PDA

View Full Version : Arrrg...I'm trying to resist cutting HELP! (Pics included)

Lisa R
November 10th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Hi All,

My hair is really getting me down. I know we all go through those times. I promised myself not to cut or trim my hair till I see my mum in Feb 2010. When I see her it will be 1 year since my last cut from her. I wonder if I will make it?! Hmmmmm...

I'm still undecided if to get something done when I see her. My 1st goal is to get to bra strap length by my 10th wedding anniversary in October next year. I think that is achievable if I don't do anything drastic with my hair. I am really not liking the fluffy thin looking bits. I was considering getting mum to take half an inch off all over. I will still be able to get to BSL if she does that. What are all your thoughts on this? The other option is doing my best to not touch my hair until Oct next year. Do you have any other options you might want to share with me?!!

I have quite a few layers growing out and I would like to get to one length eventually as I think my hair looks thicker and fuller with all one length. My DH has suggested I grow to BSL then maintain and slowly cut out layers and damage from there for a while. In my opinion my layers look quite fluffy and yuck. I know some of those reasons have to do with my hair type (fine and thinish). It also doesn't help having a couple of inches of highlights left in hair.

My husband loves my hair but he doesn't see it like I see it! I really don't like being so vain about my hair. I've always loved hair and especially long hair. The longest I have grown it was between BSL and Waist about 5 years ago. I cut it all off to a pixie type hair style. Loved it for a year or so then started growing it long again. Got to APL+ then cut it to that short pixie style again and now growing it out again. Hmmmm, I think I'm going around in circles!

The pics below show a couple of progress pics. The first one is what it looked like in Feb this year. The next one is of July this year. The next few pics were taken today after I washed my hair and blow dried it. I don't normally blow dry but I wanted to see what my length looked like completely straight (I have a slight kink normally). The bland pic is without the flash. What a difference the flash makes. I hate the look of my hair without the flash. It looks really horrible.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/dandlroberts/Feb2010.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/dandlroberts/July2010.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/dandlroberts/Nov20108.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/dandlroberts/Nov20105.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/dandlroberts/Nov20107.jpg

Thanks for listening to my ramblings. Always good to get those things off ones chest!

jasper
November 10th, 2010, 05:10 AM
You are asking for help with resisting cutting in your subject line. . . so if you want to resist cutting, maybe you should find an up-do and follow the "put it up and forget it" route on your way to your goal length. I am not saying you need to hide your hair- I don't agree with you that it looks "horrible" but hiding it from yourself might help if you feel that way. I hid my own hair from myself for about a year.

On the other hand, a trim to even up your hemline at the ends could do a lot for how you feel about your hair- if you have a hair dresser you trust and tell the person cutting that you are trying to grow your hair so you want the minimum removed. I don't think 1/2 inch would really set back your progress. I might not ask for "half an inch off all over" since you don't want layers. Ask for half of what length you are really willing to part with, maybe.

Carolyn
November 10th, 2010, 05:58 AM
If you think you are ready for a trim, I think a half inch shape up would do a lot for your ends. If you want to wait longer, then just wear it up most of the time. A peacock twist would work great as would a french braid. You could also try some Caruso steam rollers. They are safe as they use a gentle moist heat to curl the hair. Soft curls would help disguise what you don't like about your ends.

FrannyG
November 10th, 2010, 06:02 AM
While I understand that you want to wait until February for a trim, I have a very similar hair type to yours, and under no circumstances could I go for a year happily without a trim.

I honestly think that you might find that with a very small trim, you'll find that you are happier with your hair. I'm not talking about a big trim. Even a half inch will even up your hemline and perk you up.

With straight, fine hair, every little bit of unevenness shows, and I know that if I go more than four months without a tiny trim to even things up, I feel very unhappy about my hair.

So I know I'm not saying what you want to hear, but on the other hand, I've been where you are, and I've found that small trims 3 or 4 times a year while still growing is extremely helpful.

