PDA

View Full Version : How do you take a photo of your hair on your own?

Dreamkitty
November 7th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I had my sister take the photo for me, using a digital camera.

I want to take monthly photos by myself, can't keep asking her :D so how do you take a photo of the back of your hair, including all the hair from a good angle?. I see lots of members here with good photos from a nice angle so I was just wondering.

Eire
November 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Does your camera have an automatic timer? If you set it up on a perch then run in front of it, that could work.

Debra83
November 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I take pics in the mirror.

tinti
November 7th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I set my camera on 10 sec timer and put it on a shelf, turn around and fix my hair and then it beeps :) Or I take it infront of my mirror.

Gumball
November 7th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I used to either get someone else to take the photo or use the self timer and set the camera on a shelf. I now have both a tripod and a remote for my camera, so that third option is usually all that's necessary in the end. (Unless I have someone to take the picture, since that's fewer steps! ;))

Angeletti
November 7th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I usually tend to take my monthly length pictures in the mirror, I'll hold the camera on my shoulder and make sure I'm in the picture by using a hand held mirror to see the front of the camera screen. When I want a nice picture with flash I will then usually take a picture with the self timer button.

liagibba
November 7th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I stand in front of my tall mirror and put the camera (facing the mirror) on my head and take shots until I get one that I like. It takes some experimenting with zoom and standing position, but it works out every time. If you use this method, remember to turn the flash off and use some other light (I have a bright hall light that works great).

Lady Mary
November 7th, 2010, 05:27 PM
For front shots, I just hold my arm out in front of me usually. If that doesn't cut it, I'll ask my husband to take them or use a mirror.

jeanniet
November 7th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I set it on a bookshelf in my livingroom (only place with a shelf the right height) and use the 10 second timer. I've tried and tried to take decent pictures in a mirror, and I always end up with a shot of the wall, the counter, my butt, etc. I can never get my head in! :p

clairenewcastle
November 7th, 2010, 05:33 PM
With difficulty.

I hold a mirror in my left hand and the camera in my right hand while standing in front of a large mirror....it takes practise and acceptance of the fact I take more bad, unusable photos than good ones.

spidermom
November 7th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I usually ask someone. It only takes a couple of seconds; I don't think anyone really minds. But if I want to take a picture myself, I turn my back to the big mirror in the bathroom, then I use a hand-held mirror to look at the display on the back of my digital camera. When I get the display I want, snap!

Sanyia
November 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM
With difficulty.

I hold a mirror in my left hand and the camera in my right hand while standing in front of a large mirror....it takes practise and acceptance of the fact I take more bad, unusable photos than good ones.

This is exactly how I do it.

longhairtobe
November 7th, 2010, 08:12 PM
my camera has a timer function on it so i use that. I also take my pictures in the bathroom because my medicine cabinet has three shelfs so i open my medicine cabinet, set my camera either on the middle shelf or my bottom shelf and stand in front of it and snap away!

<3OnHerSleeve
November 7th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I tried doing the mirror but it sucked. Timer and tallboy work much better :)

Madora
November 7th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I use the mirror approach also, except it takes a lot of patience getting the pic just right. Holding my camera (a heavy digital Sony Cybershot) at just the right angle is time consuming, and at times, frustrating.

I also try and set the zoom (or wide angle) lens in just the right position so that the pic will be nice and sharp.

Holding the camera at just the right position, and sometimes your head in another, takes practice!

Length shots (for me) don't turn out that well as my hair is too dark to show detail. I'm also dependent on about a 2 hour time frame when the sun fills my bathroom with light. I don't want to rely on flash and incandescent fixture lighting, although sometimes that's the only recourse.

I have a timer but have not messed with it yet. It would have to be placed on a tripod and I'm not sure if my tripod would work effectively.

frizzinator
November 7th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I make my own updo photos, with my arm extended behind my head.

I look at the photo on my camera and figure out how to adjust the way I'm holding the camera in order to get the back of my head in the shot.

I usually take somewhere between 20 and 30 shots to get a perfect photo, which not only includes the back of my head, but I'm also concerned with the background and the quality of light. The light varys a lot in my photos because I've never learned how to set the camera properly.

