PDA

View Full Version : Washing

shockinglength
November 7th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I've cut down my hair washing from every two days to every 4-5 days. My scalp is alot less greasier now. So will my ends get more dried out because there is less sebum that will travel down the length??

tinti
November 7th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I don't know the scientistic answer, but I don't think so. Every head of hair is different, but I'm washing my hair once a week, and my ends is in pretty good shape and not dry. You could buy a Boar Bristle brush if you feel like distributing the sebum evenly in your hair. Or you could protect your ends by putting a litle drop/scrape of oil on it when you feel like that, and tuck them away in an updo, and that'll do the trick :)

shockinglength
November 7th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Ok thanks!

excentricat
November 7th, 2010, 05:33 PM
The sebum probably wasn't making the journey all the way to the bottom anyway unless you were doing a lot of preening. From my understanding, that's why most of us oil our hair to begin with is because our scalp sebum isn't making the trip.

enfys
November 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Possibly. You might want to use a leave in or a little oil on your ends if you see that happen, or use a boar bristle brush to help distribute the scalp oils more.

If you already do these then. Um. Do them more maybe?

Give it a little while and see what happens. You may not have a problem.

greyTraveler
November 7th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I don't know the scientific answer either ... but my guess is that it will actually be better -- after all, your scalp was producing more oil before -- but I doubt that much of that was reaching your ends (unless you have fairly short hair), because when you washed you washed the oil away.

So you might very well be making more sebum available to your hair, and being kinder to both your hair and your scalp.

Or not --- as I said I don't know any of the science involved here; this is just my intuition.

Capybara
November 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I don't think so. If you do have problems with dry ends, you could add moisture via a SMT, or regular conditioner, and oil your hair to lock in the moisture.

Tiina
November 7th, 2010, 07:48 PM
It is possible. If you are worried about dry ends, give them some love. Moisture treatments, oils, leave-in... whatever works for you. And if you can, try doing scalp-only washes (that is shampoo only the scalp and condition the rest).

ericthegreat
November 7th, 2010, 08:18 PM
It is possible. If you feel that your ends are getting dry, there are two options you can follow.

1. Instead of fully washing your hair with a shampoo or any other cleansing agent, you can simply do a quick water rinse, or WO. Doing water only helps to evenly distribute your natural hair oils down the length of your hair. After your hair air-dries, you can further distribute the oils by brushing out your hair with a BB brush.

2. You can return to washing your hair more frequently, and then follow up with a really rich conditioner. Only concentrate the conditioner towards your ends, leaving your scalp clean. After your hair dries, you can again brush your hair out with a BB brush, or if you want extra protection you can add a tiny bit of oil like coconut or jojoba oil to your ends.

shockinglength
November 8th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I currently CO every 4 days. And pre oil, with coconut oil. Then when my hair is damp I use a tad bit more on the ends.

foggybrooke
November 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I can't seem to go more than 2 days without needing a wash. However, most weeks I go from a wash on Thursday morning all the way until Monday morning. Each night I use my BBB to distribute the sebum. I think it makes a huge difference. By Sunday, I think my hair is a greasy mess but every one who knows my secret swears it just looks wet in my updos. I don't oil and I think this is how I get away with it. Maybe, I will have to oil when it gets longer but it will have to get a lot longer before I think I have to worry about it.