoother, I think, so I am hoping it won't rough up my hair when it is wet and thus most delicate. It does produce less lint as well.

*Seraphina*
November 11th, 2010, 01:02 PM
It think it looks normal and clean.

vdhendrix
November 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM
when i worked in the electroincs department at wal-mart i used to come in with wet hair everyday

maddog_running
October 27th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I have a 40-50 min bus ride to school, and I shower every morning so I'm used to braiding/bunning it damp and letting it loose to air dry on the bus or letting it out later in the afternoon. My hair is thin, waistlength-ish, and henna'd, it probably takes an hour to dry fully loose. I wouldn't have loose damp or wet hair in a professional environment but in a bun or braid generally like others have said, so long as I'm not dripping, a little damp just means the flyaways are better controlled :D.

WilfredAllen
October 27th, 2013, 11:51 AM
it looks casual. nothing more, nothing less. I personally don't like it because it feels like wearing sweatpants to me - there's nothing wrong with either, but it just doesn't feel like I'm fully dressed. I live in Canada, so 6 months of the year it's probably a pretty bad idea to go outside with wet hair.