PDA

View Full Version : Drain clog nightmare!

Vermelha
November 9th, 2010, 09:20 PM
*gross alert* If you think hair clogs are gross, don't read ;) thanks!

Yesterday, I unclogged my drain in what was the most embarrassing moment ever. The drain was clean 2 months ago, but it had started slowing down significantly lately. I twisted a coat hanger down the drain and pulled out a hair clog that was probably the size of a ferret! I wanted to scream it was so horrible! I was sooooo embarrassed!

So this Sunday, I changed my hair washing routine. Now I no longer wash and detangle my hair in the shower. Now I part my hair and apply shampoo to my hair and scalp and massage outside of the shower, then I rinse in the shower, then detangle wet hair outside of the shower. *phew* I'll never do THAT again! It also saved me a LOT of running water.

Anywho, has something similar happened to anyone else?

Niwa
November 9th, 2010, 09:21 PM
When I used to detangle my hair daily, I would have to pull up huge, gross balls of hair roughly every week. I could see the hairs crisscrossed over my drain, so I would just reach down, grab some and yank hard until the rest followed. Gross. Very gross, especially since the hairs would come up covered in conditioner and body wash.

Flossy
November 9th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I am pretty good about getting the hair out (by that, I mean shoving it down the drainhole when I remember), but it must have been a while because my 3 and 5 year old were playing with it when they had a shower yesterday! Ewwww! It was disposed of quick smart after that!

jojo
November 9th, 2010, 09:25 PM
oh yes I get this too looks like a mushy rat when you get it out, a good tip get some hair remover cream from pound shops or dollar shops depending where you are and squeeze the whole tube in the plug hole, leave overnight and then in the morning boil a kettle and pour boiling water down the plug hole and volia! clean drains!

Vermelha
November 9th, 2010, 09:26 PM
When I used to detangle my hair daily, I would have to pull up huge, gross balls of hair roughly every week. I could see the hairs crisscrossed over my drain, so I would just reach down, grab some and yank hard until the rest followed. Gross. Very gross, especially since the hairs would come up covered in conditioner and body wash.

Yeah! Mine was covered in conditioner and solid oil and body wash...and whatever crap goes down the drain...nasty!

Vermelha
November 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM
oh yes I get this too looks like a mushy rat when you get it out, a good tip get some hair remover cream from pound shops or dollar shops depending where you are and squeeze the whole tube in the plug hole, leave overnight and then in the morning boil a kettle and pour boiling water down the plug hole and volia! clean drains!

Hmm! That's neat! I'll give that a shot. My mother did the boiling water and bleach mixture, but I can't stand bleach!

What we used to do was use my older sister's hair relaxer base and mix it with water and pour it down the drain. Same ingredients as Drano (sorry those who use relaxers...)

Vermelha
November 9th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I am pretty good about getting the hair out (by that, I mean shoving it down the drainhole when I remember), but it must have been a while because my 3 and 5 year old were playing with it when they had a shower yesterday! Ewwww! It was disposed of quick smart after that!

Oh dear :o That's what I worry about! My 3 year old niece comes over and gets her hair washed here...don't want her grabbing my hairs...

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I use this to keep hair from going down the drain - works pretty well! I just pick it up and overturn it over the trash after the shower's dry.

http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Stopper-Drain-Protector-Strainer/dp/B003B02L2G

Vermelha
November 9th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I use this to keep hair from going down the drain - works pretty well! I just pick it up and overturn it over the trash after the shower's dry.

You know, i bought one similar to that, but my stupid drain has this screw in it that sticks out. It worked in my dorm drain though!

This is really essential if you wash and detangle in the shower though! In my next apartment, I will get another one of these.

KittyLost
November 10th, 2010, 03:53 AM
I never used to think I was that bad with hair clogging the drain, although it can only be me because I'm the only one in the house with hair longer than standard boy cut. I noticed the water building up but I could only see a few hairs wrapped around the plug hole.

So I innocently pulled it up and instead of a few measly hairs, out popped a HUGE clump of multicoloured hair with conditioner from when I've dyed it. Pink, Red, Blue, Green, Brown. It was disgusting! It took more than one pull to clear the drain too. So I keep a closer check on it now :p

WinterInBloom
November 10th, 2010, 04:01 AM
I've had the same thing happen. It's easy to forget or not think about the drain until it slows up. :p

Qadupae
November 10th, 2010, 04:55 AM
One time I had to clean out the basement shower's drain because it was starting to slow up. The clogged hair was about softball size and covered in mold, old henna, and old indigo mixture. It was soooo gross ><

I tried using a hair drain cover in the upstairs shower, but our roommate never empties it out after his shower and its so gross. We've asked him several times that we all have to empty it after we take a shower, just won't listen. He is so disgusting >< So now when the shower slows up, we make him clean it ^_^

Dragon
November 10th, 2010, 05:13 AM
I so hate the smell when cleaning out the hair.

redkdawg
November 10th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I comb out my hair before washing in the shower, that way not as much comes out & down the drain. I also use a hair stopper. I also use a drano drain cleaner once in a while.

