PDA

View Full Version : What WON'T you do or give up for your hair??

jenjen10
November 9th, 2010, 03:17 PM
We do so many different things to help our hair along in the process of growing out that I thought it might be interesting to see what some of the habits some of us are NOT willing to part with in the quest for long hair.

For myself, I have slathered monistat on my head, regularly mud up with henna (despite the complaints from my children about the smell! hehe), use more oil on my hair than I do in my kitchen but I WON'T give up my hot showers no matter how many people say it puts hair at risk (in my defense I do try to only rinse my hair with lukewarm water) and I use a three barrel curling iron on my hair once a week.

What "bad" habits have you hung onto?

DuckyDot
November 9th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Hot Showers! And lots of styling products and such, I use about 4 products per day!

Dvips
November 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Letting my cat sleep on my head.

He breaks the hairs (right on top too :( ) but he is getting old and pretty much gets to do whatever makes him happy these days. Plus, he purrs for about a half an hour every time her lays down on my head, and I like drifting off to sleep to his purr. :inlove: (Of course, I'm no so fond of waking up to his snores :lol: ).

Dreams_in_Pink
November 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Blow drier. I parted ways with heat but i have to blowdry because hair just won't dry the natural way :(

<3OnHerSleeve
November 9th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I do have hot showers, but I keep my hair out of the way and then wash with cold water at the end. I still have my heating appliances, I couldn't throw them out. They're for the once or twice a month use for when I want to have my hair styled :)

linnepinne
November 9th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I still blow dry my bangs... And I still tend to carefully tease (At least I try) and then put my hair up on the last, and greasiest day, before washing day. But I guess I will stop with the teasing when my hair gest longer. It's still that short that I can get away with "little" damage.

Otherwise, I think I'm quite open about both changing my routines, products, tools and toys. I like to experiment and always like to find new exciting stuff that works well for my hair :)

Anje
November 9th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Warm showers. There is no freaking way I'm going to wash my head in cool water for the rest of my life.

BeautifulBella
November 9th, 2010, 03:39 PM
my bad habit I don't want to give up is perming. I get that it is an extremely harmful thing to do to my hair but I simply cannot manage my natural texture.

Monsterkitti
November 9th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Definatly hot showers :) No way I could give them up.

HairFaerie
November 9th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I won't give up hot showers! No way!

I also won't give up blow drying in the winter time.

VitisVinifera
November 9th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Dye. I've never used much heat or a lot of products, I rarely use elastics, I've even given up shampoo and conditioner, but I just can't let go of the dye!

gossamer
November 9th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Won't give up caffeine or alcohol. I'm a grad student, my blood is pretty much an equal mix of the two already. (kidding, kidding) I rarely overconsume either substance, but each has its uses some days.

Drarra
November 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Hair elastics and hot showers. I LOVE braiding my hair, and that's one of the reasons I grew it long. My slippery, straight hair won't stay in by itself, so elastics it is. I adore braids!

HintOfMint
November 9th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hot showers. Seriously, you can pry the knob from my warm and pruney dead hands.

I also flat iron my bangs pretty religiously. I have no intention of growing them out anytime soon, so I can abuse them.
Also, wearing my hair down. I used to wear it up all the time, but lately I have realized that I like having it down and as long as I fingercomb frequently, it's not too bad. I want to enjoy my hair.

Now that I think about it, I have given up so much for my hair. I gave up coney conditioners, plastic bristled brushes (heck, brushing in general), heat, hairspray, any product with protein, and having a normal wash and condition routine. If my hair feels like throwing a hissy fit, girlfriend needs to suck it up and deal. :p

Dreams_in_Pink
November 9th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Also, wearing my hair down. I used to wear it up all the time, but lately I have realized that I like having it down and as long as I fingercomb frequently, it's not too bad. I want to enjoy my hair.

I forgot about that one completely!!! :D That too, i love wearing my hair down!

Flossy
November 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I'm not going to stop blowdrying the front of my hair, the rest can dry naturally but I have give the front a blast or I will have crazy cowlicks flicking hair everywhere.

I also won't give up my highlights. I just couldn't face the mirror every morning with a whole head of my natural colour.

spidermom
November 9th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Swimming and snorkeling. In fact, if I lived in a place where I could go snorkeling anytime I wanted, I'd gladly sacrifice most of my hair. (The mask strap is hel on long hair.)

