PDA

View Full Version : Barely classic but need a trim. How much to trim?

isbmlamloi
November 9th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I hadn't realized I was technically at classic until taking pictures for this thread. :)

So, here is my hair.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1434/5162355178_f3d5e1c3b1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/isbmlamloi/5162355178/) http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1341/5162355394_7ea9af5b51.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/isbmlamloi/5162355394/)

I've got a lot of length, but the end is quite uneven. I only started S&Ding this month, and I thought I'd never get all the splits I found, but now I'm down to only finding one every now and then. The S&D didn't help with the uneven hemline, though. So I've scheduled a time with my favorite stylist -- I've seen her twice before in the past, oh, four years or so. She understands long hair! -- and this time I'm not just going to ask her for the regular "take off as little as possible." I think I need a real honest-to-goodness trim.

But how much to take off? If I do a straight hemline, if I try to fall back to the shortest bits (on the side -- look near my right back pocket on the second picture), I'd be losing around six inches. The thought of that makes me very, very sad. Do you think she'd be able to do a curved hemline, to try to make a wide U-shape and only take a couple of inches off all around? And would that at all look okay?

EDIT: post-trim pictures are on page 3!

Krentje
November 9th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Wow, you are my hair idol from now on!

IMO, your hair looks good. I don't think 6" will be necessary, but maybe 2 inches could give you just that fresh cut feeling to be happy growing again?

ikke1978
November 9th, 2010, 02:32 PM
WOW!!!! That is amazing.
I think my hair will never be able to grow that long.

chelseamichelle
November 9th, 2010, 02:35 PM
First off, Beautiful hair!

She would most definitely be able to do a U shaped hemline, this is probably your best option if you don't want to lose too much length and it would look great.

Good luck, hope you like your cut

MissySue
November 9th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Congrats on reaching classic length!!!!! Since my hair is so much shorter than yours I'm probably not the right person to give advice, but I think even if you cut off 6 inches you would still have very long hair. Would that be about tailbone length? That would look very pretty with a nice blunt hemline. However, if it would really make you sad then don't do it. I think you have a good solution already- cutting a few inches and then having a Ushaped hemline. That would be beautiful as well, and less traumatic for you. Good Luck!!!

Valdeon
November 9th, 2010, 02:56 PM
First, that is really awesomely long hair :blossom:

You may go with U-shape just to save the length.

I am a freak when it comes to uneven hemlines and split ends. So my take is 4 inches tops but no less than 3 imho

Yozhik
November 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM
What beautiful hair!

Congratulations on reaching classic!! I love your ends :crush:

That said, though, if you want a trim, I'd suggest going for a u-trim, and not taking all that much off. If you're only getting the occasional split end, then your hair is pretty healthy, and even a fairly small trim should help even up the ends. :)

pepperminttea
November 9th, 2010, 03:09 PM
You have gorgeous hair! As for a major trim - I find it's a good rule to go by how long your ends stay manageable post-trim. After a certain point my ends tangle just for the fun of it. :P I can generally keep my ends soft for about 6-9 months, with the help of SMTs and S&Ding, so I never cut off more than 9 months growth at once. :) Good luck!

Feng-Shui
November 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Congratulations on achieve classic length.:toast:

I finds your ends is very beautiful.

With classic length and longer I find fairy tale ends absolutely okay.

I would recommend microtrimm to do if you fairy tale ends finds not good on your self.:flower:

princessp
November 9th, 2010, 03:27 PM
:thudpile: I love your hair exactly the way it is. I guess if it will make you feel better to trim you could do a tiny one, but I don't think it is necessary. Wow, I LOVE your length. I may have to change my goal to classic-- I am very inspired!

Anje
November 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I'd say it depends a lot on the look you want. You have pretty dense ends, even though they're tapered -- I like that look for fairytale ends. If you want something blunter, maybe a U shape hemline with the sides as high as the bottom of your pockets would be a good way to go. Then you wouldn't lose much length.

Alternatively, you could start trimming off half your growth each month. This seems easier if you cut your own hair (to me at least, since I would rarely go to salons even when I wasn't growing my hair). Then you'd still gain length and over time get a blunter hemline.

spidermom
November 9th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I think a U-shape would be outstanding, and you wouldn't have to lose more than 2 inches of the longest strands. It won't be much hair.

GrowingGlory
November 9th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Aw, bite the bullet and let go of some length for the sake of a thicker, more even hem. You won't even miss it.

enfys
November 9th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I absolutely think a 2" trim with a u shape hem would give you the thicker hem you want.

Congratulations on your milestone too! If classic snuck up on you before I'm sure it will again before too long.

