PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Vitamins???

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 01:33 AM
My roommate noticed I take ALOT of vitamins. I already had the vitamins that was suggest for healthy hair, but my parents decided to send me like 4 more vitamins to add to my box. My pill box is filled to capacity now and I take all of it's contents a day. I only started using what my parents wanted for a week. My roommate says that taking too many vitamins could force my body to pee them all out [not to sound gross.] That means they won't work, including the vitamins for my hair. I want to just stick to my hair vitamins, but are those even too much? I think I take about 5 types of vitamins for my hair a day. Should I cut down on what my parents gave me? Will my hair vitamins work all together? How long do vitamins need to be in my system for them to work their magic on my hair? Will my vitamins really not work if I use too many?

WinterInBloom
November 8th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Your body will only pee out what it can't utilize, but only water soluble vitamins (in other words taking too many vitamins can't make you pee them all out). That's something you have to look out for. Water soluble vitamins, like vitamin c, will just pass out of your body if your body can't use all of it, unless you take extremely high amounts, then you might have problems (certain organs can be stressed/damaged). You have to be more careful with fat soluble vitamins, like vitamins A and E. Instead of just passing out in your urine the excess that your body can't use right away will get stored in your body's fatty deposits, and if allowed to build up too much, those kind of vitamins can cause toxicity (and again can stress/ hurt organs, I think the liver can be hurt in this case because of the stress of trying to process great amounts of vitamins).

Igor
November 8th, 2010, 02:51 AM
My roommate noticed I take ALOT of vitamins. I already had the vitamins that was suggest for healthy hair, but my parents decided to send me like 4 more vitamins to add to my box. My pill box is filled to capacity now and I take all of it's contents a day. I only started using what my parents wanted for a week.
This would be so much easier to answer if you had added some info here. What kind of vitamins? Children’s chewable? B complex? A hair, skin and nail formula? It’s impossible to give a good answer really when you just put down “4 more vitamins”. If its an all-in-one type vitamin you are generally covered and should not take more than what is recommended on the one bottle.

My roommate says that taking too many vitamins could force my body to pee them all out [not to sound gross.]
Uhm, no. Peeing depends on how much fluid you take in and how much your body metabolises. What is left, comes out as pee. That doesn’t depend on vitamins. Vitamins can’t “force you” to pee. Even if you take in too much of a water-soluble vitamin your body won’t create extra urine to flush it out.

That means they won't work, including the vitamins for my hair.
No again. Before anything is peed out, the body will have absorbed what it needs. When you eat something or take a vitamin, it will be broken down in the digestive system, then distributed through the bloodstream where the cells will pick up what they need (and take a detour around the liver) before it finally is lead through the kidneys and out. What you pee out is what the body can’t use, in one way or another. Unless you have a serious health issue.

I want to just stick to my hair vitamins, but are those even too much? I think I take about 5 types of vitamins for my hair a day. Should I cut down on what my parents gave me?
Really, there is no way to tell when all the information I have is “5 types of vitamins”. What you should do, is do the math for each vitamin and compare it to a daily recommended dose.

Will my hair vitamins work all together?
Some minerals will block each others absorption. Zinc, for instance can block iron absorption and calcium can block zinc absorption. But other than that, I cant tell you with this information.

How long do vitamins need to be in my system for them to work their magic on my hair?
People usually say 3-6 months from starting a vitamin routine until they see results on hair.

Will my vitamins really not work if I use too many?
A too high intake on vitamins can actually be damaging. It puts a lot of pressure on the kidneys and liver having to break down a big surplus of vitamins. But how much it takes to reach that point depends on the vitamin:
The fat soluble vitamins: A, D, E, K are, as the name suggests, stored in fat. That means that if you take in more than your body needs, the excess will be stored in the fat tissue. If you keep piling on vitamins that your body cant get rid of, you can get “poisoned” from it. You probably know why heavy metals are dangerous for the body; this is the very same effect you get.
The water soluble vitamins: The vitamin Bs and C are flushed out with urine. If you take in more than your body needs, it will be expelled with urine. You can spot that pretty easily because your urine will darken (go more yellow) and often pick up a very distinct smell. It’s hard to describe, but easy to tell once you experience it

CherrySilver
November 8th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Don't worry about what your roommate says -- sounds like she's pretty ignorant when it comes to this. If I listened to people like this for advice, I'd probably have a typical soccer-mom bob by now. There are *tons* of people out there who take a lot more supplements than you do. What you wanna do is up to you, but don't stop just because you're worried about what other people think. Educate yourself first, then make your decisions.