MsBubbles
November 9th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I don't seem to want to give up piling my hair on top of my head in the shower after washing it, or twisting it up in a towel after I get out.

pepperminttea
November 9th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Swimming (chlorinated pool) - although I do aim to schedule them near wash days. :o

sibiryachka
November 9th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I will not give up hot showers. I will not put anything on my head that makes me want to retch just from looking at it (molasses in SMT).
I had pretty much given up wearing my hair down, but found I missed half-up way too much, so I've been reclaiming it, now that it's cool enough that I don't need it off my neck - just being mindful about when and where. It's fine for at home, plus it's DBF's favorite style on me. May as well indulge him, especially when it's what I prefer too ;)

Valdeon
November 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Brushing instead of combing. No can do - I looove my brush :p

And I still cannot force myself to buy a satin pillow case :o:o:o

Kristin
November 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I will never give up hot showers and blow drying my bangs. And I will wear my hair down as much as I want. No point in having it, otherwise.

Tonks
November 9th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Elastics, as someone else here mentioned, as I also adore braids :)
I've easily and happily given up heat, so :)
I don't think I'll ever give up the olive oil. My hair just eats it right up, I almost feel like I don't even need a conditioner! (or I could get away with a thin one)

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Brushing instead of combing. No can do - I looove my brush :p

Me neither!! Mostly b/c I don't want to sleep on satin sheets, but I refuse to sleep on a nonmatching pillow case!

Also, wearing my hair down. And constantly tossing my hair around, and flipping it over my shoulder, when it is down (^(oo)^)

GeoJ
November 9th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I won't give up hot showers or any of the physical activities that I enjoy.

starlights
November 9th, 2010, 05:24 PM
oiling my hair so much! my hair loves it, I DONT, lol

enfys
November 9th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Won't do: Henna. I don't care how good it is, my colour's better (on me!)

Won't give up: Warmth. I will blow dry and have comfortable showers unless I'm already very warm. My hair doesn't seem to mind anyway. I still use hair elastics and bobby pins and whatnot but my hair shows no damage from them either.

Wow. I will not complain about my hair anytime soon...

jojo
November 9th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I love my oilings and no way could I give them up, nor the occasional coney conditioner or my CHI silk infusion serum and I still like to do the odd straighten to show off the length but ive just joined a club on here not to use any heat at all, so time will tell on that one!

Dolly
November 9th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Warm showers and wearing my hair down most of the time....

kschr2004
November 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
1) Hairspray. I know it's supposed to be really bad for your hair, but I can't stand my hair in my face, and when I wear it down, a little hairspray is the only way to keep it in place.

2) Dye. Only because it is covering up the old highlights on the bottom part of my hair. I do try to extend as long as possible between dyeing my hair though. And I was able to give up the dye the last time I grew my hair long, so maybe once the old highlights have grown out, I can do that again.

KellyC
November 9th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Elastics, I use them everyday, and my Redken shampoo and conditioner. I know it's bad, but I can't find a natural product that makes my hair feel as good. And I think I'm one of the only people that LIKE cold/lukewarm showers:)

Skylight
November 9th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Monistat. Or really, any off-label drug use. Makes me nervous.

Rennire
November 9th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I won't start eating meat and I won't stop having long hot showers =)

KittyLost
November 9th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Ponytails :(

gotzbrainz
November 9th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hot showers, hair dye, and hotrollers. neeeeeeeeed them

Angeletti
November 9th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Hair coloring, I love changing the colors and I'm not a fan of my natural color so won't be going natural anytime soon.

GuardGirl
November 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I WON'T give up regular trims. I have a great appreciation for those that can go months and months and years and years without taking scissors to their hair and it still be fabulous. I'm just not one of those people. If I go more than 2-3 months between trims, I can definitely see a difference in the way my hair behaves. I don't know, maybe once most of my old damage is gone I will be able to stretch out the time in betweens scissor visits. Til then, SNIP SNIP! :)

akhkharu
November 9th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Like most people, I can't stand cold showers. I do make an effort to take less hot showers though; warm showers make my skin and hair feels so much better than hot ones, especially in in winter.

christine1989
November 9th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I gave up hot showers over a year ago but I just cannot resist using a coney conditioner once in a while. I also love the look of my hair after I brush it with a fine tooth comb.

pepperminttea
November 9th, 2010, 07:14 PM
And I think I'm one of the only people that LIKE cold/lukewarm showers:)

You're not alone, I do too. :) I'm a wimp with even the hint of hot temperatures, so my showers are generally cool in summer and lukewarm in winter. It being good for my hair is just a nice bonus. :D

catysue
November 9th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I will not stop using elastics. I use metal-free ones and I'm not so monumentally concerned about the damage they may cause that I'll give up the convenience and ease of use.

