PDA

View Full Version : Dark Hair Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I haven't really seen an official one for dark hair. Share your tips and what not that helps you make your dark color look radiant :). Colors and naturals included.

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Oh, me, me! I belong in this thread! *jumps up and down* (^(oo)^)/"

I'm a cone user, but I don't seem to have buildup problems like others do. Years of daily shampoo & conditioner application didn't noticeably decrease my shine at all. I didn't even know clarifying shampoos existed until last year, and that's only because I use them to wash lingerie! :p

The one thing that stopped my shine dead in its tracks (and brought me to LHC - oh hidden blessing in disguise!! :)) was the application of a protein-laden deep treatment! Never again, said the little piggy! Major pigtastrophe ensued ( ' (oo) ' )

I've been giving CO-washing a try for about 3 weeks, with good results - still lots of shine, and fewer flyaways. My hair is much softer too. It does seem to be looking a bit lighter in colour though - I'm not sure why.

I learned something interesting recently- dark hair actually reflects less light than fair hair. Makes sense if you think about it - the darker pigments absorb more light. However, dark hair often *appears* shinier because light that is reflected contrasts more with the dark colour of the hair. Neat-o! (^(oo)~)

cmnt831
November 9th, 2010, 08:25 AM
The times that my hair has been super shiny is when I've used an acidic rinse after shampooing like ACV, soapnut tea, or lemon rinse and then oiled my hair with shea butter/olive oil mix.

Here's an example. I used dandruff shampoo, soapnut tea and conditioner. Then I oiled it and air dried.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4741&pictureid=70178

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 08:28 AM
The times that my hair has been super shiny is when I've used an acidic rinse after shampooing like ACV, soapnut tea, or lemon rinse and then oiled my hair with shea butter/olive oil mix.

Here's an example. I used dandruff shampoo, soapnut tea and conditioner. Then I oiled it and air dried.

Pretty!!! (^(oo)^)

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Wow I didn't realize dark hair shined less than fair hair. It does make sense and the contrast does make our shine more noticeable. My hair has been shinier and more manageable since I decided to be cone free. Without cones, I don't feel the need to straighten....plus my short hair makes it impossible to get the hair between the iron I bet. I haven't tried though and I don't plan to ^_^

cmnt831
November 9th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Pretty!!! (^(oo)^)

Thank you! :)

DARKMARTIAN
November 9th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Wow...that is interesting about the reflectivity of dark hair. Dont do anything special to mine really though. Wash, rinse, repeat, condition. (I just always try to place myself in ideal lighting conditions :p)

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Wow I didn't realize dark hair shined less than fair hair. It does make sense and the contrast does make our shine more noticeable. My hair has been shinier and more manageable since I decided to be cone free. Without cones, I don't feel the need to straighten....plus my short hair makes it impossible to get the hair between the iron I bet. I haven't tried though and I don't plan to ^_^

1b hair is still pretty straight, isn't it? At least, I think so . . . I kind of stopped going through the hairtyping system photo examples when I landed on 1a :o

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Does anyone know if dark hair is stronger than fair hair? I always wondered. Fair hair looks very fragile.

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 08:42 AM
*snip*

Oh, I second the acidic rinse + oil routine! I use beer for the rinse, and then I put a few drops of Kiehl's Superbly Restorative Argan Dry Oil on the damp hair afterwards.

cmnt831
November 9th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Oh, I second the acidic rinse + oil routine! I use beer for the rinse, and then I put a few drops of Kiehl's Superbly Restorative Argan Dry Oil on the damp hair afterwards.

What sort of beer do you use? Is it fizzy or flat?

We've always got beer in the house and I can't finish a bottle and so have leftovers a lot of the time. :D

Sundial
November 9th, 2010, 09:12 AM

We've always got beer in the house and I can't finish a bottle and so have leftovers a lot of the time. :D

Let it go flat :) there's a thread here about beer rinses

bumblebums
November 9th, 2010, 09:19 AM
My impression was that, all other things being equal, darker hair is more shiny than lighter hair. Once I got my hair into decent enough shape, it started reflecting light. I have dark brown hair.

Off-topic, jenwexler, if you own a straightening iron, you do not have 1b hair. Hair of the 1b type does not even develop any sort of wave until it is longer than shoulder length.

My dark hair tip: mix unsweetened dark cocoa powder with cornstarch to make dry shampoo.

DARKMARTIAN
November 9th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Let it go flat :) there's a thread here about beer rinses

That is Sooo much better than urine....which I did see a thread here about once...:o

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 09:37 AM

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55808

I use leftovers too (^(oo)^)v And, you can bring a fresh one into the shower with you, and if you don't finish it, just leave it in there, and presto! Leftovers for next time! ;)

cmnt831
November 9th, 2010, 10:37 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55808

I use leftovers too (^(oo)^)v And, you can bring a fresh one into the shower with you, and if you don't finish it, just leave it in there, and presto! Leftovers for next time! ;)

Lol! Dh has done that before after working outside, but he always finishes it. So no leftovers for me. :p

Thanks for the link. :)

HintOfMint
November 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I have a question for everyone. I have a soft-black shade of hair that has a brown glow in the sun, and this is my natural color and I have virgin hair. I have found that, over time, the ends tend to bleach out a bit and get lighter. They aren't split or brittle, but they can look damaged because they are a bit lighter. How can I prevent this? Is this reversible? Anyone else have this problem?

Nera
November 9th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Hintofmint, that is because the ends have been exposed to sunlight more than the roots, because they simply exist longer. It's completely normal and often you can tell if some one dyed their hair, because the ends and the roots have the same color.

You can prevent it by protecting your hair from the sun by covering it with something.

Juneii
November 9th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know if dark hair is stronger than fair hair? I always wondered. Fair hair looks very fragile.

doubtful, lighter colored hair is a light color because of the lack of melanin present. The strength of the hair depends on the thickness and health of the hair. :)

I belong in this thread! And I am with Piggy on the shampoos and conditioners. I've tried different shampoos, oils, and other methods, but the product I find that works best in making my hair shiny and tangle free are coney shampoos. That and apple cider vinegar rinses.

trolleypup
November 9th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I have a question for everyone. I have a soft-black shade of hair that has a brown glow in the sun, and this is my natural color and I have virgin hair. I have found that, over time, the ends tend to bleach out a bit and get lighter. They aren't split or brittle, but they can look damaged because they are a bit lighter. How can I prevent this? Is this reversible? Anyone else have this problem?
*shrug* Natural wear and tear and sun bleaching. My longest ends are closer to a dark reddish brown than the black brown of the root ends...and upon examination, they are thinner...so some of the hair cuticle has been worn off in the 7 years in between.

I suppose by keeping it up and covered and minimizing manipulation/washing/preening/etc. you can reduce this wear and tear. After years of more protective hair care (hair up most of the time, usually covered while in the sun), my lighter streaks are less pronounced, but they are definitely still there.

In my case, not reversible, and I'm certainly not going to attempt to cover/dye the wear up.

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 11:44 AM
What kind of hair type do I have?

MissManda
November 9th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Am I allowed to join?

My hair color is a medium brown (now auburn thanks to henna) and is too dark to belong in the tawny/blonette threads, but I'm really starting to wonder if I should call myself dark-haired because someone told me I'm technically not a brunette even though most other people including myself would consider my color to be dark (a little confused here). :confused:

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Am I allowed to join?

My hair color is a medium brown (now auburn thanks to henna) and is too dark to belong in the tawny/blonette threads, but I'm really starting to wonder if I should call myself dark-haired because someone told me I'm technically not a brunette even though most other people including myself would consider my color to be dark (a little confused here). :confused:

Auburn is the dark end of red, and your original hair colour counts as dark, I hope - otherwise I'm only dark on the root end of my hair, but my ends don't qualify (^(oo)^)v

MissManda
November 9th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Off-topic, jenwexler, if you own a straightening iron, you do not have 1b hair. Hair of the 1b type does not even develop any sort of wave until it is longer than shoulder length.

That is very interesting! :) My hair is a 1b or 1b/1c above shoulder length and gets wavier as it gets longer. I've been a bit confused as to whether I'm a 1b or a 1c lately and this makes me lean more toward 1c...

If you don't mind my asking, where did you hear that from?

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 01:46 PM

Totally normal - it's just sunbleaching mostly, I think. It's not reversible, but if it really bothers you, maybe you can try UV protection sprays to keep it from getting worse? I have it too, and I also have virgin, undyed, unprocessed hair. You can see it very clearly in this photo - most of my length is tucked into the twist, so my ends are right up next to the roots:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=84533

Madora
November 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Brushing and nothing else. I was once asked my my doctor's secretary what I used to achieve the shine I had in my dark hair. She was nonplussed when I said it was nothing but daily brushing with a boar bristle brush.

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I use a boar bristle brush only on the days My hair gets really oily.

Qwackie
November 9th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I have off black hair. My bangs are bleached to medium brown, though.
I've always considered myself a 1-b. I have no waves whatsoever, but my hair curls under at the end.

MissManda
November 9th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I find coconut oil really helped enhance my shine as well as henna plus moisturizing conditioner. My hair doesn't like 'cones, but it doesn't have problem with 'quats, which make my hair smooth and soft. Oh, and I mustn't forget the famous SMT. I'm currently trying to do one once every week or two.

I like CO-washing a lot, but I'm still trying to find the perfect condish that doesn't hurt my and DBF's noses that isn't too expensive. CWC is the next best thing for me.

I've heard a lot of great things about ACV rinses, but I haven't gotten the chance to buy any yet. I think I'll make that my next hair experiment. ;)

bumblebums
November 9th, 2010, 02:29 PM
That is very interesting! :) My hair is a 1b or 1b/1c above shoulder length and gets wavier as it gets longer. I've been a bit confused as to whether I'm a 1b or a 1c lately and this makes me lean more toward 1c...