I don't think you're going to drop dead -- just make sure that you're not taking too much of something that isn't water soluble or that could hurt you. Don't depend on the opinion of people who don't know what they're talking about. If you're not sure, then google it yourself to find out.

For more info, you can read a board that pretty much talks exclusively about health and supplements. It's an excellent resource for learning about different supplements and you'll probably learn more than you asked for!

http://www.imminst.org/forum/forum/6-supplements/

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 06:51 AM
i still want to cut back on what my parents sent because i don't think i really need them. the hair vitamins are hair skin and nails, prenatal, [recently] biotin, msm, omega 3 and vitamin e.

littlenvy
November 8th, 2010, 07:37 AM
i still want to cut back on what my parents sent because i don't think i really need them. the hair vitamins are hair skin and nails, prenatal, [recently] biotin, msm, omega 3 and vitamin e.
Wow.
As far as I know you should NOT take prenatal unless you are having a baby.
Biotin and msm are non-toxic for most part so you can take those.
Most people don't know this but Omega 3 works best if you take it with Omega 6. By itself its not as useful. You are better off taking the Omega 3-6-9 complex.
Vitamin E you have to watch since its fat soluble and you CAN have too much of it. It has also been shown to effect hormonal levels and skin thinckness. But if you take no more than daily recomended intake (under 400 IU ) you should be ok. Just remember that the prenatals you take already have E in it so you are looking at combined dose.

pepperminttea
November 8th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Wow.
As far as I know you should NOT take prenatal unless you are having a baby.

Agreed. And ditto everything Igor said.

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I only take about 5 drops of E oil a day which is the recommended amount but i can probably just take like 3 drop instead.

missjessiecakes
November 8th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Prenatal are a broad spectrum multivitamin that is good for every woman in her reproductive years. They just slap the prenatal label on because it is especially good for pregnant/planning to get pregnant women.

Anje
November 8th, 2010, 09:51 AM
What's in these "Hair, skin, and nails" vitamins? If it's another complete multivitamin that's biased to add a bit more to benefit hair, you shouldn't take it with the prenatal. Just one or the other for those general multis. If it's something that's meant to be used in addition to a regular multivitamin, great.

Igor
November 8th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I only take about 5 drops of E oil a day which is the recommended amount but i can probably just take like 3 drop instead.

And how many mg is that? Really, that doesn’t give anyone any information to work with! I’m sorry if you think this is harsh, but you’re asking for advice and not bringing any information that can tell us if you’re at a dangerous dose or not.

I really think it sounds dangerous what you are doing here. It sounds more or less random what you are taking and you really, really, really need to add up the doses you are piling on from all your different vitamins. To me it looks like you don’t realise how serious this could be for you when you just list “hair vitamins are hair skin and nails, prenatal, [recently] biotin, msm, omega 3 and vitamin e”. How big doses are these? How many vitamins are “overlapping” from the different vitamins? Do you understand the difference between fat soluble and water soluble?
I’m especially worried about the vitamin E you have added. Single vitamin tablets like this can be very high in doses, usually targeting old people who have problems absorbing the vitamins and need higher doses. Is this on top of (several?) multi vitamins and the prenatal?

Pursuer
November 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I haven't been able to read through all the responses yet, so I am sorry if I am repeating this suggestion. Have you ever seen a documentary called FoodMatters? It is very good.
There's a guy in there that talks about vitamins' role in our bodies. :)

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I will stop the e oil. The bottle of e oil says it has o.25 mL per 5 drops which is apparently 333% daily value. Hair skin and nails has 50% of daily value And prenatal is 100%. Perhaps I can alternate hair skin and nails with prenatal to every other day of each? My super omega 3 says it has fish, flax, and borage oil a.k.a. omega 3, 6, 9 fatty acids. That says there is 33% of E as well. MSM is 1000 mg. biotin is 5000 mcg. I am definitely stoping E oil I didn't realize I had so much e in my other vitamins. I haven't included my multy in this because I honestly don't really take my multi since I have so much.