I understand the desire to want to hold off until your hair is longer, but if you're miserable in the meantime, I don't think it's worth it.

Also, if you wait until February, you may feel the need to get more than just a half inch trimmed off, as it will be much more uneven by then, due to varying growth rates of individual hairs.

As long as you have a hair stylist whom you trust to only trim off exactly what you ask, I say go and have a small trim.

AnnaJamila
November 10th, 2010, 06:24 AM
:scissors: I say go for it girly! I've found that trimming it regularly keeps me from having itchy trigger fingers when I'm holding scissors and it also helped my hair grow a little healthier- I haven't trimmed in several months (maybe April or May?!?) and my ends are still nice and even. Also I like to sit in a sunny window and go through my hair to snip any bends/breaks I may see. Though I will say this method KILLS your head until your hair is longer (major eye strain) so just do it in overlaping segments, not all at one time.
Lol, btw, those pics could have been of my hair! Perhaps we are long lost long haired sisters! haha :crush:

GrowingGlory
November 10th, 2010, 07:55 AM
A half inch trim would do wonders for your feelings about your hair, and it wouldn't hinder your progress. You are only a few inches away and have plenty of time to reach your goal.

sophiamarie
November 10th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I agree with the others regarding getting a small trim. Just half an inch. I also am growing out layers, and since I joined LHC in August, I have had 2 very small trims. It made the ends so much thicker and made me feel better about my hair.

jojo
November 10th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I also agree with the others your ends could do with a small trim to even things out, what you put off now will only need doing at a later date. In my honest opinion straight hair like yours is best cut little and often saves big chops later. Your hair looks lovely and healthy by the way.

JulietCapulet
November 10th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Why do you want to cut it? I think it looks nice, you should just leave it and maybe buy some pretty hair ornaments!

spidermom
November 10th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Blowing it straight definitely enhanced all the uneven bits, so if you want to avoid cutting - don't blow-dry. Wear your hair up when it vexes you. When you are ready for a trim, just have the longest bits trimmed back to line up with the majority of your ends, and you'll be good to go.

Valdeon
November 10th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Emm... I am not going to be very original here :D

As a straighty with fine hair I advice you go for a small trim. Half an inch or even less will make a huge difference in quality. So you will love your hair even more :cheese:

Linda K
November 10th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Emm... I am not going to be very original here :D

As a straighty with fine hair I advice you go for a small trim. Half an inch or even less will make a huge difference in quality. So you will love your hair even more :cheese:
I tend to agree. Just an "itty bitty trim" - I call it a "dusting - 1/8 - 1/4 inch to 'freshen' it. Even that little bit can feel wonderful ... :)

leslissocool
November 10th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I agree with the :scissors:... A small cut to enhance the hemline (half an inch) and make it more even. You'll feel like you actually have shape to your hair, instead of being stuck in an in between awkward stage...most people growing out layers and pixies feel like that...

linnepinne
November 10th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Hey! Possible hair twin! :D

I'm sorry, this is not going to make it easier for you... But I think you should wait with the trimming!

When I look at your pictures, it looks like your ends are in the same condition in all of them. It's not like they are getting worse and worse. I think you can get by with just a half inch trim even if you wait til february! And then you will have gained lots more length!

I'm in the same situation as you, and I promised myself not to trim til Christmas! (That will be six months, a new record for me!) My goal is to trim maybe twice a year.

Just baby and protect your ends the best you can (EVOO does wonders for mine when they are feeling velcro-y). You can do it! :cheer:

curlymarcia
November 10th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Your hair looks very nice, don't trim it yet. When you see damage or poor ends little trim will help. Again, is not your case.

Lisa R
November 10th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Thank you all for your input! Very much appreciated...:)

It was good to hear from a few people with my hair type. I do agree I would feel much better about my hair if I just had a tidy up.

