PDA

View Full Version : Curly/wavy hair- Does the growth seem very slow?

Dreamkitty
November 9th, 2010, 05:33 AM
It feels like it takes me a long time to reach my goal length. For instance when my hair is dry its midway between APL & BSL. Its 24inches. But when I stretch my hair out and measure its hitting BSL and is2 6 inches long. That is 2inches of length being added on when my hair is straight, it alsolooks visually longer too. Alot of difference to me. But the problem is that I am not going to straighten my hair so what is the point of taking measurements when my hair stretched out. For the most of my life, my hair is going to be in my natural state- wavy and slightly curly, so it seems more sensible to measure my natural hair state.

So it does feel like a very long time for me to reach my goal length. If I had straight hair, it would feel like my hair is growing fast and reaching the next level in a short space of time. But because my hair is wavy it feels like I have to wait long.:(

Does anyone else with wavy or curly hair feel the same way as I do?

bunzfan
November 9th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Yes i understand where your coming from, when wet my hair is past BSL but dry it is just BSL i get so frustrated with it i wear it up constantly so i don't have to look at it lol You could try doing the same:)

Armelle
November 9th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Yep!!!
It's similar to the time it takes to travel a straight road and one that curves through the mountains. :D My hair doesn't grow straight down...it takes it's time meandering side to side for a while. Plus...my hair is thick...there's alot for my scalp to push out at any given time. When my hair is pulled straight, it reaches just past my full hip. When left alone, it's just past waist level. Frustrating? Yeah...a bit. /sarcasm

Dreamkitty
November 9th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Bunzfan- Your the same length as me! hehe. I have never worn my hair up, will try that. It will take my mind of being frustrated about the length of my hair.:)

Armelle- I love the way you describe wavy hair as curves through the mountain. A great description of how it feels, I just wish my hair would grow straight down, down, down:D

bunzfan
November 9th, 2010, 06:23 AM
[quote=Dreamkitty;1331892]Bunzfan- Your the same length as me! hehe. I have never worn my hair up, will try that. It will take my mind of being frustrated about the length of my hair.:)

Another great reason for wearing it up, is it protects your ends from further damage i believe this is true as my last proper haircut was in June 2010 and i don't have one split end :D

Practice some of the great updo's and braids in the article section. Since i joined i have brought some hair sticks and forks and can now do the lazy wrap,nautilus bun,the Celtic Knot and i oil my ends while my hair is up. When you do eventually wear your hair down it feels really long.

Dreamkitty
November 9th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I always thought that I would have to reach waist length hair to do updo's as I felt my hair wasn't long enough. But lots of people my length are doing updos and they look great so it makes me want to try. I am so bad at styling my own hair though, even when I plait my hair its not perfect.:) But I will try it, I think its a good way to protect hair from having split ends. I leave my hair in a plait but the ends are starting to get dry, Ive noticed that women who wear regular buns also have thicker hair, especially Indian women who keep their long hair in a bun.

bunzfan
November 9th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I always thought that I would have to reach waist length hair to do updo's as I felt my hair wasn't long enough. But lots of people my length are doing updos and they look great so it makes me want to try. I am so bad at styling my own hair though, even when I plait my hair its not perfect.:) But I will try it, I think its a good way to protect hair from having split ends. I leave my hair in a plait but the ends are starting to get dry, Ive noticed that women who wear regular buns also have thicker hair, especially Indian women who keep their long hair in a bun.

I guess i am quite lucky as i have always been good at doing different things with hair, as a child i taught myself to do a French braid and once i left school i went into hairdressing:)

When you go to bed if you do a night time braid try putting oil on your ends i have noticed this makes a big improvement. Just yesterday i saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrJYzX4cbXU and i can just about do a braided chinese bun its so easy to you could try this one alsohttp://www.youtube.com/user/IsabelleNaturelle#p/u/7/Mvig-jBhQN8

Vermelha
November 9th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Not really. I straighten every now and again to see how long my hair has grown. It's growing about at the average rate.

Debra83
November 9th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Curly/wavy hair- Does the growth seem very slow?

painfully yessssssssssssss.

