PDA

View Full Version : My chemical sensitivities are coming back

rymorg2
May 31st, 2008, 05:50 AM
Hey guys....how is everyone? I'm pretty good, but a little stressed out. I'm trying to decide if I want to quit my job at the salon and leave the business. Here's why.....

Those of you that were here about a year and a half ago will remember that I had some chemical sensitivities for quite awhile when I first started to grow out my hair, mostly to fragrances in the hair care and personal care I was using. So I went to organic/natural/unscented and it was a lot better. When I started at my salon in July I started to use chemical laden stuff we had there because I was flat ironing, etc.....and while it's taken quite awhile the sensitivities are back. Those headaches I thought were from the weight of my hair that caused me to cut.....yeah, from the chemicals, because they haven't stayed away. Which ticks me off...I could still have long hair. Oh well, it'll grow back.

Anyway, long story short, I'm considering leaving the business. I have some options....A. stay there B. stay until I find another ft job or C. go on and leave and dh will work ft and part time and I'll have to find a part time job to supplement as I stay home. I don't want him to be so tired, and he will be at least through the summer if I choose that. I'm really having trouble deciding though....I love my work, and love being a stylist, but something has to give. I wish there was a natural salon near me....or I could afford to start one....but there's not and I can't. My reasoning behind wanting to leave is varied....A. No more headaches from being manager B. no more headaches period, from chemicals (just for example, I was cleaning bottles yesterday and itched from the residue off one of them! Residue!) or itches either C. I can't use chemical laden stuff that keeps my hair from frizzing and holds well, so I'm not going to be having many good hair days and unfortunately they want stylists that look the part....so I'm leaning towards leaving.

But hey....the good news is I can grow my hair without pressure if I leave, I can use the products that I want to without hearing "your hair's a mess" since it won't matter...and maybe I could grow out to classic like I really wanted to. I haven't made any choices there either.....but we'll see.

Hugs guys!

Lamb
May 31st, 2008, 07:19 AM
I do think your health should come first. Yes, your husband will have to be main breadwinner until you find another job, yes, your hair will not look like something out of Vogue. But you won't be putting yourself at risk for asthma and all those nuisances that come with allergies.
Look for a new job high and low, something will come up, I'm sure. Just don't put your health at risk, please!!
(((HUGS))) and good luck!

rymorg2
May 31st, 2008, 07:36 AM
I do think your health should come first. Yes, your husband will have to be main breadwinner until you find another job, yes, your hair will not look like something out of Vogue. But you won't be putting yourself at risk for asthma and all those nuisances that come with allergies.
Look for a new job high and low, something will come up, I'm sure. Just don't put your health at risk, please!!
(((HUGS))) and good luck!

Hi Lamb....thanks for the support, that's what I feel too, I'm just having trouble with what to do. I've looked in the local want ads and can't find a thing. We'll be spending a good portion of the day after he comes home discussing it though. Thanks and hugs!

Gabriel
May 31st, 2008, 08:31 AM
Oh this sucks so bad... my best friend who loved working in a salon and was gifted when it came to cutting/styling/coloring hair, had such a bad color allergic reaction too. Just mixing the color and developer would make her skin burn... She had to quit too after she got really bad chemical burns.

It was terrible watching her go through this. Take care of yourself and do what you need for your health. Hopefully everything else will fall into place for you.

FrannyG
May 31st, 2008, 08:38 AM
Well, I've often wondered what the lungs of hair stylists are like, because the air is so often very heavy with hairspray and the like.

You really have to do what you need to for your health.

I'm just so sorry that you're so stressed at this time, however. I'm certain that you'll make the right decision for you.

About your hair, with your growth rate, you'll be uber-long before you know it.

I really wish you well, Rymorg2! :flowers:

k_hepburn
May 31st, 2008, 09:53 AM
I am really sorry to hear these news, rymorg2. Unfortunately, I would have to agree, that your chemical sensitivities are likely to be forcing you out of your current position (I had heard about this not being uncommon amongst hairdressers before).

