PDA

View Full Version : Protein or Moisture?

shockinglength
November 8th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I've never used a protein treatment on my hair. I don't know if my hair needs protein or more moisture......they signs are similar in both cases. How can I tell what I need? And if my hair likes/willl ike protein? Is there any really good home protein treatment(s)?

GeoJ
November 8th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Have you tried what the hair diagnostic article (see below) recommends? I don't know about home protein treatments.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

gotzbrainz
November 8th, 2010, 08:11 PM
protein treatments every once in while are good for any type hair it when you go to far with it that it becomes damaging. i did this recently and my hair was happy at first then over time got stiff and brittle. i had to clarify and moisturize with smt and coconut oil. id say moisture is better in the long run.

jujube
November 8th, 2010, 08:38 PM
What exactly does protein do to your hair? And how do you know if a conditioner contains it?

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 12:24 AM
One thing to think about is your hair's porosity - this article has some good descriptions of the different levels of porosity, and which types benefit from protein vs. additional moisture (^(oo)^)

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair

For example, I have low porosity hair, and protein makes my hair all sticky/crunchy and dull (>(oo)<)`

Lianna
November 9th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Some very good links were already provided. My hair doesn't like protein on a regular basis either. Not everyone needs it. If your hair is mushy/stretchy it need protein.

jojo
November 9th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I have naturally fragile hair and my hair benefits from a protein treatment every month or two. I find it helps prevent breakage and split ends for me, though always make sure to follow with a DC to put some moisture back in your hair; too much protein leads to dry, crunchy hair just as too much moisture leads to mushy hair. Its about finding a happy medium that enables your hair to have shine and lusture as well as retaining length.

For example if you find despite s&ding you are still finding your hair appears to be growing slow or is showing signs of breaking, then you need to re-evaluate your hair regime, looking at what products may be contributing to this and trying different products. Its all trial and error and what your hair loves at one length, it may hate at another.

Anje
November 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Here's my favorite description on how to tell whether you need protein or moisture. (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html)

lhangel9
November 12th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Here's my favorite description on how to tell whether you need protein or moisture. (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html)

Very interesting article. Thx!:cheese:

1hunky5monkeys
November 12th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Thank you! That was very helpful!

writer_mom
May 1st, 2012, 05:33 PM
I do not know which my hair is. I have not used chemicals outside shampoos on my hair. No hair dryers. no styling products. However, my water is hard, I live in a harsh heat climate and I am out in the sun quite a bit in my garden, I ponytail tightly, and never really condition.

I bet my hair is damaged from that, isn't it?

spookyghost
May 1st, 2012, 07:04 PM
In the article posted by Anje it said that the key is to lock in moisture within the strands with your oil. And that if you use oils without a moisturizer or before one then the oil will seal the moisture out of the hair strand leading to dry hair.

Big question that hopefully someone will answer;)

Does that article mean that I should wash and condition my hair before I oil it so my hair has conditioner in it and then I put my oil on my hair? I have been putting the oil on when my hair is dry-not damp from washing it. If Im understanding that article correctly then that means Im sealing the moisture OUT of my hair instead of in. Because I didnt condition my hair first right?

Please if someone knows the answer please let me know. Im sitting here right now with oil in my hair and I might be doing it wrong!

swearnsue
May 1st, 2012, 08:47 PM
In the article posted by Anje it said that the key is to lock in moisture within the strands with your oil. And that if you use oils without a moisturizer or before one then the oil will seal the moisture out of the hair strand leading to dry hair.

Big question that hopefully someone will answer;)

Does that article mean that I should wash and condition my hair before I oil it so my hair has conditioner in it and then I put my oil on my hair? I have been putting the oil on when my hair is dry-not damp from washing it. If Im understanding that article correctly then that means Im sealing the moisture OUT of my hair instead of in. Because I didnt condition my hair first right?

Please if someone knows the answer please let me know. Im sitting here right now with oil in my hair and I might be doing it wrong!

But then the article said that oil should be called nourishing instead of moisturizing. So nourishing is good though, right? Maybe for sure it is good to lightly oil after shampoo and condition and then any other oiling is "extra" since you have already sealed in your conditioner by oiling the first time. IDK.