I also will not trim - not for a while, at least. I have quite a few split/damaged ends, but my hair more or less looks healthy and I have very little taper. I'll start trimming once I reach my goal, and MAYBE before that if something terrible happens and my hair is just absolutely ravaged.

Ash
November 9th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Hot showers, elastics, wearing my hair down when not at work, chemical dyes, daily washing. I also refuse to get up earlier or make a big production out of washing my hair, it gets done in the shower with the rest of me.

HintOfMint
November 9th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Oh and I won't give up acne-free skin. I used to put a bit of coconut oil on my underlayer after my wash and before bed, but my skin started to break out like mad, so I stopped. Sleep caps slip off, so that option was out. Maybe my hair was a bit nicer with the coconut oil, but between my skin and my hair, I'll choose my skin.

Dragon
November 10th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I have given up hot water now its hot but I will never give it up in the winter.

JulietCapulet
November 10th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Hmm. I take hot showers, I blow dry about once a week and I use styling products. But I do rinse with cold water.

Johanna
November 10th, 2010, 02:11 AM
My head and shoulders shampoo. I get dandruff if I don't use any shampoo or use other brands. It used to matter when I coloured my hair, but now it just keeps it flaky free :D

Heavenly Locks
November 10th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I don't think I can give up sleeping with my hair loose or taking very warm showers! :)

schweedie
November 10th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Like many others, I won't give up hot showers. I love standing under hot water.

Also, wearing my hair down. The day wearing it down gets too bothersome is the day I get it cut. That goes for sleeping as well as in the daytime. I like updos, but I like wearing it loose more. Not giving that up for length.

WinterInBloom
November 10th, 2010, 02:45 AM
I won't give up my boar and nylon bristly blend brush. It doesn't harm my hair at all, it makes my hair nice and shiny and it de-tangles gently. Combs, even seamless wide toothed ones, are murder on my hair when it's dry.

I won't give up elastics as I use metal free ones and don't notice any damage from them.

I won't give up wearing my hair down when I feel like it.

Flat ironing my bangs. They don't look right without styling, and they get trimmed so often to maintain the length I like, so the damage isn't evident.

Lianna
November 10th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I change the color and sometimes flat iron my bangs. I've learned heat is what ruins my hair, so I'll probably always change the color somewhat, at least a few strands.

maria_asa
November 10th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Like many other I'll never give up my hot showers. They make me relaxed and keep me warm in the winter. I will also never give up eating chocolate. (Don't know how that could harm my hair but regardless I wont give it up.)

FrannyG
November 10th, 2010, 04:04 AM
I've made many positive changes to my hair care routine, but I still dye my hair and I don't plan on stopping that ever.

I take as much care as humanly possible to minimize dye damage, such as covering my hair with coconut oil before touching up the roots, making sure I apply the dye to my roots only and not pulling the colour through at all during the process. However, I'm not a fool, and I know that there is still going to be damage from dyeing.

The question is whether or not I can reach my goal length while colouring my hair. I don't know yet if I'll be able to. However, I'd rather have waist-length hair (I know I can grow it that long and still have it be healthy--I've done it before) than have tail-bone length hair without my favourite colour.

ericthegreat
November 10th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I will never give up hot showers! No matter how good cold water may be for my hair, the rest of my body would get sick from it so my overall body health trumps my hair. Cold water not only makes me cold, it makes me sneeze (yuck!) and it makes me more vulnerable to getting sick.

Milui Elenath
November 10th, 2010, 05:04 AM
I will NEVER EVER use anything with pumpkin in it. :pumpkin: = :puke: I can not even stand the smell of pumpkin without retching. I don't care how good it is and even if I was promised a years growth in a day - I couldn't do it - okay maybe if I was promised a years growth and could wear a gas mask but I would never eat it.

ETA and hot showers but my hair would never ask me to do that; it would be eternally wet.

mrs_coffee
November 10th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Oh hot showers. Definitely.

papillion
November 10th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Using bobbles. They're just so versatile and easy to use.

Using a hair dryer. My hair just looks awful if I don't blow dry it. I do make sure only to use the lowest setting though.

sophiamarie
November 10th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I will definitely not give up hot showers, styling products, and straightening my bangs. I don't think I will ever give up regular trims. I've got a wonderful girl right now who appreciates my wanting to grow my hair longer. Just had a slight trim on Saturday and I'm very happy.

Eireann
November 10th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Blow drying my bangs and dying my hair. The reason I have long hair is that I like the way it looks, but I wouldn't like how it looked if it was grey and my bangs were tweaked. :p

Also, hot showers. I didn't know they were bad until I read this thread!

aenflex
November 10th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Playing with it. Need to stop and cannot.

