PDA

View Full Version : shaved my head for charity, a long journey back to long hair

ikke1978
November 9th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Hello,

I am new here.
My name is Eva and i am from The Netherlands.
About 12 weeks ago i decided to totally shave my head for cancer-charity to raise money. I don't regret doing it, but i really want my hair to be long again.

I know it will be a very long journey, but hope to find some support here in this very long journey.... hahaha

Unfortunately i am on medication that can cause hair loss for 5 months. But i really hope that i won't experience that side effect. It really frightens me, because i want my hair to be long and helathy again.

I will add some pictures of my shaved head and the growth so far. It is not growing very fast, maybe due to the medicine. i don't know.

I hope i won't shock you people with my pictures since you all have long hair, but i hope to get there one day.

Sorry for my Englisch, i know it is not perfect.

Eva

aenflex
November 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Well it's nice to see that you made such a donation! It's your hair and your choice to shave or not, so don't worry about negativity, you shouldn't see that. Welcome to the forums, this is certainly the place to learn and grow while trying to grow :)

DARKMARTIAN
November 9th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Wow.....what a wonderful thing to do. No doubt you'll find a lot of support here......

best wishes.....:)

feralnature
November 9th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Welcome! And you have done a wonderful thing shaving your hair off for a charity. There are others here on the forum that have shaved their heads and then grown their hair long again. You have come to the right place. :)

kwaniesiam
November 9th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I shaved my head in May. Not for any charitable reasons though, my hair was bleached and fried to the point of breaking off in clumps. I had a lot of hair loss from hypothyroidism and anemia, my hair has really thickened up but it still isn't where it used to be. Don't worry, even if you do experience some hair loss it will grow back healthy in time. Check my albums for pictures of my progress, you'll get there too :)

ikke1978
November 9th, 2010, 09:56 AM
deleted pictures

feralnature
November 9th, 2010, 09:58 AM
ikke! You look stunning with short hair!

ikke1978
November 9th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks for your replies already. I guess i found the right forum. Thanks.

Kwaniesiam: I will check your album soon. Very curious what length your hair is now.

Feralnature: Thanks, but i prefer long beautful hair like you all have.

Groetjes Eva

ikke1978
November 9th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Hmmm, i think i don't have permission to look at albums?!?

aenflex
November 9th, 2010, 10:20 AM
It looks GOOD on you!!! You have a cute face for it!

noelgirl
November 9th, 2010, 10:27 AM
First of all, you are gorgeous! And that's actually pretty good growth for just 12 weeks, it looks like you're about on the average growth rate. And welcome!

Rivanariko
November 9th, 2010, 10:30 AM
You need 25 posts before you can view other members' profiles and albums. Go chatter in some other people's threads and you should be there in no time :)

You should check out Igor's page once you can view profiles. She shaved her head several years ago (don't remember how long) and is approaching knee-length now! I'm sure she'd have some inspiring words for your journey!

pepperminttea
November 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Good for you, and welcome to LHC. :flower:

I'm sure you'll come across her sooner or later, but Igor's grown her hair from a shaved head, and after eight years she's nearly at knee length! :) Quite the inspiration.

Darkhorse1
November 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
WOW! You are stunning! And have very fast hair growth. Another member here, Igor, shaved her head (for personal reasons). She's past 7 years now and her hair is to her knees---I'm sure you can view her photos for inspiration.

Welcome to the board :)

And might I add what a lovely, selfless thing you did!! Donating your hair :)

BrightEyes7
November 9th, 2010, 10:40 AM
First off welcome to LHC!! :flowers:

Secondly, I have a boat load of respect for you, that you shaved your head for charity!!

I know it seems like forever now, but in no time you'll have long hair again! And with the advice of all these hair gurus here it'll be 10 times better than your hair before!! :D

BTW... I think you look really nice with the buzz cut! It really suits your features. But I understand you desire for long hair!

Aredhel77
November 9th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I agree with everything that's been said, what a great thing to do - and short hair does suit you!

Now all your hair will be 'new' as it grows....unless you decide to dye it of course :D. Welcome to LHC and good luck in your long hair journey! :cheese:

Dreams_in_Pink
November 9th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Wow, pixie length looks great on you!!

