PDA

View Full Version : Leave the Hair or the Skin Gets It!

Niwa
November 8th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I have very sensitive, acne-prone skin, and as a result, I am in a dilemma. Recently, I started using small amounts of coconut and mustard oils on my hair, and my hair loves them. It is soft; it is smooth; the damaged ends are no longer breaking; detangling is a dream. In short, my hair is in heaven. My skin, however, is in hell. Around the time I started using the oils, I was shocked to find that I kept on breaking out no matter what I did. Believe me, as a long time acne sufferer, I have quite a bag of tricks, both prescription and natural, so I was surprised I couldn't stop the breakouts. I haven't looked like this since my teen years.

Then I noticed that when I slept, small, barely noticeable amounts of oil would 'bleed' from my hair (even with my night cap on) onto my pillow. Because I sleep on my side and migrate a bit during the night, the oils were getting on my face. I took to sleeping on my back and wearing shower cap on my head, but should the shower cap slip even a bit, I end up with a vicious breakout.

I am at my wits' end. How long can I keep sleeping immobile on my back with a hot, sticky showercap on my head? :laugh: I am already using as little oil as possible, so that I can barely see it.

More info: My scalp produces little oil and my hair is dry, so washing more than once a week is out of the question. I have tried it before with breakage and thinning to show for it.

trolleypup
November 8th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Maybe you can find an oil that doesn't cause breakouts? No particular help...my skin isn't bothered by oils. Of the oils I've used, camellia seems to be one of the most neutral.

kabelaced
November 8th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I haven't found an answer yet, but let me say that I feel like we're in the same boat...a little bit after I started leaving coconut oil in my hair, I've had these horrible breakouts all the time. It's very demoralizing, and wearing make-up every day exacerbates the problem for me. :(

I have dry skin and an oily complexion, but I think that maybe both are exacerbated by rising body temperatures at night. When I wear the du-rag, I notice my temperature feels much hotter the next morning. Do you think that might have anything to do with it?

I'm thinking of doing heavy oilings and leave them in while I'm at work, coming home to shower, and then only adding leave-in instead of the coconut oil. But I love the shine that coconut oil gives, too!! :(

Niwa
November 8th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Maybe you can find an oil that doesn't cause breakouts? No particular help...my skin isn't bothered by oils. Of the oils I've used, camellia seems to be one of the most neutral.This is probably a good idea. I am not sure my pocketbook can handle purchasing small amounts of various oils to see which does not break me out though. I am also not sure that an oil exists that does not break me out. I already know that olive, coconut, mustard, neem, jojoba (yes, jojoba, which breaks no one else out!), rosehip, castor, amla, emu, and a host of other oils, absolutely wreck my skin.

Niwa
November 8th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I haven't found an answer yet, but let me say that I feel like we're in the same boat...a little bit after I started leaving coconut oil in my hair, I've had these horrible breakouts all the time. It's very demoralizing, and wearing make-up every day exacerbates the problem for me. :(:( At least we can commiserate with each other.

I have dry skin and an oily complexion, but I think that maybe both are exacerbated by rising body temperatures at night. When I wear the du-rag, I notice my temperature feels much hotter the next morning. Do you think that might have anything to do with it?The oil getting on our skin is probably more than enough in itself to wreak havoc.

I'm thinking of doing heavy oilings and leave them in while I'm at work, coming home to shower, and then only adding leave-in instead of the coconut oil. But I love the shine that coconut oil gives, too!! :(It sounds as if you have a plan there. :) I am not sure what in the world to do, because I cannot wash every day and am also on a benign neglect regimen. So, I keep my hair in an English braid for days, then wash, and put it back in an English braid. I have been on the regimen for a month, and it is working wonders for my hair. My skin, however.... :(

aenflex
November 8th, 2010, 09:57 AM
How about adding oils from the ears down only?

spidermom
November 8th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Maybe keep the oil away from your scalp. I usually make a single braid coming from the top-back of my head so that I can direct it over the top of my pillow. I've never noticed a problem with oil transfer, but you can always wrap the braid with a scarf or something to prevent same if you're concerned.

I only use oil the day before I plan to wash my hair unless I want to blow-dry it, then I use a smidge of oil on the bottom half of my length as protection from blow-drying..

Niwa
November 8th, 2010, 10:59 AM
How about adding oils from the ears down only?This is a good idea. I will try it at my next wash. The hair closest to my scalp probably doesn't need much oil anyway, since the sebum can work its way down at least that far.

Maybe keep the oil away from your scalp. I usually make a single braid coming from the top-back of my head so that I can direct it over the top of my pillow. I've never noticed a problem with oil transfer, but you can always wrap the braid with a scarf or something to prevent same if you're concerned.I can't wait until my hair is long enough to throw it over my pillow! :) I always cover my hair at night, but the oil seems to seep through my cap eventually. I will try keeping the oil away from my scalp though. Thank you.

