PDA

View Full Version : I watched my friend donate her hair tonight!

annarose
May 30th, 2008, 06:51 PM
My friend Sharon donated her hair tonight and I was there to watch. I thought you'd all like to see the pics too.

Cops For Cancer is a local Canadian charity and the wigs and proceeds stay in our community, which is why I supported her in this (unlike LOL ). Her beautiful long, thick, natural, chemical free, heat free, hair is going to a good cause :cheese:! She collected $2300.00 in sponsers, not bad!

[images unsuitable for LHC deleted: moderation]
[these sorts of images attract the wrong kind of attention]

She has an incredible growth rate so it will be back in no time. I just wanted to share, I'm so proud of her.

mommy101405
May 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM
All I can say is WOW.

yogachic
May 30th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Shaved. Wow. Now that is generous. Here's to new growth, fast, for her.

annarose
May 30th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Oh yes, her hair grows super fast, possibly more than an inch a month.

Funny thing is, she's never been on here ever but she only uses cone free Suaves, always damp buns, lets it get a bit greasy before pooing, and doesn't wash every day.

I guess sometimes great hair is just common sense. :)

wintersun99
May 30th, 2008, 07:20 PM

naomimcc
May 30th, 2008, 07:26 PM
...the wigs and proceeds stay in our community....

Hmmmm....out of all the cops for cancer events i've covered (I work newspapers) I've never seen mention of wigs at all...Usually they just toss the hair.:confused:

Elainehali
May 30th, 2008, 07:28 PM
WOW she's got guts! (and a good heart to go with it)

Do you know if she's going to grow it out again?

annarose
May 30th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Hmmmm....out of all the cops for cancer events i've covered (I work newspapers) I've never seen mention of wigs at all...Usually they just toss the hair.:confused:

Wow really? I'm not going to tell Sharon this, she was so happy that it was going for wigs for cancer.

Why do they say it then? And why do they insist on it being so chemical free too? They would get alot more people if anyone could shave it and get sponsers.

Elainehali, yes she will grow it out again, and probably donate again in a year or two.

naomimcc
May 30th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Maybe it depends on length? Maybe if its long enough they keep it? Usually they toss it...but I haven't seen anybody with 'long' hair get it done ... maybe the rules are different for 'longer' hair? I hope so!

RavennaNight
May 30th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Wow! its interesting that they took her all the way to bald! If its for a good cause and she did it happily and selflessly then that is a beautiful courageous thing. People with cancer don't want to go bald. For a healthy person to volunteer like that... It takes character. Good deeds don't go unnoticed by whatever benevolent higher power that exists in the cosmos.:)

kwaniesiam
May 30th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Maybe it depends on length? Maybe if its long enough they keep it? Usually they toss it...but I haven't seen anybody with 'long' hair get it done ... maybe the rules are different for 'longer' hair? I hope so!

I'm pretty sure that's the case, longer hair ends up being put to use while the hair that normally wouldn't be in fit condition is just tossed, its more about the hype of doing so and the sponsors. That's awesome that your friend did that. Maybe you could send her our way to join LHC? ;)

manderly
May 30th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Wow, that's fantastic. And yes, it's not just about getting her to cut her hair, but also the money raised by sponsoring her! Awesome. You friend is a gutsy gal.

Cinnamon Hair
May 31st, 2008, 12:07 AM
I got to this thread a few minutes too late to see the pics, but I'm glad she donated to a reputable charity and not LOL.

Question: if the pics attract negative attention, doesn't the thread with key words about cutting and long hair etc attract the same negative attention even without pics? I mean, pics don't usually turn up in google as fast as words.

trolleypup
May 31st, 2008, 12:14 AM
Question: if the pics attract negative attention, doesn't the thread with key words about cutting and long hair etc attract the same negative attention even without pics? I mean, pics don't usually turn up in google as fast as words.
The words don't attract one handed surfers like pictures do.

Saranne772
May 31st, 2008, 01:40 AM
That takes such courage. I know I couild never donate mine!

Tap Dancer
May 31st, 2008, 04:12 AM
I didn't get to see the pics. :(

She raised so much money! Good for her! :D I could never shave my hair off...

annarose
May 31st, 2008, 07:27 AM
Oops, I'm sorry if I shouldn't have posted the pics, I didn't realize.