Another good remedy when it clogs is to pour some baking soda down the pipe, then pour some vinegar after it. :)

TrudieCat
November 10th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I don't mind cleaning my own hair out of the drain, but it's really gross when you move into a new-to-you but old to the world apartment and the drain is already slow. Then you gotta, uh, deal with it. Ewwwww. shudder:

GRU
November 10th, 2010, 09:17 AM

I have a similar style... haven't had to clean out the drain since I started using it! It's also great for collecting sheds for strand testing!

You know, i bought one similar to that, but my stupid drain has this screw in it that sticks out. It worked in my dorm drain though!

This is really essential if you wash and detangle in the shower though! In my next apartment, I will get another one of these.

They make different styles for different drain types -- take a look around in some hardware and plumbing stores (or even Walmart) and you'll probably find something that will work for your current situation.

My tub has a funky "push down to close / push down again to open" type of plug... I just unscrewed it entirely. If someone wants to take a bath instead of a shower (rare in our house), they screw the plug back in; otherwise, it just lives in the cabinet under the sink.

I tried using a hair drain cover in the upstairs shower, but our roommate never empties it out after his shower and its so gross. We've asked him several times that we all have to empty it after we take a shower, just won't listen. He is so disgusting >< So now when the shower slows up, we make him clean it ^_^

I had the same problem with a non-conformist at my house (I won't share the disgusting details). My solution is to just put the drain cover on when I shower, then clean it out and rinse it off when I'm done. I leave it sitting on the ledge of the tub for storage in between showers. It takes maybe five seconds of my time, and it's sooooooo much nicer than dealing with someone else's icky leftovers!!!

GRU
November 10th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I comb out my hair before washing in the shower, that way not as much comes out & down the drain.

Just fyi, this isn't an option for those of us with Type 3 hair! :bigeyes:

cmnt831
November 10th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Oh my gosh, this is the funniest thread ever! I'm subscribing for the good tips, though. I really need it after I found a great glob of dh's hair down the sink drain. No clue what he's doing with his hair in the sink. :rolleyes:

Vermelha
November 10th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Just fyi, this isn't an option for those of us with Type 3 hair! :bigeyes:

Well I tried it on wet hair after my shower and it worked fine. I'm looking for any alternative to clogging the drain like that again.

sweet*things
November 10th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I try to keep my hair out of the drains, but once a year or so we always seem to need to clear them out. If it's a regular occurrance, you may want to invest in one of these things:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgy/R-100048949/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053#BVRRWidgetID

GRU
November 10th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Well I tried it on wet hair after my shower and it worked fine. I'm looking for any alternative to clogging the drain like that again.

My comment was directed to the person I quoted... the one with 1A hair who combs their hair before getting it wet / conditioning it first! I pity the fool who comes after my morning hair with a comb!!!! ;)

squiggyflop
November 10th, 2010, 12:32 PM
well. im we dont pull the clogs up.. we just use draino.. it costs about 8$ every time it happens... but we never have to actually see the hairball

ive found the best way to avoid clogs is to detangle my hair thoroughly before i bathe.. this gets a lot of the loose hairs out before i even get wet.. and to use a 'hairstopper' (like 2$ at walmart).. it catches the hair before it can go down the drain

jojo
November 10th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hmm! That's neat! I'll give that a shot. My mother did the boiling water and bleach mixture, but I can't stand bleach!

What we used to do was use my older sister's hair relaxer base and mix it with water and pour it down the drain. Same ingredients as Drano (sorry those who use relaxers...)

I hate bleach too the smell urgh!

GRU
November 10th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I just saw this and had to share:

Shower Zombie (http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/edadd5bb-7516-44e1-a53b-7a97e1c68aa4.jpg)

Linda K
November 10th, 2010, 01:57 PM

LOL! That is funny! (As well as the "mushy rat"!)

I keep forgetting to pick one up!
I'm not washing as frequently, but my hubby also has shoulder length hair. About once a month (drain slows) I use a tool that looks like an ice pick but the end is bent at a right angle - I hook it out with that - sometimes a needle nose pliers helps too! :)

jeanniet
November 10th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I use a pair of really long tweezers to clean out the drains that a Drain Stopper won't work in. I just do it whenever they seem to be slowing down.

If you have a septic system, be careful what you put down it in terms of drain cleaners or you'll upset the bacterial balance. We can't use any chemical drain cleaners or bleach. If I need to clean the drains after pulling out the hair, I use vinegar or citric acid and baking soda.

BrightEyes7
November 10th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I use a drain screen. Similar to Piggy's but I got mine at Petsmart in the dog wash/shampoo aisle. It was about $2 and it goes up rather than down so you can use it on any drain!!

Copasetic
November 10th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Story of my life! Every month I pull out a foot-long dread lock of hair from my shower drain. It doesn't gross me out or embarrass me. I kind of take pride in it.

