PDA

View Full Version : Things To Remember #1098: Clarifying

salamander
November 8th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I was convinced my ends were trashed and I was going to have to cut off three or four inches, and then I found my clarifying mix in a cabinet and remembered to give that a shot.

My hair. So nice. I cannot even. I keep rubbing it all over my face whenever I take it down. It's so smooth and soft and nice! Of course all the glued-down splits have popped back up, but I am OK with it, given pettability and non-cutting-ability that I've gotten in exchange.

The moral of the story: remember to clarify, folks. Especially if you have that one leave in with just a little bit of cones in it that you hardly ever use, honest. Pardon me while I go back to petting my hair.

HintOfMint
November 8th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Too true, man, too true.

And I feel you have been peeking in on my routine, with the comment about the one leave-in with only a little bit of cones:o
I recently bought a leave in, and of course, it has silicone but more than halfway down the ingredients, so I thought, "meh, shouldn't be too bad, right?" Hahaha. It is also heavy on proteins which my hair can't take for more than a few doses at a time. So yeah... I definitely needed a good clarifying after that.

Debra83
November 8th, 2010, 11:38 PM
note to self.....find clarifying shampoo!

Lianna
November 8th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I must watch out mostly the proteins. Whenever it feels dry or crunchy I clarify.

tinywife
November 8th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Wow!! This may seem like a silly question, but...how do I clarify?

Lianna
November 8th, 2010, 11:56 PM

I use a sulfate shampoo because I use cones. But others who don't can do a baking soda wash. There might be other methods around, of course.

alwayssmiling
November 9th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Yes I actually enjoy clarifying - my hair feels so soft and lovely, and actually shiny. How often do you clarify in a month? (I would do it every week, but I guess that could be too stripping so I put it off to maybe once a fortnight)

Aredhel77
November 9th, 2010, 04:43 AM

I think tinywife, that you either use a slightly harsher shampoo such a sulfate-based one, or you can wash with a paste of bicarbonate of soda (which can be drying). The other alternative is to add some bicarbonate of soda (maybe half a teaspoon...?) to your regular shampoo and wash with that mixture. The aim is to remove any product buildup (such as silicones). You would probably need to deep condition after as your hair will have been more 'stripped' than usual. And how often you do this depends on whether you are using silicones or lots of other styling products.

Am I right?
HTH :)

Dolly
November 9th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I keep a bottle of el-cheapo Suave Clarifying shampoo in my house. You can find it at most Dollar Stores or WalMart, and it removes all the gunk......

I am a regular cone user, and I clarify about once a month or so......and I always follow with a good moisturizing conditioner.....

LocustSpawning
November 9th, 2010, 05:02 AM
So basically, is using cones just fine if you clarify every so often? :)

Dolly
November 9th, 2010, 05:04 AM

Some people love cones.....my hair actually needs them for the protection, since I wear my hair down a lot......yes, cones are fine, as long as you are observant and keep an eye out for buildup, and do clarify when you notice an issue.....

Aredhel77
November 9th, 2010, 06:13 AM

Yes, if your hair starts to feel dry, 'crunchy' or just weird in any way clarifying then conditioning well may help. Most people do it about once a month, some people more, or less. Whatever works for you :)

cleanbug
November 9th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I keep a bottle of el-cheapo Suave Clarifying shampoo in my house. You can find it at most Dollar Stores or WalMart, and it removes all the gunk......

I am a regular cone user, and I clarify about once a month or so......and I always follow with a good moisturizing conditioner.....
does your suave say "clarifying" on it or is it the regular green apple, cocunut etc types?
thanks
tami

GRU
November 9th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Suave makes a Clarifying Shampoo -- it's not part of the "Naturals" line -- that is just a clear shampoo.

My hair used to do fairly well on cones when I shampooed regularly, but I didn't realize until after I stopped using cones (when I went the CO-wash route) that the cones were causing my allergy-eye symptoms (random tearing up). My hair's in much better shape now that I've stopped shampooing it, and my eyes are in much better shape since I stopped subjecting them to cones!

nena_shawty
November 9th, 2010, 12:14 PM
i used vinagre water (warm) rinse my hair in it and massage my scalp for maybe 5 minutes and that seems to work...once a month

KittyLost
November 9th, 2010, 12:52 PM

That's how I see it! But I use cones and no-cones, I like to experience them all!

I love clarifying, I used to do it to achieve the hair colour I wanted after dying more than using for build-up as I kept forgetting that getting rid of build-up was what it is originally for :o

Henrietta
November 12th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Ha! I have always thought that clarifying only makes my hair dry. But... maybe few hours of dry effect is worth getting rid of any possible build up...;) Thanks for this thread:)

tinygirl
November 12th, 2010, 09:55 AM
note to self.....find clarifying shampoo!

Seconded!!

Lianna
November 12th, 2010, 10:04 AM
You can use cones just fine if you clarify, but baking soda alone won't clean cones, I've read. And also depends on the cone, I think it's save to say SLS cleans all cones.

Anje
November 12th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Yes, yes, yes. Whenever people complain about their hair feeling awful, people always pipe up with these "it probably just needs a trim" comments. So often, clarifying and a moisture treatment give infinitely better results. Never blame on damage what shampoo can remove!