Lianna
November 9th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Well, I can see it's growing because when I measure it wet and pulled down. That's just what we gotta do to see if everything is alright/healthy growing. In the natural state it has shrinkage, about 20%, didn't really measure (yet).

It can be painful at times, but since I'm growing out in LOTS of layers from pixie, I find it good that it's wavy, so it doesn't look so shaggy as it really is. And the waves also makes it look fuller, even though I already have a lot of hair, I like big hair.

I wasn't always like that, I did flat iron in high school, I'm glad I like big hair now, because that's what I have (compared to the straight).

There's always likes and dislikes within every hair type.

Saturnia
November 10th, 2010, 12:02 AM
What is APL? I have that problem too - my hair looks so much shorter when it's dry thanks to these curles! When my hair hit mid-butt while straight, it curled up to waist. Not fair :(

Sanyia
November 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I feel my hair never grows, but then when I measure it, I find it has grown 1/2 an inch a month, as it should be.

princessp
November 10th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Yes, and for some reason I am so painfully aware of it this week! I feel like putting it up until next March. At least then I can possibly see some real growth happening. Ugh.

Roseate
November 10th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Oh, the fun of shrinkage!

You wanna see some real shrinkage, you should go look up the albums of some type 4's. With their texture, shrinkage can easily eat up over a foot of length. Some of those ladies can be above shoulder when airdried unmanipulated, and waist stretched! I had no idea this was possible til I started lurking around hairboards.

GrowingGlory
November 10th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I've been getting impatient with my apparent rate of growth, but I've also noticed spirals forming on the ends. Maybe they account for the slowdown.

autumnchild
November 10th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I can certainly relate. My hair seems like it never grows. I only flat iron it maybe once a year, and then i can see the growth, even though it is not long at all right now it still makes me feel great to atleast some growth. Hopefully this next year I will be out of the "ugly" stage and start to see some real progress. We'll see! :rolleyes:

Jules diamond
November 10th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I certainly feels that way.

jeanniet
November 11th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Sure does! This is why I don't measure and try not to get too hung up on growth rate. I can tell by feel (when I put my hair up) that my hair's growing over time, and I have to be happy with that. I'm mostly concentrating on improving my hair's overall condition, because if my ends are healthy I know it's going to keep growing.

Lianna
November 11th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Oh, the fun of shrinkage!

You wanna see some real shrinkage, you should go look up the albums of some type 4's. With their texture, shrinkage can easily eat up over a foot of length. Some of those ladies can be above shoulder when airdried unmanipulated, and waist stretched! I had no idea this was possible til I started lurking around hairboards.

Yep, I also read some AA hair forums, I can't believe some people don't think it's "fair" to stretch the hair to measure. :rolleyes:

30isthenewblack
November 11th, 2010, 02:17 AM
2" is nothing! My hair bounces up 6 to 10". The longest layer is about an inch past hip straight and can bounce up to BSL curly. Growing curly hair is very frustrating especially when you see pics of people whose hair you think is really long and then you realise that your hair is actually longer than theirs! For me, documenting my hair journey is the way forward. I don't think my hair is grown and then I look back to pictures that I have taken a few years ago or even a few months ago and it's only then that I realise the progress that I have made. I think it will take at least another four years to reach my final goal of having all layers the same length but I'm glad that at least I have started the journey. We have to start somewhere. :flowers:

curlymarcia
November 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
My hair shrinks 5", sometimes is less and others even more. It takes so loooong time to gain length. I love my curls but the shrinkage really annoyed me :(

mariika
November 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Does anyone else with wavy or curly hair feel the same way as I do?
Are you kidding? Like, seriously? You think everyone LIKES their hair to NEVER seem to get longer?! I HATE IT! If I let my hair dry in its full-on curly state it's shoulder length while wet it's past BSL. And I can't even measure my hair properly - it dries in different pattern each time - so it can be a tad looser this month than past and it seems like growth is tremendous while I know it's 1,5 cm at most. Frustrating.

spidermom
November 11th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't say slow as much as erratic. One day it looks longer, the next day shorter, and so forth.