If you don't mind my asking, where did you hear that from?

From confirmed 1b's :)

The thing is, naturally straight hair in good condition does not get frizzy; I think it would not occur to a true 1b to make it any straighter. The people who struggle with their texture tend to be overwhelmingly 2's of some sort or another. Their hair is of the neither-here-nor-there variety, so they either perm it straight or perm it curly.

But your comment reveals another pitfall of typing: if there is a mild curl, it sometimes doesn't become apparent until the hair gets longer. So except for extremes (the 1as and the 3s and 4s), it is hard to
type shorter hair with confidence. Hence I am not volunteering to type jenwexler's hair.

There is another confound: sometimes, certain kinds of damage cause texture change. A friend of mine fried her hair with dye, and it went from a 1a/b to 2c, if not 3a. Once she grew that out, it went back to 1a/b. Hair that's more porous as a result of damage can become curlier, and conversely, hair that's curly can become straighter as a result of damage. It's complicated.

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM
My ends flip even where the bleach wasn't applied. My bangs are mostly virgin and have that nice flip too. Hmm...I guess I'll have to wait and see. When it was funn virgin, my hair was too thick and frizzy for me to tell fully. When the frizz calmed down, it had some slight waviness to it but no legit wave pattern...but this was when I was only 11 just hitting puberty.

DuckyDot
November 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Hi, I'm joining in too since my hair is dark brown and med/light at the ends! I have very un-shiny hair and it has always been that way. I don't really fancy a vinegar rinse and lemon reacts badly with my scalp, so I guess i'm stuck in an un-shiny hair world....

bumblebums
November 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM
My ends flip even where the bleach wasn't applied. My bangs are mostly virgin and have that nice flip too. Hmm...I guess I'll have to wait and see. When it was funn virgin, my hair was too thick and frizzy for me to tell fully. When the frizz calmed down, it had some slight waviness to it but no legit wave pattern...but this was when I was only 11 just hitting puberty.

Ok, I had a look at your tumblr page, and one of the pics shows a clear curl with a diameter of maybe 1" at the neck. I don't think truly straight hair does that. But mine did when I had hair your length. I am a 2c.

grldollies
November 9th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I haven't really seen an official one for dark hair. Share your tips and what not that helps you make your dark color look radiant :). Colors and naturals included.
Dark Hair COOL!!!!:) After I shampoo & condition (Kiss my Face Big Body), I use a bit of Citre' Shine - a light oily type spray (one cone I do use -it has good stuff in it too) - it makes my ends more slippery & not tangle. It has a little shine, but what really works best for me as for shine is a product called Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil. Usually found in the ethnic isle 2oz about $5-6. I put a little on my hands & smooth from crown to ends. It is a nice light oil blend that soaks in nicely and gives me a nice sheen but not greasy. I've tried all kinds of oils but they are usually too heavy or thick. I will use them on my hair before bed & wash my hair in the morning - which is good, but the Olive Oil blend is the only one I can use in the daytime. Its my Fav - I've been using it for years. They make other oils & conditioners which are nice - but just heavy on my fine hair.

Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil ingredients:
Soybean Oil, Safflower Oil, Olive Oil, Vitamin E, Chamomile Extract, Macadamian Nut Oil, Coconut Oil, Methylparaben, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Fragrance, BHA, D&C Yellow #11, D&C Green #6.
http://www.amazon.com/HOLLYWOOD-BEAUTY-Olive-Oil-60ml/dp/B000SASL4O

Hey is this group gonna have a name?

Dangerously Dark Heads? Twilight Tresses? Hehe

- Have great hair day! - Gay :puppykisses:

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 03:33 PM
*snip*

Hey is this group gonna have a name?

Dangerously Dark Heads? Twilight Tresses? Hehe

- Have great hair day! - Gay :puppykisses:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/784126i7m0zlsre1.gif

The Dark Side (^(oo)~)

nemileo
November 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Embracing dark hair! I just love it :D And there are a lot of gorgeous dark heads here!

starlights
November 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Pretty!!! (^(oo)^)
yep looks gorgeous!!

starlights
November 9th, 2010, 03:39 PM
coconut oil helps to keep my colour black and glossy looking.

Shicurls
November 9th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I want to join! I have dark hair too!! I'm trying to grow out my curls, and I have been contemplating Cassia as a conditioning agent and strengthening substance. I just don't want my natural color to change, and I rather like the few grays coming in.

Other than that: Coconut Oil is my friend! I use it as a prewash and in my shampoo, and I love Nightblooming's panacea and the Triple Moon Oil. And some sort of acid rinse.

cmnt831
November 9th, 2010, 03:44 PM
yep looks gorgeous!!

Thanks! :flowers:

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 03:50 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/784126i7m0zlsre1.gif

The Dark Side (^(oo)~)

"Come to the dark side. We have cookies!"

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 03:51 PM
coconut oil helps to keep my colour black and glossy looking.

Can I buy coconut oil in Whole Foods possibly? I'll be going home soon; I'll be able to stock up on natural hair stuff =]

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 04:05 PM
"Come to the dark side. We have cookies!"

Excellent, excellent, I was hoping we'd be providing :cookie: in this thread

Cookies http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/cookie.gif and beer :beer:

greentealeaf
November 9th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Can I buy coconut oil in Whole Foods possibly? I'll be going home soon; I'll be able to stock up on natural hair stuff =]

Yep, that's where I get mine! Their 365 brand carries some that is in a black plastic jar with a twist on lid for $10.

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Awesome! I need to stock up on all that is hair haha. Well natural oils and what not anyways. goodbye cones =]

adiapalic
November 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Dark hair here, with a deep red pigment. Shows up a lot in the sun-bleached ends. :)

sailing
November 9th, 2010, 04:55 PM

The Dark Side (^(oo)~)

Excellent, excellent, I was hoping we'd be providing :cookie: in this thread

Cookies http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/cookie.gif and beer :beer:

Must say, I love the piggy in the sunglasses in her chair, makes me most happy!

Cookies and can I have root beer please?

Near black hair that sunbleaches really really easily so I'm currently figuring out what mix of henna, buxus and indigo work. Lots of curls here.

Coney head here, no cones is not my friend. Means I get huge horrible knots that do not comb out. But protein is my bestest friend ever.

Buildup - well, I don't see or feel any, and my hair doesn't act out other than throwing curly tantrums. But I also have to shampoo daily due to salt air, which my hair does hate.

bumblebums
November 9th, 2010, 07:01 PM

Yep, that's where I get mine! Their 365 brand carries some that is in a black plastic jar with a twist on lid for $10.

Hold on! I buy mine (also 365, unrefined organic virgin CO) in the cooking oils isle for $6. The black plastic jar stuff must be cosmetic grade? I would recommend going for food grade; it's generally better quality anyway. With the exception of stuff like chili peppers, whatever you can put in your mouth is okay to put on your body, too.

Bene
November 9th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Another dark hair checking in http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/smilies/wavey.gif

excentricat
November 9th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Another dark hair joining in. I bring my specialty, peanut butter fudge. :stirpot: Being virtual, it is also allergen free.

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 07:17 PM
What things do you guys recommend I stock up on from whole foods?

Addy
November 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM
OOO! OOO! ME! ME! :D

I'm a Dark Hair too! See...

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4214/dsci0521a.jpg (http://img243.imageshack.us/i/dsci0521a.jpg/)

This is 2+ years of growing out color. :cool:

I wash once or twice a week, CO most of the time, do ACV when my scalp itches like crazy and just started using EVOO again.

Nae
November 9th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I am dark over here!! Well, mostly, excepting my beautous streak of white! Teehee.

I love the coconut oil and the ACV for shine, along with a shot of cold water at the end of the shower. (On my head only...........what do you think I am crazy or something?!?!?! It is almost winter here!)

I like my hair color quite well, thank you mom and dad!

Glad to join the dark side!!

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Welcome to the dark side. We have cookies >=]

bumblebums
November 9th, 2010, 07:35 PM
So here are some things that probably only (or mostly) work for darkhairs, from the herbal haircare world:

-rosemary extract (take some sprigs of rosemary, boil them for a while, strain, cool, then use as a rinse). Wonderfully conditioning and good for the scalp, but thought to temporary darken hair.
- sage extract (same as above)
- rosemary EO
- amla (Indian Ayurvedic herb--sometimes said to darken hair or bring an ashy tone to it, although the effects are temporary as far as I know) See the Indian Herbs article for instructions on use
-black tea rinses. Look at what tea does to your teapot and teacup. And your teeth!

I think I already mentioned adding cocoa powder to cornstarch to make dry shampoo but I am too lazy to check the rest of the thread. It's a darkhair-specific trick.

obscuranox
November 9th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I recently got this product by Organix called Organix Shea Butter Liquid Serum and it seems to make my hair super shiny but not ridiculously oily. It has shea butter, yogurt proteins, and avocado oils. I usually put it on before bed every night when I braid my hair. I don't just put it on my ends, but basically from my neck down. I don't douse myself in it, though, haha.

This seems to also really help right after I comb my hair in between washes and it gets that annoying frizzy look on the bottom. This seems to make it smoother and separate out my strands so it's not just one big puff.

I like this for my dark hair because I dye my hair a dark brown with a reddish/purplish tint, and it seems to make those pretty colors stand out more. :)

Shicurls
November 9th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I add Rosemary EO to my Monistat mix and use a dropper on my scalp the night before wash day. My hair isn't darker, but I do find that my colors are more intense....

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I recently got this product by Organix called Organix Shea Butter Liquid Serum and it seems to make my hair super shiny but not ridiculously oily. It has shea butter, yogurt proteins, and avocado oils. I usually put it on before bed every night when I braid my hair. I don't just put it on my ends, but basically from my neck down. I don't douse myself in it, though, haha.