TheStorm
November 8th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I have a timer on my camera, set it on a shelf or on top of a stack of something and hit the timer button.

Dreams_in_Pink
November 8th, 2010, 01:54 AM
The easiest way to take a pic of yourself is to use timer. Using a mirror is too tricky (and mirror should be squeaky-clean! LOL)

Loreley
November 8th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I use self timer. Set it to 10 seconds and put it on the shelf. :)

Night_Kitten
November 8th, 2010, 05:07 AM
To take pics of updoes I use the mirror, but to take length shots I started using a timer - much easier and more objective (holding the camera above the head makes the hair look longer than it really is...)

OrangeStripe
November 8th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I use the webcam on my laptop. I have a wireless mouse that I can carry around with me, so I can be as far away and take as long as I want to get into position.

Henrietta
November 12th, 2010, 10:01 AM
When I was at home I used my dad's camera tripod. But now I can't. So:

There's a desk. Chair goes on the desk. 2-3 big dictionaries and books go on the chair. Camera goes on the top of this tower. Make sure it's stable. The less things you use, the more stable it is. That's why I try tu use 2-3 books at max. And they need to be big. Bigger than the camera, so it may lay on them stable.

Then you have to discover "self-timer" option;) And experiment. At the beginning it is possible that you will take a few shots of the wall. Or of the half of your body:D But then you will learn the right places to stand;)

When I do updo photos I just use my stretch arm and I turn my head. It's easier to me that taking photos from above my head. Although still at the beginning I was taking shots of half of my head, floor, door, wall... Now my arm is used to it:) I can somehow "feel" the right position.

Avvoltoio
November 12th, 2010, 10:19 AM
i use my camera with 10 second timer, and take the camera to the wardrobe. of course i need to take more photo while one will be somewhat successful :)

lajsa
November 12th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I use either my webcamera with a timer (which is neat, but it sucks at getting good colours in the photos), or I hold my cellphone camera above my shoulder in front of the mirror, using a handheld mirror to get the right aim. I think the web cam is easier when it comes to length photos, and the cell is better for pics of updos and that kind of thing. But what do I know - I wish I had a better camera :p

skaempfer
November 12th, 2010, 10:56 AM
:doh:
I have been taking one rotten, blurry picture after another in my mirror. All the ones I actually posted in my album were taken by DH.

I feel such an idiot that it didn't occur to me to use the timer! I'll be along to pick up my duh award any time now...

BrightEyes7
November 12th, 2010, 11:01 AM
With difficulty.

Like this. Usually I just give up since half the time it never works out for me! :p

Naphthylamine
November 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Using the mirror needs some skills in my opinion. I too, take a dozen of pictures without being able to center my head in the photo :(
Also other people don't get why I want a picture of my length, and they always take a shot of the half of my hair. Or sometimes it is just the opposite; I have to crop the picture to get the actual image. :mad:
I now use the remote of the camera, which seems to work the best.

DavidN
November 12th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I just use a trusty old tripod, and use the 10 second delay function of the camera.

Robbin
November 12th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks so much for all the great ideas! My spouse is reluctant to take pictures (Or I just always ask at an inconvenient time ;) )

Octave
November 12th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Tried the mirror once and failed. Now I'm using a tripod and set my camera on 10s timer, usually works. ;)

ddiana1979
November 12th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I have two digital cameras, and both have remote controls. I set up on a tripod or on a bookshelf & snap away.

I didn't get the remote controls for taking pictures of my hair though. . . I got them because I like taking pictures of my dbf & I when we're on trips & I'm always too embarrassed or too worried (one of the cameras is an expensive DSLR) to ask someone to take a picture of us. ;)

deko
November 12th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I use mirror.

I'm just lazy to take pictures every month, but I try to take them at least a few times a year. Feeling guilty - I better take some pictures soon...

princess03
February 19th, 2011, 11:08 AM
if your digital cam has a self timer thats your best bet because if you use a mirror the flash will reflect and sometimes depending on your digital cam if theres no flash the clarity might be poor