Don't worry; since your goal is just 20 inches, it won't take too long.

Shellby
November 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Welcome! You are gorgeous with the short hair. And I think it is growing in really well and pretty fast, too. Your hair will be so healthy! The advice I have gained here is priceless. Glad to have you here so I can see your journey progress. :)

Angelica
November 9th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I think it a very admirable thing that you did. You look beautiful by the way with your hair that short and I am sure just as beautiful with it long. Happy growing!

spidermom
November 9th, 2010, 11:20 AM
You have a very appealing gamine look to you right now. Happy growing! You have so many stages to enjoy on your journey to long hair. I know it seems slow while you're growing through it, but I'm sure the time will pass pretty fast.

bunzfan
November 9th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Just wanted to say welcome you will get plenty of support here, your so pretty it looks great on you not many people could carry off hair that short:)

KajiKodomo
November 9th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I'll echo what everyone else has said; you look great with the short hair! I'm sure you'll look just as lovely with long locks as well! :D

I'm also growing out from a buzzcut (actually for the third time; I've gotten caught up in a cycle of cutting it all off then growing it out again). I'm about 7 months in, and my hair is now to the bottom of my nose in the front, and past my shoulders in the back. It looks like it's growing fast, so you shouldn't have to wait too long before it's manageable.

MissMay
November 9th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Wow, that's so selfless . . . I'd miss my hair too much!
Also, at least you now have the advantage of no damage, a "clean slate" as far as hair is concerned, so you won't have to worry as much about breakage.

Elenna
November 9th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hi Eva

I predict that your hair will be lovely.

KittyLost
November 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM
You look great with a shaved head! You are one of the lucky ones who can pull it off :)

Welcome to the forum, and good luck on your hair growing journey.

ericthegreat
November 9th, 2010, 01:14 PM
You did a commendable thing for charity. And you were very brave as well!
You look wonderful with that buzz cut of yours, you have such a lovely face. I wouldn't worry about the growing out process. Long hair takes time and patience. Just allow yourself to live your life as usual, and before you know it your hair will grow back. :)

autumnchild
November 9th, 2010, 01:29 PM
hi ikke and welcome, i am very new here as well and have read a lot of great support and advice from the LHC. LHC seems to be a great source of info and possitivity , many people seem very welcoming, and willing to share thier experiences and knowledge with all, and you will do great in your journey. what a wonderful thing you have done and you look great with the pixie!! before you know it you will say WOW look how long my hair is (I know that is what i'm waiting for!!) :happydance:

angelperception
November 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Welcome! I also shaved my head last year to raise money for cancer research. Once you have enough posts to view albums, check mine out- I've been keeping track of the growth with a picture every few months. :)

ikke1978
November 9th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all your replies.
I am so happy that i found this forum and all your inspiring stories.
It will give me strength in letting it grow long.

My main concern now is the common side effect of hair loss in medicine i have to take till end of march.
It will make my hair look thinner if that happens, but there is nothing i can do about that, can i?
I also have to take malaria-pills the whole month of February for a vacation to Africa which can also cause hair loss.
I just keep my fingers crossed that that won't happen.

I will explore the forum a bit more now. And read about all your inspiring stories.

gr, eva

sibiryachka
November 9th, 2010, 04:07 PM
With bone structure like that, you totally rock both shaved and super-short! I've always wished I could pull off that gamine look, but my genes did not cooperate. *is envious*

Islandgrrl
November 9th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the forums!

You look beautiful with no hair (well, super short hair), and I'm sure you'll look beautiful when it all grows back! It will be sooner than you think!

little_acorn
November 9th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the forums - you do look stunning with the short hair :)

Good luck on your long hair journey :flower:

Capybara
November 9th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the LHC! :flower: You are so pretty, I love the bald look on you!

christine1989
November 9th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Wow, you look lovely even with no hair. I can only immagine how you will look when it is long :).

Coan-Teen
November 9th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I know so many people have already said it but you look so pretty, with or without hair. :) Welcome to LHC! You're definitely in good company with lots of growers. And how brave to sacrifice your hair for a good cause.