This seems to also really help right after I comb my hair in between washes and it gets that annoying frizzy look on the bottom. This seems to make it smoother and separate out my strands so it's not just one big puff.

I like this for my dark hair because I dye my hair a dark brown with a reddish/purplish tint, and it seems to make those pretty colors stand out more. :)

That stuff sounds great! Where did you get it?

obscuranox
November 9th, 2010, 08:09 PM
That stuff sounds great! Where did you get it?
I got it from CVS pharmacy :) I'm sure they have it in other similar pharmacies too.

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 08:13 PM
really? i am definitely looking into it as long as there are no cones.

kmouse43
November 9th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Another dark hair here! My hair has always been dark brown and one time I dyed it platinum blonde! It was pretty awful! Now I henna every 6 weeks or so, so my hair is a dark auburn and my grays look kind of neon orange in the sunlight! Haha!!

obscuranox
November 9th, 2010, 08:44 PM
really? i am definitely looking into it as long as there are no cones.
It appears that there are cones:

Ingredients
Cyclomethicone, Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane, C2-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Silk Amino Complex, Vanilla Bean Oil, Shea Butter, Avocado Oil, Yogurt Proteins, Vitamin E, Fragrance.,

My hair is fine with cones so I don't worry too much about it. I just do plenty of ACV rinses and it seems to work well :)

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Cones don't like me unless I use heat =[

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Another dark hair joining in. I bring my specialty, peanut butter fudge. :stirpot: Being virtual, it is also allergen free.

Woo! We've got a lovely refreshments area going! Peanut butter fudge, cookies, beer, root beer . . . . oh yes, almost forgot:
:gobblecheese:

(^(oo)^)

ETA: Alas! Now I'm hungry! (>(oo)<)`

lundmir
November 9th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I have an unnatural pink/red color now, but I have really black hair naturally, which I love too.
When I leave it natural, I really don't do much to it, just follow my normal routine. It is quite shiny by itself.

This is my natural hair plus pink, blue and purple extensions:
http://s1d5.turboimagehost.com/t/4856480_extensions.jpg (http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/4856480/extensions.jpg.html)

And here it is by itself:
http://s1d5.turboimagehost.com/t/4856483_virgin.jpg (http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/4856483/virgin.jpg.html)

I've got some other pictures on my profile, if anyone wants to see.

jenwexler
November 9th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I used to have pink too!

Yozhik
November 11th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Woo! We've got a lovely refreshments area going! Peanut butter fudge, cookies, beer, root beer . . . . oh yes, almost forgot:
:gobblecheese:

(^(oo)^)

ETA: Alas! Now I'm hungry! (>(oo)<)`

You said the magic word, Piggy! I can't live without :cheese:
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :hollie: :cheese:
(hee hee, I had to sneak it in, too)

Fellow member of the dark side, here! :waving:

I use coconut oil or coconut oil with aloe for shine, and have recently gotten back into ACV rinses (which = :cloud9:)

tinygirl
November 11th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Can I join?
My hair is...well, I'm not quite sure quite WHAT colour I'd class my hair - a darkish brown with some kind of tint of 'auburness'?

Anyway, I gather that bringing a little something is customary, so I bring :cheese:

jenwexler
November 11th, 2010, 06:16 AM

I use coconut oil or coconut oil with aloe for shine, and have recently gotten back into ACV rinses (which = :cloud9:)

Coconut oil with aloe sounds like something I'd like to try to bring out that shine =]

sally_neuf
November 11th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Oh! Definitely me me me thread!!!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4046&pictureid=88102

I have a not-quite long dark hair (which I am writing Santa to make it BSL this Dec !) It is virgin hair to.. my chin but the length is dyed (chemically) to match the roots color (it used to be pixie red)

I do a CWC routine which works quite well (I use cones too). I'd love to use olive oil because it is great for braiding but I'm not sure how to remove it later and the times I have used Olive oil, afterwards, my hair is dry and crunchy :( (I think I leave it too much time?)
Any advice on that? How much time should oil be in the hair? how to remove it later? After I remove it, can I go back to my cones, right? :-O Too many questions!

Oh, and I definitely have to try that beer rinse!!
As for hair type, I'm thinking 1b.. or is it 1a? really, I don't see too much curly there except for the ends that are pointing left, but it was windy so .. not sure!!

jenwexler
November 11th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Welcome to the thread, sally neuf!!!!

I just uploaded A LOT of information/personal tips to my tumblr. I really hope you guys check it out and let me know what you think =] Since I'm a dark head, I'm sure the advice and stuff I have on there will be useful for you guys too. The link is in my signature. Sorry if it's a lot of info. The actual tumblr is set up to work from most recent to oldest post, so if you want to follow it form the begining, you'd have to go to the last page....which is the first page. Let me know what you think =]

luxepiggy
November 11th, 2010, 10:19 AM
The Dark Side . . . now with sparkle! (^(oo)~)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=88000

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=87979

jenwexler
November 11th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I love it! How'd you do that?

Vermelha
November 11th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Yep! I have dark hair, and I use castor oil to help keep its depth. Henna seems to help the color look richer.

luxepiggy
November 11th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I love it! How'd you do that?

It's hair tinsel! I found out about it from this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=58855

It looks even cooler IRL - everyone's been asking me about it! It's pretty subtle when you're just walking around, but then when the light hits a certain way - SPARKLE! :cheese:

jenwexler
November 11th, 2010, 10:34 AM
so cool!! =]

cmnt831
November 11th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Piggy, I love your hair tinsel! :D

I wanted to show the difference between using an acidic rinse and not using one. (Sorry, the first photo is a bit fuzzy - as is my hair - but I hope you get the idea). Hmm, maybe I should post this in the lemon rinse thread, too....

WITHOUT - less shiny and more fluffy:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4741&pictureid=87390

WITH - much more shiny:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4741&pictureid=88014

DiablitaNoir
November 11th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Yay for dark hair! I'm a proud raven lady...not natural, though. :p I've always wanted dark hair but my hair was naturally dirty blonde as a kid and I hated it. When I was in my mid 20s, I guess my hair darkened to a medium brown, judging by my roots. Since I've been coloring my hair from when I was 13, I haven't really seen much of my natural color for years, except when my roots come in.

luxepiggy
November 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Thank you cmnt831!! It's really fun! (^(oo)^)v

Great idea to show comparison shots! I'm due for another beer rinse soon, I'll try to remember to take before n' afters too.

Yay for dark hair! I'm a proud raven lady...not natural, though. :p I've always wanted dark hair but my hair was naturally dirty blonde as a kid and I hated it. When I was in my mid 20s, I guess my hair darkened to a medium brown, judging by my roots. Since I've been coloring my hair from when I was 13, I haven't really seen much of my natural color for years, except when my roots come in.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/6heo116.gif

Welcome to the dark side . . .

Care for some snacks, or perhaps a beverage? http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/smilies/ess50.gif

Avital88
November 11th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Luxepiggy(haha cute name) your hair look so soft!very beautiful.

I think i belong in this thread too but my hair tends to frizz very fast,but i thats volume too haha.

cmnt831
November 11th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Thank you cmnt831!! It's really fun! (^(oo)^)v

Great idea to show comparison shots! I'm due for another beer rinse soon, I'll try to remember to take before n' afters too.

Yes, please! I don't want to be the only one on this thread posting pictures. :p

lundmir
November 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Luxepiggy, that tinsel looks very cute and your hair is gorgeous!

DiablitaNoir
November 11th, 2010, 12:33 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/6heo116.gif

Welcome to the dark side . . .

Care for some snacks, or perhaps a beverage? http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/smilies/ess50.gif

Hmmm, now that you mention it, I'll take a margarita and some cookies! :p Love your piggies, BTW. Too cute!

jenwexler
November 11th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Luxepiggy(haha cute name) your hair look so soft!very beautiful.

I think i belong in this thread too but my hair tends to frizz very fast,but i thats volume too haha.

What's your hair routine?

marimara
November 11th, 2010, 03:35 PM
How did I miss this thread? I def. belong here. All the hair currently on my head is virgin, undyed, unhighlights, un-anything ;)

My hair, unlike some of the other darkies here, does not like cones. I do need to use a sulfate shampoo at least 2x a week to avoid buildup. The shine in my current pic came from Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner. I sometimes will use a cone conditioner and it makes my hair feel to flyaway.

My usual routine is V05 or Tressemme Shampoo and AO GPB (once a week), v05 conditioner and sometimes Tressemme cond. w/cones. I use David Babaii for WildAid once in a while, also has cones.

I really did like Giovanni and may go back to it. I had buildup while using it but I think that's because I went -sulfate free and didn't realize I needed to clarify :eek:

My hair likes protein 2x a week, cone free most of the time, and a sulfate wash at least 2x a week.

If you rinse in cool water it makes it shinier too. :D

luxepiggy
November 11th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hi, I'm joining in too since my hair is dark brown and med/light at the ends! I have very un-shiny hair and it has always been that way. I don't really fancy a vinegar rinse and lemon reacts badly with my scalp, so I guess i'm stuck in an un-shiny hair world....

Ducky! My animal partner in crime! <(*) Didn't see your post earlier (^(oo)^)v

Perhaps you can try a beer rinse! Or, if you use cones I can recommend some other options ;)

jenwexler
November 11th, 2010, 04:46 PM
How did I miss this thread? I def. belong here. All the hair currently on my head is virgin, undyed, unhighlights, un-anything ;)

My hair, unlike some of the other darkies here, does not like cones. I do need to use a sulfate shampoo at least 2x a week to avoid buildup. The shine in my current pic came from Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner. I sometimes will use a cone conditioner and it makes my hair feel to flyaway.

My usual routine is V05 or Tressemme Shampoo and AO GPB (once a week), v05 conditioner and sometimes Tressemme cond. w/cones. I use David Babaii for WildAid once in a while, also has cones.

I really did like Giovanni and may go back to it. I had buildup while using it but I think that's because I went -sulfate free and didn't realize I needed to clarify :eek:

My hair likes protein 2x a week, cone free most of the time, and a sulfate wash at least 2x a week.

If you rinse in cool water it makes it shinier too. :D

My hair hate cones too! It loves sulfate free cone free shampoos. I actually just posted something about that today on my tumblr [the link in my signature] It seems like our hair has something in common so maybe you'd like to try natures gate [red bottle]. It makes my hair so soft and it gives me no build up but definitely a good amount of shine.

xojennyxo
November 11th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I have dark auburn hair and I think my best tip for dark hair is avoiding alot of sun in the summer and using cold water after washing, makes it shiney :)

jenwexler
November 12th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I agree. My head is definitely covered from the sun lately. My issue though is that I am such a fish in the summer when a pool is around me. I don't like the hair caps because it makes me look dorky lol. I do hear how ever that if you wet your head first with normal water, hair will be too full to absorb chlorine water too. That's what I used to do to keep chlorine from messing up my dye when I used to dye my hair.

Gemma
November 12th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I am growing out my henna. It will take a LONG time but one day I will have all virgin hair again. My natural colour is mid to dark brown, sort of ashy looking in the sun. I will be stalking this thread for tips. :)

Raventresses
November 12th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I want to join too!

my roots are dark dark brown, but my length lightens up a bit to a med/dark reddish brown... i can't help but spend time in the sun in the summer! it's too cold here in the winter to not take full advantage of the nice days. :sun:

and how come i can't see the photos that you guys put in your posts?! :confused:

cmnt831
November 12th, 2010, 08:44 AM
and how come i can't see the photos that you guys put in your posts?! :confused:

I think most of us have posted from albums and you need at least 25 posts before you can view albums here. Just keep posting and you'll get there soon. :)

Night_Kitten
November 12th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I think I belong here too, I have medium brown hair (except for the more red hennaed part at the end :))

tinygirl
November 12th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Whenever I do SMT, my hair ends up SUPER shiny. Especially if I use this product called Dark 'n' Lovely Cholesterol Treatment as the conditioner, so lovely!

I think with dark hair, it is best to keep it out the sun - thankfully, where I am right now, it get dark at 4 o'clock in the afternoon!

jenwexler
November 12th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I am growing out my henna. It will take a LONG time but one day I will have all virgin hair again. My natural colour is mid to dark brown, sort of ashy looking in the sun. I will be stalking this thread for tips. :)

Definitely check out my tumblr then because I'm growing out some old dye too.

baaaad_kitty
November 12th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Ooh dark hair thread! I use BS and WV for my hair most days, and an organic cone, sulfate, etc etc free shampoo. I found out that proteins are not nice for my hair. It ends up brittle. Also, almond oil and coconut oil are great! My hair looks a lot shinier after oiling

Unofficial_Rose
November 12th, 2010, 10:53 AM
As a natural medium brunette with really rather a lot of henndigo on top, I think I qualify. My avatar is a bit crap, mainly because it is embarrassing to ask someone to photograph the back of my head more than once if you don't like the first photo.

My hair looks better with cones but they are horribly drying. It's much happier today with some Aubrey GPB and a little Beauticurls leave-in conditioner.

I was a highlighted blonde and I loved being blonde but I love being dark just as much now. It was quite a big adjustment (both psychologically and in terms of changing makeup and clothing colours to suit dark hair better). I don't get patronised as often as I did when I had the highlights, which is odd...

rachelily
November 12th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Here's a what NOT to do tip - I straightened my hair for years before embracing my curly hair and always knew about the heat damage to the actual hairs but never considered what it would do to my color. I put it up in a bun one day (which I never do) and realized that when the ends of my hair were next to my roots there was a significant color change I didn't notice when it was down - much lighter and redder and less radiant. Very sad. It makes me wonder if using a color-protection shampoo for dyed hair would help, even though it is my natural color I want to protect. Anyone know?

jenwexler
November 12th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Nature's gate color protector sulfate free cone free organic shampoo conquers all.

JulietCapulet
November 12th, 2010, 05:53 PM
http://imgur.com/DQ1wo.jpg (http://imgur.com/DQ1wo.jpg)http://imgur.com/3avO3.jpghttp://imgur.com/YfTCv.jpg
I don't really use anything for color, it's naturally black...I did have it dyed a year ago which I deeply regret...but other than that I just use natural shampoos and conditioners. :)

jenwexler
November 12th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Beautiful!!!!

Raventresses
November 12th, 2010, 06:41 PM
oh wow! beautiful hair!

tinygirl
November 12th, 2010, 07:00 PM
JulietCapulet, your hair colour is gorgeous. It's as dark as I want mine to be, but I'm too scared to take the plunge to dye it darker by means of - cassia, I believe?

JulietCapulet
November 12th, 2010, 07:34 PM
JulietCapulet, your hair colour is gorgeous. It's as dark as I want mine to be, but I'm too scared to take the plunge to dye it darker by means of - cassia, I believe?

Thank you! I guess you could try a dark brown? That would look lovely!

JulietCapulet
November 12th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Thank you for your generous comments that is very kind of you :-)

EbonyCurls
November 13th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Yay! I love dark hair! I describe my hair as "black, no cream" because it has the same color and depth of black coffee: Deep brown with a glow of dark auburn.

jenwexler
November 13th, 2010, 12:44 AM
So I'd like to vent to my fellow Dark Heads. My roommate invited me to a frat party and you can assume how brutal that is or how tough getting ready is when heat styling is not an option. I created the most beautiful braid twists in a half up do and wore a skirt, heels, thin cover up jacket, and a cami. Very unwise of me. I knew I was going on the bus, but I didn't realize how much extra walking there would be in my painful heels. My legs were freezing, my feet were aching, but I still had my hair protected by my knit cap. Threw out the night, I had dirt and jungle juice on my legs and my clothes. Walking back home was hard because it was even colder than before. My butt is still numb from the cold. Yes, I know I made bad choices in my clothing tonight. Point is, even with the cold, pressure to look good, and flying jungle juice, I still managed to protect my hair tonight. High five!!!! And it looks nice and shiny and black =]

Yozhik
November 13th, 2010, 03:05 AM
What's your hair routine?
My routine isn't all that spectacular -- I wash twice a week with a shampoo bar and cone free conditioner, and have recently been trying to follow with a cold water rinse and ACV (I wonder if both are necessary at the same time?). Following the shower, after my hair has sat in a turban for 5-15 minutes, I gently detangle and scrunch aloe + coconut oil on the ends and length. If my hair is very puffy after it dries, I loosely braid it without tying the ends and add more aloe + coconut oil (or just coconut oil) on the tassel. :)

[snip]I think with dark hair, it is best to keep it out the sun - thankfully, where I am right now, it get dark at 4 o'clock in the afternoon!

Ahh! I'm feeling this lack of sunlight, too, although in truth I'd appreciate it if it didn't get dark at 3 p.m. every day. :nono:

I guess on the positive side it's helping my hair. :shrug:

Yay! I love dark hair! I describe my hair as "black, no cream" because it has the same color and depth of black coffee: Deep brown with a glow of dark auburn.

I love this descriptor EbonyCurls -- especially because I adore coffee! :coffee: If you don't mind I'll use this, too. :)

LocustSpawning
November 13th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Dark hair has always been the most beautiful to me. I love nothing more than looong, black, straight and shiny hair. Perfect! Luxepiggy, yours especially comes to mind.

luxepiggy
November 13th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Dark hair has always been the most beautiful to me. I love nothing more than looong, black, straight and shiny hair. Perfect! Luxepiggy, yours especially comes to mind.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/3heo131.gif

Thank you . . . with all the gorgeous hair on LHC, that's a huge compliment! :cloud9:

ETA: OK! As promised, beer rinse before (left) and after (right). It's actually frustratingly difficult to adequately capture the difference on camera, but in person I note a significant reduction in flyaways and "fuzziness" leading to a sleeker, more uniform appearance. It's easiest to see in the photos if you look at the shiny/reflective portion of my hair. You can see in the photo on the left that the lighter portion looks like it's got some noise in the photo, whereas on the right side it's a smooth band of light. My hair also exhibits more bounce, and slightly increased volume after beer rinses (^(oo)^)v

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=88340

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I'm a brownie. :) (Or really, a dark chocolate with a hint of cherry!) I'm naturally a blonette, though.

My hair has always been shinier when it was darker v. when I used to color it blonde. I've been using henndigo to get a very dark brown (it looks reddish in my pic with the flash b/c of the henna).

I am thinking of switching over to Robert Craig because with hendigo, I have to do at least two and sometimes three hendigoings per root touch-up, which takes about two weeks' time since I have to see in between just how dark it's going to stay; hence, almost half of every month is spent smelling like hendigo, which I hate (Some people love it, so this is just preference), and with black stuff coming off under my nails and all over my fingers every time I touch my hair.

ETA: Holy run-on sentence, Batman! :p ^^

DiablitaNoir
November 13th, 2010, 03:56 PM
OK! As promised, beer rinse before (left) and after (right). It's actually frustratingly difficult to adequately capture the difference on camera, but in person I note a significant reduction in flyaways and "fuzziness" leading to a sleeker, more uniform appearance. It's easiest to see in the photos if you look at the shiny/reflective portion of my hair. You can see in the photo on the left that the lighter portion looks like it's got some noise in the photo, whereas on the right side it's a smooth band of light. My hair also exhibits more bounce, and slightly increased volume after beer rinses (^(oo)^)v

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=88340

Wow, maybe I oughtta try beer rinses! I've actually never tried one before. How often do you do beer rinses? I sure need it since I have a bad tendency toward flyaways.

lacefrost
November 13th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Yet another dark hair here! I don't really know how I'd describe my hair color. It's sort of a natural violet color. Basically black red. So in the summers, before I started hennaing my hair, I would get purplish looking highlights. Now my hair always looks a little purple and shines bright red in the light because of the henna. I'd actually like to figure out a way to show off the reddish/purplish color a bit more. I'm thinking of trying out that honey lightning technique.

luxepiggy
November 13th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Wow, maybe I oughtta try beer rinses! I've actually never tried one before. How often do you do beer rinses? I sure need it since I have a bad tendency toward flyaways.

About once a month or thereabouts - usually I wait until I've had people over and use the wounded soldiers the next day (^(oo)~)

Yet another dark hair here! I don't really know how I'd describe my hair color. It's sort of a natural violet color. Basically black red. So in the summers, before I started hennaing my hair, I would get purplish looking highlights. Now my hair always looks a little purple and shines bright red in the light because of the henna. I'd actually like to figure out a way to show off the reddish/purplish color a bit more. I'm thinking of trying out that honey lightning technique.

Oh my cousin's hair is like that - purplish highlights in the summer! It's so pretty! (^(oo)^)

Kristin
November 13th, 2010, 08:02 PM
My hair is naturally very dark, but I use henndigo these days (to cover the grays). Henndigo helps the shine, but coconut oil is fantastic, too. My hair has always been pretty shiny even though I used to use tons of cones and am now cone-free. Since quitting cones, my hair has become softer, though.

LisaMonster
November 13th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Dark hair checking innnnnn

My hair is dark brown with natural red highlights in the sun.

MNoelH
November 13th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Can I be here? Mine's not super dark, but I've considered myself a brunette since turning about 8 years old. I had NO hair until I was 2 - my mom taped pink bows to my scalp to stop the lookie lous from saying what a handsome boy she had. When my hair grew in, it was what we refer to as toe head... white, not blond,but white. It gradually got to where it is today.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/MNoelH/Hair/Hairwithchair.jpg?t=1289707866

Is it dark enough to be part of this thread?

getoffmyskittle
November 13th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Hi. I exist. My hair is dark. :shrug:

MNoelH, your hair is really lovely, but I'd not call it dark. :p I don't think anyone will stop you from being in the thread though. :)

Adora Belle
November 13th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I'm a dark hair too :) Right now I'm growing out henna, although I don't think the henna really had that much effect on my natural color, I have very dark brown hair with red highlights in the sun. Right now my routine is wash 2-3 times a week with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition shampoo and conditioner, I usually load up on coconut oil on my ends right before I wash. I usually end with an ACV rinse then I oil very lightly as needed. The shampoo has some cones, but the conditioner doesn't. Having tried cones and no cones, I can honestly say my hair doesn't really care either way its just shinier with some cones.

beez1717
November 13th, 2010, 10:06 PM
The only issue I have with having dark hair is that I can not change the color without bleaching it to lighten the color. If I had my way I would have light pink hair. I just love that anime style hair :)

But I can live with my dark hair I think...

WaimeaWahine
November 13th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Obviously I'm a dark girl. Swimming 3 or 4 days a week completely fried my hair and it was in the way and Suave poo stopped working for me. I'm currently rocking a medium bob and going through a ton of VO5 tea conditioner.

I want to put colorful things in my hair but it always ends up looking cheap on me. The color of my hair is jet black and seems to offer too much contrast.

jenwexler
November 13th, 2010, 11:14 PM
The only issue I have with having dark hair is that I can not change the color without bleaching it to lighten the color. If I had my way I would have light pink hair. I just love that anime style hair :)

I hear ya. I had pink in my hair and the dying over time really ruined my hair. If I was blond, having funky colors would have been a lot easier to maintain.

luxepiggy
November 13th, 2010, 11:19 PM

Pink hair tinsel (^(oo)^)v

Obviously I'm a dark girl. Swimming 3 or 4 days a week completely fried my hair and it was in the way and Suave poo stopped working for me. I'm currently rocking a medium bob and going through a ton of VO5 tea conditioner.

I want to put colorful things in my hair but it always ends up looking cheap on me. The color of my hair is jet black and seems to offer too much contrast.

Hair tinsel!

Can you tell I really love this stuff? (^(oo)^)

lundmir
November 14th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Hahaha, I have black and even that won't stop me from getting bright pink hair. Roots are a pain, tho.

DiablitaNoir
November 14th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Years ago, I used to bleach my hair platinum and I used to put funky colors in it, too. Not only are roots a pain in the butt, but so is keeping up with the streaks. However, now I'm thinking of growing my bangs a little bit, maybe to eye level, and sweeping them to the side and putting a little thin platinum streak in them for a little black/white contrast.

ooo
November 14th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I consider my hair dark. Right now it's in its natural colour. Maybe I'll go lighter soon.

x0h_bother
November 14th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Cones, oil, and cold water rinses are helpful. Like black laundry, I think darks do better with cold water :p

BeatlesFanGirl
November 14th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Another dark(chocolate) haired here. :)

jaine
November 14th, 2010, 07:47 AM
My hair gets mistaken for black sometimes, even though it's dark brown. I'm noticing a pattern... people who think it's black have very light hair, blonde or red.

I'm curious to hear from light-haired people about why that might be...is it that the difference isn't visible? Or it is visible but my color is another "shade" of black just like there are different shades of blue, green, pink, etc.

jenwexler
November 14th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I miss having jet black shiny hair [naturally not box dye]. When I was little it was unbelievably black.

Raventresses
November 14th, 2010, 10:06 AM
i feel like mine was also darker as a kid... pictures of me from 3-7 my hair was BLACK... then it lightened up a tiny bit. maybe from spending more time outside ever since around that age? i dont know.

GlennaGirl
November 14th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I'm looking at all the dark-hairs on this thread and I guess I'm not really in this category after all! I'm definitively a brunette, no questions, BUT I don't think it's super-dark brown.

I still like the thread, though. All the shiny dark hair, oooooooooooooo.

jenwexler
November 14th, 2010, 10:23 AM
My hair isn't black anymore. But if it does have to do with the sun, then it will be a lot darker growing in because I always cover it outside. My hair lightened up a lot I think when I was in the pool every day when I was little and especially when I hit puberty right before I gave myself highlights and ruined my hair.

x0h_bother
November 14th, 2010, 11:12 AM
My hair gets mistaken for black sometimes, even though it's dark brown. I'm noticing a pattern... people who think it's black have very light hair, blonde or red.

I'm curious to hear from light-haired people about why that might be...is it that the difference isn't visible? Or it is visible but my color is another "shade" of black just like there are different shades of blue, green, pink, etc.
This is my guess; differentiating what 'shade' of blonde is very hard to do. I admit it, I really don't know what to call differences althought I see them. Then you have brown, which ranges from light and mouse brown. Then some have black hair, which is truely a black. But I think our dark brown hair seems closer to the black than to the medium mouse browns. So maybe that's why. :rolleyes:

x0h_bother
November 14th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I'm looking at all the dark-hairs on this thread and I guess I'm not really in this category after all! I'm definitively a brunette, no questions, BUT I don't think it's super-dark brown.

I still like the thread, though. All the shiny dark hair, oooooooooooooo.
Glenna, is your natural hair brunette and dyed darker? Because I believe dyed hair is welcome :)

luxepiggy
November 14th, 2010, 11:19 AM
i feel like mine was also darker as a kid... pictures of me from 3-7 my hair was BLACK... then it lightened up a tiny bit. maybe from spending more time outside ever since around that age? i dont know.

My hair is significantly lighter now than it was when I was younger. For me, at least, it's not just sun bleaching - I've checked, and it grows in lighter at the roots than it did before. :confused:

jenwexler
November 14th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I miss my dark days. It's still dark of course, but in the sunlight my hair was still pitch black when I was younger.

Forever_Sophie
November 14th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Brunette checking in!

My hair is naturally black, a color I'm returning to after years of highlighting. I need it to look as thick as possible.

longhairtobe
November 14th, 2010, 12:58 PM
im been reading the last 15 pages of this thread and thought i should check in before it gets to big to read

i have black hair but the ends look like a dark brown to me. I think from the sun :-( and also because my ends are kinda split from heat damage but the roots are shiny and a black!

GlennaGirl
November 14th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Glenna, is your natural hair brunette and dyed darker? Because I believe dyed hair is welcome :)

Oh! Awesome! It's naturally sort of blonette...that sort of thing. More "ette" than "blon". Very light ashy brown. I color it. :)

Shicurls
November 15th, 2010, 10:02 AM
So, I've been debating hendigo for a couple of reasons. One, to cover my gorgeous silvers, and two, I want strong hair. Mainly, I want the strong hair because I love the natural highlights of red and blonde and silver in my dark brown hair.

Anyone else conflicted with this? Have any opinions on it?

Dyefree
November 15th, 2010, 10:32 AM
My hair is significantly lighter now than it was when I was younger. For me, at least, it's not just sun bleaching - I've checked, and it grows in lighter at the roots than it did before. :confused:

Hmmm odd, my hair was much more of a brown when I was younger, but my roots are definitely coming through as a black colour..... Yikes, hope it's not jet black.... I'm not sure how that would look with my ivory white skin! :confused: I don't have that gorgeouslight eye colour thing going on, my eyes are a warm dark brown....

Yozhik
November 15th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Hmmm odd, my hair was much more of a brown when I was younger, but my roots are definitely coming through as a black colour..... Yikes, hope it's not jet black.... I'm not sure how that would look with my ivory white skin! :confused: I don't have that gorgeouslight eye colour thing going on, my eyes are a warm dark brown....

I wouldn't be too worried until your hair has grown out a bit more -- from what I hear, roots can look a lot darker because they're shorter and they're contrasting against the significantly different color of your dyed hair. When hair gets longer not only do you have a more representative idea of what color it is, but also it gets beautiful natural highlights and lowlights. :inlove:

Personally, though, I :crush: dark hair with really pale skin.

chelles2kids
November 15th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Dark brown/auburn here. When I'm in the sun or under bright lights I seem to have quite a bit of red in my hair.

