PDA

View Full Version : How do I NOT change my hair color?

foggybrooke
November 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM
My hair is all virgin and currently shoulder length. I am trying to grow it for the final time. It is a light brown or dark blonde color with a few silver/white (well-earned) hairs starting to appear (maybe a dozen in total but I am proud of them!).

Since joining LHC, I have been trying ACV, white vinegar and lemon rinses. I love the way they make my hair feel. (We have really hard water, and I read the above named rinses can help cut the hard water.)

I don't want to change my color because I am growing it for the final time and I don't want to find a few years down the road that I want to change my routine but if I do, I will have to grow out the color change. KWIM?

So, white vinegar seemed like the solution but it makes my hair color look so dull.

Someone please tell me something that will work like the above named rinses but not change my hair color!

A little history: When I was younger my hair was always "sun-kissed" with beautiful light blonde highlights. Since I have given up tanning and going out in sun for fear of skin cancer almost 15 years ago, it has just steadily gotten darker. I realized a few months ago the world generally sees me as not quite a brunette but not a blonde either.

It is not that I love my hair color (truthfully I would rather be lighter or darker) it is that I don't want to ever grow out hair color (even naturally colored) and am afraid that if I incorporate something in my hair care routine that will change my hair color now, down the road I will want to change my routine and have to grow it out. (Fear of having to grow a color out or having roots grow in, is why I have never altered my hair color in any way.)

Obviously from my ramblings you can tell I am quite obsessed with this topic and it is close to my heart. My mother has hair that is equal to straw (in color and texture) due to 50+ years of bleaching it blonde. I have become obsessed watching her to learn how to love my natural hair color, even if it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice!

So, any suggestions?

Capybara
November 7th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I don't believe that colour changes due to ACV are permanent. Lemon, I've heard of making hair lighter, but the reddish cast on hair due to ACV seems to disappear, at least on me.

For the record, I've been alternating CWC'ing with CWC/CO wash+ACV. While the washes that include ACV leave my hair a tad coppery (I'm a blonette, my colour seems similar to your description), the redness is gone after the next non-ACV wash.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me :flower: I don't want to steer you down the wrong path!

spidermom
November 7th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I think it takes sun in addition to lemon juice to get a color change, and since you already avoid the sun, I don't think lemon juice is going to be a problem. The vinegar isn't a problem, either. Any color change you see is temporary.

foggybrooke
November 7th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Thank you both so much! You are both LHC members that I admire very much and trust your advice.

I only do a rinse once a week, so I think I will try rotating between ACV and lemon for a little while.

Capybara: Yes, our hair is very much alike in color. I have been waiting for a sunny day to take some photos.

Capybara
November 7th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Aw thank you, foggybrooke, you just made me blush! Glad to be of help!

Tiina
November 7th, 2010, 08:11 PM
If you are afraid of changing colour with vinegar or lemon rinses and do them only because of hard water then you might want to invest in a shower filter.

may1em
November 8th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I buy powdered citric acid, mix a little into some water, and use that.

Dani
November 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Only have a second to post, but maybe you can try using white vinegar instead of ACV. As far as I know, that it what blondes (or blonde/light brown heads, including me) are supposed to use, so we don't get any reddish tints. :)

foggybrooke
November 8th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I liked the shower filter idea. DH says our shower does have a filter but it just isn't good enough! One of these days we will move out of our apartment and into a home where we can do a whole house water filter thingie!