PDA

View Full Version : Major static hair!

Nenwing
November 9th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Not sure if its just because my hair is getting longer, or winter coming on, but man is my hair ever staticky! I use leave-in conditioner, but it doesn't help, then it just gets limp and static. I don't really know how to wear it down without it forming a halo of static hair around my head!

I try to use moisturizing shampoos (tea tree oil organics stuff), but I guess that doesn't help. Also if I miss a day washing, then it is just greasy as well as static (not a flattering combination!)

I think part of it is that I have rather fine hair (each strand is fine), so it easily gets air-borne and feels the effects of static REALLY easily.

Any tips to help?

1hunky5monkeys
November 9th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I apply Static Guard to my hair by lightly spraying it on my brush/comb. :)

Nenwing
November 9th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I apply Static Guard to my hair by lightly spraying it on my brush/comb. :)

Hmm, interesting! Does it work for all day, or do you have to re-apply frequently?

BTW: Lovely hair in your avatar, I love the color!

Laurenji
November 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I used to have this problem all the time. Of course, that was before I started using conditioner.... so I'm not sure what to tell you, since it seems you're already using conditioner. Maybe try some other forms of moisturizing your hair? Or try to CO wash instead of using shampoo? I'm not sure what your hair care routine is, but I definitely get more staticky if I'm using a sulfate shampoo and/or a coney conditioner.

1hunky5monkeys
November 9th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Thank you! :)

One time a day usually works for me. If the static seems extra bad, I spray it on my clothing too. They have some trial size cans at Wal-Mart. ;)

RachelRain
November 9th, 2010, 11:05 PM
seconding Static Guard. I spray my brush with it (I may have to respray a few times, it depends on how long I have to spend brushing it), and depending on what I'm wearing for a shirt, I might spray that too.

I've also noticed that after using the static guard, if you've got a liquid leave in (like Infusium or Pantene), you can spray a few squirts in your hand, rub your hands together and run it down your hair. It seems to help a little extra for me, I just wish I'd thought about it sooner. I really could've used the extra help it gives in high school.

Also - depending on where the worst of your static is - add a humidifier. I know it was much worse as a kid because we had a woodstove and it dried all the air in the house out, so we added a huge pot of water on top of the thing that we refilled constantly, and we had a big humidifier running when people were home. That helps IMMENSELY. (with bloody noses at night too, which was nice. I really disliked those...)

Along those lines, you could try to find a small spray bottle and make your own leave in - about 2/3's hot water and a few squirts of conditioner shaken together works good for me for when I'm out.

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Protect it from weather and sleep! Satin bonnet for sleep and tuck hair into a knit cap when you go out side.

Nymphie
November 10th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I just have a little spray bottle with water and a tiny bit of conditioner. Used it for years and my classmates have borrowed it when their hair was static. :D

RecklessCharlie
November 10th, 2010, 01:24 AM
I had this for ages when I was using Shampoo. As soon as I switched to CO and then to my current routine of WO, zero static. Zilch. Nada.
I would encourage you to try switching to CO. It will also help end your battle with hair getting greasy quickly as that is simply a byproduct of the scalp being overly dry from constant shampooing and it producing more oil in an attempt to re-moisturize itself.
Good luck!

GRU
November 10th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I have horrible static at the office, where I have to use a little electric space heater to keep from freezing to death at my desk. It's so bad that when I walk out of my office past my metal door frame, I have to be careful not to brush up against it or I'll get shocked.

I brought some liquid laundry fabric softener from home (Snuggle, etc.) and watered it down, and every now and then I apply it all over my desk chair. I do this just before I leave at night so it's dry when I come in the next morning. This prevents the static from developing in the first place, which limits how much static electricity transfers to my hair.

UltraBella
November 10th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I used to have severe static issues but now that I put aloe in my hair, I have not seen one crazy flyaway :) Its like a small miracle :) it is so very dry where I live and the static drove me crazy. I just apply a liberal amount of aloe vera gel to damp hair and no static at all. And it feels soft and nice too !

Nenwing
November 11th, 2010, 10:21 AM
With conditioner only wash do you use the conditioner on your scalp too when you wash?

UltraBella, does your hair get crunchy/greasy from the gel? I have a bottle of garnier wet-shine gel that sometimes I use to keep down flyaways in ponytails, but I have to apply just the faintest brush or it will look greasy.

GRU
November 11th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I scrub my scalp with conditioner to clean it -- conditioner is my "shampoo".

And I don't experience any greasiness or crunchiness with aloe, which is one of the reason I like using it to smooth my hair when I bun or braid it. I absolutely HATE that "glued down" feeling that a typical hair gel gives you, but with aloe I can still comb my hair or run my fingers through it and it just feels like "hair" instead of "glued hair".

Nenwing
November 11th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks GRU, so you do clean the scalp as well with the conditioner.

Another question, GRU and UltraBella, what brand of aloe vera gel do you use?

GRU
November 11th, 2010, 12:16 PM
You're very welcome! Conditioner has surfactants like shampoo, just not as harsh or heavily concentrated, so that's what gives it the cleaning effect.

I use Fruit of the Earth aloe (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-Of-The-Earth-Aloe-Vera-Gel-12-oz/10314797) that I buy at Walmart -- just make sure you get the CLEAR kind, not the greenish one that has medicines/chemicals added to it.

Nenwing
November 13th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks GRU! I did try to use aloe gel at one point, but I am pretty sure it was the green stuff. My hair would get greasy/crunchy looking.