Cereus
November 9th, 2010, 06:23 PM
OMG! I would vote for the U-shape if you want a trim. Just a little off.

isbmlamloi
November 10th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Thank you all for your comments! I'm glad that my hair can be an inspiration to some of you. :)

I think I'm going to go for a U-shaped hem, but not dramatically curved; more of a \___/ shape. 2-3 inches seems to be the consensus. The appointment is tomorrow, so I'll post pictures in here afterwards to let you all see what I end up with.

Then, thanks to pepperminttea's advice, I'll see how long it takes my ends to stay managable so I know in the future how to limit trims.

Anje, I like your idea, too. I haven't kept track of how much my hair grows monthly, but doing a small trim to the 'center' portion regularly should slowly allow the sides to catch up, for an eventual blunt hemline.

Thank you again for the compliments, all! :)

Sheltie_Momma
November 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Be VERY specific because some stylists think a u-shape means bringing up the sides too and I doubt you want angled pieces all the way down the sides. I think your hair is stunning!

isbmlamloi
November 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the warning (and the compliment!)

Luckily, I'm on very good terms with this stylist. She approached me and my boyfriend at the time, whose hair is only slightly shorter than mine, at a concert at a local venue and complimented us on our hair. Didn't even push; it came out later while talking that she was a stylist, and even then it was casual. She gave me a card, I called her up a few months later and got my first trim in years. I've recommended several other long-hairs in the Boston area to her, and everyone thanks me afterwards. :)

aenflex
November 10th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Yes, cannot answer your question but think your hair is lovely~

Niwa
November 10th, 2010, 11:55 AM
But how much to take off? If I do a straight hemline, if I try to fall back to the shortest bits (on the side -- look near my right back pocket on the second picture), I'd be losing around six inches. The thought of that makes me very, very sad. Do you think she'd be able to do a curved hemline, to try to make a wide U-shape and only take a couple of inches off all around? And would that at all look okay?When I needed a really good trim, my stylist cut my hair in a U-shape so that I wouldn't lose length unnecessarily. It was a good idea and might work for you. Your hair is beautiful, by the way! :)

melikai
November 10th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I love your hair! I prefer ends like yours, fairytaled, so if it were me I'd only take an inch or so off the longest ends.

Congratulations on reaching classic! :)

curlymarcia
November 10th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Your hair is NOT UNEVEN. But if you have splits, the better is to cut (only the damage). By the way, your hair is beautiful :)

pennylane
November 10th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Your hair is beautiful isbmlamloi!!! :flower:

As others have mentioned I think 2 inches taken to even out and a soft U shape will look very nice on you!

I prefer blunt hair in a soft u shape never in a straight line, always with a little rounded softness to it!

Angelica
November 10th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Congratulations! I would just do the microtrims to start even it up, as I personally hate losing any length, it takes an age to grow back. It looks lovely by the way :)

isbmlamloi
November 11th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Bullet bitten, trim acquired! I love what she did with it. She understood the U idea immediately. We called it "mountain valley mountain." I didn't lose that much length, though I don't think I qualify as classic anymore--but it's within reach!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/5167274595_f3e29aef44.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/isbmlamloi/5167274595/)

So, if you're in the Boston area, I cannot recommend @helenthestylist too much. She is awesome and really understands the concept of microtrims.

Thank you everyone for the help!

Valdeon
November 11th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Wow! Great job! Exactly what I had in mind.

I am so glad the U-shape worked out for you! Awesome hair :flower:

GrowingGlory
November 11th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Looks awesome!

Debra83
November 11th, 2010, 02:45 PM
nicely done!

pennylane
November 11th, 2010, 02:48 PM
It looks lovely!!!!!!! Congratulations!:flower:

Avvoltoio
November 11th, 2010, 02:53 PM
your hair is beautiful, i happy about you know a stylist, who understand you, it is very rare :).

tigr
November 17th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Your hair looks great!

eezepeeze
November 17th, 2010, 11:42 PM
:thudpile:Wow! That turned out beautifully! That is exactly the hemline I'd like to achieve.

JulietCapulet
November 17th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Wow gorgeous! I don't think you need to trim. But if you do, maybe two or three inches?

miss_purple
November 18th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Nice healthy hair. Don't seem to be needing a trim to me.

RadiantNeedle
November 18th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Absolutely perfect!

Yozhik
November 18th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Very nice trim! I'd love to see what types of waves/spirals you get when it's unbrushed now. :)

Feng-Shui
November 18th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Your cut is perfect.:thumbsup:

Very beautifully.:flower: