PDA

View Full Version : Can you experiment hairtstyle on a barbiemannequin/

Dreamkitty
November 10th, 2010, 04:31 AM
I was thinking that if a barbie or mannequin had a similar hair texture to humans, would it possible to experiment hairstyle on them, straighten or curl the hair, without risking our own hair?:D and then if it looks good we can try it on ourselves lol.

But I guess a barbie's hair texture is different to human hair?

When I was little I always use to braid my barbie's hair and admire its long hair, I one day got bored of it, was so cruel and chopped all its hair off:o I don't know why the hell I did that lol because I regretted what I had done and wanted its long hair back!

Lianna
November 10th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Doll hair is synthetic, it would melt with hot tools. Same as some synthetic hair for humans, though some withstand "some" heat. One of the reasons people choose human hair for extentions or wigs.

Gabriel
November 10th, 2010, 04:54 AM
You can purchase cosmetology mannequin heads for the purpose of styling as you would human hair. They use them in cosmetology school to learn the basics.

There are some differences in comparison to an actual person's head of hair of course. The results also can depend on the quality of the hair of the mannequin you use.

It is also important to remember that it's not a living head of hair so once you cut it or fry it, it's done. There's no growing it out or repairing it.

enfys
November 10th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I don't see the point trying hairstyles on anything else. I can braid other people's hair with nothing like the arm agony of doing my own. A styling head would probably go mouldy before a wet set dried on it.

I wouldn't mind a few short ones that I could try out short cuts on for DH because that would serve a practical use. Kinda. I've never messed his hair us as it is.

Madora
November 10th, 2010, 07:22 AM
You might be able to experiment on the Barbie manniquin head, IF you limited your experimentation to braids, buns, and the like.

Using the barbie head for styles involving heat or gel or other typical styling techniques would be a disaster.

I had one of those years ago and frankly gave up after a bit because the hair had a dry texture and was not slippery and easily manipulated. Of course it is made for little girls and had to stand up to heaven knows what, but it was a disappointment as far as creating braiding styles was concerned.

Willow
November 10th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Try to find a cosmetology mannequin. Just get one that has real hair and not the synthetic kind. They are really a lot of fun! You would need to get a stand, too. Ebay has a lot of them. If you get one with real human hair, you can do anything to them. I still have mine from cosm. school. Her hair is on the shorter side now but she came with bsl length hair.