PDA

View Full Version : I just did Feye's Trim! YAY!

feralnature
November 8th, 2010, 11:32 AM
After 3 years of no trims whatsoever, I studied up on Feye's Self Trim Method for a V shaped hemline and did it.

I am thrilled with the results because I feel empowered and I know that I will not ever have to depend on a hairdresser again.

I cut 2 inches off and the V shape came out good. (I had chosen "V shape" although you can do "U shape" or "Blunt" per Feye's instructions). I had measured the tip of my hair in the back at 30 inches prior to the cut and it is now 28 inches. I can run a comb through it now without it wanting to stop at the ends and tangling. I did the cut dry and then took a shower. My hair is wet now and I will look at my handywork when it is dry again. I decided to just stop when I came to a point when it was fairly good so I would not keep trimming and trimming and suddenly have a bob! Anyway, I'm very happy with it.

So don't be afraid, yall, it works and is easy! :)

~~~Ok, I have come back now and added a new pic, a new siggy pic, so this is my hair now~~~

luluj
November 8th, 2010, 11:47 AM
"CONGRATULATIONS!" I can't wait to see the photos! I did Feye's Trim for the first time just a month or so ago, you can see the results in my album, and, like you, I am thrilled to not have to depend on a hair salon ever again! PS....I chose the "U" hemline. I am so Happy for you!

feralnature
November 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks luluj! I went as long as I could without trimming to get maximum growth. I no longer work away from home so it's not like I go amongst people every day amd need to have perfect looking hair. So I could just let it grow untrimmed and wild looking. I will gradually cut off the old damaged hair as time passes and will eventually have all virgin hair. Benign neglect is the way to go.

I measured my hair when I joined here and you can see to the left under my avatar that it was 16.5 (Jan.2008). I grew it to 30 inches and then cut off 2 to get 28 that it is now. I never did meassure it a second time until today.

I just do not understand people that measure and measure and measure their hair. I say "Relax and let it grow! Leave your hair alone! :)

feralnature
November 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM
btw the pic in my siggy of my untrimmed hair was really a study in "benign neglect". It was "water only" wash, I had slept on it unbraided for 2 days and it had not been combed in 2 days. I had oiled it with coconut each day though. So it was just my hair, no getting it "ready" for LHC photo :)

Valdeon
November 8th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Congratulations on the successful self-trim! :cheer:

You managed not to cut your hair for 3 years. That is so jaw droppingly amazing!:agape:

I cannot resist trimming my hair every 3 months let alone 3 years :D

Anyway, good for you and cant wait to see the pictures! :)

Yozhik
November 8th, 2010, 12:16 PM
That's wonderful! I'm glad Feye's method worked so well for you :)

I'm actually girding my loins for this particular task, as well, although I've only gone about a year now without a trim . . . I keep on debating on whether or not my ends are still bearable :hmm:

Your hair looks great in your siggie, by the way!

feralnature
November 8th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks Yoz! Even though my siggy pic is before the trim and looks damaged, it always remained remarkably soft because of the coconut oil. The whole three years I oiled at least 3 times a week if not more. I use cold water to rinse and used Suave Coconut Shampoo and Conditioner. No heat. So my hair never broke off and no splits if you can believe it. Also, regular vitamins and always Biotin.

spidermom
November 8th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Been there, done that, and got a slant going from left to right, with the right side longer. I'm glad it worked for you, though.

sailing
November 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Your hair is so pretty in your siggy picture! Sleeping with my hair loose and not combing for 2 days would leave me with a rats nest for sure.

I love my self trim also, however I cut 15" or so off. Just pulled each side to the front and ran my fingers down each curl until I felt the icky part that'd been relaxed and heat abused and cut it off. I'm sure if I straighten my hair, it's probably really ratty and uneven, but seeing as even with major relaxers and heat being used, I didn't get straight hair, I figure I shouldn't worry too much.

But so nice to know I never again have to go see someone who is going to tell me how everything I'm doing is wrong and how I really need to straighten my hair and whatever else.

lajsa
November 8th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I've used the Feye method as well, when I did my little trim in August. It really works better than I thought; I was pretty sure I'd butcher my poor hair :p

BrightEyes7
November 8th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I've been using Feye's method for about 5 months or so. I've done a few bigger trims (3 inches) but I've also done a bunch of micro-trims between. I too was so happy to know I never had to go back to a stylist ever again! That is what started my long hair journey, getting my hair messed up too many times by scissor happy stylists...

clairenewcastle
November 8th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I used the Feye method for the first time a few months ago with a lot of trepidation for I was convinced I'd ruin my hemline by doing so........
However, to my amazement Feye's method worked perfectly!

I'm self-trimmed a few times since then using Feye's method and swear by it.
I can't recommend it enough!

Fiordiligi
November 8th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Wow, inspiring! I'm really pleased it turned out well for you, and really encouraged as I'm looking forward to doing this in the future, and trying to keep on benignly neglecting in the meantime.

feralnature
November 8th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I just happily updated my photo albums and can see such an amazing difference! It is nice to see how far I have come. When I joined up here, having long hair again, after cutting off my dreads gone wrong, well, it was a far off dream, and now I actually give folks advice here! OH HAPPY DANCE!

mellie89
November 8th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Self-trimming is awesome! I'm still working out the kinks for my own hair, but I took about a half-inch off last month, and it seemed to work well.

And congratulations on 3 years without trims! I don't have that kind of persistence. :p

daaisychains
November 8th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Woo hoo :cheese: Nice to see another happy head of hair!

I plan on doing this in January, really hope i have the same success so that i'm finally done with the salon!

Congrats again.

Avital88
November 8th, 2010, 03:49 PM
It looks great and healthy!
Thinking about it too now, but too scared to do it haha.
I'll wait a few months..

feralnature
November 8th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Woo hoo :cheese: Nice to see another happy head of hair!

I plan on doing this in January, really hope i have the same success so that i'm finally done with the salon!

Congrats again.

If you go to my 2010 album, you will see the difference the small trim made. You can certainly do it when the time comes if i did!

jojo
November 8th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Looks great, I do a spidermom when I try but my 17 year old daughter does mine, glad yours came out great though; well done!

Alvrodul
November 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I did a mini trim myself just yesterday, took off maybe 0.5-1 cm. You wouldn't have expected that to do much bit I can actually feel that my ends are happier today!:cheese:

girlcat36
November 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Excellent job! Your hair looks beautiful!