PDA

View Full Version : How to get chlorine out of my hair without using shampoo..

Vivicka
November 9th, 2010, 02:53 AM
My hairs all dry even when washing it in the shower.. it stays dry and it hurts my scalp to move it :( When I got out of the shower it was almost dry.

Went to the pool today, had to quickly rinse my hair with water and used pantene conditioner (i barely ever use conditioner).
I tried using a LOT of baking soda, and then acv rinse, but neither of them did anything.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated

Dragon
November 9th, 2010, 03:17 AM
All I can suggest is wash your hair as least as possible to let your sebum content get back to normal and oil your scalp and hair a few hours before washing it. And a leave in conditioner may also help. Also next time you go swimming you may find a swimming cap may help. Alot of people also oil there hair before swimming.

spidermom
November 9th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Many shampoos won't remove chlorine, so I don't think baking soda has a hope of doing it, plus it is VERY likely to dry your hair out. There are special shampoos to remove chlorine.

I used to saturate my hair in conditioner, then braid it, but I've been told that conditioner isn't good for pool filters or the natural environment, so next time I'm going to use oil. CO will get oil out; hopefully oil will prevent hair from absorbing chlorine.

littlenvy
November 9th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I believe people (including me) use Club Soda. The clear, sugarless kind.
Just rinse with it after your wash.

Intransigentia
November 9th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Citric acid and ascorbic acid (vitamin C) both neutralise chlorine - and on top of that they can remove hard water and mineral buildup.

You can make a dechlorinating/chelating rinse by crushing up a vitamin C tablet (not the chewable kind with sugar and all that!) and dissolving it in water - distilled water is best but tap water will do. Or if you go to a specialty cooking store you can often buy vitamin C as a powder so no crushing (this is also cheaper than tablets).

For ascorbic acid, a 500mg tablet, or 1/16 of a teaspoon of powdered, in 1L of water brings the pH down to 4 - 4.5 so besides neutralising the chlorine it's like doing an apple cider vinegar rinse and helps make your hair shiny.

spidermom
November 9th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Also wanted to mention - have you tried diluting shampoo into a generous amount of water and then squirting that all over your scalp to wash? Some people even add a little conditioner to the mixture. I saved an empty conditioner bottle for my mix, but there are squirt bottles that you can buy - like those used for ketchup or mustard. I only run my fingers in one direction when I wash to avoid tangles, from forehead area toward nape (rather than trying to move it all around). I also squirt some down my length if there's something I want to clean off my hair. There won't be a lot of sudsing, but it will gently clean hair and scalp.

abbytaylor
November 15th, 2010, 12:35 PM
You don't need make a dechlorinating rinse.
Just get a shower filter that has a good dechlorinating effect. I've been using Vitamin C shower filter from the past few weeks and it has greatly improved my hair texture.
I had bought it from amazon.

little_cherry
November 15th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Water will not remove the chlorine crystals from hair.

I believe people (including me) use Club Soda. The clear, sugarless kind.
Just rinse with it after your wash.
This. It's a winner. Ktani suggested this to me and it works like a charm. I use warm club soda- I pour it into a glass and stir so that it goes somewhat flat and pour it over my hair after washing.

TheBluffs
January 10th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I swam completivly, and my hair is blonde. Lemon juice works alright, but put vegi oil before going in, protects it. And wear a cap, it works wonders.