PDA

View Full Version : Hair Fluff

Nat242
May 31st, 2008, 03:47 AM
My hair gets fluff in it. Dust, lint, and other "fluff" particles. As we know, fluff is a primary cause of knots, as well as odd looking hair.

General information:

1. I generally wear my hair bound in some way to bed - usually a high bun, sometimes a braid. I sleep on a satin pillow case and cotton sheets with no pilling (no peas, either :p) . I won't wear a sleep cap because I imagine it would interfere with, um...I choose to remain silent, so as not to breach guidelines...

2. Out of the house, I wear my hair braided or bunned 99.9% of the time.

3. When at home I may wear my hair out. When studying or relaxing at home, I'm seated on a leather couch. No fluff here.

4. Although I don't vacuum as often as I should, my carpet is exceedingly old (it's worn and trampled, and is essentially flat; before I acquired a vacuum, I used to sweep it with a broom, which worked fine), and I rarely roll around on it with my hair unbound.

5. I am rarely in a car, so my hair rarely comes into contact with a head rest. The bus is my main mode of travel, and as you know, there are no such comforts on the bus (probably a good thing, hygiene-wise :rolleyes:).

6. I wash my hair every second day. My hair hates conditioner, so when it's wet, I usually apply a small amount of oil and shea...then my hair is bunned until dry.

So...why does my hair get so much fluff in it? More importantly, how on Earth do I get it out? The only thing I can think of is combing with a very fine-toothed comb, but I'm trying to minimise combing and brushing.

Any tips for de-fluffing and lint removal without resorting to a clothing brush? :eyebrows:

Many thanks!! :cheese:

-- Natalie

frizzinator
May 31st, 2008, 04:09 AM
Lint may be air-borne, and your carpet may not be the only thing that contributes lint. Do you use a clothes dryer? Clothing probably contributes lint. Even though I used one of those thin fast-absorbtion towels (back when I used water), I still think the towel was responsible for some of the lint in my hair.

I don't know how to eliminate lint, but ever since I started sleeping with a silk scarf tied up front at the forehead (as well as sleeping on the silk pillowcase), there has been less lint in my hair. I use a bbb about once every 3 weeks to get lint out of my hair. I use a fine tooth horn comb everyday but I don't think it removed all of the tiny lint fibers.

The quantity of hairs and the oil in hair probably helps trap lint in the hair.

KnightsLady
May 31st, 2008, 04:13 AM
I find I get less lint when I don't use coconut oil. The oil helps it adhere to the strands. Trouble is, hair looks better with a little coconut oil.

Lint is everywhere. It glints in sunbeams. Don't know where it all comes from. Clothing perhaps.

FrannyG
May 31st, 2008, 04:34 AM
Although I only wrap my hair in a towel for a few minutes, without squeezing or any other manipulation, such as "towel drying", I do, on occasion find lint from my towel in my hair. I'm pretty sure that's the source, due to the colour of the lint.

AprilElf
May 31st, 2008, 05:09 AM
I always get the dreaded 'blue' fluff coating my comb when detangling after washing my hair. It's obviously from the towel.
After wash-day combing, lint isn't too much of a problem for me (except on my socks! -ha ha). I have no bright ideas for how else to remove it from hair, sorry. :confused:

ilovelonghair
May 31st, 2008, 05:22 AM
I have the problem too, but there is nothing that helps. Certainly oils make it worse, or any other products that make hair slightly oily or sticky.

iris
May 31st, 2008, 06:31 AM
Dust is largely made up of shed skin cells I'm afraid. I know, ew. And yeah, it floats around in the air.

I find that shea butter is especially bad for attracting dust to my hair, worse than oils. Other than that, it sort of comes with the oiling territory. Maybe misting will help? I do think that static electricity has something to do with it, and getting enough moisture in should help with that.

Iris

Nat242
May 31st, 2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks everyone!

Frizzinator - I know that lint can be airborne, but so much of it winds up in my hair, I thought there might be other contributing factors. I don't use a clothes dryer, ever. So a BBB might help? I'll look into it, thanks. I've been following your SO routine with great interest :flower:

Knightslady & Ilovelonghair - you're right, it's probably the oils. I can't give them up, though, so I need to find ways to remove the dust from my hair as best I can :flower:

Franny & April Elf - I don't think it's my towel, actually, as my towels are red or blue, and the lint in my hair is usually white-ish. That said, do microfiber towels get as lint-y as regular towels?

Iris - EW! I remember when I first heard that dust = skin....it made me want to dust. Well, almost ;) Thanks for the misting tip, I'll give that a go.

Thanks, everyone! If anyone thinks of more lint-removal tips, I'd be thrilled to hear about them.
:flowers:

-- Natalie

KnightsLady
May 31st, 2008, 11:15 PM
I changed back from microfibre to regular towel because of the fluff they left started to annoy me. That plus I don't like the feel of them.

Trolleypup mentioned a while ago that he found that old threadbare towels are better than the really fluffy ones, because there was less lint. You could also try something like t-shirt material instead of a towel, or even just drip dry as Jason does.

julya
May 31st, 2008, 11:24 PM
I have no solutions for you, but I have this lint problem too!

trolleypup
May 31st, 2008, 11:37 PM
Old towels have less lint. Yuck! Not fluffy = fail, for me.

My microfiber towels don't shed lint at all. So I use a microfiber to turban my hair, and a fluffy towel on my body.

KnightsLady
June 1st, 2008, 12:33 AM
Apologies Trolleypup. My memory must be faulty.

Apologies in advance to Jason also, just in case I said anything wrong there too.

trolleypup
June 1st, 2008, 10:38 PM
Apologies Trolleypup. My memory must be faulty.
Oh, I probably said that, answering something about lint reduction, but personally, I'd rather have lint in my hair than use a lint free sandpaper towel...but I do know some people prefer that sort of towel.

doodlesmart
June 1st, 2008, 11:21 PM
I second the BBB, though you said you were trying to minimize brushing/combing. I also found that my lint problems reduced quite a bit when I started ACV rinses. I think the extra slip helped.

Nini
June 2nd, 2008, 02:19 AM
I get more lint/dust/whatever in my hair when it's time to clarify. Of course, working on the farm I'm around dust and dirt all the time, so the sources are aplenty in my case...:D

Nini

Igor
June 2nd, 2008, 06:20 AM
Are there any particular parts of your hair where you find the lint? I used to get it at the very tippy ends after a freezing hair-incident. I took it as a sign that the cuticles were roughed up but not “damaged”. As in that the rest of my strands still had cuticles too smooth to “hold” lint

Anje
June 2nd, 2008, 07:01 AM
I've been getting lots of lint lately, particularly if my hair is oiled, which seems to encourage it to stick. So I'm interpreting it as a signal to check the lint filters on my dryer (and washer, if I can find them). Washing hair removes it, and for me, so does a few passes with the BBB. (Of course, then you need to de-lint the brush....)