You have been doing amazingly well at your salon chain, and the rate at which you advanced showed your skills must have really stood out for them. (I wonder if there was a possibility of them making a position at their regional headquarters available to you if you cannot continue to work on the shop floor.) It's a real shame that there isn't an Aveda type salon near you (maybe it would be worth checking with the company if they are at all planning on expanding?), as I'm sure they would have been delighted to take you on.

But still, you've managed to rise to a managerial position in a very short time and you obviously have a proven ability to deal with customers as well as co-workers / employees. These should be skills you can transfer to another area of the service industry, as will be your drive and energy. So I'm really hoping for the best for you in this transition period.

As for the hair - well, it looked stunning before the cut (and you had us all salivating over your purchases of hair forks) and it looked stunning afterwards, and now you can just go back to it looking long and stunning again.

Best wishes

katharine

Shermie Girl
May 31st, 2008, 10:01 AM
My thought is that no amount of money or smooth, fashionable hair is worth jeopardizing your health and well being. I know that you love what you do, but if it is making you ill, I think it is time to move on.

I know how hard it is to leave a line of work to which you are so well suited and love so much. I have done it. And it caused me a lot of pain, at first. But it was the right choice to make, for me. And in the end, made me much happier than I could have ever dreamed.

In the end, only you can make this decision. If you do decide to leap, lean on your husband, let him pick up the slack and support you through this. Yes, it will be hard for him. But it won't last forever and he will have the satisfaction of knowing that he is supporting and uplifting his best girl through this transition in her life.

Good luck. {{{HUGS}}}

rymorg2
May 31st, 2008, 10:47 AM
Oh this sucks so bad... my best friend who loved working in a salon and was gifted when it came to cutting/styling/coloring hair, had such a bad color allergic reaction too. Just mixing the color and developer would make her skin burn... She had to quit too after she got really bad chemical burns.

It was terrible watching her go through this. Take care of yourself and do what you need for your health. Hopefully everything else will fall into place for you.

Thanks Gabriel....mine aren't that bad yet but I don't want them to get that bad either. Thanks again!

rymorg2
May 31st, 2008, 10:48 AM
Well, I've often wondered what the lungs of hair stylists are like, because the air is so often very heavy with hairspray and the like.

You really have to do what you need to for your health.

I'm just so sorry that you're so stressed at this time, however. I'm certain that you'll make the right decision for you.

About your hair, with your growth rate, you'll be uber-long before you know it.

I really wish you well, Rymorg2! :flowers:

Hey Ms. Franny! I'm sure I will too.....I just wish it was over and done with LOL....Thanks!

rymorg2
May 31st, 2008, 10:50 AM
I am really sorry to hear these news, rymorg2. Unfortunately, I would have to agree, that your chemical sensitivities are likely to be forcing you out of your current position (I had heard about this not being uncommon amongst hairdressers before).

You have been doing amazingly well at your salon chain, and the rate at which you advanced showed your skills must have really stood out for them. (I wonder if there was a possibility of them making a position at their regional headquarters available to you if you cannot continue to work on the shop floor.) It's a real shame that there isn't an Aveda type salon near you (maybe it would be worth checking with the company if they are at all planning on expanding?), as I'm sure they would have been delighted to take you on.

But still, you've managed to rise to a managerial position in a very short time and you obviously have a proven ability to deal with customers as well as co-workers / employees. These should be skills you can transfer to another area of the service industry, as will be your drive and energy. So I'm really hoping for the best for you in this transition period.

As for the hair - well, it looked stunning before the cut (and you had us all salivating over your purchases of hair forks) and it looked stunning afterwards, and now you can just go back to it looking long and stunning again.

Best wishes

katharine

Hi Katherine....thanks.....if I were to work at the home office that would mean a big move, halfway across the US. As far as Aveda type salons, there are a few, but I know some of the girls that work in them and that's out, I can't work with them LOL. I'm sure it will all work out though. Thanks for the complements! All my old forks found new homes when I cut but I do have a few shorter forks to use in the meantime and plan on expanding my collection (again) once my hair gets longer. :D

rymorg2
May 31st, 2008, 10:52 AM
My thought is that no amount of money or smooth, fashionable hair is worth jeopardizing your health and well being. I know that you love what you do, but if it is making you ill, I think it is time to move on.