Eireann
November 10th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Playing with it. Need to stop and cannot.

Oh yeah! Me too! My hair obsessed DH always (gently) nags me to stop. . ..but it's so much fun! :cheese:

hairobsessed1
November 10th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I couldn't give up straightening my fringe. Just thinking about it makes me scared

missmorbus
November 10th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I won't give up hot showers. I also won't give up blow drying and flat ironing my bangs and other short fringe, it just looks crazy if I don't. I use elastics, but I use the metal free kind and don't have any problems with them.

Unofficial_Rose
November 10th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Won't give up caffeine or alcohol. I'm a grad student, my blood is pretty much an equal mix of the two already. (kidding, kidding) I rarely overconsume either substance, but each has its uses some days.

Eurgh, no - me neither! Don't think I could survive. :eek:

I need to blowdry my fringe also. or it looks stupid. And I look a bit severe without a long fringe.

Dvips anecdote about the cat sleeping on her head is so cute. :)

Igor
November 10th, 2010, 09:35 AM

Me too. I tried silk and satin, but I just don’t like sleeping on it :shrug: Cotton is the only thing I like sleeping on and in

eicamawa
November 10th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Blowdrying my bangs. If I don't do it, it will be a real mess, and it's not just something you can comb and then it will stay in the right place. If I don't blowdry it, it will be anywhere else other than were it's supposdes to be.

MinderMutsig
November 10th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Sex. I have seen those sleep caps and there is just no way. Ever. :run:

BeatlesFanGirl
November 10th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I'm fine with the cold rinse. :) And I dont use chemicals (no dye, no styling) nor heat. I use my blow dryer on a mild level. But I won't give up:

- Wearing my hair down night and day
- Caffee and social drinking
- No satene for me... I used to love it, I just don't like it anymore.

BeatlesFanGirl
November 10th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Sex. I have seen those sleep caps and there is just no way. Ever. :run:

:D :D I haven't seen those caps but would never purchase one... Sounds odd.

curlymarcia
November 10th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I color my hair every month ;( not ready for the grays yet!

Sweet_Decadence
November 10th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I won't give up bleaching my roots every 3 months.
I won't give it straightening my fringe though I am trying to find the least damaging method of doing so, information is sparse.
I certainly won't give up hot showers.

Aleria
November 10th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hot showers and dye. I love my black-and-turquoise hair and if having it means I'll never get past BSL, so be it!

IcarusBride
November 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM
In the summer I don't mind cold showers, but in the winter I need at least 'very warm' showers! When the water is hot, I make sure not to let it run directly on my hair.

jenjen10
November 21st, 2010, 09:48 AM
Me too. I tried silk and satin, but I just don’t like sleeping on it :shrug: Cotton is the only thing I like sleeping on and in

I am glad to hear I am not the only one... for some reason, I CANNOT sleep on a satin pillowcase. Something about the texture just really bothers me.

jaine
November 21st, 2010, 09:59 AM
I doubt that I would give up my pastic fine-tooth comb. Which I use in the shower - with shampoo in my hair. Then I use it again with conditioner in my hair. Then I use it again on damp/gelled hair to smooth it for an updo. I love my comb!

Vipera Berus
November 21st, 2010, 10:38 AM
I won´t give up hot showers or wearing my hair down whenever I feel like it.

triumphator!
November 21st, 2010, 10:47 AM
Hot showers, definitely. If I can go outside and the heat from the sun in the summer doesn't damage my hair, I definitely won't give up hot showers. Not that that logic entirely makes sense, but it's how I convince myself! Haha.

Also, occasionally straightening for wow factor (but I happily gave up curling when I discovered bandanna curls), caffiene, or alcohol.

However, a list of all the stuff I gave up is in my bio on my profile page, though.

lapushka
November 21st, 2010, 10:50 AM
I am glad to hear I am not the only one... for some reason, I CANNOT sleep on a satin pillowcase. Something about the texture just really bothers me.

Joining the club. Tried it, couldn't stand the feel of it; somehow it makes my skin crawl. I do have one smooth microfiber pillowcase that sort of mimics the silk or satin feel (my hair glides over it, and it doesn't make my skin crawl, yay), and it's nice, a lot cozier, warmer to the touch somehow.

Not giving up: blow drying, heat styling whenever necessary (maybe once or twice a year / for special occasions), sleeping with my hair undone, styling products (yes even hairspray when I should need it), ...

