PDA

View Full Version : For curlies/wavies who put oil on their hair...

TealDolphin
November 7th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I've heard people say that putting oil on their hair really helps. I was wondering where I could get the oil, and how do you put it on? Like, do you put it on after the shower, or what?

Hotrox
November 8th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I put a good dollop of coconut oil on overnight before a morning hair wash and then about a pea size amount on the ends after shampoo and conditioning, on towel dry hair.

I smooth it down the length from about eats down and it definitely cuts frizz and defines my curls.

I buy it in the grocery store, it often with the other cooking oils!

Dreams_in_Pink
November 8th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I love oils! Last wash i used oil instead of conditioner and it detangled my hair better than conditioner. From the avatar pic it looks like you're fine or medium so be sure to use small amounts, otherwise it might look greasy.

Loreley
November 8th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I wash my hair and after conditioning I put it in a towel. Leave it for a few minutes, than comb it gently with a wide-tooth comb and oil it. I use hair oil, usually 5 drops. Oiling when wet is much more effective for me than oiling dry hair. I tried olive oil and almond oil but they were too heavy and left my hair greasy.

BelleBot
November 8th, 2010, 02:28 AM
I don't have curly hair but partner has 2c tailbone length hair and I seem to look after it all the time.
After he's washed it and it's started to dry I gently detangle it and then oil it. To oil it, I rub a pea sized amount of coconut oil in between my hands to melt it, then smooth it through the ends of the hair whilst slightly damp and then work my way up the length. This way the ends get the most oil, but length also gets a little bit too. I then comb it again, twist the hair together and leave it to dry and this way it forms lovely soft spirals and cuts down on frizz. :)

Amelia
November 8th, 2010, 04:04 AM
When i first start here in the LCH I was using coconut oil the night before the wash. I soon came to realize that my hair wasn't into it. I would get 'limp' hair, and at first i thought it might be because I was using too much, so i tried again with less. I came to the conclusion me and coconut oil just don't go together.

A bit disappointed I bought a bottle of almond oil and this one does work for me. I put in at night and wash the next day. I'm not sure about the detangle factor, but I can say that it has save my ends.

I also have jojoba oil, and i get the same results as with the almond oil. Other times I also use Neem oil (from the Dr.Hauschka line) and this one works wonders as well.
The jojoba oil i put the night before the wash and the Neem the instrutions say to put it on for 20 minutes prior to wash.

When i feel it's needed i add a bit of almond oil to my ends after washing it and it's just a bit humid. My hair doesn't like oil when it's wet- this only leads me to have the famous 'limp' hair I mentioned :p

P.S- I put oil in the length alone. Only rarely i will aply Neem to the whole head(it helps with an itchy scalp).

jojo
November 8th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I put a good dollop of coconut oil on overnight before a morning hair wash and then about a pea size amount on the ends after shampoo and conditioning, on towel dry hair.

I smooth it down the length from about eats down and it definitely cuts frizz and defines my curls.

I buy it in the grocery store, it often with the other cooking oils!

dito to my routine, i also lightly oil daily

Sooze
November 8th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Am still experimenting a bit myself, but I love coconut oil for my locks which are wavy and curly in turns. I apply it as a pre-wash. I sometimes use a teensy bit on my dry hair to tame flyaways.

I've tried jojoba oil as a pre-wash but it left my hair a little too greasy feeling, although I love jojoba as an after-wash de-frizz treatment, applied very lightly to out of control bits.

My hair and olive oil do not appear to be good friends - it left it a bit crunchy feeling, was hard to rinse out even using conditioner as the rinsing agent, and it was dull. Almond oil hardly left any impression at all. :confused:

curlycrocheter
November 8th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I use EVCO and I've recently been using sunflower oil to seal my leave in because they tend to dry kind of crunchy if left alone. I use wheat germ oil and coconut oil in my DC's.

Jojoba oil is too light for me and Olive Oil is too heavy. I have extremely thick/wavy/curly hair and if I don't use oil, my hair will rebel in the worst way possible! I use some kind of oil everyday.

GermanCurl
November 8th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I combine flaxseed gel and argan oil in the palm of my hand and put it on my toweldry hair right after washing. I also put some oil on my dry hair just about every day.

spidermom
November 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
When my scalp area gets oily, I apply coconut oil generously to the length of my hair the day before I plan to wash it. I only apply a little coconut oil to the bottom half of my length after I wash it for protection if I want to blow dry it. I follow that with CHI Silk Infusion (coney serum). If I'm letting it air dry, I don't use oil because it sucks all the lint and dust from a 3-state radius into my hair.

DuckyDot
November 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I use Olive oil Weekly and am looking to find some coconut oil.

I apply a large drop to each side of my hair and then the Under-layers. Then tie my hair up, go about my day, sleep, and wash out in the morning. :)

jeanniet
November 8th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Coconut oil doesn't work well for me, so I only use it in deep treatments on occasion. For everyday use, I use a mix of jojoba, camellia, and argan oils. I oil nearly every day; a couple of drops on my ends. I also use Nightblooming's panacea (on Etsy), and that stuff is wonderful. That plus oil has saved my ends.

sailing
November 8th, 2010, 01:01 PM
If I'm letting it air dry, I don't use oil because it sucks all the lint and dust from a 3-state radius into my hair.

Heheh, my hair seems to do that if I don't oil it! Static cling is horrid. Gimme the oil and cones please!