Alvrodul
November 10th, 2010, 02:40 PM
My comment was directed to the person I quoted... the one with 1A hair who combs their hair before getting it wet / conditioning it first! I pity the fool who comes after my morning hair with a comb!!!! ;)
And to think that I have always wanted curls!! :rolleyes: (Not that I was able to really manage them when I did buy them - years ago now)
But for my almost-straight hair, combing the hair before washing my hair certainly cuts down on the problem. Doesn't get rid of it entirely, but when it is needed, I do a bit of chemical warfare against the Thing that Lurks in the Drain! :tbear:

GRU
November 10th, 2010, 07:03 PM
And to think that I have always wanted curls!! :rolleyes: (Not that I was able to really manage them when I did buy them - years ago now)

It certainly is an entirely different world, being a curly!

Mamakash
November 10th, 2010, 07:41 PM
These work great! Not nearly expensive as a snake. My co worker recommended it, they cleaned out a drain at work.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xil/R-100665735/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If you're a long haired knight, this will become your sword :D. My shower drain was slowing and I could not reach down in the drain to pull out the hair. This did the job. The hair tangle was about the size of a rat! Ick! I plan to do this periodically to make sure it doesn't over clog again. Maybe the next time, I won't find as much hair. Here's hoping!

Vermelha
November 10th, 2010, 07:51 PM
These work great! Not nearly expensive as a snake. My co worker recommended it, they cleaned out a drain at work.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xil/R-100665735/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If you're a long haired knight, this will become your sword :D. My shower drain was slowing and I could not reach down in the drain to pull out the hair. This did the job. The hair tangle was about the size of a rat! Ick! I plan to do this periodically to make sure it doesn't over clog again. Maybe the next time, I won't find as much hair. Here's hoping!

Interesting! I'll try anything because I don't have $90 to give to the plumber (again).

misspriss
November 10th, 2010, 08:11 PM

I have this exact model. It works wonders. I usually pull the wet hair off of it as soon as I get out of the shower though instead of waiting for it to dry, because I have roommates and I shed enough hair that it slows down the drain with one or two uses.

Actually, I use it with the screw in the middle. I took a utility knife and cut out a very small hole (I just had to cut the space between the tiny holes) and it fits perfectly. I worried that hair would get through since it was cut, but it tends to collect on the little nubs on the outside. A few hairs may get through, but not enough to clog.

Vermelha
November 10th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I have this exact model. It works wonders. I usually pull the wet hair off of it as soon as I get out of the shower though instead of waiting for it to dry, because I have roommates and I shed enough hair that it slows down the drain with one or two uses.

Actually, I use it with the screw in the middle. I took a utility knife and cut out a very small hole (I just had to cut the space between the tiny holes) and it fits perfectly. I worried that hair would get through since it was cut, but it tends to collect on the little nubs on the outside. A few hairs may get through, but not enough to clog.

I was thinking of doing that, but I didn't have a good enough knife that would cut it. I do now, so I may need to try it. Good idea! :)

Sunsailing
November 10th, 2010, 08:52 PM
When we replaced our tub, I insisted that it have the type of drain that has a grated cover. The stopper is located down, inside the pipe. My wife and I both have hair, so it was almost a requirement.

It's easy to remove the hair after each shower, because it does not go down the drain.

CaityBear
November 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM
As I detangle I try to grab all the hair and roll it in a ball and put it on the edge of the tub to throw out once I'm done...sometimes I forget and have a whole bunch of little hairballs on my tub...it's gross but better than blocking up the drain! lol

My mom also got a drain cover for when I was living at home (but then I moved so she just gave it to me) and that catches the hair, but I sometimes have to remove the hair and do the ball thing in the middle of the shower because sometimes it blocks up the drain altogether. lol

urara12
November 11th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I am using like this
http://www.amazon.com/Hawk-HAIR-TRAPPER/dp/B001EOFQA0

it's just put over the drain, there is lot kind of size.
and you don't have to screw out the drain cover.
usual chinese market or japanese marker carry them.

misspriss
November 11th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I am using like this
http://www.amazon.com/Hawk-HAIR-TRAPPER/dp/B001EOFQA0

it's just put over the drain, there is lot kind of size.
and you don't have to screw out the drain cover.
usual chinese market or japanese marker carry them.

I tried one like that, but there weren't very many holes and it tended to let water pool up around it, and then it would float. It didn't work as well for me as the one I mentioned I used earlier in the thread. Also, because it only has a small area of holes, they quickly got covered in my hair which migh have contributed to the water collecting and it floating away. The one I used kind of humps up and then goes down, and has a much larger surface area that is covered in tiny bumps that grab onto the hair. It kind of spreads it out and still lets water through.

spidermom
November 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM
It's about time for me to unclog the drain. I've been putting it off, but the other two people in the house have very short hair, and they've been giving me "the look". Sigh.... I hate this chore.

GRU
November 11th, 2010, 11:08 AM
This is what I used to use every couple of weeks before I got my drain cover -- they do work very well. It's "supposed" to be a one-time-use disposable item, but I just cleaned mine off using toilet paper and stored it in its box until the next time.

But you're right back to dealing with the "soggy / smelly / moldy / soap-scummy / mushy rat" situation.... with my drain cover, I never have to see (or smell) that nasty stuff anymore! :D