PDA

View Full Version : Starting Over

Pursuer
November 7th, 2010, 06:15 PM
So, I have been growing my hair out for several years. My hair takes a long time to grow out. To go from just above my shoulders to just below my shoulder-blades, took 5 years, with minimal trimming. I think I trimmed a total of 2.5" in that whole time.

Last year, my now ex-husband left. He's now in jail, awaiting trial for something I can barely even think about most days, let alone type out. My daughter and I have to testify against him, the days in between Christmas and New Years.

So... a few weeks ago, I cut my hair to where my top layer was, just above my shoulders. It felt awesome at first, but in the last few days, when I think of all that gorgeous hair gone, I have to try hard not to cry. I know it's "just hair" and it will more than likely grow back, but.... I actually feel like a little part of me is now missing. Has anyone else felt that way?

Anyway, I am coming back to the forums because I want to start over with my hair. I need to be more vigilant about caring for it and helping it to grow more quickly, if that's possible.

I remember being here some time ago, and reading about bore bristle brushes, coconut oiling, etc. I had picked up on a LOT of the things I read about and implemented them, but I am ready to go all in now.

Excited to learn with you all!

Dolly
November 7th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Try a biotin supplement.....my hair used to grow at a snail's pace, but with biotin, it is much better!

see_turtle
November 7th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Welcome back and good luck getting your hair to where you want it to be!:)

OR Cowgirl
November 7th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Big, big hug!! And welcome back! Life must be very stressful right now for you and your girl so please focus on the fact that you're starting with nice, healthy hair without the layers that many battle. And you have a good length to do some styles that those with longer hair have a much harder time with, like the French Twist!

Mariah

Angel_Abby
November 7th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I just cut mine to right above the shoulders as well. My hair generally grows super fast- but now that I am paying attention to it, I bet it is slow as a turtle!

So sorry about your ordeal with court. :( In the days between Christmas and NewYears I will be hitting the big 3-0.:mad:

I'm heat free and as of my haircut this week, I have only a few inches of hairdye to grow out. My handful of greys sit proudly for all to see!:p I'm also going trim free from now until the end of 2011. I haven't done any oiling. I have a scalp condition that may not do well with it, and I would hate to incite a flare up. :o

What all are you planning on trying first?

Pursuer
November 7th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I just cut mine to right above the shoulders as well. My hair generally grows super fast- but now that I am paying attention to it, I bet it is slow as a turtle!

So sorry about your ordeal with court. :( In the days between Christmas and NewYears I will be hitting the big 3-0.:mad:

I'm heat free and as of my haircut this week, I have only a few inches of hairdye to grow out. My handful of greys sit proudly for all to see!:p I'm also going trim free from now until the end of 2011. I haven't done any oiling. I have a scalp condition that may not do well with it, and I would hate to incite a flare up. :o

What all are you planning on trying first?
I am going to buy a wooden comb and a boar bristle brush. I have coconut oil on hand for my business anyway, so I will be trying that tonight or tomorrow after I read through the tute. :)

Speckla
November 7th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Welcome! I think shoulder is a good restarting point. Long enough to put up and you'll be starting out with healthy hair.

Angel_Abby
November 7th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I am going to buy a wooden comb and a boar bristle brush. I have coconut oil on hand for my business anyway, so I will be trying that tonight or tomorrow after I read through the tute. :)

Let me know how that goes! I have a horn comb, and its awesome. I bought a BBB and its nice and all, but I just don't use it that often. In the past brushes to me were those little plastic nubby nightmare things... and the comb effectively handles that.

But it sure is pretty...sitting there on my bathroom counter. I had a friend 'borrow' my bathroom a few weeks ago and ask why I left my horses brush on the counter.:rolleyes: LOL- I told her it was mine and she asked how I possibly got all the tangles out with that 'thing'. She laughed like crazy when my reply was "Without half my hair ending up on the floor".:D

Pursuer
November 7th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Try a biotin supplement.....my hair used to grow at a snail's pace, but with biotin, it is much better!
That is AWESOME that you mentioned that, because I just ordered Brewer's Yeast for my adrenal fatigue/hypothyroidism/estrogen dominance healing! :)

Woohoo! I really hope it does help with my hair growth. :)

Pursuer
November 7th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Let me know how that goes! I have a horn comb, and its awesome. I bought a BBB and its nice and all, but I just don't use it that often. In the past brushes to me were those little plastic nubby nightmare things... and the comb effectively handles that.

But it sure is pretty...sitting there on my bathroom counter. I had a friend 'borrow' my bathroom a few weeks ago and ask why I left my horses brush on the counter.:rolleyes: LOL- I told her it was mine and she asked how I possibly got all the tangles out with that 'thing'. She laughed like crazy when my reply was "Without half my hair ending up on the floor".:D
LOL... I had to look up what a horn comb is. It looks beautiful! I wonder what the difference between a horn comb and a wooden comb is in how it affects hair. :?

littlenvy
November 7th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Welcome back! And HUGE hugs to you. :)

UltraBella
November 7th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I found the length you are at now to be refreshing. I know you miss the length, but it will grow back. In the mean time, enjoy the hair you do have. With all the other stress you have, don't let your hair become a source of frustration. You can enjoy your hair at all lengths :)