Also, don't worry! Your English is fantastic! Tot ziens!

phistash
November 9th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I kept my head shaved for about 10 years, and started growing it out 4 years ago. I lost at least 10 inches of growth to haircuts that I now know were unnecessary, but I'm currently at 23.5". Factoring in the lost inches, I've grown about 33" in four years, for a tiny bit more than 8" a year.

You'll be there before you know it. I second looking at Igor's albums, as she is more dedicated to documenting her hair growth than I am.

You will probably get frustrated at times, but you can wear scarves, headbands, and other nice things in your hair until it is long enough to put up.

McFearless
November 9th, 2010, 08:30 PM
You're an inspiration, Eva! What an amazing thing to do. No doubt you'll have long hair not too far in the future. Keep a healthy diet and exercise regularly and you'll be on your way:)

LaurelSpring
November 9th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the forum! The good news is that you can start fresh with healthy virgin hair! I have heard some people say that when they shave their head the hair comes back in much thicker. Do you think that is true for you? Cant say I havent given it thought once or twice. :ponder:

yvsa
November 10th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Wow, ikke. What a brave thing to do.
You look beautiful with the short hair. Best of luck with growing it out.
And welcome to this wonderful community:D.

summergame
November 10th, 2010, 03:13 AM
You look stunning with no hair! As the others said,you begin with virgin hair and that is very healty and i'm sure we gonna see it!

trillcat
November 10th, 2010, 03:21 AM
WOW look at those eyes!
I am so jealous!
I know we are on a long hair board here, and you want to grow it back, but lady, you ROCK that bald to the extreme!
I would keep it looking like that, you look amazing!

Milo
November 10th, 2010, 03:29 AM
You look gorgeous even with minimal hair! You have a very beautiful face. Too bad you have to take all those medicines, I hope you won't have any hairloss because of it. You will grow amazing hair!

Lianna
November 10th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Welcome to the boards! There's a lot of short hairs here too. :) You look great with short hair. Take a look at this thread for us shorties: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405

ikke1978
November 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM
unfortunately, it does not seem to come back thicker.. That would have been great, because my hair is thin...hahha

ikke1978
November 10th, 2010, 08:24 AM
WOW look at those eyes!
I am so jealous!
I know we are on a long hair board here, and you want to grow it back, but lady, you ROCK that bald to the extreme!
I would keep it looking like that, you look amazing!

Thank you, but i am not confident enough to keep it like this. hahaha

ikke1978
November 10th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the forum! The good news is that you can start fresh with healthy virgin hair! I have heard some people say that when they shave their head the hair comes back in much thicker. Do you think that is true for you? Cant say I havent given it thought once or twice. :ponder:

unfortunately, it does not seem to come back thicker, which would have been great, since my hair is thin..haha

kdaniels8811
November 10th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Hello and Welcome! I lost my hair to chemo and you and I are at the same length! So grow with me, okay? And you do look adorable with short hair. I do not, I will be wearing my waist length wig until my hair grows out further. I am not willing to go out in public with my hair this short. Not attractive on me. So a wig it is. The super shorties thread is a really good one for encouragement. Glad you are here!

ikke1978
November 10th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Hello and Welcome! I lost my hair to chemo and you and I are at the same length! So grow with me, okay? And you do look adorable with short hair. I do not, I will be wearing my waist length wig until my hair grows out further. I am not willing to go out in public with my hair this short. Not attractive on me. So a wig it is. The super shorties thread is a really good one for encouragement. Glad you are here!

Hi, sorry to hear you had to go through chemo. Hope you are well again!!

Yes, i will grow with you. I think it will be a great support.
I can't see profiles yet or see pictures, because i don't have enough posts yet, i quess, but i will get there

kdaniels8811
November 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Just keep replying to posts, you need 25 to see pictures. You are at 22, almost there!

enfys
November 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Updo suggestions for short and growing out (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=76)

Guide to those who are starting over from very short (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=58)

Both of those articles were written by Igor and you may be able to see the pictures in them now (I'm not sure but it's worth a try). If not you will find them useful when you can!

