PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had a big transformation from having thin hair to thick hair?

Dreamkitty
November 9th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Is there anyone here that once had i hair and went to iii?:). Or had a big transformation from very thin hair to very thick? or maybe even the opposite once had very thick now very thin?

Juneii
November 9th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Unless the person was recovering from an illness or medications that induced hair loss I don't think it's possible for more hair follicles to appear on their scalp.. Isn't hair thickness, texture, etc. dependent on genetics?

nemileo
November 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I got a thicker feeling and more volume when I quit cones. And my body "saved" hair when I was pregnant, so my hair appeared thicker. But I guess I will stick with my thickness-grade, cause I think it is all temperarly.

BrightEyes7
November 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
My hair feels thicker because I'm not breaking it as much now that I don't heat style daily.

But like Juneii said, you can't go from i to iii because you're not going to gain hair follicles. Your thickness is set in your genes, like your texture and hair courseness. I was meant to have thicker hair but my damage was making it thin. So if you have thin hair naturally sorry but it'll stay that way. But if your hair is thin because of damage or other health issues then you may be able to thicken it back up!

ikke1978
November 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM
My hairdresser told me that the structure of your hair will change every 7 years. I have heard it more than once, so maybe it is true. I once had very thick hair, now it is very fine, but still a lot of it.

GuardGirl
November 9th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I'm here to testify that dietary changes can sometimes make a HUGE difference in your hair thickness. I went on a very strict diet after I had a baby this past January and i lost 50 lbs in 3.5 months. Needless to say, my hair started coming out in gobs. I was eating healthy foods, just not nearly enough to sustain my normal body functions. I started supplementing with some really good vitamins and taking extra care to get lots and lots of protein (since that's the predominant component in your hair structure) and other healthy food choices and returned to a 'normal' body weight, about 15 lbs heavier than what I lost down to. I have tons of new strong hair growth, and I'm pretty sure that when it gets long enough to pull all my new growth back my ponytail will be significantly thicker. :)

SilvraShadows
November 9th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Most unfortunate for me, but I went from ii/iii to an i. I hoped for years, all of my LHC days, I would recover some of it back, but it doesn't look as if that will happen. I used to wear braids all over my head the size of my single braid today. I have finally accepted it, although those closest to me know I have my down moments. The 12+ year shed has finally stopped about a year ago, with one little bout last month that scared me silly. I've been left with sections that are terminal, such as the canopy and the nape section. They never grow past 23 inches anymore.

Florida Mom
November 9th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Well, I did. My hair was very fine and thin.... until pregnancy. Then it started to change. Once my daughter was about 6 months old my hair changed completely.... thick and wavy to boot from stick straight. My mother joked that my braid was like a rope. Friends asked me if I was wearing a wig. I had my hair cut into a deep V to offset some of that. Oh and my doctor said it was due to the hormonal changes. HTH

littlenvy
November 9th, 2010, 08:47 PM
WOW.
Nothing like that happened to me when I was having my baby. :(
I just lost more hair afterwards.
Seems I'm just going from thin to thinner year after year no matter what.
The only difference is that when I was a child I had extra baby fine hair which was super thin. I mean you couldn't even get a clip in it, it would not stay. At about 9/10 years old it started to change to just fine hair which I guess gave it more volume.

My hair is MUCH MUCH healthier now. So I'm enjoying it much more.

ilovelonghair
November 9th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Most unfortunate for me, but I went from ii/iii to an i. I hoped for years, all of my LHC days, I would recover some of it back, but it doesn't look as if that will happen. I used to wear braids all over my head the size of my single braid today. I have finally accepted it, although those closest to me know I have my down moments. The 12+ year shed has finally stopped about a year ago, with one little bout last month that scared me silly. I've been left with sections that are terminal, such as the canopy and the nape section. They never grow past 23 inches anymore.

Your hair looks clearly ticker higher up, that can be regrowth, I have that too. You said the shedding stopped a year ago? It looks like you have a years' thicker growth in your hair.

