PDA

View Full Version : CO Washing and Acne

laughinglynxie
November 9th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I just started CO Washing a lot more often - my scalp is actually doing just fine, no greasy problems. When I use a shampoo, it's the California Baby Sensitive...usually twice a week.

Anyway, what I have noticed is that I've been getting some acne issues on the sides of my face, neck, and upper back! Eeek! Has anyone else had this happen to them when they switched to CO Washing more often? I clip it up while I do the rest of my showering and wait to wash my body until after I rinse my hair out. Like I said, my scalp has been fine... :( Not cool.

Do you all think this will improve, or should I go back to daily shampooing? I really don't want to be dealing with acne at 27 years old. :rolleyes:

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Are you sure it's from the CO washing? I noticed I had some problems when I tried oiling near my hairline, but I haven't seen anything with CO washing.

laughinglynxie
November 9th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Are you sure it's from the CO washing? I noticed I had some problems when I tried oiling near my hairline, but I haven't seen anything with CO washing.

Yes, I believe so! It's been the only change I have made in the last few weeks. (It's also not PMS related, either, hehe.)

Vermelha
November 9th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure about co-washing, because regular conditioning didn't do that to me, but when I left my conditioner in, it did cause me really bad bacne.

HintOfMint
November 9th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Between hair and skin, I'll always choose skin. I had to give up overnight coconut oilings because of acne problems. Maybe my hair isn't as perfect as it was before, but it had to go. *shrug*

laughinglynxie
November 9th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Between hair and skin, I'll always choose skin. I had to give up overnight coconut oilings because of acne problems. Maybe my hair isn't as perfect as it was before, but it had to go. *shrug*

Phew, good to know that I'm not forsaking my hair by wanting to have clear skin. :)

Vermelha
November 9th, 2010, 09:28 PM

I agree with that! Forget hair if it's causing my skin to look bad. Sorry hair, but bad skin is harder to fix than bad hair.

Intransigentia
November 10th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I found that CO-washing actually improved my acne. But I can't be 100% certain of that - that's also when I went cone-free. I think the coney conditioner I'd been using previously, clogged my pores. (Plus the shampoo was stripping out the oils, leading to overproduction)

If you're liking what CO does for your hair and would prefer not to have to give it up, I'd recommend making absolutely sure your conditioner has no cones, and/or trying switching to a lighter-weight/cheaper conditioner. But I agree with everybody else, skin is priority 1.

mariika
November 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Between hair and skin, I'll always choose skin.
Me too, I really can't get past having acne.

enfys
November 10th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I have read other members have found this. Could you try a method of washing where your hair doesn't touch your skin at all when it's got conditioner on it? Maybe rinse upside down (not everyone can do this without tangling, but it's worth a try) or wash your hair over the sink then when it's rinsed and clean clip it up and shower the rest of you? Maybe more time consuming but it might help your skin.

How often do you actually CO wash, and why? Since you shampoo twice a week too could you be causing you scalp to produce more oils?

It's not something I've experienced (I don't CO but I did try it without any ill effects to my skin) but hopefully this helps.

Linnykinz
November 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I noticed when I would rinse the condish out of my hair carelessly, I would get the water all overmy shoulders, back, and face...coincidentally, I would get acne all over those places too. It took me a while to make a connection (actually I had to post a thread on it!) but now I wait to wash until after I've rinsed my hair completely. It makes showers longer but my skin clearer. I know you may not think it, but conditioner can really cling to your skin in a shower and might remain when you think you've washed it all off.

Another thing to take into consideration is, is your hair down, on your back and over your shoulders, or regularly touching the sides of your face when it's dry? If so, it may be your hair just has too much lovely oils for your own skin's good. If not, and you keep it up and away, it may very well be the rinsing.

Sorry if this post is a bit redundant, I just found this was the only thing that worked for me, because I would rinse and rinse and rinse after washing my hair but was still getting outbreaks something awful!

CaityBear
November 10th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I used to get really bad bacne when I would let the conditioner sit in my hair and have it against my back. I hadn't really thought of it until my mom suggested it. I always put my hair in a clip when I let the conditioner sit and it's definitely helped with the issue. Definitely don't get as many pimples on my back.

Never had a problem anywhere else. I do wash my face after I wash my hair though. This way if I do get conditioner on my face, it gets washed away instead of just rinsed. That might be something to try??

laughinglynxie
November 11th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I had been CO washing every day with cheapie cone-free conditioners. I added the sulfate-free shampooing a couple times a week because after three or so days I could tell my scalp was getting little bumpies on it. Like I said, my hair didn't FEEL greasy or weighed down...just my skin was being weird.

But I suppose washing with my California Baby every day really isn't terrible. Just wanted to try some new methods for my hair. :)

laughinglynxie
November 11th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I noticed when I would rinse the condish out of my hair carelessly, I would get the water all overmy shoulders, back, and face...coincidentally, I would get acne all over those places too. It took me a while to make a connection (actually I had to post a thread on it!) but now I wait to wash until after I've rinsed my hair completely. It makes showers longer but my skin clearer. I know you may not think it, but conditioner can really cling to your skin in a shower and might remain when you think you've washed it all off.

Another thing to take into consideration is, is your hair down, on your back and over your shoulders, or regularly touching the sides of your face when it's dry? If so, it may be your hair just has too much lovely oils for your own skin's good. If not, and you keep it up and away, it may very well be the rinsing.

Sorry if this post is a bit redundant, I just found this was the only thing that worked for me, because I would rinse and rinse and rinse after washing my hair but was still getting outbreaks something awful!

Thanks! Yes, I do clip my hair up most of the time and when showering, I wash my skin after rinsing my hair upside-down (or as far away from my body as I can). :) My skin is SO picky. Not only is it oily, but at the same time, I have annoying perioral dermatitis so THAT part of my skin is soooo dry. I'm still trying different natural products for that. haha.

aenflex
November 11th, 2010, 09:43 AM
How about the final step before leaving the shower is: Use a soaped up backbrush to scrub that puppy and rinse it real well.
I occasionally get bacne, though it's very rare, but it's always when I get lazy with the back brush.