And one-handed surfers....ewwwww :tmi: !!

justgreen
May 31st, 2008, 08:42 PM
Thank you trolleypup.

gretchen_hair
May 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
There should really be an 800 number hotline for rash decisions like this.
No offense to anyone but a hair suicide hotline

manderly
May 31st, 2008, 09:16 PM
There should really be an 800 number hotline for rash decisions like this.
No offense to anyone but a hair suicide hotline

Where do you get "rash decision" from? She earned $2300 in people sponsoring her to donate her hair. That took effort and time. Nothing rash about it.

I had a friend in high school who organized a blood drive. She vowed that if she got enough donors she would shave her head - and she did, in the middle of the school, with lots of people cheering her on while others were sitting nearby giving blood.

Hair is hair people, something that can be removed and re-grown, and if given selflessly (and not under false pretenses like LoL) it is a great gift.

Cinnamon Hair
May 31st, 2008, 11:05 PM
Where do you get "rash decision" from? She earned $2300 in people sponsoring her to donate her hair. That took effort and time. Nothing rash about it.

I had a friend in high school who organized a blood drive. She vowed that if she got enough donors she would shave her head - and she did, in the middle of the school, with lots of people cheering her on while others were sitting nearby giving blood.

Hair is hair people, something that can be removed and re-grown, and if given selflessly (and not under false pretenses like LoL) it is a great gift.

Maybe I'm wired differently, but I don't understand the excitement of watching someone shave his/her head. It's certainly not a reason for me to donate. I would rather donate to keep his/her hair than be forced to watch it shaved, especially hair that isn't already short (short meaning like the typical men's cut). I have never been fascinated with head shaving, even pre-LHC. :confused:
I would hate to see anyone pressured into shaving his/her head in order to receive donations for a charity.

BJ
May 31st, 2008, 11:12 PM
What's LoL and why is it bad??

And, yeah I'd rather donate the money towards someone keeping awesome long hair. But hey if they want to cut it anyway and can get some money to go towards something meaningful, I guess it's reasonable.

eadwine
June 1st, 2008, 02:50 AM
Just to note something.. we are a minority. Most people around us think it is great that people donate hair AND money to a good cause.

Where do you think all the "wow are you growing it long so you can donate" comments come from which are far more common than the "wow nice hair keep growing" ones? ;)

It IS just that.. it is just hair. No big deal. (for us yeah, but in general? nope)

Amara
June 1st, 2008, 02:54 AM
It doesn't sound like either of the OP's examples were pressured into shaving. If they didn't mind (or even wanted to shave for other reasons!) and it helped them reach their goal of fundraising or charity, then cool!

Toadstool
June 1st, 2008, 03:19 AM
Earning $2300 for charity is fabulous.
My best friend had her hair cut yesterday (not for charity) from hiplength to shoulder length. Because it was annoying her. She does this every year or so. I have found that for most people hair length is not that big a deal.

n3m3sis42
June 1st, 2008, 05:05 AM
Maybe I'm wired differently, but I don't understand the excitement of watching someone shave his/her head. It's certainly not a reason for me to donate. I would rather donate to keep his/her hair than be forced to watch it shaved, especially hair that isn't already short (short meaning like the typical men's cut). I have never been fascinated with head shaving, even pre-LHC. :confused:
I would hate to see anyone pressured into shaving his/her head in order to receive donations for a charity.

I thought that this particular example was more about the OP's friend wanting to show support for people who lost their hair due to cancer treatments in a very symbolic way. And while I can't speak for the motivations of each and every person who sponsored her in this venture, I'd like to assume that at least a majority did it to help her with something she cared about doing rather than due to any excitement specifically related to her shaved head.

Although I feel you--I don't get the general fascination with head-shaving that seems to exist in a large-ish subset of our culture. I just didn't assume that was what was going on in this particular situation. But since I don't know the actual parties involved, I could be completely wrong. ;-)

annarose
June 1st, 2008, 10:02 AM
My friend did this in memory of her Aunt, who passed away from cancer this spring. She said alot of people that donated did mention they had someone in their lives with cancer or that had passed from it. I donated NOT because I wanted to see her shaved ( :eek: ) but because of my own Mom who has cancer.

She is also of the mindset of 'it's only hair, it will grow back'.

And her hair grows super fast anyways, it will be waist length again in no time ;).