My hair has definitely become thicker than it ever was even compared to my hair before I started dying or bleaching. In my family hair seems to get better with age :)

Dyefree
November 10th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Well, I'm not sure how relevant this is, but pre hair- abuse I had ridiculously thick hair. To the point where I would struggle to find a band or hair clip to contain it.... I would be envious with girls with fine, thin hair and literally try to pull strands out In a feeble attempt to thin it... :rolleyes:

Fast forward 15 years.... My hair is thin, not average.... Very thin. I have a mass of virgin hair at around an inch long and then it tapers to almost nothing. A combination of breakage and new growth, which I hope eventually to grow down and increase the bulk of my ponytail... :o

Johanna
November 10th, 2010, 02:07 AM
I was really stressed and lost huge clumps of hair daily (coupled with a 40pound weight loss in two months). It was really terrible, my hair got so thin. Eventually it regrew when I got healthy and since I stopped dyeing at the same time, it grew in even thicker than before. I've jumped up about two inches in thickness from when I first measured when I joined.

The texture has changed a bit as well, wavier that before. So shiny again :D

BellCat
November 10th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Hi i have always had really really fine hair which never grew past BSL and was in terrible condition from all the heat abuse it went through and the fact that i refused to get a trim as everytime i got one they chopped off all of my hair!! But years later i eventually decided to get a trim and stop using hot irons and hair dryers. Ever since then my hair has gotten unbelievably thicker and longer and my ends are in great conditon for once. I've also started taking biotin and msm supplements to help get my hair to waist length. Biotin apparently thickens the hair :O but i fail to find any before-after pictures anywhere!!! Hope this helps :):):)

Dreamkitty
November 10th, 2010, 04:15 AM
:) My hair has been thick from birth, I had a full head of baby hair, as a child/teen my hair was very thick and now it is still thick at iii but my hair felt more thicker and was at the bigger end of iii then what it is now, I can just feel it.

I told my mum whose hair I inherited, I didn't inherit my mums hair but her sisters. My mums hair was always ii so I have thicker hair then my mum and sister.

But I agree that diet does play an important role. My younger sister doesn't eat too many vegetables, wholegrains, drinks very little water. She also hates putting oil in her.
As a child, she had beautiful,thick hair but now just at 17 years old, her hair is thinning and its quite see through near the front. I measured her hair, it is 3inches, 2mm so she falls in the ii category. My mum said to her to change her diet, eat more veggies and fruit. However my sister just doesn't listen, she thinks its got nothing to do with what she eats and thinks that its another problem!. I have to say my sister is being so silly & its painful for me to watch what she is doing to her hair.:eek:

My sister is lucky to even be at ii because if she doesn't do anything about it, she will go to i, the way she cares for her hair!. She did have thick hair but she isn't working at it to get it back.

Thanks for the replies everyone!. I am going to experiment with my sister and recommend to her what she should do.

indigonight
November 10th, 2010, 07:15 AM
My hair went from thick to straw thin to super thick. This was because I started out with good thick hair but then I dyed it blonde for years then red for years then blonde for a few more years then gave that up for henna and indigo. Moral of the story CHEMICAL DYES KILL YOUR HAIR!

curlymarcia
November 10th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hi all, my sister had a terrible shedding after pregnancy. Her ponytail reduce to the half, now it looks like she have a lot of baby hairs. Hopefully she will have the same hair than before :)

Dyefree
November 10th, 2010, 01:09 PM
My hair went from thick to straw thin to super thick. This was because I started out with good thick hair but then I dyed it blonde for years then red for years then blonde for a few more years then gave that up for henna and indigo. Moral of the story CHEMICAL DYES KILL YOUR HAIR!

Soooo true for me too

d1angel
November 10th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Mine was thick when I was a teen, then got thin a few years ago. I thought the thinness was due to age (I'm over 40 and the men in my family are bald), but with diet and supplements, the hair is growing back in. My pony circumference is now 4" where it was 1.5" a few months ago.

And....I have chemically dyed blonde hair. I'm not planning to let the gray grow in anytime soon.

tinygirl
November 10th, 2010, 06:26 PM
That's impressive thickening up d1angel!

ilovelonghair
November 11th, 2010, 04:29 AM
That's impressive indeed!