I use oil (coconut and argan) every day, plus cones. Or I have uncontrolled curly hair temper tantrums that involved putting hands on hips and linking elbows with neighboring strands in order to form the perfect knot while yet staying as far away from other strands as possible.

Which I don't get. Fine, knot up. But could you at least stay near your neighbors??? Or blow up and go all over, but then since you aren't in close proximity to your neighboring strands, could you stop tying yourselves into knots????

Flaxen
November 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM
heidi w.'s Oiling Tutorial (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71). :grin:

Yasmine91
November 8th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Oil is my best friend! LOL

I mostly use castor oil and olive oil in my hair. First I apply it in my scalp and then I drench the rest of my hair in it. I sleep with it on and then wash it the morning after, then as it dries a little I add a little bit of olive oil coz my hair gets so thirsty in general.

My hair comes out so soft and shiny, which is great coz my hair is usually so straw like :P

redneckprincess
November 8th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I oil after showers, on wet hair. Over night or in updos.

liagibba
November 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I use coconut oil after every wash (lightly) and a little more overnight before a CO-wash. I occasionally use jojoba oil to calm the frizz/flyaways during the day. You can find coconut oil in a mason-looking jar in the organic aisle of any good grocery store. I know Indian-specific stores sell it, as well.

Oiling my hair has literally transformed it.

salamander
November 8th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I always oil on wet hair, or it doesn't do a thing. I wet it and heavily oil from the ears down and leave it in overnight, then wash out, whenever my hair strikes me as dry.

My ends tend to get a lot dryer than everything else, just the last couple inches, so I try to wet and oil them every night. I sleep with it in braids, so I just wet down the tassels of the braids and put a bit of oil in them every night. That can show if you wear your hair down, but as long as my hair's going to be up the next day it's fine.

squiggyflop
November 9th, 2010, 08:45 AM
i buy my coconut oil at the shop rite (grocery store) in the ethnic hair care section..

i put it on 2 ways:

before washing=with my hands first and then a horn comb (i reaaaally slather it on thick, and the hair is dry)

after washing when my hair is dry= tiny amount with my hands.. then just the ends by putting a bit on a BBB and gently brushing just the last 5 inches..

Amraann
November 9th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I use mostly coconut oil after a shower on the ends. Just enough to keep in some moisture.

However with it being dry and cold here these past few days I have coconut oil all through my length. It helps keep it from tangling.
Since it is only on the length and ends I can put it in a pony tail and it just looks like the tail is wet.
Or bun it if I have to go somewhere.

If you cannot find coconut oil on the isle with the oils check the health food section of your grocery store. That is where my local store keeps it.

feralnature
November 9th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Buy LouAna Coconut oil in the baking section at Walmart in a large white plastic container.

I use the oil all the time, I have gone through tons of it. I use more than others do here. My hair drinks it because I have some damage near the ends. I use it mainly on dry hair and then the days before I wash my hair, I apply alot, so it will really soak in. I do not work at a job away from home so I can have oily hair if i want to :) Coconut oil is not greasy and does not get on your clothes or funiture. It is clean. I also like to oil my hair down at night and then make a braid to sleep in.

I LOVE COCONUT OIL!

curlymarcia
November 9th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't like oils? OMG, I had tried all kind of oils, even in tiny little amounts (just the tip of my little finger for all my hair) and still I don't like it. Oils makes my hair feel dry and ruined my curls. The only times that I liked was using it before washing, it was ok but not as good as my hair masks. I had tried in dry hair and in wet also. Does anyone have the same problem??? any idea what can I be doing wrong??? maybe my hair is too fine :(

Anne~
November 9th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Jojoba or Coconut oil both work the same for my hair. I only put it on when my hair is dry. I never go without it.
I buy it at I-Herb on line.

Flaxen
November 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't like oils?...

Not at all. Take a look at this poll (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13101) in the archive and the results, Part I (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13254) and Part II (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=28520). :smile:

Vermelha
November 9th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't like oils? OMG, I had tried all kind of oils, even in tiny little amounts (just the tip of my little finger for all my hair) and still I don't like it. Oils makes my hair feel dry and ruined my curls. The only times that I liked was using it before washing, it was ok but not as good as my hair masks. I had tried in dry hair and in wet also. Does anyone have the same problem??? any idea what can I be doing wrong??? maybe my hair is too fine :(

It all depends on what type of oil you use and what consistency. There are oils that are heavier and those that are lighter.

Some curls feel more moisturized when thicker, heavier ones like Shea Butter, Shealoe (Shea & Aloe) and other hair "butters" are applied. Crisco (plain vegetable shortening, not the buttered, flavored kind, that would be crazy!). has even been used by some with curly and kinky hair, and it works pretty well actually. I use it from time to time ;)

Other oils like Coconut and Olive absorb into the hair better. Coconut does dry kind of stiff in the hair. Olive is better for softer hair. Castor is pretty moisturizing too, but it can get sticky. I just use this for my scalp and the tips of my ends, personally.

And yeah, I would say maybe applying it when the hair is wet, which seals the moisture in. Sometimes, you could leave conditioner in and cocktail it with some oil to seal it all in?

HTH!

Sooze
November 16th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I tried a different type of olive oil yesterday - an admittedly much fresher one than my stale bottle that had been hanging round rather a while. Tried that on damp just washed hair, and it was much easier to shampoo out, and it's left my hair feeling fantastic - so soft! I will therefore revise my opinion of olive oil. :)

Tried Argan oil for the first time at the weekend, but wasn't hugely struck - I didn't care much for the smell, and it seemed heavier/stickier than I'd expected.