I know how hard it is to leave a line of work to which you are so well suited and love so much. I have done it. And it caused me a lot of pain, at first. But it was the right choice to make, for me. And in the end, made me much happier than I could have ever dreamed.

In the end, only you can make this decision. If you do decide to leap, lean on your husband, let him pick up the slack and support you through this. Yes, it will be hard for him. But it won't last forever and he will have the satisfaction of knowing that he is supporting and uplifting his best girl through this transition in her life.

Good luck. {{{HUGS}}}

You're absolutely right.....my dh is leaving it up to me. I know everyone I work with will think I'm stupid but I don't care. I have to get out I think. I'm glad to know you are happier for your move from your former career. It gives me hope in my own situation. Thanks Shermie Girl....Hugs!

Kirin
May 31st, 2008, 11:33 AM
Perhaps something you might consider, are finding salons which you can work that basically do cuts only. Granted there will still be some fallout from product but its an option.

Another one is as a stylist to work out of your home. Its something to consider on a part time basis and take appointments when you like and focus on natural hair care. Offer cuts, and chemical free treatments. Its a novelty and I'm sure you could get clients to suppliment your income.

Leisa
May 31st, 2008, 11:53 AM
Hi :) I agree with others that health comes first. And, like Kirin, I thought you could work out of your home cutting hair. Or, if you can put together a business plan and get a loan you could open your own 'chemical free' salon. They are becoming more popular nowadays. My sister who goes to upscale salons in NY recently switched to a chemical free salon and is getting natural hair color. She is really pleased.

You can always start slow and build a small clientel out of your house.

You know times are changing, they really are (I know thats a cliche). I used to have my own environmental house cleaning business. People are starting to say no to chemicals.
I think things happen for a reason. I would embrace the change and be happy your not subjecting yourself to a chemical soup every day.:)

Also if you feel guilty about not working then just be 100% homemaker and embrace that. Make hubby delicious meals everyday and clean the house. Nurture your husband for awhile. I'm a housewife and I have a saying "I don't work outside the house and my husband doesn't work inside the house.":D

LisaButz2001
May 31st, 2008, 09:42 PM
Kirin & Leisa beat me to my suggestion! If possible. listen to them, that way you could have the best of both worlds!

rymorg2
June 1st, 2008, 06:22 AM
Perhaps something you might consider, are finding salons which you can work that basically do cuts only. Granted there will still be some fallout from product but its an option.

Another one is as a stylist to work out of your home. Its something to consider on a part time basis and take appointments when you like and focus on natural hair care. Offer cuts, and chemical free treatments. Its a novelty and I'm sure you could get clients to suppliment your income.

Hi Kirin, that's a suggestion too....I don't know that there are many salons near me that DO just do cuts though, at least the ones I know of I wouldn't want to work for their owners (too many stories from former employees LOL) but I'll look into it.

I do plan on doing some things at home on a part time basis though. Thanks!

rymorg2
June 1st, 2008, 06:25 AM
Hi :) I agree with others that health comes first. And, like Kirin, I thought you could work out of your home cutting hair. Or, if you can put together a business plan and get a loan you could open your own 'chemical free' salon. They are becoming more popular nowadays. My sister who goes to upscale salons in NY recently switched to a chemical free salon and is getting natural hair color. She is really pleased.

You can always start slow and build a small clientel out of your house.

You know times are changing, they really are (I know thats a cliche). I used to have my own environmental house cleaning business. People are starting to say no to chemicals.
I think things happen for a reason. I would embrace the change and be happy your not subjecting yourself to a chemical soup every day.:)

Also if you feel guilty about not working then just be 100% homemaker and embrace that. Make hubby delicious meals everyday and clean the house. Nurture your husband for awhile. I'm a housewife and I have a saying "I don't work outside the house and my husband doesn't work inside the house.":D

Hi Leisa...thanks....I do plan on doing some things at home. However, while I wish I could open my own salon I don't think I want the headaches involved with managing other people anymore. But I'm considering it.