And after all, I think, even with the hair growing and all, that hair is just hair. I haven't lost my sense of reality. I'm not giving that up. Some people do wonder about this so-called "hair obsession". In the end, no, I don't go through life obsessed with my hair or anyone else's for that matter. I just think this is a cool place to hang out, to share common interests, and to experience the process of hair growing with some pretty amazing women.

IStand4u
November 21st, 2010, 10:50 AM
Blowdrying in winter and lots of gel/mouse/hair spray 4 times a year for REALLY tight "perfect" french braids that I sew together for dance, *sighs* not giving that up no matter how bad it is for my hair...

luxepiggy
November 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM
Using bobbles. They're just so versatile and easy to use.

Using a hair dryer. My hair just looks awful if I don't blow dry it. I do make sure only to use the lowest setting though.

What are bobbles? What a fun word! (^(oo)^)

anthonyswife
November 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
I won´t give up hot showers or wearing my hair down whenever I feel like it.

Me too. I love wearing my hair down and if I couldn't wear my hair down when I wanted to there wouldn't be any point in me having long hair. :)

IStand4u
November 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM
Oops! Forgot the wearing your hair down part too!

brunetka
November 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
long hot showers, blow drying a couple times a week, and wearing it down a lot.

brunetka
November 21st, 2010, 11:49 AM
Also sleeping on regular cotton pillow cases with no scarves or other hair coverings. I just can't sleep comfortably otherwise. I do braid it for the night most of the time.

LunarAurora
November 21st, 2010, 12:26 PM
I'll never eat meat or cheese again, especially not for my hair's health.
And I'll never give up combing on wet hair.

may1em
November 21st, 2010, 12:56 PM
The occasional winter blow-dry (wet hair is COLD!), hot showers, and exercise. Healthy heart is more important than healthy hair, so if I sweat, I'll CO it.

Lark
November 21st, 2010, 01:03 PM
Probably the worse thing I do to my hair that I won't give up is experimentation. Always trying out new buns or the latest concoction I can whip up in my kitchen to slather on my head!

Octave
November 21st, 2010, 01:19 PM
1) Warm/hot showers, the only thing that wakes me up thoroughly on a cold and early morning. And it's also wonderful to take a warm shower when I'm not feeling too well and washing my hair with warm water relaxes me.
2)Cones. Tried going sls and cone free, but my hair hated it and lost all its shine and got tons of static.
3)Small elastics to hold my braid. I do however use metal-free ones

lhangel9
November 21st, 2010, 01:40 PM
I won't stop using MTG for at least 3 months. If I don't see the improvement that I'm looking for, then it's over:(

prosperina
November 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM
Sleep. If hair needs to be washed and I'd rather sleep in the morning I sleep. If hair needs to be hennaed and I'd rather sleep, I sleep. :)

And of couse hot showers and flat ironing my bangs.

I also happen to like my wide tooth goody comb with seams in it. I'm too lazy and cheap to order a seamless one off the internet (if I'm ordering off the internet, it's gonna be a something fun like a hair toy or book.) And I really don't care to spend the time filing down the barely visible seams.

I would also never give up coffee or alcohol.

bluesnowflake
November 21st, 2010, 02:50 PM
Warm showers- I do keep it warm, not scalding, and I ice-water rinse for the last minute or so, but I just cannot do my whole shower in cold water- I'd probably get hypothermia!
Also, I just couldn't give up washing it every other day- I felt greasy and itchy, and though it works for some people, my hair really didn't like it.

sarah061
November 21st, 2010, 04:01 PM
I will not put eggs or mayo on my hair, no matter how awesome I hear it can be. Blergh, hehe

AlleyKitten
November 21st, 2010, 05:54 PM
No mayo for me either, I can't stand the smell. I'll keep mixing up eggs and oil in the kitchen myself, no matter how much easier mayo would be.

I won't give up styles with twisting. I know there are things I could be doing that are gentler, and I don't do them super-tight, but twisty styles are my mainstay, and if I didn't have them to keep my hair out of the way, I'd go nuts.

freckles
November 22nd, 2010, 05:24 AM
I won't give up caffeine. I won't give up hair elastics/bobbles. I have cut down on blowdryer usage, but I will probably never completely give it up, I am just a WUSS about wet hair and cold weather. I won't give up hot/warm showers, but I'm not convinced that's damaging anyway. I won't give up playing with my hair, because I don't seem to be able to!

