PDA

View Full Version : What to buy in New York City?

lawchik
November 9th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hi!
I’m a Canadian heading to NYC for 5 days in December. I was hoping for suggestions on hair products to buy or unique stores to visit while in NYC. I can’t wait to go! Thanks!

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 01:52 PM
What's your budget like? When you say unique stores, are we talking to purchase or just to browse? Clothes? Shoes? Art? Furniture? Piggy is here to help! (^(oo)^)v

Madora
November 9th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Run, do not walk, and visit the Madora salon on madison avenue in NYC (call first to make an appointment!)

This is THE temple of long hair care, established by the late Dr. George Michael, Czar of Long Hair, way back in the late 50s.

I think the address is now 422 Madison Avenue but you can go on the 'net and track it down.

I cannot recommend having the complete george michael treatment..that is: shampoo, conditioner/heatcap conditioning/roller set/trim.

It is hair nirvana..and yes, it is expensive...but well worth it!!! Your hair will feel incredible when you're finished! I cannot recommend them too highly! I'd give anything if I could return for another treatment.

They are down to earth people and explain everything. they don't try to "force" product on you to purchase (although you can). They also have combs/brushes and a few hair toys for sale too.

If you do visit and have the treatment, please post pics and tell us all about it!!

Madora
November 9th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Should have said:

I could not recommend too highly having the george michael treatment!!!

You and your hair will adore the results! Madora

paperwhite
November 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Honestly? The first place I head to when in NYC is the Pommes Frites (http://www.pommesfrites.ws/) place. I've never had anything so tasty in my entire life and if I could figure out how to exactly replicate them at home, I wouldn't eat anything else :P

I don't have any hair/shopping suggestions, sorry!

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Run, do not walk, and visit the Madora salon on madison avenue in NYC (call first to make an appointment!)

This is THE temple of long hair care, established by the late Dr. George Michael, Czar of Long Hair, way back in the late 50s.

I think the address is now 422 Madison Avenue but you can go on the 'net and track it down.

I cannot recommend having the complete george michael treatment..that is: shampoo, conditioner/heatcap conditioning/roller set/trim.

It is hair nirvana..and yes, it is expensive...but well worth it!!! Your hair will feel incredible when you're finished! I cannot recommend them too highly! I'd give anything if I could return for another treatment.

They are down to earth people and explain everything. they don't try to "force" product on you to purchase (although you can). They also have combs/brushes and a few hair toys for sale too.

If you do visit and have the treatment, please post pics and tell us all about it!!

I am so totally doing this next time I pop over to NYC for some shopping - how much does it run btw? (^(oo)^)v

Avital88
November 9th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Wow, im gonna be there in March for a month so really need to try this out!

mira-chan
November 9th, 2010, 05:22 PM
There are several Ficcare Carrying stores in the city.

Ficcare stores in NYC info:
Henri Bidel (cosmetics one, more expesive than Ficcarre site)
712 5th avenue (between 55th and 56th streets)

Clydes (Upscale pharmacy, more expensive than Ficarre)
926 madison Avenue (between E73rd and 74th streets)

Z-Cehmists
Between 5th and 6th Avenues on 57th street.

C.O. Bigelow (Old Apothecary, has sales on ficcare clips occasionally.)
414 Avenue of Americas (6th ave) Between W8th and 9th.

Non Ficcare but great for other stuff like Kama neeli oil and Monoi oil is the New London Pharmacy on 246 Eighth Avenue, between W23rd and W22nd street.

There is a small Indian neighborhood on Lexington around 27th street.

Chinatown is always fun to look around in.

Some previous threads started by people planning to visit NYC.
Exploring NYC (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=20483)
Sightseeing in NYC (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21604=)
New York (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6789)

Meanwhile I'll quietly hide my fairytaled hair self away from Madora. :couch::silly: Do make an appointment there ahead of time if you wish to visit. I tried to visit them when I was passing by to look at the combs and no one answered.

wendyg
November 9th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Z-Chemists has I think the world's largest collection of headbands, too.

It's also worth looking - although the prices are high - at the collection of hair stuff in Bendel's, around the corner from Z. They go for a lot of very sparkly stuff but it's all good quality.

wg

lawchik
November 10th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks so much! I'm not really sure where my budget is.....I have a feeling that what I think is expensive is probably considered cheap by New Yorkers! We've already had a bit of sticker shock on hotel prices!

Other than buying some hair products (not really fussy on what; just stuff I can't get at home), I'm obsessing about food! There seems to be so many great eats to choose from...street meat, bagels, pizza, one nice dinner at EMP.

:)

CrisDee
November 11th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Not sure I could focus on hair stuff in NYC - it's all about the FOOD! Pizza in Little Italy, dim sum in Chinatown - wear your stretch pants so you can try it all! :)

TrudieCat
November 11th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Eat seasonal pierogi and Christmas borscht at Veselka (http://www.veselka.com/)! :)

QMacrocarpa
October 12th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I'm making a trip to New York at the end of the month, and will be making notes on the above-mentioned places for hair-toy shopping. Any updates? New places not to be missed? I'm especially interested in looking at a selection of Fakkares (I've never seen Fakkares around where I live). Of course we're planning to hit museums and walk the High Line and so on as well, but I don't want to let a good hair-toy-shopping opportunity get away!

Wahinee
October 12th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Ricky's is a beauty supply store with lots of cool accessories. They are all over the place

http://www.rickysnyc.com (site is down right now but usually works)

thirstylocks
October 15th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Go to 14th street and Union Square, which has some awesome shops and a lot of street fairs/markets with cool hand made accessories. Then, go to 14th street and 1st avenue to get some pizza from ARTICHOKE. It is 4.50 for gigantic slice that will fill you up all day. Then, walk to saint Mark's, which is on 2nd avenue and 9th street, and walk from 2nd ave to 3rd ave, where you will find the coolest little stores with a bit of a rocker edge, and tons of sushi places, bars, even a jazz club.