PDA

View Full Version : to sulfate or not to sulfate

bubblyredhead
November 8th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Lately my scalp has been acting like it use to when I would use sulfates but I have been using the same conditioner and shampoo ( silicone and sulfate free) for over 3 months, could I be developing a reaction to the shampoo after this time? I tried my old sulfate shampoo and my scalp hasn't been itchy or anything like that :( Any ideas?

little_cherry
November 9th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Are you getting any conditioner on your scalp? If yes, then it's possible you could have 'cone build up on your scalp or your scalp is reacting to 'cones (like mine did.)

bubblyredhead
November 9th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I'm not using cones at all though

aenflex
November 9th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Love me some sulfates, about once per week. Less washing enables me to use them without getting dried out. If I washed every day though, I would use something with no sulfates, like a CV bar or something.

little_cherry
November 9th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I'm not using cones at all though
Oops, my apologies. :o

Conditioner can still build up on the scalp, though. I went cone free CO for a while and got the itchy scalp from applying conditioner to the scalp...I just put the CO on the ends and used shampoo on the roots only. It solved all of my itchies.

BrightEyes7
November 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I agree with Little Cherry. My scalp gets sore and itchy if I put conditioner on it. Are you just conditioning the length?

Maybe try clarifying to get rid of any build up. That could be why after you used your sulfate shampoo it cleared up, you had some build up and the sulfate free wasn't cutting it. You can try switching back to your sulfate free stuff again and see if you still have that problem.

In2wishin
November 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I agree with Little Cherry. My scalp gets sore and itchy if I put conditioner on it. Are you just conditioning the length?

Maybe try clarifying to get rid of any build up. That could be why after you used your sulfate shampoo it cleared up, you had some build up and the sulfate free wasn't cutting it. You can try switching back to your sulfate free stuff again and see if you still have that problem.

I agree with Little Cherry and BrightEyes: you probably have a buildup. If your sulphate shampoo cleaned and didn't give you the itchies you might want to keep it around and use it every 2 weeks or so as a clarifying shampoo.

McFearless
November 9th, 2010, 09:22 PM
You could ditch SLS and use ALES. Its more mild. I don't think your hair would suffer if you used it every few weeks.

An ACV rinse might work for you also. Good luck.

Vermelha
November 9th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Just use baking soda and ACV and call it a day :)