TXbarbie
November 22nd, 2010, 06:24 AM
I won't give up caffeine. I won't give up hair elastics/bobbles. I have cut down on blowdryer usage, but I will probably never completely give it up, I am just a WUSS about wet hair and cold weather. I won't give up hot/warm showers, but I'm not convinced that's damaging anyway. I won't give up playing with my hair, because I don't seem to be able to!
Is caffeine bad for your hair? I always wake up and have a cup of hot tea... I guess I'm guilty, too :D

Also - I won't give up heat! My hair is straight with a bit of wave and I prefer it to be absolutely straight. I blowdry my hair every time that I shower (every other day) and I blowdry + straighten my hair on the weekends when I go out.

I have only air dried my hair maybe 3 times this year... today included :) Only because I feel absolutely ill lol otherwise my hair just takes too long to dry on its own!

freckles
November 22nd, 2010, 07:19 AM
Is caffeine bad for your hair? I always wake up and have a cup of hot tea... I guess I'm guilty, too :D!

I think the jury is out on whether caffeine is bad for your hair -- some studies say yes, some say no. I think you'll be fine with a cup of tea! I drink around 3 - 6 mugs of coffee a day :)

autumnchild
November 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
I won't ..... Stop asking my DH all the time, "does my hair look longer, does it look like it's growing" ...:lala:

If I had (or he had) a penny for each time...:hmm::hmm:

Nera
November 22nd, 2010, 09:03 AM
Wearing it down every now and then...

Stephichan
November 22nd, 2010, 09:34 AM
I refuse to put certain foods on my head. Eggs and yogurt are too tasty to put on my hair when I could be eating them instead. I also refuse to ever let mayonaise touch my head. I don't care how good it may be for my hair. It won't happen.

I refuse to give up warm/hot showers, I will not give up henna for the time being and I will not give up any of my vitamins or supplements.

This tutorial has helped me a lot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

jenjen10
November 27th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I won't stop my 10-year-old DD from playing with my hair even though I know she is too rough with it... I love when people play with my hair and she enjoys doing it. I am trying to teach her how to be gentle and the proper "techniques" but her enthusiasm gets a little out of hand sometimes! :)

Synthemesc
November 27th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Hot showers, fiddling with my hair, and ACV... nasty stuff. I WILL give up chemical dye, however.

2peasinapod
November 27th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Yet another vote for hot showers over here! And coffee! :coffee:

Luna12345
November 27th, 2010, 09:04 PM
colouring....my natural hair is dark and I tend to get bored of it.
I love to expirement with diffirent colours....but I will never bleach again...

AnnaJamila
November 27th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Hot Showers!!!! :):):):):):):):):):)

LadyG
November 27th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Hot showers and hair dye. Not ready to go glittery white. :p

Rin4Christ
November 27th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I am joining the hot showers crowd.

I take really hot showers. It makes my skin itch in the winter and perhaps damages my hair, but I don't do much else to damage my hair (never dye, never use hot iron or curl, never perm, rarely blow dry, rarely use elastics).

allmixedup88
November 27th, 2010, 11:10 PM
hot showers & bleach

Alix
November 27th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Washing every shower. I'd say washing every day, but I don't shower every day. My hair is to fine to let grease up past day 2.5.

Masara
November 28th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I never thought about hot showers. There's no way I'm using luke warm water in my cold bathroom (although I will use a cooler rince on my length)

I wash my hair every day and I also blow dry the roots (yes, every day!) That's how I enjoy my hair, so I've accepted that I may not get as long as other people.

I also won't give up playing with it when it's down (one of the reasons I wear it up so much!)

ilovelonghair
November 28th, 2010, 04:56 AM
-Sleeping with my hair down, I hate to put it up or in a braid, I can't sleep
-hot showers
-wearing hair down
-satin pillow cases (I can't stand the feel of satin on a pillow)

LisaMonster
November 28th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Brushinggggggggg

smileycat
November 28th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Coffee. I avoid any and all threads involving caffeine.

Themyst
November 28th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Blow drying. At least I use the warm setting and keep it as far away from my hair as possible.

Pifkin
November 28th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Wearing my hair down.

I don't like how I look with my hair up and enjoy wearing it down more than I should. I wear it up a lot when I'm home, but it's usually always down when I go out, even in wind and other crazy weather... I'm getting better with it though. It's a process! :rolleyes:

Pear Martini
November 28th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I won't give up driving on the highways with the windows down and my hair whipping around in the wind.

I won't give up letting it soak in the salt water on beach days.

I won't give up certain products such as curling mousse and hairspray.

I won't give up highlighting and coloring.

DorothyAtForty
November 28th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I won't do: bleach, monistat on my hair, henna, or begin eating meat.

I won't give up: warm showers, elastics, or using a fine toothed comb on my damp bangs.

chopandchange
November 28th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Hmm; a lot of people are talking about hot showers versus cold ones.

