PDA

View Full Version : The Car Headrest Thread

hurricane_gia
May 30th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I searched and couldn't find an existing thread about this so I decided to start one.

I'd love to hear how everyone copes with the car-seat headrest. In the battle between the headrest and your updo, who is winning?

akurah
May 30th, 2008, 07:58 PM
usually the headrest doesn't bother me. There was a radio show, Click and Clack, the Cartalk brothers, where they discussed that, actually.

mommy101405
May 30th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I notice my neighbor keeps a scarf wrapped around her head reast. I don't know if its to keep the hair from frizzing or to keep product off the car seat. Or maybe something else entirely.

talullah
May 30th, 2008, 08:09 PM
The headrest wins, hands down. Either that or I have to turn my head sideways the entire time. :silly: But, yeah, I have to take my hair down or put it in a braid.

yogachic
May 30th, 2008, 08:13 PM
The headrest bothers my hair when up in an updo, almost always. If it bothers me too much, I just take my bun out. I only threw it up there sloppily anyway, so it never takes much to redo it.

RavennaNight
May 30th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I find the car headrest annoying when I wear a sock bun, actually any bun for that matter. The bun is big and bulges out so I can't use the headrest comfortably. If its not a bun tied with elastics, like sock bun, the headrest eventually leads to my buns demise and I find myself fiddling and twisting and attempting between lights to get the hairsticks ( to which I'm still a hopeless noob) to hold my hair once again.

MusingFrog
May 30th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I generally just move the seat back so that the headrest is two inches of so from my head. I have to move the seat back far anyway because my shins hurt if my feet aren't at the right angle from the pedals. Normally it isn't an issue though because my buns are normally pretty small.

frizzinator
May 30th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I've never had a problem with the car headrest, but I have thin hair and a flat bun. The sock bun sounds like a headrest problem, but I don't wear them because my hair is too thin to cover the sock.

I also try to use hair toys that are not too long, because I don't like bumping the top of a hair stick on the door frame.

Teacherbear
May 30th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I put my updo so it doesn't bump the headrest. Otherwise, I'll take out my updo until I get to my destination and put it in.

Curlsgirl
May 30th, 2008, 09:33 PM
OH I HATE THAT! But I must admit the headrest wins if my updo sticks out at ALL. I have learned which styles I can wear with the headrest though, infinity, braid (s) low buns, halfups. When I used to wear claw clips which I can't do anymore those were the WORST! One of my friends said some car (BMW?) has an opening in the headrest for that very purpose! Not that I'll ever have a BMW but well ya just KNOW a woman designed THAT!

sowhat
May 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I currently own 4 cars. 2 of the 4 have integrated headrest seats, the other two have adjustable headrests. The issue for me lies with the headrest adjustability. The 2 that have adjustable headrests and generally don't bother me. The two that don't have headrests that are non-adjustable and are integrated into the seat back. That type is not near as good for non-intrudence. I am 5'10" for reference and my general hairstyle is a mid-height ponytail.

It seems that old Volvos were made to address this issue. Google it and you'll see the weird headrest they've got and how it would be perfect for fancy hairdos.

physicschick
May 30th, 2008, 10:11 PM
If it's a short drive, I just tilt my head forward so that my bun and the headrest aren't in the same place at the same time. It's comfortable enough. If it's a long trip, I wear a braid.

velvetcat
May 30th, 2008, 11:39 PM
The headrest never bothers me. I've noticed other women driving, and most seem to lean into their seats, resting their heads on the headrest.
I have my seat upright enough to support my back, but I sit up straight and do not lean into the seat. My head does not come into contact with any headrest, no matter what vehicle.

Now, the material falling down from the roof of the car, that bothers me. It's always mussing my hair. I know I need to fix it...but I'm lazy.

Masara
May 31st, 2008, 12:54 AM
If I'm driving, I don't rest my head on the headrest at all. I'm like Velvetcat, I have to sit straight up while driving. Plus at 5ft tall, the buldge on a headrest is somewhere above my bun.

Yesterday I wore a Chinese bun and the ends of the stick caught a couple of times on the seat when I turned my head to look behind but that was all.