Waves to the other dark-haired folks!:waving:

Aveyronnaise
November 17th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Hi , another ravenette checking in. My hair is a soft black with my ends getting dark red from the sun. My husband describes it as black like a tiger stripe.
It was cool to read this thread and learn about the rosemary and cold washes .

jenwexler
November 17th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Hey guys I'm going home soon! Which means I have access to whole foods, wegmans, gnc, a spiritual shop, malls, and anywhere else I can get awesome hair stuff =] I can even get hair toys at one of the booths in the mall ^_^ Any ideas what I can buy to really bring out my dark hair? And possibly add shine?

luxepiggy
November 17th, 2010, 04:58 AM
So, I've been debating hendigo for a couple of reasons. One, to cover my gorgeous silvers, and two, I want strong hair. Mainly, I want the strong hair because I love the natural highlights of red and blonde and silver in my dark brown hair.

Anyone else conflicted with this? Have any opinions on it?

What's the difference in benefits between hendigo and just plain henna? Is it just a difference in colour?

kdaniels8811
November 17th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Hello, another dark hair here. My hair was a beautiful dark auburn until it all fell out from chemo. Now it is coming back very dark brown, almost black. When it grows out enough, I will hendigo again, I love the conditioning and especially the color I got from it.

Hendigo is a 50/50 mix of henna and indigo and pushes the color toward a brownish red instead of flaming red. See my album with my previous hair for examples. Too short now for photos.

jenwexler
November 18th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Will Hendigo cover my grays when I'm older??

Shicurls
November 19th, 2010, 12:16 PM
From what I hear, hendigo does cover grays. I think it depends upon how well your hair takes color.

jenwexler
November 21st, 2010, 09:51 AM
It definitely takes color.

SlightlySoprano
November 21st, 2010, 10:07 AM
Hi. I exist. My hair is dark. :shrug:

My hair is about the same color as yours getoffmyskittle :). Right now it's hennaed so it has a reddish hue but definitely is still dark.

Unofficial_Rose
November 21st, 2010, 10:32 AM
Will Hendigo cover my grays when I'm older??

Most assuredly. :) And it's great for the condition.

NB: My avatar was taken in bright sunlight - my hair is a dark reddish-brown.

jaine
November 21st, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hey guys I'm going home soon! Which means I have access to whole foods, wegmans, gnc, a spiritual shop, malls, and anywhere else I can get awesome hair stuff =] I can even get hair toys at one of the booths in the mall ^_^ Any ideas what I can buy to really bring out my dark hair? And possibly add shine?

My go-to routine for awesome shine is shampoo, then John Masters lavender & avocado intensive conditioner (which is actually very light in my hair considering the name; I could use it for CO-washing if it weren't so expensive), then combing some gel through it and letting it dry hard so all the hairs are going in the same direction...when I comb out the crunch after it dries, it's really shiny. They have this conditioner at whole foods... although it's $20 which makes it an occasional treat for me instead of an everyday thing. I don't know if it's a dark hair thing but my hair really loves that conditioner.

catspank
November 21st, 2010, 11:30 AM
Another dark hair here :waving:

Wow there are some gorgeous dark-hairs here! Hopefully I can learn something from all of you, I could use a little radiance :)

Debra83
November 21st, 2010, 02:31 PM
When I use Garnier Fructis triple nutrition conditioner (cone free) as a leave in, I get nice and shiny and healthy looking. I've been using it for about 3 (?) months now? (since I started a thread about it awhile back with the extreme difference!).

beez1717
November 21st, 2010, 05:14 PM
so what would happen if I decoded to dye just my length pink after using bleach and then just let it grow and grow and grow? I mean make it so it fades to black or something? What would the health of my hair be then?

jenwexler
November 21st, 2010, 09:40 PM
Your ends would be a lot more damaged than the roots. I had pink peekaboos too. The hair that was bleached is now dyed back to black but it will never feel the same =[ Then again, when I had pink in my hair it was so much fun! I loved having colors in my hair in contrast to the black. Since it was underneath, it was easy for the hair to grow out without being noticed as much. I suggest if you do this just use a sulfate free shampoo to make it last longer and to keep it as healthy as it can be in a bleached state.

lundmir
November 21st, 2010, 09:57 PM
so what would happen if I decoded to dye just my length pink after using bleach and then just let it grow and grow and grow? I mean make it so it fades to black or something? What would the health of my hair be then?

I have the opposite! Black ends and pink/red on top. As long as I protect my hair before bleaching with coconut oil and otherwise baby it, it feels just like my virgin hair. But it IS extremely resilient, I don't have fragile hair at all.

luxepiggy
November 22nd, 2010, 12:25 AM

What does "decoded" mean in this context? Sorry, I know nothing about colouring hair.

jaine
November 22nd, 2010, 03:05 AM
What does "decoded" mean in this context? Sorry, I know nothing about colouring hair.

Beez probably meant to type "decided"

luxepiggy
November 22nd, 2010, 04:20 AM
^Whoops! I've learned so many new terms since joining LHC, I figured that was just another one (^(oo)^)v

hairyfairy
November 22nd, 2010, 04:30 AM
I have dark hair.

leslissocool
November 22nd, 2010, 04:33 AM
I belong here! I recently hennaed :cheer: and my hair is loving it! can't wait until next one!

HintOfMint
November 23rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
So I'd like to vent to my fellow Dark Heads. My roommate invited me to a frat party and you can assume how brutal that is or how tough getting ready is when heat styling is not an option. I created the most beautiful braid twists in a half up do and wore a skirt, heels, thin cover up jacket, and a cami. Very unwise of me. I knew I was going on the bus, but I didn't realize how much extra walking there would be in my painful heels. My legs were freezing, my feet were aching, but I still had my hair protected by my knit cap. Threw out the night, I had dirt and jungle juice on my legs and my clothes. Walking back home was hard because it was even colder than before. My butt is still numb from the cold. Yes, I know I made bad choices in my clothing tonight. Point is, even with the cold, pressure to look good, and flying jungle juice, I still managed to protect my hair tonight. High five!!!! And it looks nice and shiny and black =]

High five on protecting your hair! Haha, oh boy do I remember those nights at frat parties... the jungle juice, the boys in polos and baseball hats, the filthy bathrooms... You'll look back and laugh and think "I felt the pressure to look good for THEM????"

DARKMARTIAN
November 23rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
I have dark hair.

lol, Me too

luxepiggy
November 23rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
High five on protecting your hair! Haha, oh boy do I remember those nights at frat parties... the jungle juice, the boys in polos and baseball hats, the filthy bathrooms... You'll look back and laugh and think "I felt the pressure to look good for THEM????"

This makes me grateful I went to university in Manhattan, although I must say winters there were brutal on my hair (>(oo)<)

jenwexler
November 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
Knit caps really protect my hair in the winter...although it's been warm this entire week. Climate Change maybe?????? lol

DiablitaNoir
November 24th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I live in Florida so while I don't exactly have the problem of brutal winters, I have humidity to contend with, which really messes up my hair. If I go outside for a few minutes, I end up looking like Otto from The Simpsons! :p

jenwexler
November 24th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Ahh I remember the frizzy days. Since I became cone and sulfate free my hair behaves a lot more for me.

mira-chan
November 24th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Dark hair here too. As for frizz, my hair tends to do it all the time to some extent. I've been just wearing scarves over it when outside since October. That fixed the whole issue and it looks darker due to less sun exposure. :D

Ludde
November 25th, 2010, 05:27 AM

Very, very nice!

DiablitaNoir
November 25th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Ahh I remember the frizzy days. Since I became cone and sulfate free my hair behaves a lot more for me.

I'm definitely sulfate-free but not exactly cone-free. Maybe that ought to be next on my agenda for frizz-free hair!

Mira-chan: Scarves are definitely a good idea. I don't go out in the sun so when I go out in the daytime I carry an umbrella to keep the harmful rays off of me and I pull my hair into a bun to keep the humidity at least somewhat at bay. ;)

luxepiggy
November 25th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I'm definitely sulfate-free but not exactly cone-free. Maybe that ought to be next on my agenda for frizz-free hair!

Mira-chan: Scarves are definitely a good idea. I don't go out in the sun so when I go out in the daytime I carry an umbrella to keep the harmful rays off of me and I pull my hair into a bun to keep the humidity at least somewhat at bay. ;)

It's funny how differently everyone's hair reacts to things - when I tried going cone-free, my hair went *poof* - I didn't even know straight Asian hair could get frizzy! Now I know (^(oo)^)v

DiablitaNoir
November 25th, 2010, 05:55 AM
It's funny how differently everyone's hair reacts to things - when I tried going cone-free, my hair went *poof* - I didn't even know straight Asian hair could get frizzy! Now I know (^(oo)^)v

Wow, I didn't know that either...interesting! :) I'm not really sure if cones are *my* problem or if I just need to wash and condition more often or something. I'll try just about anything to combat the frizz.

mira-chan
November 25th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I can't use sulfates at all, thus tend to avoid cones. Too much of some cones makes my hair feel odd and dimethicone makes me itch. Joys of skin sensitivities. :rolleyes:

My individual hairs are shiny but as not of them like to line up evenly, even in those curl strings, it's hardly seen on pictures.

For frizz and shine I tend to use a lot of oil on my hair. I can put 3 generous palm fulls of coconut oil in it and it won't be visible other than in my hair behaving better.

Unofficial_Rose
November 25th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I removed a little henndigo because I needed to feel different, and just did henna instead of henndigo for last two root touchups.

Meh. I'm so breaking out the indigo and buxus tomorrow. I miss the dramatic dark hair. :)

jaine
November 26th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Do you guys think my hair is dark brown or black?