Personally, I don't see how the temperature of the water can make any difference to the health of your hair, but even if it's been "scientifically proven" to be so, there's no way I would go torturing myself with cold showers in the winter simply out of vanity. In 40 degrees Celsius of heat, a cold shower would be very welcome to cool me down, but in the winter, regular cold showers (and the consequent coldness on my head) would probably be extremely detrimental to my health. I have a bit of a weak chest and dodgy sinuses and once I lived in a rental where the landlady refused to let me heat up the water (she was trying to save money) and I was coughing up blood and I went to the doctor and she told me I MUST NOT ever have cold showers because I had some sort of weakness and I had to stay warm. I ended up moving out of there anyway, thank goodness...

Back on track: also, I wouldn't put yucky smelly things on my head, like vinegar or henna or indigo or funny herbs.

To sum up: nothing that smells nasty, leaves a lingering smell, or is painful or detrimental to my health.

growing2shine
November 28th, 2010, 11:51 AM
That's a good question... I don't really think there is something I won't give up, I mean im not a complete fanatic, but I don't mind using cold water for the scalp, I don't drink coffee, I don't smoke, I don't mind the smell of vinegar etc... Well im sure there is something I won't give up for my hair but I can't think of anything. :hmm:

Bianca
November 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Wont give up on wearing my hair down, cause that just suits me better.

Also wont give up on my summer highlights, so no covering up my hair in the sun xD

Bast
November 28th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Won't give up: hot showers, caffeine, 'coney conditioners and sulfate 'poos. I also let the cat sit on my head while it's wrapped up in a towel after my showers. I will blow dry if I have to go out during the winter and my hair is still wet. It's COLD here, and I'd rather not have my hair freeze solid...that's probably a whole lot worse than the odd low-heat blow dry, no?

Won't do: henna, vinegar, satin pillowcases, sleep caps, oil, changing my diet, and probably a few other things that may or may not have made me go "huh?" after reading them.

chopandchange
November 28th, 2010, 01:16 PM
All these people saying their cats sit on their heads; that's really cute! I don't have a cat, but if I did I wouldn't have the heart to push it away.

InTheCity
November 28th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Hot showers!

And I have used flat/curling irons about 3 times in the past 2 years. 2 weddings and one stressful day that I just wanted to look nice. I guess that's as close to "giving up heat" as I can expect and I'm hoping I didn't kill my progress because of it.

09robiha
November 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Wont give up: hot showers, hair dye, occasional use a diffuser.

Quixii
November 28th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Hot showers and tight ponytails.

XcaliburGirl
November 28th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Daily washing and ponytails.

Niwa
November 28th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I might have already posted in this thread, but:

I won't give up washing in warm water, although I try to keep the water closer to lukewarm than warm.

I won't give up straightening my hair. This might actually be good for my hair though because straightening results in less tangling.

Quasi Ginger
November 28th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Add me to the pile of hot shower votes!!

Lately I've been trying to wash it in cold at the beginning, then tie it up for the rest of my hot shower. It throws off my whole showering system, though!

Anisaa
November 28th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I won't give up HOT showers and leaving my hair loose 95% of the time, I know that that really damages the hair but its luxuries I can't give up :(

ilovelonghair
November 29th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Personally, I don't see how the temperature of the water can make any difference to the health of your hair, but even if it's been "scientifically proven" to be so, there's no way I would go torturing myself with cold showers in the winter simply out of vanity. In 40 degrees Celsius of heat, a cold shower would be very welcome to cool me down, but in the winter, regular cold showers (and the consequent coldness on my head) would probably be extremely detrimental to my health. I have a bit of a weak chest and dodgy sinuses and once I lived in a rental where the landlady refused to let me heat up the water (she was trying to save money) and I was coughing up blood and I went to the doctor and she told me I MUST NOT ever have cold showers because I had some sort of weakness and I had to stay warm. I ended up moving out of there anyway, thank goodness...

That is insane of her and cruel. Is that even legal?

I would also not give up warm showers, even in stinking hot weather I need a warm or sometimes even hot shower, I am strange.

nena_shawty
November 29th, 2010, 01:31 PM
hot showers ... but i do rinse with cold water i guess its the same as taking cold showers lol

kimi
November 29th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Won't do: bleach again, too much henna (henna gloss maybe), protein treatments, satin pillowcases, cold showers (yeesh!)

Won't give up: occasional coloring, washing every day (it's just too unmanageable and oily not to), cone conditioners, occasional hot rollers.