MNoelH
November 13th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I carry a fabric softener sheet (the kind you put in the dryer with your wet clothes) around in my coat pocket and rub it on my hair when I get static. This doesn't happen very much at home (Houston is very humid year round), but when visiting Washington DC and other arid climates, those things are a must have.

1hunky5monkeys
November 13th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I bought a boar bristle brush this week to try out. I have always used a wide tooth comb. The brush causes
static in my hair really bad! I wonder if it's a sign that the brush is not good for my type of hair?

1hunky5monkeys
November 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Its in the 60's-70's here so we are still using the air cond. I usually don't have static until we turn the heat on. So I don't know why the brush would cause static. :confused:

MNoelH
November 13th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I've found that boar bristle brushes create, somehow at the same time, flatness and static in any weather conditions. The hair that doesn't static out and get raised is clinging to my head something awful.

I think it has more to do with the friction it causes than the actual weather conditions.

I don't use the brush any more.

1hunky5monkeys
November 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I've found that boar bristle brushes create, somehow at the same time, flatness and static in any weather conditions. The hair that doesn't static out and get raised is clinging to my head something awful.

I think it has more to do with the friction it causes than the actual weather conditions.

I don't use the brush any more.

That's what I experienced. So its back to my wide-tooth comb! :grin:

UltraBella
November 13th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I use the same aloe as Gru and it works great. I experimented today and put my normal amount of aloe in and then repeated, essentially doubling the aloe in my hair and I am generous to start with. No crunch, no weirdness, just super soft hair with no flyaways. Seriously love the stuff !!

Nenwing
November 14th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Sounds like its good stuff then!

Nenwing
November 14th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Well I tried the static guard today. I sprayed my hair, and then the brush and brushed that through my hair just before going to work. I wore it down with a headband, and STILL it did the flyaway static near my face!

I think my hair just does not want to ever look nice down lol!
Onwards to aloe vera gel then!

Chrissy
November 14th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I've been having this problem too. Thankfully I do have that Aloe Gel already but never thought to use it for the static. Thanks! :)

Nenwing
November 14th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Let me know how it works for you Chrissy! :)

LHGypsyRose
November 14th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Hi, I have been away from the boards for sometime now and am just now returning. I saw your post and I can definetely relate to the static problem. My hair has always been prone to static during the cold winter months. I would definately follow the advice on using a humidifier, it helps me a lot. Also, I mostly use a seamless comb, but I do occasionally like using my bore bristle brush to spread oil throughout the length of my hair. The brush makes my hair full of static also, but as someone else mentioned, you could try mixing approximately 1/4 cup of your favorite conditioner and about 1 cup of water and put in a spray bottle, then after brushing, and throughout the day, lightly mist over the hair and then smooth with your hands. Another idea would be to wear a damp bun, you can even bun a ponytail that is held by a damp scruncie. Another thing I find that helps me a lot with static is Camellia oil. It is really light.. only takes a few drops depending on you hair length. Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

Nenwing
November 14th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks LHGypsyRose! I shall keep experimenting!

mellie89
November 14th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I posted this in your other thread, Nenwing, but I use a drop of jojoba oil and it gets rid of frizz and static without making my hair look greasy. Coconut oil would work fine too, I'm sure.

Dryer sheets also work in a pinch. I'm not sure how great they are for your hair, though.

Melisande
November 15th, 2010, 04:52 AM
I use cocaloe against static flyaways - I live in a very hot and super dry climate. I mix one third coconut oil with two thirds aloe vera gel, and that's it. Great stuff for keeping the bun looking sleek over time, and even better for controlling the static halo.

Nenwing
November 15th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Thank you mellie89 and Melisande for the ideas!

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I habitually oil my hair and never have static on low humidity days. My hair is very fine too and I used to have static in the past. So I think it is the oil that is preventing the static.

Nenwing
November 19th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Well I got a bottle of that aloe vera gel, and it worked a little at first slather. Then my hair became a static flyaway mess again!

I think my hair really just isn't meant to be worn down and have it look nice. It refuses to cooperate. I think I would have to go around with constantly damp hair in order for it to stop with the static.

Laurenji
November 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I carry a fabric softener sheet (the kind you put in the dryer with your wet clothes) around in my coat pocket and rub it on my hair when I get static. This doesn't happen very much at home (Houston is very humid year round), but when visiting Washington DC and other arid climates, those things are a must have.

I had to laugh at this. I recently moved to Washington, DC from Utah. To me, DC is a swamp...

I used to use a dryer sheet as well. I've also noticed that different kinds of conditioner and washing methods make all the difference. When I started COing, I had absolutely no static at all. Now that I'm back to washing my hair with a regular shampoo and some slightly cone-y conditioner on the length (not entirely by choice, mind you) I'm starting to see static again.

pixistixx
November 19th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I have really fine thin hair that always gets major static, especially at work in the bookstore, where it is always really dry from the books soaking up the excess moisture. If I put the tiniest bit of shea butter on my palms, then add maybe a half teaspoon of water and rub vigourously, then smooth onto my hair, ends first, then slide them down the length, that seems to help more than anything else I've tried. then i'll dampen the strands of hair nearest my face and put a tad more there, as those are the most bothersome areas to feel the static, for me anyway :)

Sunsailing
November 21st, 2010, 06:47 PM
Besides Static Guard, any type of dryer sheet should work. Just keep a fresh one with you.
The comments about water are dead on too...anything to let your hair become neutrally charged again.

But from your description, are you sure you have a static problem? Are you sure your hair is becoming charged?