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Also, my parents insisted on sending me oil of oregano, garlic, 500 mg of C [which is in prenatal and hair skin and nails], greentea extract, and olive leaf. i guess too much vitamin C is the most threatening of all of these extras, and i really feel like i don't need the rest of these since I am on everything else in the previous post. Was I right not to take my multi since I am taking all the other vitamins? I won't take what my parents sent anymore unless anyone thinks I should.

feralnature
November 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I take A, B, C, D, Biotin, MultiVitamin and Minerals, Calcium (tums) and fish oil. I am 54 years old and something else will kill me, not overdosing on vitamins. I am a nurse which helps me determine what I want to take, and how much, for my situation.

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I do think I am taking too many though. I don't feel weird or anything, but the fact that my pill box was filled too capacity made me nervous.

Anje
November 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM
i guess too much vitamin C is the most threatening of all of these extras, and i really feel like i don't need the rest of these since I am on everything else in the previous post. Was I right not to take my multi since I am taking all the other vitamins? I won't take what my parents sent anymore unless anyone thinks I should.
I think you would do well to take a multivitamin, but only take one. When I take additional vitamins and minerals, I still have the multi, but I'm careful about what I add to it.

Too much vitamin C actually isn't a concern at all. Vitamin C is water-soluble, and you'll excrete what you don't need. Many people take large doses of it, feeling that it may help them get over sicknesses. You do need to be concerned with too much of the fat-soluble vitamins. The biggest concerns of all are if you get too much of the active form of vitamin A and too much iron -- both of these are quite toxic if you overdose. (The easy way around vitamin A toxicity is only to supplement it with beta-carotene, which is a water-soluble precursor form that the body can use, while excess can be secreted.)

Other fat-soluble vitamins: Vitamin E -- I think the max. recommended supplement is 400 IU/day from all supplement sources. Vitamin D is rather weird, and the recommended allowance will probably go up substantially in the next few years -- probably to about 1000 IU/day as a maximum supplement for healthy people.

leslissocool
November 8th, 2010, 12:18 PM
You can take the prenatal ones, I took them after I stopped breastfeeding ( I am anemic, and on top of that had alopecia) and was recommended by my doctor. I took b complex and d liquid on top of that (together with biotin and msm but those are pills) and it was fine.

I think, if you are taking the prenatal, you should not take a multi. The prenatal is a multi vitamin.
take b complex (it has biotin, and you can take biotin separate too) or the prenatal and the hair and nails. But that should really be it in my opinion. my doctor did tell me to watch out for too many vitamins.

Edit: anje "I think you would do well to take a multivitamin, but only take one. When I take additional vitamins and minerals, I still have the multi, but I'm careful about what I add to it"

Exactly what I was trying to say! a multi and additional vitamins and minerals, not multiple multi.

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Should i alternate between prenatal and hair skin and nails?

Anje
November 8th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Should i alternate between prenatal and hair skin and nails?
That depends on what's in the "hair skin and nails".

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 12:44 PM
prenatal has A [50%], C [200%], D [100%], E [100%], Thiamin [106%], riboflavin [85%], niacin [100%], B-6 [104%], folic acid [100%], b-12 [100%], calcium [15%], iron [156%], zinc [167%]

hair skin and nails has A [100%], C [200%], D [25%], E [50%], Thiamin [333%], riboflavin [118%] niacin [125%], B-6 [250%], folic acid [50%], B-12 [133%], biotin [1000%] pantothenic acid [150%] , calcium [71%], iron [17%], phosphorus [15%], iodine [75%], magnesium [25%] zinc [50%], selenium [19%], manganese [250%], sodium [<1%], and 3mg of horsetail extract

perhaps i'm taking too much biotin too?

ravenreed
November 8th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I would be far more worried about excess iron. It is not good to take too much, which is one reason that prenatal vitamins are best used by pregnant and nursing women only.

prenatal has A [50%], C [200%], D [100%], E [100%], Thiamin [106%], riboflavin [85%], niacin [100%], B-6 [104%], folic acid [100%], b-12 [100%], calcium [15%], iron [156%], zinc [167%]

hair skin and nails has A [100%], C [200%], D [25%], E [50%], Thiamin [333%], riboflavin [118%] niacin [125%], B-6 [250%], folic acid [50%], B-12 [133%], biotin [1000%] pantothenic acid [150%] , calcium [71%], iron [17%], phosphorus [15%], iodine [75%], magnesium [25%] zinc [50%], selenium [19%], manganese [250%], sodium [<1%], and 3mg of horsetail extract

perhaps i'm taking too much biotin too?