I used to be a homemaker and stay at home mom. I'd love to do it again; the only problem there is we have to have two paychecks. DH is willing to work two jobs for me to do that but I'm not willing for him to be so tired all the time. He's exhausted as it is. Eventually we will get to that point again. But for now we've made so much headway that I'm not willing to go backwards. LOL on your quote......that was how we were too. :D Hugs!

rymorg2
June 1st, 2008, 06:26 AM
Kirin & Leisa beat me to my suggestion! If possible. listen to them, that way you could have the best of both worlds!

Hi Lisa! How are you? I'm listening LOL....thanks!

rymorg2
June 1st, 2008, 06:29 AM
UPDATE.....Because my sensitivites aren't terrible (yet) and for the sake of insurance, I am going to look for another job but stay at the salon in the meantime until I find what I want. Hopefully in the next few months I'll be able to leave and still have insurance at my new job. In the meantime I will take very good care of myself and keep an eye on my health by eating well, exercising and taking my vitamins every day. Oh, and drinking lots of water too.

It's not so bad yet that I think I have to leave tomorrow. I think I can stay for a month or two more until I find something else. But I also realize that potentially it could get much worse and now while it's not bad is the time to consider getting out. Thanks guys!

rubyann
June 1st, 2008, 10:27 PM
You may find some relief by wearing gloves when dealing with the chemicals you have to use at work. You'd be surprised how quickly you can get used to them.

I hope the right position for you will jump right into your lap.:)

joyful373
June 2nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Rymorg2- sorry to hear about your allergies and reactions coming back, but it sounds like you have the right idea and right approach to the situation. What a wonderful and supportive family too! Taking care of yourself is the right thing to do, no matter what other options are out there. Thanks for the update, and keep doing the next right thing for you and your family :) hugs to you!

rymorg2
June 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
You may find some relief by wearing gloves when dealing with the chemicals you have to use at work. You'd be surprised how quickly you can get used to them.

I hope the right position for you will jump right into your lap.:)

Hi Rubyann! Thanks...I already do use gloves when dealing with the chemicals at work. Good suggestion though.....

rymorg2
June 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
Rymorg2- sorry to hear about your allergies and reactions coming back, but it sounds like you have the right idea and right approach to the situation. What a wonderful and supportive family too! Taking care of yourself is the right thing to do, no matter what other options are out there. Thanks for the update, and keep doing the next right thing for you and your family :) hugs to you!

Hi joyful....thanks......:grouphug:

Elenna
June 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Rymorg2, your health is very important. It is a good thing that you are noticing and being proactive about this. But on the other hand, you need a job.

khyricat
June 3rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
good luck- I'd look for other retail management stuff, or see about starting a small home based business with natural products and cuts to request, you could even focus on long hair/regrowing hair...

Amie

rymorg2
June 3rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Rymorg2, your health is very important. It is a good thing that you are noticing and being proactive about this. But on the other hand, you need a job.

Thanks Elenna....I'll figure it all out....

rymorg2
June 3rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
good luck- I'd look for other retail management stuff, or see about starting a small home based business with natural products and cuts to request, you could even focus on long hair/regrowing hair...

Amie

Hi Amie! I think I want to get out of management. I AM however, considering the home based business. :D

Gabriel
June 3rd, 2008, 05:17 PM
OH I didn't read back to see if this was suggested already but I remembered and didn't want to forget to post this...
I went to cosmetology school a few years back (where I met my best friend) and one of the teachers had a chemical allergy as well which is why she was teaching... that might be something to think of doing that kind of keeps you in the field without actually in the chemicals.
Also, I remembered too she had an allergy to the latex gloves... she used a different kind.

rymorg2
June 3rd, 2008, 05:36 PM
OH I didn't read back to see if this was suggested already but I remembered and didn't want to forget to post this...
I went to cosmetology school a few years back (where I met my best friend) and one of the teachers had a chemical allergy as well which is why she was teaching... that might be something to think of doing that kind of keeps you in the field without actually in the chemicals.
Also, I remembered too she had an allergy to the latex gloves... she used a different kind.

I've actually been asked by my former instructors to come back and teach. I would LOVE to do that....but in order to do that I'd have to pay tuition and it'd be like going back to school until I got my instructors license. That is the only thing that's kept me from doing it. Thanks gabriel....