(Try to ignore the reddish brown tips on some of my layers ...those are highlights that I got about a year ago. The darker hair is mine.)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5210665264_4db1b700eb.jpg

My dad told me today "it looks like it's been dyed black even though I know it's brown" - but ironically he was referring to my uncolored hair. This is the 4th person in the last month who voted black, so now I wonder if they're right...

luxepiggy
November 26th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Looks brown to me (^(oo)^)

Florida Mom
November 26th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Hi,
I have dark brown hair, so guess I belong here too! :)

Jaine - Looks dark brown, alot like mine. My own blonde DH called my hair black... I guess it's pretty close though.

Bibliophile
November 26th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Dark hair for me too! I love it. I tried to henna it into a dark auburn last summer, and it's still a big reddish in the sun, and I find I miss the plain 'old darkness without the read. So I might try some henna with indigo soon!

I recently (like a week ago) went of all 'cones, and I think it's helping.

Rabya-Khadija
November 26th, 2010, 09:39 PM
indianrapunzels makes me love my dark hair, their hair is so amazing... really inspirational! :o

littlestarface
November 26th, 2010, 09:41 PM
indianrapunzels makes me love my dark hair, their hair is so amazing... really inspirational! :o
Me too I love looking at their beautiful hair masha'Allah :)

Rabya-Khadija
November 27th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Me too I love looking at their beautiful hair masha'Allah :)

Yeaah, it's as thick as both my arms on some of them.. haha :heartbeat

DuckyDot
November 27th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Care for some food anyone? :yumm: I have :pizza: !!! And :cake: !!

A :toast: toast to dark hair!! <(*)

DARKMARTIAN
November 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/headbanger.gifhttp://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/pizza_smilie.gif http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/rocker.gif http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/metal-smiley.gif

Dreamkitty
November 27th, 2010, 01:39 PM
:) I have dark hair, which has brown high lights under the sun. Im doing the honey treatment to make my hair go dark brown.

littlestarface
November 27th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Yeaah, it's as thick as both my arms on some of them.. haha :heartbeat
:lol: I know! I wish I could have thick hair like them.

leslissocool
November 27th, 2010, 05:57 PM
:) I have dark hair, which has brown high lights under the sun. Im doing the honey treatment to make my hair go dark brown.

that's where I'm at too... I'm lifting the black hair dye (somehow, it's really not much) and doing honey lightening. I'm going for a dark purple with henna :cool: I just think it looks awesome... hopefully it looks good with my skin tone, since I still want it really dark... If not, I'll break out the indigo!

luxepiggy
November 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM

Hi Ducky! (^(oo)^)/"

Piggy has some donuts to share: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/smilies/donut1.gif

that's where I'm at too... I'm lifting the black hair dye (somehow, it's really not much) and doing honey lightening. I'm going for a dark purple with henna I just think it looks awesome... hopefully it looks good with my skin tone, since I still want it really dark... If not, I'll break out the indigo!
Dark purple hair sounds so cool (^(oo)^)

jenwexler
November 27th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I officially bought my first tub of coconut oil!!!

MajorasMask
November 27th, 2010, 11:15 PM

What are cones exactly? I looked at the sticky thread on it and still dont really understand! Are they good or bad?

luxepiggy
November 28th, 2010, 04:20 AM
What are cones exactly? I looked at the sticky thread on it and still dont really understand! Are they good or bad?

Cones = silicones. They're not inherently good or bad - it's totally dependent on the individual person's hair.

Some hair, like mine, loves cones. All of my products have cones in them; I tried going cone free and it made my hair dull, tangle-prone and full of flyaways. Other people find that cones don't work for them. Cones may alter their curl pattern in an undesirable way, or give them buildup issues. They choose to use cone free products instead.

Pifkin
November 28th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I <3 dark hair!

I'm a medium brunette naturally, and have experimented with henna and indigo to get a dark auburn which I love. I temporarily dyed my hair black a few weeks ago and I really liked that too, but I don't think it looks right with my skin tone. I've always envied people who look good with black hair.

My hair is much shinier (and healthier) since stopping cones, cutting back on sulfates, and using a little coconut oil every day.

Pifkin
November 28th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I officially bought my first tub of coconut oil!!!
Woot! Coconut oil saved my hair. Good luck with it! :)

jaine
November 28th, 2010, 09:49 AM

I don't like silicone because it makes it difficult to tell what my hair needs. It's like each strand is coated in plastic so I can't tell if my hair is dry underneath that.
Without cones it's much more obvious what state my hair is in so I can do what it needs...I can see when it's dry and give it more oil or less frequent shampooing...and after a few months of giving my hair what it needs, it almost never looks dry or unhealthy now unless I shampoo it too often.

Dreamkitty
November 28th, 2010, 10:02 AM
that's where I'm at too... I'm lifting the black hair dye (somehow, it's really not much) and doing honey lightening. I'm going for a dark purple with henna :cool: I just think it looks awesome... hopefully it looks good with my skin tone, since I still want it really dark... If not, I'll break out the indigo!

Interesting!. I have naturally black/brown hair so im trying to brighten up the brown highlights. I guess yours is a little different since you are trying to lighten the dye. What is your natural hair colour?

I think dark purple sounds beautiful, I love dark hair that looks black/purplish!:) Good luck with that, keep us updated. Honey has lightened my hair, hope it works out for you.

Anisaa
November 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I am part of the club!!! I have naturally black hair, and I noticed that after a deep olive oil conditioning my hair is super shiny!!!! also ACV makes hair very shiny <3

Shicurls
November 28th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Hi Anisaa! :waving: Welcome to the DARK SIDE!

I too love olive oil and ACV Rinses! I pretty much love any and all oils and butters in my hair!

jujube
November 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I'm having a good hair day for the first time in a very long time, thanks to an olive oil / aloe gel pre-wash deep conditioning.

Shicurls
November 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Ooo, aloe and Olive Oil? That sounds fabulously moisturizing!

jenwexler
November 29th, 2010, 09:32 AM
my hair smells all coconuty!

luxepiggy
November 29th, 2010, 10:08 AM
my hair smells all coconuty!

Is that good or bad? I'm trying to decide right now whether to buy the refined or unrefined myself (^(oo)^)v

Crackaleen
November 29th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I think I might fit in here. My hair is a dark brown color. I've secretly always wanted jet black hair, but I've learned to love my natural color over the years.

And I agree, coconut oil is great stuff. This reminds me, I need to go buy another jar since I've just killed off my first one. I'm also a big fan of jojoba oil - I put that on my ends just about every day and save the coconut oil for heavy conditioning treatments. I've never tried olive oil, I've always been afraid it would being too heavy. I might have to give it a shot one of these days.

luxepiggy
November 29th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I think I might fit in here. My hair is a dark brown color. I've secretly always wanted jet black hair, but I've learned to love my natural color over the years.

And I agree, coconut oil is great stuff. This reminds me, I need to go buy another jar since I've just killed off my first one. I'm also a big fan of jojoba oil - I put that on my ends just about every day and save the coconut oil for heavy conditioning treatments. I've never tried olive oil, I've always been afraid it would being too heavy. I might have to give it a shot one of these days.

Welcome to the Dark Side (^(oo)~)

Care for a snack? :cookie::drama::gobblecheese:http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/smilies/donut1.gif

jenwexler
November 29th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Smelling like coconut is a good thing to me =] I love coconut. I couldn't find jojoba oil when I was home. Maybe I can find it in Puerto Rico?

MAO
November 29th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Any of you have hair that looks oily when it's shiny, even though its not? I have this odd thing that happens on the underside of my hair. Its extremely healthy, smooth, and shiny, but tends to look oily and hangs together in strings (I'm a wurly!) I only notice it when I keep my hair on the darker side.

PrincessBob
November 29th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Do I belong in this thread? I think of myself as a brunette, but don't have the nigh-black shades of my parents' hair. Here are various pictures. I think my hair has been gradually lightening over the last couple of years
Indoor Fluorescent lighting :
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Princess_Bob/NewComb.jpg
Outdoor Natural sunlight :
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Princess_Bob/meetuphair03.jpg
Indoor Incandescent lighting :
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Princess_Bob/sidebraid.jpg
With flash indoors :
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Princess_Bob/CindiandKeith.png

Same hair undyed 5 years ago:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Princess_Bob/Veil.jpg

Same hair undyed 3 years ago:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Princess_Bob/VoxandStuff746.jpg

mira-chan
November 29th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Any of you have hair that looks oily when it's shiny, even though its not? I have this odd thing that happens on the underside of my hair. Its extremely healthy, smooth, and shiny, but tends to look oily and hangs together in strings (I'm a wurly!) I only notice it when I keep my hair on the darker side.
I have the opposite issue. My hairs are anti social and don't cling together in strings. Even when very oiled it doesn't look like it, but it also doesn't form waves or wurls well. You have fine hair, I think it tends to do the smooth clumping more than the coarser hair types.

Crackaleen
November 29th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Smelling like coconut is a good thing to me =] I love coconut. I couldn't find jojoba oil when I was home. Maybe I can find it in Puerto Rico?

I like the smell of coconut oil, but I know some people don't. My husband unfortunately hates the smell, but luckily I find it quite amusing to chase him around the house after oiling my hair. ^.^ I haven't had too much luck finding jojoba oil in stores (even the health food kind). I buy it online.

Kome
November 29th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I've been using henna over mine and it's turning this very pretty burgundy color. I'm LOVING it. I have medium brown hair and it turns out really nicely.