HintOfMint
November 8th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I have the exact same problem. My hair LOVES coconut oil, but I had to stop using it because I was breaking out like mad. My hair looks best in the morning when I sleep in a cinnabun on the top of my head and my underlayer needs the most coconut oil. Basically, the way the style is, the oil bleeds through and gets on my pillow and gets on my face.

I started adding coconut oil to my conditioner and that has been helping quite a bit. It's not the same as a leave in, but it still works well.

spidermom
November 8th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Is your hair long enough to put into a top ponytail, pineapple style? (don't make it tight)

Theobroma
November 8th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Have you tried sweet almond oil? Given that the stuff seems to be favoured for use in products for sensitive skins and/or allergy sufferers, it might be worth investigating?

Sweet_Decadence
November 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I get this too. I can really sypathise. Oils do some really crazy things to my skin.

I tend tie my hair in a pony at the nape of my neck and oil whatever hair fall below the bobble. I usually then braid it, this has been pretty succesful for me and it's pretty comfy to sleep in.

moonkitty
November 8th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I have the same problem as you and the only solution I came up with that is working is to change my pillowcase constantly...like twice a week. I also need to wash my sleep cap often because I am convinced the oil is seeping through the thin fabric onto my pillow. Good Luck :)

Niwa
November 8th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I have the same problem as you and the only solution I came up with that is working is to change my pillowcase constantly...like twice a week. I also need to wash my sleep cap often because I am convinced the oil is seeping through the thin fabric onto my pillow. Good Luck :)I change my pillowcase every night because a trace amount of oil on my pillowcase is all that's needed for my skin to go mad. I handwash my cap every day. None of that makes a difference though if while I am sleeping, some oil gets on my pillow and my skin happens to brush it. I will erupt within a day if any oil gets on my skin as I sleep.

Is your hair long enough to put into a top ponytail, pineapple style? (don't make it tight) My hair is long enough for a high ponytail, but I wear it in an English braid between washes. If oiling only the length below my ears doesn't work, I will try taking down the English braid and putting my hair in a high ponytail. If that doesn't work, I am going to be cooking for the next few years with my huge stash of olive, coconut, and mustard oils.

I get this too. I can really sypathise. Oils do some really crazy things to my skin.

I tend tie my hair in a pony at the nape of my neck and oil whatever hair fall below the bobble. I usually then braid it, this has been pretty succesful for me and it's pretty comfy to sleep in.Thank you for sympathising. That makes me feel better. :) Thanks everyone in this thread, actually. I am glad I am not the only one going through this. I was starting to feel really bad about my skin, so it makes me feel better to know I am not such an anomaly.

mariika
November 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Same here. I used to use burdock oil to oil my scalp and there seemed to be an increase in growth rate AND IN ACNE... So I had to stop oiling. I think it's just that oil is not for me. Before someone finds a fool proof oil that does not cause acne or a really working anti-acne cream I am not going that way.

Choctaw
November 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
maybe a terry cloth headband can help to absorb some of the excess oil from scalp that is seeping onto your face? GRU mentioned this to capture drips from henna treatments.

If your scalp is not dry, just oil the ends of your hair. Mustard oil is slippery and it does travel. It works great under gels, prevents crunchiness :)

YesitsReal
November 8th, 2010, 02:41 PM
You would probably do much better with a less comedogenic oil. Coconut oil is very comedogenic (4 out of 5!). Here's a good website on comedogenicity:

http://www.dermaxime.com/acne-comedogenic-ingredients.htm#Natural%20Oils

The value on the left side of the chart is comedogenicity, and the value on the right is irritation value.

Good luck!

Anje
November 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I'd suggest oiling from the ears down, and switch yourself over to a satin sleep bonnet. That should protect you well enough from oils on your face (especially if you wash it regularly), and it'll be a lot more comfortable than sleeping with a plastic shower cap.

Try some non-comedogenic oils. Coconut can be bad for some folks. How about Sunflower or Safflower?
ETA: Here's another list. (http://www.soapnuts.com/noncomo.html) And another. (http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm) Occasionally you'll find they don't agree on some points (probably results of different tests), but looking at a few should give you a good idea of oils to try that might not cause you to break out.

UltraBella
November 8th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Oh my gosh, if jojoba oil breaks you out then I have no suggestions :( That is the only oil that works for me and my acne prone skin.
I hope you find something !

Coan-Teen
November 8th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I would ask what your nightcap is made of? Maybe try switching to an absorbent material so that the oil doesn't make it onto your pillowcase at all. I'd bet if you wrapped your hair entirely into a turban made of more absorbent material less of the oil would make it's way anywhere.