Welcome to the board and I agree with everyone else that you are beautiful even without much hair! :flower:

Even if your meds do cause some hair thinning/loss at least you konw you suit short hair if you decide to keep it just for that few months; it may help conceal the thinning?

ikke1978
November 10th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Updo suggestions for short and growing out (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=76)

Guide to those who are starting over from very short (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=58)

Both of those articles were written by Igor and you may be able to see the pictures in them now (I'm not sure but it's worth a try). If not you will find them useful when you can!

Welcome to the board and I agree with everyone else that you are beautiful even without much hair! :flower:

Even if your meds do cause some hair thinning/loss at least you konw you suit short hair if you decide to keep it just for that few months; it may help conceal the thinning?

Wow, i just read those articles... amazing!!! Her hair looks stunning. I know my hair will not grow that way, because i have very fine hair, but this really is an inspiration. Thanks for sending me those articles

enfys
November 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Wow, i just read those articles... amazing!!! Her hair looks stunning. I know my hair will not grow that way, because i have very fine hair, but this really is an inspiration. Thanks for sending me those articles

No problem :flower:

I'm glad you were able to see them!

ikke1978
November 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
hmmm,

i still can't look into albums or profiles. Maybe i am doing something wrong.

enfys
November 10th, 2010, 12:57 PM
hmmm,

i still can't look into albums or profiles. Maybe i am doing something wrong.

It's a common problem; I think the mods have to manually do it so it can take time. Also you need to log out then back in when they have done it. Don't forget, albums can be set to private too but you should be able to viewanyones profiles once your account is updated.

DakarNick
November 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM
You do look good with short hair. Also, your English is great. Tons better than any foreign language I know.

How long was your hair before the shave?

Marjolein
November 11th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Hey Eva, welkom from another Dutchie!! The short styles do indeed look great on you but I'm sure longer hair would look wonderful too. About medicin induced hair loss, I'm not sure if there's anything you can do against that, really. But you can ofcourse already start pampering your hair, so that it grows out in the best condition it could possibly be.

Henna and Cassia Obovata are both plants (well, I'm talking about the powders dervied from them) that bind to your own hair structure and give you thicker and stronger hair. Henna colors the hair red, but cassia only leaves a very slight pale yellow color that's only noticable on people with very light hair coloring. Perhaps one of these two powders would be good for you? There's a lot of information on both of them on these boards.

ikke1978
November 11th, 2010, 09:29 AM
You do look good with short hair. Also, your English is great. Tons better than any foreign language I know.

How long was your hair before the shave?

he, my hair was half way of my back, but it is very fine, so it wouldn't grow further..

*Seraphina*
November 11th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hey Eva,

What a great thing to do!
I can understand that you would like to have your hair long again. But lucky you, you don't look ugly or something with short hair. It looks good on you.

ikke1978
November 13th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Welcome! I also shaved my head last year to raise money for cancer research. Once you have enough posts to view albums, check mine out- I've been keeping track of the growth with a picture every few months. :)

I just checked your album. I really like your short hair. Looks amazing on you. I hope my hair will grow like yours

Piewee
November 14th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Hi Ikke,

Hello from an other dutchie here.

I think it's great what you did, when I shaved my hair 2,5 years ago it was just for fun, I think you found such a better reason for doing so. Well Done!

Good luck with your hairgrow journey.

ButterflyKissx
November 14th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Holy hotdogs you have the most stunning face and features I have ever seen! You did an amazing thing by shaving for charity! :) And you have my support 100% Tell us what your hair was like before you shaved it, your hair care routine etc? oh and WELCOMEEE!!! :)

ikke1978
November 17th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Holy hotdogs you have the most stunning face and features I have ever seen! You did an amazing thing by shaving for charity! :) And you have my support 100% Tell us what your hair was like before you shaved it, your hair care routine etc? oh and WELCOMEEE!!! :)

Thanks, you make me shy..hahahah... i am just not that used to it (yet). Nor the people around me.

I don't really have a hair care routine yet. I used to colour it a lot... brown, blonde, black, red.
I am going to try my own hair colour now, but in the end i guess i want to go back to long and blonde.