PartyPickle
November 29th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Hot showers are a requirement for my sanity functioning so they stay. Also, I wouldn't want to give up wearing my hair down whenever the fancy struck me.

andrea1982
November 29th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Warm/hot showers in winter (I always cold rinse in the summer)

My blowdryer in the winter (again, who wants to have cold wet hair on them all day)

my goody plastic bristle brush (at least it's an ouchless one, and has widely spaced bristles) I've been using brushes like it all my life, and I can detangle more quickly and with less damage than with a wide tooth comb

Hair elastics and pony tails

Hair spray for work (the patients like to see a put together professional looking nurse, and with 12 hour shifts, it is just not possible any other way)

Bobby pins (for the same reason as the hairspray)

Regular trims (rather have healthy even ends than longer hair)

Having Babies:) (even though the post partum sheds are the most horrific terrifying thing!)

Mariah!!
November 29th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Hot showers, Blowdrying, Straightening it on occasion, and caffine.

I would give up swimming though. I hate that icky feeling in my hair of chlorine.... Even if it may be all in my head. I hate getting my hair wet though, but sometimes I cant resist a swim underwater. I live where I dont have a pool, and most people don't over here, but when I get a chance to get in a pool I just long for the feeling of being totally emerged in deep water. If I had a pool though, I would use a swim cap (if my hair fit in it)

Fethenwen
November 30th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Blowdrying my bangs :) I think that's it actually.

pastel_cloud
November 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM
hot showers

YesitsReal
November 30th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I won't give up nice, hot showers, especially in the wintertime.

I also won't EVER put mayonnaise on my hair. I can't even stand the smell without gagging.

mneh
December 1st, 2010, 10:17 AM
What are bobbles? What a fun word! (^(oo)^)

Hair bobbles is a UK/Irish term for hair elastics :) When I was younger, it was used to refer to the hair elastics that had little plastic ball ornaments on them, now it refers to all hair elastics.

thatjengirl1
December 1st, 2010, 10:58 AM
Hot showers also.

and not braiding my hair or "protecting it " when i sleep. i would like to get a hair sleep cap eventually, i just havent had the time or energy.
but anyways, when i get off work, i have no energy to braid my hair before i fall asleep. so my hair always looks a little fuzzy when i wake up ..:o

but other than that, i treat my hair like a princess :p

mellie89
December 1st, 2010, 11:32 AM
I'd never give up SLS, cones, blowdrying occasionally, ponytails, messy buns, coffee, or wearing my hair down a lot.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to try ACV. I don't care how diluted the rinses are, I gag as soon as I open the bottle. Can't STAND that smell.

CurlyTresses
December 1st, 2010, 11:56 AM
Wearing it down every now and then...

What she said above. Also, "won't give up" being gentle with it/babying it, deep treatments, coconut milk soaks, oiling hair, temporary coloring and maybe henna - oh and taking pictures of it (lol). ;)

Only "won't do" I can think of now is wear updos all the time.

lesbia
December 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM
I comb my hair when wet... :)

jenjen10
December 2nd, 2010, 06:47 PM
I comb my hair when wet... :)

I do this too.... is it really that bad if you are really gentle??

rosieex3
December 2nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
Won't give up:
-Cones. Although I personally don't think they are bad, not many people here use them.
-Hot showers.
-Messy buns that usually require pulling and harsh de-tangling to get out.
-Wearing my hair down most of the time.
-Using drug store hair products rather then oils and whatnot.
-Not protecting my hair while I sleep, unless I decide to bun it.
-Shampooing with Aussie shampoo every so often.
-& When my hair has grown out all of the layers and chemical damage and its very healthy/virgin, I will flat iron it on occasion. I wish I could right now, but it shows the patchy colors in my hair more and my hair is too damaged to apply heat to.

EdG
December 2nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
I too won't give up hot showers, especially in the winter.

I figure as long as the water isn't too warm for the skin, it shouldn't be too warm for the hair.
Ed

sugarpixie10988
December 2nd, 2010, 07:07 PM
I'm another hot shower lover, but I try to change the water temperature so it isn't nearly as hot when rinsing my hair. I also don't put my hair up as much as I should.

dreamsofthewind
December 2nd, 2010, 07:13 PM
i refuse to give up dying my hair. i know its terrible, but i really don't like my natural color. and i ABSOLUTELY refuse to stop curling my hair. (i don't do it with heat stylers, just foam rollers or pincurls)

dropinthebucket
December 3rd, 2010, 07:13 AM
Curling iron for my bangs. Must have it.

Elenna
December 3rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
Warm showers
Washing hair everyday
Wearing hair down
Blow drying bangs straight