PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about using regular conditioners as a leave-in

HintOfMint
November 10th, 2010, 12:03 AM
So it is basically impossible to find a leave-in conditioner/styling cream that doesn't have silicone or protein in it. Then I realized that I'm looking for what is essentially a regular conditioner, wrapped in marketing as a separate product! [Correct me if I'm wrong]

So what is your favorite regular conditioner that you use as a leave-in/styling product? Right now, I have Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition in my hair and it's nice, but I'm not crazy about the scent, so I don't know if I want it lingering in my hair.

morecowbell
November 10th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I have a hard time using a regular conditioner as a leave in unless it's really heavy. Lighter co's tend to make my hair dull/coated looking and feeling.
I love using GVP's Biolage Balm knockoff as a leave in, though! :) That stuff is the bomb-diggity. ;)
I've had great success mixing coconut oil in with it to emulsify, and then applying to wet/damp hair :)

TrudieCat
November 10th, 2010, 07:38 AM
These days I use a coney conditioner as a leave-in, but I've had good luck in the past with Suave naturals which is cone-free. I prefer the green apple scent. :) Products marketed as leave-ins don't really do much for me. I've seen a marked improvement in my hair since I started just using regular conditioner for this purpose.

duh_its_Sarah
November 10th, 2010, 07:39 AM
How much do you guys use? My hair is 3 inches from my butt.

curlsgalore
November 10th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Giovanni direct leave-in works well for me and it's an actual leave-in. As far as regular conditioners these work awesome for me....
GVP conditioning balm
Yes to Tomatoes
Yes to Cucumbers
Sally's honey almond conditioner (Salon Care)
Elucence moisture balance conditioner
Spiral Solutions deep treatment and or protein treatment

That's all I can think of at the moment....I pretty much use any of my conditioners as leave-in's but I prefer the thicker, richer ones. I have used Suave and some Nature's Gate conditioners as well with good results.

ETA: I use close to a tablespoon of conditioner as a leave-in right after I do a final rinse in my hair, still in the shower. My hair is tailbone length.

TrudieCat
November 10th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I use a little more than a tablespoon of condish leave-in on my almost BSL hair, plus some oil or Nightblooming Panacea. Sometimes I'll use even more conditioner, like up to twice as much. My hair's pretty thick and damaged, though.

GRU
November 10th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I've been using Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut for the better part of a year. I also use it for CO-washing and conditioning.

I dilute it in the bottle to make it runnier / easier to spread.

With my head really wet still, fresh out of the shower stream, I add the first glob to the top/scalp area of my head, mixing it well with the water on my head for more even distribution. After I have it well-blended, I squeegee the excess down my length. Then I add another glob to my length, squeezing/combing it through for even distribution. Then I squeegee the entire thing one more time to get rid of excess moisture, and add one last glob onto the last 4-6 inches of my ends, where the damage is the worst and the need is the greatest.

Note: Rinse the floor of the tub/shower when you're done.... leftover conditioner is SLIPPERY for the next poor sap getting into the shower!

curlsgalore
November 10th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Giovanni direct leave-in works well for me and it's an actual leave-in. As far as regular conditioners these work awesome for me....
GVP conditioning balm
Yes to Tomatoes
Yes to Cucumbers
Sally's honey almond conditioner (can't remember the name at the moment)
Elucence moisture balance conditioner
Spiral Solutions deep treatment and or protein treatment

That's all I can think of at the moment....I pretty much use any of my conditioners as leave-in's but I prefer the thicker, richer ones. I have used Suave and some Nature's Gate conditioners as well with good results.

ETA: I use close to a tablespoon of conditioner as a leave-in right after I do a final rinse in my hair, still in the shower. My hair is tailbone length.

I forgot to mention two other conditioners.....Kenra moisturizing and Aubrey organics honey suckle rose.

jojo
November 10th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Best bet is to buy a spray bottle and 1/4 fill it with you favourite conditioner and then top up with water. You could even add a drop of oil and some essential oil for scent and use this as a leave in. Ive done this in the past, just need to be careful not to be heavy handed or else you end up with greasy hair and just use it on the ends.

may1em
November 10th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I've had good luck with Kiss My Face Whenever and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose as leave-ins.

curlymarcia
November 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Hi, I use my regular conditioner as a leave in. In just dilute conditioner with a lit bit of water. I use it in wet or dry hair. The day I wash my hair I don't rinse out all the conditioner. It works really good for my curls :)

Aredhel77
November 10th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hi, I use my regular conditioner as a leave in. In just dilute conditioner with a lit bit of water. I use it in wet or dry hair. The day I wash my hair I don't rinse out all the conditioner. It works really good for my curls :)

I currently use Faith in Nature Aloe conditioner (available here in UK) as a leave-in - it's organic and non-coney. I only use a blob (1/2 a teaspoom maybe?) and concentrate on the ends.
, smoothing the remaining residue over the lengths.
I'm working my way through this range of conditioners and really liking them. I've tried 3 so far:)

PhillyGirl1978@
November 10th, 2010, 10:16 AM
So it is basically impossible to find a leave-in conditioner/styling cream that doesn't have silicone or protein in it. Then I realized that I'm looking for what is essentially a regular conditioner, wrapped in marketing as a separate product! [Correct me if I'm wrong]

So what is your favorite regular conditioner that you use as a leave-in/styling product? Right now, I have Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition in my hair and it's nice, but I'm not crazy about the scent, so I don't know if I want it lingering in my hair.

Triple Nutrition is good...but usually too much for a leave-in. It's usually too moisturizing to use as a leave in, I'll use that kind as a deep conditioner. I do use Sleek and Shine, I can use a little of this, mixed with some water as a leave-in. I do have LOTS of thick curly hair so this isn't too heavy for me.