PDA

View Full Version : Msm and biotin causes break outs

tanula
November 8th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I take 2000 mg of msm and biotin I tried different dosage for both and I still break out. I tried drinking lots of water I drink 3 liters of water when I take msm and biotin. I get big cysts on my forehead and with msm I get whiteheads. I really want to take them because I see great results but my skin suffers. Any suggestion?

LawyerGirl
November 8th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I thought I remembered someone saying that evening primrose oil supplements helped to offset the breakouts from biotin?

I don't take biotin, only MSM, and it doesn't bother my skin. Biotin did break me out though.

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I broke out a little but I just had my woman time lol. So I don't know if I would relate that right away. I take both too but I only starting taking biotin for the past 2 days. Do you wash your face and make sure to keep it moisturized after?

aenflex
November 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Did the same for me, couple years back. I got a bottle from the healthfood store, I think they were 800 mg, powder in cellulose little caps. I took them religiously and broke out too. I know it was from the Biotin, because typically I have acne-free skin all the time. Aside from the occasional zit that accompanies the time of the month, of course. But I got these patches of small pimples that were very uncharateristic, and they ceased not long after I discontinued the Biotin....I think it's a not uncommon reaction :(

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Question is do the hair effects of biotin outweigh the effects on acne? Does it really help a lot with hair growth?

jojo
November 8th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Zinc is what helps if you get breakouts with the biotin and msm and of course keeping hydrated.

ItsMyHair
November 8th, 2010, 01:39 PM
High doses of Biotin (higher than 1000) broke me out too. Right now I am alternatining Biotin and MSM (alternating days) and I'm not breaking out at all. I do think my hair is growing a bit faster.

curlytiff27
November 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
What works for me is taking Vitamin C with both. I take alot of Biotin and MSM daily, trying to offset my postpartum shed right now. I take 10,000 mcg of biotin and 2,000 mgs of MSM in the morning with 500-1000 mgs of vitamin and 1,000 mgs of EPO. I also do the same thing at night time before bed. I also do drink alot of water daily too. I initially broke out with the cystic acne until I added the vitamin C. My skin is honestly clear now. Actually, last week, I miss the vitamin C for a day and literally got a zit the next day. So, for me the vitamin c helps. :)

jera
November 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Maybe taking the lowest dose available and gradually increasing it might help? I never broke out from biotin or msm, but took my biotin in gradually increasing doses from 300 MCG to 5,000 MCG.

gotzbrainz
November 8th, 2010, 02:43 PM
interesting, for me i take 10000 mcg of biotin with a centrum or prenatel pill every day. i think you should def take a multivitamin with biotin. and try lowering your dose???

Igor
November 8th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Honestly, I would stop taking it or lowering the dose then. Your hair will grow anyways, but having cystic acne is absolutely no fun. You have pinpointed the cause of your skin trouble, you can stop it. A lot of people would only dream of having that option

ReluctantlyCurl
November 11th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I am pretty sure acne is a pretty common side effect of biotin; I only took it for a short while but stopped in part b/c I heard of that side effect. I already have acne and did not need and help :)

rachelily
November 12th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Vitamin B is recommended to be taken with biotin so you won't break out. Also, lots and lots of H20 :)

Anje
November 12th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Yep, blame the biotin.

I got zits with it too. Recently decided to try it again and added zinc to the pill regimen. That seems to have done the trick, though I'm slightly concerned about ODing on zinc now. Word is that you need more of it if you have lots of copper too, which I assume I've got excess amounts of thanks to the IUD. (Probably, I should research this instead of blithely taking pills and wondering....)

ddiana1979
November 12th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Are you taking a multivitamin too? I'm very prone to acne, and a multivitamin w/ the Biotin/MSN helped clear things up.

Oh, and I recently switched from Proactiv to MaxClarity Foam, which I like a lot. It doesn't irritate my skin the way Proactiv did.