Roseate
November 8th, 2010, 01:12 PM
You definitely don't need to take both of those at once. Too much overlap. Alternate if you want, or just finish one bottle and then on to the next.

The other stuff (oil of oregano/garlic/whatever) that your parents sent is a different kind of supplement- herbal rather than isolated vitamins. It won't conflict with your vitamin regimen, but I don't know that it will help your hair much either.

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Probably Alternating is best. I have one more biotin pill but I don't know if I should take it or not if these already have biotin.

leslissocool
November 8th, 2010, 02:11 PM
That's a lot of vitamin A....

littlenvy
November 8th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I would be far more worried about excess iron. It is not good to take too much, which is one reason that prenatal vitamins are best used by pregnant and nursing women only.
I agree.

Plus, do watch your zinc intake. Its a funny mineral. Not enough and your hair will fall out, too much and your hair will fall out.
If you are taking both pills right now you are getting more than 216&#37; of daily intake and that's not even looking at what zinc you get in your regular food.

I know that parents sometimes get worried about their kids and tend to overdue it in some areas, but in the end YOU are the one that puts these in your body so you have to watch out for yourself. :)
I agree with Roseate, alternate. Make them last longer for you.

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 02:45 PM
So far alternating seems to be the best choice, and chucking the E oil. Should i get rid of the biotin vitamin since biotin is already in the other vitamins?

Anje
November 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I'd skip the biotin, at least on the days you're taking the hair-skin-nails vitamin. No need to chuck it, though. If you go on a normal vitamin that isn't giving you large doses of biotin, you may want to take more, so it's OK to have that bottle around.

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I'm also on a medication that is salt based and requires me to have a blood test to check up on levels. I know it effects my liver and I'm looking up how it effects my iron levels and what not because I'm sure my medication will have something to do with what vitamins I should take or avoid.

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I looked up my medications and it does effect my liver and may cause iron deficiency...So does this mean the extra iron in the vitamins in no longer an issue? Sorry I am always full of questions lol. It also effects the thyroid gland and kidneys. I probably should have brought up the medication factor in the first place really.

Anje
November 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I'd still be cautious of extra iron, to be honest. Probably your best bet is to have blood tests done. If you're anemic, take more (under a doctor's direction!!!!). If you're not, then you probably should avoid going over 100&#37; RDA on iron.

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 03:28 PM
If I still alternate days between prenatal and skin hair and nails, maybe i can cut prenatal in half or something if it seems too strong.

feralnature
November 8th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Remember that what is suggested on this forum by members here is not to be taken in the place of advice from your doctor. If you have further questions, ask him or her.

daaisychains
November 8th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I personally think you should use your own common sense on what works for you, everyone is different you can probably work out yourself which is enough for you.

Just to say i've got your blog bookmarked and have been following you from the very beginning.

Happy growing :)

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I personally think you should use your own common sense on what works for you, everyone is different you can probably work out yourself which is enough for you.

Just to say i've got your blog bookmarked and have been following you from the very beginning.

Happy growing :)

Ahh thank you =]

getoffmyskittle
November 8th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I think you should ask your doctor about all this, especially if you're taking other medications.

jenwexler
November 8th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I called my doctor a few hours ago for a phone appointment, which didn't seem to work out, but I will definitely bring it up.

ravenreed
November 8th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Unless you KNOW you have iron deficiencies right this moment, it is not a good idea to load up on it. You should go over all this with your doctor or pharmacist.

I looked up my medications and it does effect my liver and may cause iron deficiency...So does this mean the extra iron in the vitamins in no longer an issue? Sorry I am always full of questions lol. It also effects the thyroid gland and kidneys. I probably should have brought up the medication factor in the first place really.