I live in an area where there is no hairdresser but next week we will be going to a bigger place where there will be one. I haven't been to a hairdresser for well over a year and a half. As I mentioned I have been getting my mum to trim/cut my hair cause Hairdressers tend to just do what THEY think is best for ones hair. But I won't be seeing my mum till Feb next year.

I have already figured out what I will say to the hairdresser and what I will do to make sure they know exactly what I am wanting.

Look, worse case senario is they trim off a bit more than what I would like but it isn't the end of the world if they do. Hair does grow back!

Will update when I know what I am going to do and if I do it!!

Thank you all once again for your valuable and honest feedback. Much appreciated!

girlcat36
November 10th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I see no reason to cut your hair!
Spend the money on hairtoys instead to get you through.

chotee
November 11th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I come to the same point where i think only a cut is the solution. Well, i defenitely think so, but a very small trim is more than enough....i had a 5/6 inch cut once when i reached this point but it never helps. And you feel like you are growing it all the time....never reaching your goal....instead trimming and experimenting with different products to make it look more healthy, fuller and happier is the key :smile:

Toadstool
November 11th, 2010, 01:49 AM
I thought from your subject title you say you want help in resisting cutting. So....
DON'T DO IT!!!

Lisa R
November 11th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Well, I've booked myself in to the hairdressers for next Thursday. I haven't been to a hairdresser for a very long time. The lady I spoke to on the phone said she will be the one doing my hair. I told her that I'm growing my hair long and what I want etc. She was very lovely to talk to. I am also taking a photo of my hair (one of the blow-dried ones I have posted here recently) and I will show her on the pic what I want done. I think that will help her with me being able to point out on the pic what I want done and how much to take off etc.

Thanks again for all the advice! I will post pics once the job is done.

FrannyG
November 11th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Lisa, that's a great idea to take a photo with you so that you can show her clearly what you want done.

I think that if you're anything like me, you'll feel so much better after the trim. There is something so wonderful for us with this hair type to have nice thicker, neater looking ends.

I am very much looking forward to your photos after the trim. Wishing you well. :blossom:

Angelica
November 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I would say not to trim it yet, cutting it now will only be taking a step backwards. Unless you want to wear your hair loose I see no point in cutting it yet. You might regret it. Invest in some nice hair accessories and explore different ways to wear it.

Henrietta
November 11th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I think that half an inch won't make you reaching your goal later than you plan, so from that point of view you may trim. Sometimes one's hair grows even faster after a trim. I didn't believe it but it is so, at least in my case.

"Put it up and ignore" is also an option... You won't see your "fluffy" ends, which in my opinion aren't fluffy at all:D And you will stop your ends from getting split so fast.

Think about two week rule. It will help you decide if you want to cut or not...

Lisa R
November 11th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Sorry to all those people who have said not to trim!

Yes - I could put my hair up and try and forget about it. That is what I have been doing since Feb this year. I have bought lots of hair toys over the past few months and have no desire for more so that won't take my mind off the situation.

I would just like to see what a trim will do to my hair quality (look, feel).

When I reply after my trim I will be honest in my opinion. They may take off more than I want, it may not look like how I had imagined it or I may just be surprised with the result! Will have to wait and see:)

Chamomile betty
November 11th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I suggest wearing you up if you do not want to trim. Your hair will stay protected. An other option is to dust to get those layers off.

Anyway, you have very pretty hair.

cindy58
November 11th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I think you should relax about it and get a small trim. You'll have the length back before you know it and you'll enjoy and feel more confident about in the meantime.

girlcat36
November 11th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Sorry to all those people who have said not to trim!

Apology not necessary!!:)

Lisa R
November 11th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Yep - like my fellow LHC member said 'just relax it'll grow back in no time'. And that is so true!

I needed all your helpful advice to come to my decision. It can be hard sometimes to know what to do but after reading so many opinions I feel I have come to the right decision for me and my hair.

Thank you!:)

christine1989
November 12th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Curling it always helps me not cut. When you can't see the wispy ends you tend to forget them.