PDA

View Full Version : Conflicted

KellyGormley
November 7th, 2010, 06:59 PM
To Chop or Not to Chop. Ok i've read my Hamlet book far to many times. Anyway I can't decide what to do I want to grow my hair so badly, however I'm going to have to dye it back towards my natural red because I can't take my brown anymore. So my hair at the ends is pretty damaged and I am experiencing mass amounts of shedding, tangling, and breakage. So the dye will probably not help at all. So should I chop my now almost bsl hair ( im an inch away) back up to right above my shoulders to get rid of the damage after I dye it and the current damage, or will it be savable?
I want to do whatever's gonna be best for hair growth ( healthy hair growth ) progress. Because my hair has only grown an inch now since June / July. Any suggestions on chopping and helping the growth ?

Speckla
November 7th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Go to a hairdresser you trust and talk to them first. Let them examine your hair and give you an honest opinion about what needs to be taken off and if color is what you need. It might be a lot less than you think.

Debra83
November 7th, 2010, 07:03 PM
You could always just dye it with the length, and do lots of coconut and deep conditioners after, and if you feel you think it looks bad, then you could chop. Garnier Fructis Triple nutrition conditioner did a miraculous change in my hair...and it's cone free!

akuamoonmaui
November 10th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I'd talk to a trusted hairdresser, too.

You also mentioned that just the ends are damaged. Maybe just cut them, dye to your natural color and condition like crazy! You're new to LHC - keep reading! You can always try what has worked for others, then if that still doesn't work, make your choice to cut or not.

It takes just a few minutes to cut it off and months to years to grow back. :shrug:

jojo
November 11th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Were talking 2 years growth here, personally id do 1/4" dustings every couple of months and do lots of DC and oilings inbetween. The smallest trim can make the world of difference, id hate to see you upset at cutting back to relatively short hair. Theres lots of articles on here about how to get damaged hair back to healthy hair without having to chop and whatever you do dont do anything for at least 2 weeks.

spidermom
November 11th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Your hair may be breaking off only a little less fast than it's growing. I've been there, and I can assure you that your hair will grow much faster when you get rid of the bad ends that are breaking off. You don't have to do it all at once like I did, though. Other people do things like trim a small amount every month to every other month, and we all end up at the same place in the end - with long, healthy hair.