Just for reference this isn't based on anything, it's just the first thing that occurred to me as a potential solution. I hope it works. I may soon be in the same boat. I've got very acne-prone skin so we'll see.

<3OnHerSleeve
November 8th, 2010, 05:03 PM
sounds like you're doing overnight treatments. I rarely do that, but what I do is put oil in my hair for 1/2 hour before showering. perhaps you can do this with the cap on and all so it doesn't drip while you're sleeping. This way you still get the hair treatment, but your skin won't be subject to it. Also as above suggestions, perhaps avoid the oil on the scalp.

jaine
November 8th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Have you tried a low-glycemic-load diet like the paleo or primal diet? High insulin levels can affect the skin's ability to shed old cells properly and the pores are more easily clogged. This kind of diet is designed to keep blood sugar stable so you never get a spike in insulin levels and your skin wouldn't get clogged as easily. I thought it wouldn't work but my acne-prone skin was 100&#37; acne free after 2 months on the paleo diet. The only time I get a zit now is when I test the limits of far I can go off the diet. I've been eating this way since January and I plan to stick with it pretty much permanently.

It's worth googling, anyway ...you can read about acne and insulin sensitivity and glycemic load.

Niwa
November 8th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Have you tried a low-glycemic-load diet like the paleo or primal diet? High insulin levels can affect the skin's ability to shed old cells properly and the pores are more easily clogged. This kind of diet is designed to keep blood sugar stable so you never get a spike in insulin levels and your skin wouldn't get clogged as easily. I thought it wouldn't work but my acne-prone skin was 100% acne free after 2 months on the paleo diet. The only time I get a zit now is when I test the limits of far I can go off the diet. I've been eating this way since January and I plan to stick with it pretty much permanently.

It's worth googling, anyway ...you can read about acne and insulin sensitivity and glycemic load.You know, I appreciate that you posted this. Sometimes, people might refrain from suggesting an unusual approach for fear of not being taken seriously, but the information they possess might change a life. I will seriously look into this. Thanks.

kabelaced
November 9th, 2010, 08:03 AM
This is probably a good idea. I am not sure my pocketbook can handle purchasing small amounts of various oils to see which does not break me out though. I am also not sure that an oil exists that does not break me out. I already know that olive, coconut, mustard, neem, jojoba (yes, jojoba, which breaks no one else out!), rosehip, castor, amla, emu, and a host of other oils, absolutely wreck my skin.

Looking at some of the sites people have linked on here, it seems that Safflower or Sunflower oils could be beneficial.

I'm going to give them a try, methinks. :) You should, too!

GRU
November 9th, 2010, 11:19 AM
How about adding a shower cap or "treatment cap" under your sleeping cap? Something that is impermeable to the oil, so it can't soak through?

nena_shawty
November 9th, 2010, 11:27 AM
ugh i know how you feel i haVE THE SAME PROBLEM

Pixna
November 9th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I have a similar problem in terms of breakouts, so I am very careful about how, what, and when I apply oil. Here's what I use and do:

1. I use only grapeseed oil. In my experience, it has been the least "oily" and most effective in terms of moisturizing without causing breakouts.

2. I oil ONLY from the ears down.

3. I apply only a very small amount of oil (turn the bottle over once or twice quickly into my palm, just enough so when I rub my hands together they are slightly shiny but not slick). I also add a drop of rosemary essential oil and one or two drops of lavender essential oil before I rub my palms together.

4. I apply the oil ONLY after I wash my hair (which I do once a week), while my hair is still very damp. I comb it in from the ears down -- I do not use a comb above my ears after I've oiled until my hair is completely dry. I do not oil my hair when it is dry, and I wait until my hair is dry or almost dry before I go to bed (I wash it in the evening).

Also, you might want to use a headband to keep your hair off your face during the day (or at night) until it is long enough to put up.

This has worked for me. I hope some of these ideas might work for you too.

Niwa
November 9th, 2010, 11:49 AM
How about adding a shower cap or "treatment cap" under your sleeping cap? Something that is impermeable to the oil, so it can't soak through?That's primarily what inspired this thread. I have been wearing a shower cap under my satin cap, but wearing a hot, sweaty shower cap is hardly sustainable for me.

Niwa
November 9th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I have a similar problem in terms of breakouts, so I am very careful about how, what, and when I apply oil. Here's what I use and do:

1. I use only grapeseed oil. In my experience, it has been the least "oily" and most effective in terms of moisturizing without causing breakouts.

2. I oil ONLY from the ears down.

3. I apply only a very small amount of oil (turn the bottle over once or twice quickly into my palm, just enough so when I rub my hands together they are slightly shiny but not slick). I also add a drop of rosemary essential oil and one or two drops of lavender essential oil before I rub my palms together.