Debra83
November 8th, 2010, 11:30 PM
For 20 years I've been researching book after book on vitamins. I take a base of a multivitamin, and on top of that I take E, A, C, D, msm, hair/skin/nails, folic acid, omega 3-6-9, calcium/magnesium, Recovery, Green plus, and I'm too lazy right now to go see what I missed!!! For the last 4 years, I've worked 6 days a week and 5 evenings a week. AFTER my two jobs, I go bowling, do a Bible study, craft nights, play badmington, hang out with my son, and my fiance. In the summer, it's swimming, swimming, swimming and adventures in this beautiful province. Life is short, I don't want to miss out on anything at all. I know I don't eat properly, that's why I supplement. I fixed problems with vitamins too. I have all my organs, and teeth. I'll be 46 in December. Unfortunately, I've been smoking for 29 years (stopped for 6 but started again). My fiance says I have the body of a 25 year old!!! :D

I'm not at all comfortable telling other people what they should take, but I can testify as to what works for me. The biggest thing you have to do is to research it yourself and not just to take things on a whim, or because someone else is. Every body is different, with different deficiencies, and different needs, and each body will also vary their needs at different times. There is no cookie cutter answer for sure.

MClass
November 9th, 2010, 12:28 AM
For 20 years I've been researching book after book on vitamins. I take a base of a multivitamin, and on top of that I take E, A, C, D, msm, hair/skin/nails, folic acid, omega 3-6-9, calcium/magnesium, Recovery, Green plus, and I'm too lazy right now to go see what I missed!!! For the last 4 years, I've worked 6 days a week and 5 evenings a week. AFTER my two jobs, I go bowling, do a Bible study, craft nights, play badmington, hang out with my son, and my fiance. In the summer, it's swimming, swimming, swimming and adventures in this beautiful province. Life is short, I don't want to miss out on anything at all. I know I don't eat properly, that's why I supplement. I fixed problems with vitamins too. I have all my organs, and teeth. I'll be 46 in December. Unfortunately, I've been smoking for 29 years (stopped for 6 but started again). My fiance says I have the body of a 25 year old!!! :D

I'm not at all comfortable telling other people what they should take, but I can testify as to what works for me. The biggest thing you have to do is to research it yourself and not just to take things on a whim, or because someone else is. Every body is different, with different deficiencies, and different needs, and each body will also vary their needs at different times. There is no cookie cutter answer for sure.

What kind hair growth are you getting with this regime?

McFearless
November 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Holy crap you are taking WAY too much Vitamin E. More than the daily recommended dose through the drops, let alone plus the amounts in your prenatal and hair vitamins.

I think you should take ONLY the prenatal until the bottle is done. 5-6 times a week is more than enough. When that is finished start the hair skin and nails. You don't have to take them all at once.

Also that rumour about prenatal vitamins being made for only pregnant women is false.

Good luck and be careful!

shakethatbelly
November 17th, 2010, 08:02 PM
What kind hair growth are you getting with this regime?

i was wondering the same thing...

Demetrue
November 17th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Prenatal vitamins usually have extra iron in them. I would just stick with the Hair, Skin and Nails (which IS a multi -vitamin, so do NOT take another multi in addition to it) Forget the E oil. The Omega 3-6-9 is good and recommended by my dr. The herbal supplements your parents sent you sound fine - some of them are supposed to help with candida and help the immune system.

jenwexler
November 17th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I stopped E oil about 2 weeks ago and I now alternate between prenatal and hair skin and nails. Plus I do think I need a little extra iron from the prenatal.

jenwexler
December 2nd, 2010, 10:16 AM
I have good news and questionable news. I switched to a more natural Hair skin and nails that doesn't have the same vitamins as the prenatal, but more natural stuff in it. That way they don't clash. Since they don't clash, I will be taking prenatal every day instead of every other day unless someone disagrees. I also switched to a higher quality Omega 3-6-9. I have a new MSM as well. The MSM has less of a daily value than my old one but there is MSM in my new Hair Skin and Nails, although it's only 17&#37; so I'm not worried. My new vitamins do not contain Biotin and neither does my prenatal. The biotin I still have has over 1000% of a daily value. I was going to use it every day but now I'm questioning it. I used it every other day before. How many times a week should I take my biotin since the daily value is so high???