PDA

View Full Version : Is mineral oil bad for hair?

Dreamkitty
November 10th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Im using Dabur Amla hair oil every week, quite a big amount. It contains mineral oil, is it bad for hair?

morecowbell
November 10th, 2010, 07:04 AM
You know, I don't think it's necessarily bad, it's just not too good for hair.
Mineral oil can't be absorbed at all by your hair shaft (or your skin for that matter), so what it does is coat your hair, trapping moisture in (and out).
Mineral oil can build up, so if you aren't using shampoo (ie, Conditioner only washes) you might get yucky ends.
I use products with a small amount of mineral oil in them, I just make sure to clarify about a week afterward to keep away any dryness.
IMO it's just fine to use it as long as you use it on wet or damp hair, to trap moisture in, not out. :)
HTH

aenflex
November 10th, 2010, 07:07 AM
If you want it coated, and plan to remove it in a timely fashion, I don't think bad is the right word. morecowbell is right, it just coats the skin/hair. Someone with very course, kinky or curly hair might benefit from mineral oil. Although I prefer mango seed or shea butter for the same effect.

sibiryachka
November 10th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Like most ingredients, some people swear by mineral oil, some avoid it like the plague. For me, both my skin and my hair run screaming from the stuff. I think hair type has everything to do with it; my hair and skin are apparently not the right type for it. Without info about your hair type, it's hard to judge whether it might be a good choice for you.

spidermom
November 10th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I agree - mineral oil is not bad for hair, but it's not particularly good for it either. If you like what it does for your hair, there's no reason not to use it. If you're looking for something that actually benefits your hair, go for something like coconut, olive, or avocado oil (and there are others). The Beauty Brains web site has some good articles about this.

little_cherry
November 10th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Mineral oil is a neutral thing-not bad, but not beneficial, either. Like most here have said, it coats the hair shaft like like cones. A teeny bit can help with shine, but you actually need to Condition-shampoo (SLS)-condition to remove mineral oil from the hair, while other oils can be removed with a Conditioner massage and soak.

gotzbrainz
November 10th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Mineral oil cannot penetrate the hair shaft, it just suffocates it.

Copasetic
November 10th, 2010, 01:40 PM
No, it is not bad for your hair. It can be a bit hard to wash out, which is an issue if you are either shampoo-free, or use an SLS-free shampoo.

ETA: Mineral oil does not suffocate hair. Hair does not breathe.

little_cherry
November 10th, 2010, 02:55 PM
ETA: Mineral oil does not suffocate hair. Hair does not breathe.
True that! There are many other oils that do not penetrate. too. Coconut, avocado, olive are exceptions.

Can you imagine if hair was alive? I bet a million dollars that it would try and strangle me in my sleep and slap my face. :run:

Copasetic
November 10th, 2010, 03:38 PM
True that! There are many other oils that do not penetrate. too. Coconut, avocado, olive are exceptions.

Can you imagine if hair was alive? I bet a million dollars that it would try and strangle me in my sleep and slap my face. :run:

I often feel like my hair is trying to choke me now . . . if it were alive, I would be in trouble! :p