4. I apply the oil ONLY after I wash my hair (which I do once a week), while my hair is still very damp. I comb it in from the ears down -- I do not use a comb above my ears after I've oiled until my hair is completely dry. I do not oil my hair when it is dry, and I wait until my hair is dry or almost dry before I go to bed (I wash it in the evening).Great tips! I will try these. Thanks.

Also, you might want to use a headband to keep your hair off your face during the day (or at night) until it is long enough to put up.My hair is already long enough to put up, and I always keep it up in an English braid rolled into a bun (I am on a "benign neglect"/"wear your hair up" kick.). It never touches my face.

GRU
November 9th, 2010, 12:12 PM
That's primarily what inspired this thread. I have been wearing a shower cap under my satin cap, but wearing a hot, sweaty shower cap is hardly sustainable for me.

What about double-wrapping or wearing two "breathable" caps instead of just one?

TrudieCat
November 9th, 2010, 12:21 PM
The coconut oil/shampoo blending techniques discussed in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025) might be an alternative way for your hair to benefit from coconut oil. This method doesn't seem to make people's hair greasy in any way, and while I haven't tried it yet myself, I'd assume that there would be only a very small chance that oil would get on your pillowcase after using this washing method.

Madame J
November 9th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Coconut oil makes me break out with a vengeance, but jojoba oil and shea butter do not. I've also used sweet almond oil with good results on both my hair and face (in the winter). Also, can you apply oils early in the day so that your hair has absorbed them by the time you go to sleep?

Another trick is to get a pack of cheap t-shirts and put a clean shirt over your pillow every night, turning the pillow over so that each shirt can yield two clean surfaces (or 4 if you feel comfortable turning the shirt inside out). That's a trick that people with recent piercings use to minimize contact of piercings with unwashed pillow cases.

sibiryachka
November 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM
The coconut oil/shampoo blending techniques discussed in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025) might be an alternative way for your hair to benefit from coconut oil. This method doesn't seem to make people's hair greasy in any way, and while I haven't tried it yet myself, I'd assume that there would be only a very small chance that oil would get on your pillowcase after using this washing method.

Exactly what I was going to suggest! This method leaves hair much more lightly oiled than I've ever managed using my hands - excess is no longer an issue.

Niwa
November 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM
The coconut oil/shampoo blending techniques discussed in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025) might be an alternative way for your hair to benefit from coconut oil. This method doesn't seem to make people's hair greasy in any way, and while I haven't tried it yet myself, I'd assume that there would be only a very small chance that oil would get on your pillowcase after using this washing method.Thanks for sharing the thread! I don't use shampoo, but I'll see if I can replace shampoo with conditioner or something else in some of the recipes.

What about double-wrapping or wearing two "breathable" caps instead of just one?This was a good idea, so I tried it. Same result. :(

starlights
November 11th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I've had the occasional pimple or three caused by oiling. What i do is this.
Light oil (not too heavy so its more than what your hair needs) then after ive put it up and shoved my hair away from my face i wash my face with cold water.
Dry the entire face. Use a good moisturiser then i add talcum powder to the areas where the pimples show up usaully. I find this cuts down pimples to 0 for me.

Blueneko
November 11th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I would put tea tree oil on your hairline.

Niwa
November 11th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I would put tea tree oil on your hairline.

Now, this is a fascinating idea. I can easily see the sense in it, so I will try this too!

ddiana1979
November 11th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I had the same problem. I started using coconut oil the minute I got home from work on CWC days, and put it up in a clip, off my neck & face. Then immediately before I go to bed, I CWC. This seems to have helped tremendously. If you have a day on the weekend when you are free (i.e. don't need to see anybody you'd be embarrassed to let them see a ton of coconut oil on your head), put it on in the morning, and then do your weekly wash that night.

I like spidermom's idea of the pineapple ponytail too.

Demetrue
November 11th, 2010, 08:19 PM
After I oil my hair or even use conditioner, I always wash my face with a salicylic acid acne face wash. Before bed I wash with the acne face wash and then apply a light layer of benzoyl peroxide around the perimeter of my face (forehead, chin, outer cheeks).

Opal25
November 12th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I have the same problem with tea tree oil & raw/unrefined castor oil (my hair absolutely loves castor oil). I use to have the same problem with coconut oil, but found that switching brands helped - I think it is quite possible the old brand of coconut oil I was using was not pure coconut oil. :/ I still use castor oil from time to time, but try not to over do it & I use refined castor oil instead which has meant fewer breakouts for me. :)

Anyways, I do hope you find a solution to your breakout problem. Maybe you can try oiling & bagging the very ends of your hair & then wrapping your hair with a silk or satin scarf :)

MsEvans
January 14th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I had the same problem until I added manuka and tea tree oil to my oils every once in a while and I use diluted tea tree oil to cleanse my face