I don't really do anything special. Mostly I just try and keep the frizz and poofyness down, which I seem to have finally figured out how to do. :P

luxepiggy
November 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM

You're more likely to find jojoba in a health/nutrition type store (think GNC, The Vitamin Shoppe, etc.) than in a natural foods store like Whole Foods, IPHO (^(oo)^)v

jenwexler
November 29th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Do you like jojoba or coconut oil better?

hypersensitive
November 29th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the Dark Side (^(oo)~)

Care for a snack? :cookie::drama::gobblecheese:http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/smilies/donut1.gif

Don't mind if I do *takes the cookie*

:) Can I join? I have dark dark brown, practically black asian hair. But sometimes I hate how the tips are so lighter than the scalp hair. Still, the dark side rocks!

luxepiggy
November 29th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I've been using henna over mine and it's turning this very pretty burgundy color. I'm LOVING it. I have medium brown hair and it turns out really nicely.

I don't really do anything special. Mostly I just try and keep the frizz and poofyness down, which I seem to have finally figured out how to do. :P

AHHHH burgundy?? Now I want to do henna too! (^(oo)^)

Don't mind if I do *takes the cookie*

:) Can I join? I have dark dark brown, practically black asian hair. But sometimes I hate how the tips are so lighter than the scalp hair. Still, the dark side rocks!

Welcome! I know how you feel about light ends! My hair does the exact same thing (^(oo)~)

Quixotica
November 29th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Another Dark Hair here! Dark brown naturally, chemically dyed dark raven black for about 2 years and I LOVE IT!! :demon:

excentricat
November 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM
My Whole Foods had jojoba oil, but I had to ask someone to help me find it. And then I found out that my hair likes coconut a lot better, and its cheaper. Bah. At least I can use it on my skin.

Crackaleen
November 29th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Do you like jojoba or coconut oil better?

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I'll answer anyway. :) I wouldn't say I prefer one over the other, but I use them for different things. Jojoba is much lighter than coconut oil. So as I mentioned, I use it daily to oil my ends and to tame frizzies. I use coconut oil less often, usually as a deep conditioner. Roughly once a month I'll slather large amounts of it on from roots to ends and then bun my hair for several hours so it can soak in before washing it out. My hair is always really shiny and soft afterward.

cmnt831
November 30th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Very, very nice!

Thanks, Ludde! :flowers:

luxepiggy
December 3rd, 2010, 02:32 AM
So a friend of mine has recommended Ojon Shine & Protect spray, which is supposed to help prevent fading from UV rays. Ordering it online today - I'll let everyone know how it goes once I receive it!

cmnt831
December 3rd, 2010, 06:40 AM
Please do, Piggy. I always wondered if there was some benefit to using UV protection on the hair. (Not wanting to slather my hair with regular sunscreen, either). :p

jenwexler
December 3rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
My peekaboo damage is really starting to irritate me, especially because it's so cold out. it's my length so I definitely won't cut it, and the ends aren't split, but it still feel very dry. I use both coconut and jojoba oil on it now and keep the hair protected with a kit cap, but it still ends p dry by the end of the day. any recommendations?

cmnt831
December 3rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Are you oiling it everyday and concentrating on the super dry parts? Maybe you can try SMT or something similar and do it more often. Maybe you can try a heavier oil? I like shea butter a lot. :)

jenwexler
December 3rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
I oil it every day. What is SMT?

cmnt831
December 3rd, 2010, 01:12 PM
It's some kind of moisture treatment that gets mentioned here a lot. I've never tried it myself, but it seems to do the trick for a lot of people from what I've read. Here's the thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Also, have you tried clarifying? You might try that and then SMT to see if that helps.

luxepiggy
December 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
My peekaboo damage is really starting to irritate me, especially because it's so cold out. it's my length so I definitely won't cut it, and the ends aren't split, but it still feel very dry. I use both coconut and jojoba oil on it now and keep the hair protected with a kit cap, but it still ends p dry by the end of the day. any recommendations?

Do keep in mind that oils do NOT moisturize! Much like silicones, they help form a barrier between your hair and the environment, thus reducing moisture loss or absorption vis-&#224;-vis the surrounding air. If you currently apply your oils to your hair when it is dry, I suggest applying them to slightly damp hair instead.

It's some kind of moisture treatment that gets mentioned here a lot. I've never tried it myself, but it seems to do the trick for a lot of people from what I've read. Here's the thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Also, have you tried clarifying? You might try that and then SMT to see if that helps.

I'm a big fan of SMT!!

jenwexler
December 3rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
Wow I think I've done something similar to MST before. I haven't deep conditioned since before Thanksgiving Break so I'm sure that should help a lot.

Pifkin
December 4th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I second what luxepiggy said. Oiling my hair when it's damp is definitely more effective (for me) than oiling my hair when it's dry. It's much easier to over-oil when oiling damp hair though, so start off only using a tiny bit.

Sammich
December 4th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I have naturally dark hair, so hi there chicks and dudes! :D *Wave*

Oh... and I also dye it. ;) Woops.
Though I do prefer the brunette on me, I tend to dye bits of it with other colours. :)

jenwexler
December 4th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Welcome!!!! Do you have any desserts to share? I make mini cheese cakes =]

jenwexler
December 4th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I just tried SMT. Last night I used clear aloe vera gel, nature's gate conditioner, and honey. I microwaved it for 20 seconds, applied it to my head, and wrapped it tight in a plastic bag. When it felt like it was cooling a bit, I quickly blow dried while it was still wrapped. That's the only time I use a blow dryer. I put my satin bonnet over the bag and slept in it. Today, I showered and rinsed it out. My hair is still wet but feels so soft. I put alittle coconut oil and jojoba oil in my hands, mixed them together, and applied it to my ends. I also used a do grow oil and 4&#37; monistat then I claw clipped my hair up to dry.

luxepiggy
December 4th, 2010, 02:06 PM
My coconut oil arrived today - woo! (^(oo)^)v

DiablitaNoir
December 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I screwed up! I just did a coconut oil treatment this morning. I slathered the stuff on my hair and left it on for a couple of hours. Well...methinks I glopped on too much of it because even after two shampoos my hair is still a greasy mess. It looks like I haven't washed my hair in a month! I guess tomorrow will entail more shampooing to wash out the rest of the grease. Ew. :shake:

Demetrue
December 4th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I find conditioner gets coconut oil out better than shampoo.

DiablitaNoir
December 4th, 2010, 06:22 PM

Really? Wow, I would have never thought of that...I'll definitely try it. Thanks!

Pifkin
December 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Really? Wow, I would have never thought of that...I'll definitely try it. Thanks!
Try putting the conditioner on your hair while it's dry, leave it in for a while, then hop in the shower and rinse out. It works a lot better for me. :)

luxepiggy
December 4th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Try putting the conditioner on your hair while it's dry, leave it in for a while, then hop in the shower and rinse out. It works a lot better for me. :)

Yup, I just did my first application of coconut oil today, followed by a CO wash a few hours later, and my hair seems to be loving it so far :happydance: No greasies even though my hair was definitely doing the greasy-oily-clumps business after I applied the oil.

thatjengirl1
December 4th, 2010, 07:27 PM
My hair is natually medium-darkish brown.

I'm going to be trying henna when i get my next paycheck cuz i like my hair with auburn in it :D

For me, olive oil as a pre-wash treatment, coconut oil as my leave in conditioner, and a little honey in my regular conditioner, makes my hair the shiniest.

DiablitaNoir
December 5th, 2010, 05:55 AM

Yep, that's exactly what I did. The only thing I can think is that I must have glopped on too much coconut oil, yikes! :eek:

luxepiggy
December 5th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Yep, that's exactly what I did. The only thing I can think is that I must have glopped on too much coconut oil, yikes! :eek:

Or maybe you didn't glop on enough condish? I've noticed that I go through conditioner at an alarming rate now that I CO wash

jenwexler
December 5th, 2010, 08:43 AM
My coconut oil hasn't made my hair clumpy. I just rub it between my hands until it turns shiny and smooth.

luxepiggy
December 5th, 2010, 09:38 AM
My coconut oil hasn't made my hair clumpy. I just rub it between my hands until it turns shiny and smooth.

Everything makes my hair clumpy - 'tis the nature of my thin, stick straight hair. Sometimes existence makes it clumpy (^(oo)~)

jenwexler
December 5th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Awe =[ I've always had really thick hair. Must be the Puerto Rican genes.

DiablitaNoir
December 5th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Or maybe you didn't glop on enough condish? I've noticed that I go through conditioner at an alarming rate now that I CO wash

Could be. But as greasy as my hair still is right now, it looks like I'm going to be running out of conditioner during today's shower!

jenwexler
December 5th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Stupid me didn't tuck my ends in my knit cap when I was outside for ten minutes. Ends feel a tad dry. Tucking hair into a hat really does make a difference.

DiablitaNoir
December 5th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Wow, you guys were right! When I took my shower today, I really slathered on the conditioner and now the coconut oil greasies are finally starting to subside. Thanks! :cheese:

luxepiggy
December 6th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Wow, you guys were right! When I took my shower today, I really slathered on the conditioner and now the coconut oil greasies are finally starting to subside. Thanks! :cheese:

Hooray! Welcome to the "how-am-I-out-of-conditioner-AGAIN?!?" club (^(oo)~)

luxepiggy
December 6th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Stupid me didn't tuck my ends in my knit cap when I was outside for ten minutes. Ends feel a tad dry. Tucking hair into a hat really does make a difference.

Very true! When I lived in NYC, I always wore my outerwear over my hair, and I think it made a big difference - plus, it helped keep my ears warm (^(oo)^)

mira-chan
December 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Very true! When I lived in NYC, I always wore my outerwear over my hair, and I think it made a big difference - plus, it helped keep my ears warm (^(oo)^)
Definitely a good thing to do, especially in a cold winter climate. I've taken to wearing a scarf over my hair whenever outside. It definitely made a huge difference in the dryness.

hypersensitive
December 6th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hooray! Welcome to the "how-am-I-out-of-conditioner-AGAIN?!?" club (^(oo)~)

Haha! I think we have to buy one shampoo to every 2 or 3 bottles of conditioner!