PDA

View Full Version : Zote Soap for Hair Washing!!!

ratgirldjh
November 9th, 2010, 10:46 AM
This may not be in the correct place... but I don't think of it as a mainstream hair product... or an 'herbal' one... so mods sorry if this is the wrong place... :)

Anyway in the past I have tried using Zote soap for shampoo. I got pretty good results, however recently I tried it again and used a slightly stronger vinegar rinse this time and got very good results!!!

I've been using it weekly and have to say that it makes my hair shinier than my other soaps and poo bars!!!

It may or may not have glycerine in it depending on the ingredients on the back of the bar versus the Zote site - but it does have 'brighteners' LOL and I wonder if this is what is making my hair shiny?

It is scented with citronella oil, and is made of (from Zote site): The main ingredients are beef tallow and coconut oil, which are neutralized with caustic soda for the saponification process. It contains salt (sodium chloride), glycerin, perfume, optical brightener and dye, in the case of pink ZOTE and blue ZOTE.

The back of my bars (white ones) have this ingredient list: sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate, fragrance and optical brightener. I have used the pink as well but it has dye, and I couldn't tell the difference.

The salt doesn't bother my hair and for now neither is the glycerine! I've used Kirk's Coco Castille which has glycerine listed and it was terrible for my hair... my hair would never completely dry.

With this soap my hair is super shiny, soft and wavy! Who would have believed it??? LOL And it is SO cheap!

I'm actually not allergic to this soap!!! yay!

Anyone else tried this?

aenflex
November 9th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Sounds interesting. I'm gonna Google it.

Aredhel77
November 9th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I have heard that optical brighteners used in laundry soaps/liquids can bind irreversibly to the skin - I'm not sure what this means though, does anyone know...?

Sorry ratgirl, not trying to put a dampener on, especially if you don't seem to be allergic. I'm just wondering whether it's a bad thing...

:confused: ?

ratgirldjh
November 9th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I have heard that optical brighteners used in laundry soaps/liquids can bind irreversibly to the skin - I'm not sure what this means though, does anyone know...?

Sorry ratgirl, not trying to put a dampener on, especially if you don't seem to be allergic. I'm just wondering whether it's a bad thing...

:confused: ?

Well I have been using this soap for both dishes and laundry for YEARS and no problems...

So I guess it isn't happening to me yet anyway!!! :cheese:

eta: I researched it some more and found that whatever the 'optical brightener' is (LOL) it is non chlorine based... whatever that means...

ratgirldjh
November 9th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Well I guess I spoke too soon... after posting this I went to wash my hair and when I brushed it before washing I noticed that I had some pretty bad build up coming off on my brush. And then I looked at my hair closer and the bottom was kind of greasy looking...

I didn't want to clarify because I have done henna about a week ago - so I just washed with my regular auryvedic soap bar and did a vinegar rinse and it seems ok now.

But I am hoping that the build up was from the glycerine instead of the optical brighteners...

This is still my favorite soap for dish washing since it is the only soap that rinses clean and it takes off grease well.

But I guess for hair it is not the best.

Hope no one decided to try it...

Oh btw - my bf uses it for bath soap and has used it without problems many times on his hair. But his hair is short and curly...

Aredhel77
November 10th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Oh no! Sorry to hear it :( you sounded excited that it was working...