Cinnamon Hair
May 31st, 2008, 01:01 AM
I third Velvett and Masara's comment about sitting straight when driving. Usually the only time I have trouble is when I'm at an on-ramp or yield and have to turn my head waaayy to the left to check for oncoming traffic...then sometimes my sticks will bang against the seat and it's downhill/loose/droopy and/or pulling in odd places from then until I redo my style. This doesn't happen very often though, infact less now than it has in the past. Maybe I'm adjusting for it unconsciously. hmm

Saranne772
May 31st, 2008, 02:42 AM
Headrest and hair down= hat hair. OR maybe I should say Headrest hair
Headrest with hair up= hair sticks in head.

LOL

BittSweetCherry
May 31st, 2008, 03:31 AM
Ugh, I was wondering about this. With my no-longer-used flat chignon it wasn't a problem, but any sort of conventional bun or roll with clips, pins, sticks or otherwise are becoming mightily annoying. I'm yet to come up with an agreeable compromise.

FYI, someone ran into the back of my car just before the New Year (I was the passenger) at moderate speed. Both cars were able to drive away safely, but the impact was enough to shatter my claw clip as it was crushed between my scalp and the headrest. And I still have a whiplash injury *sniff*. According to my physio, the failure to impact against the back- and head-rests in a stable (sitting upright) position because of the huge lump behind my head added to the injury. A deviation of an inch or two from the correct alignment can really strain your neck on impact - my chin was halfway tucked into my chest :(

blue_nant
May 31st, 2008, 08:57 AM
I generally just move the seat back so that the headrest is two inches of so from my head. I have to move the seat back far anyway because my shins hurt if my feet aren't at the right angle from the pedals. Normally it isn't an issue though because my buns are normally pretty small.

I move the seat back, too. My infinities made of my braid can be put up (again) very easily, but are usually flat enough to not bump the head"rest."

I heard the Click and Clack show about headrests and long hair. Though I enjoy the show, they were dismissive in that show. They discuss allowances for folks preferences, but weren't really interested in this question.

Speedbump
May 31st, 2008, 09:25 AM
The headrest wins. :lol: There are certain updos that I won't wear in the car, because when I think about getting into a fender-bender and my head snapping back against the headrest...well, sometimes I get nasty "hair toy into the skull" images. :puke: :lol:

Braids are my friend! Even ficcares can be uncomfortable in the car for any length of time. And certainly on planes they don't work well either (an even bigger, higher headrest there).

So yeah, the headrest issue has dictated braids. But so has the "really heavy hair" issue and the "sensitive scalp" issue. Apparently I'm doomed. :wacko:

squiggyflop
May 31st, 2008, 10:23 AM
the headrest messes up my hair no matter what i do.. i dont lean foward because i have a bad back and if i lean forward i feel more of the cars movement causing me large amounts of pain.. i would rather have bad hair and be in less pain (i wont ever be pain free)

lilalong
May 31st, 2008, 10:27 AM
I don't have a car, which solves the problem entirely.

eadwine
May 31st, 2008, 10:41 AM
:lol: lilalong

My car and I get along just fine, headrest and all. It doesn't come up against my head at all.

atlantaz3
May 31st, 2008, 11:33 AM
OH I HATE THAT! But I must admit the headrest wins if my updo sticks out at ALL. I have learned which styles I can wear with the headrest though, infinity, braid (s) low buns, halfups. When I used to wear claw clips which I can't do anymore those were the WORST! One of my friends said some car (BMW?) has an opening in the headrest for that very purpose! Not that I'll ever have a BMW but well ya just KNOW a woman designed THAT!

It was actually a Volvo and it had a split in the head rest for the pony tail to go through. Yes the car was designed by women for women.
Now my BMW convertible the seat is all one piece but high like a headrest and yes I fight with it often. Claw clips unless flat like for a french twist just don't work for me. Chop sticks I worry about scratching the leather - not to mention losing a stick if the top is down. I just try to make a low pony tail and keep it away from the seat belt!

Anje
May 31st, 2008, 01:10 PM
When I'm driving, my head normally is a few inches away from the headrest, so with any reasonably flat bun (mostly anything I do with my thin-side-of-normal hair) I don't have issues on short rides. Hairsticks can interfere with turning my head a bit, but I make it work on short trips.

Longer rides, particularly where I'm a passenger, tend to mean braids.

blue_nant
May 31st, 2008, 02:28 PM
I don't have a car, which solves the problem entirely.

LOL that would be good, but not everyone can do that. :-)

I look forward to when I can!

dancingbarefoot
May 31st, 2008, 02:36 PM
I don't see how sitting up straight would prevent the problem? :confused: I sit up straight when driving too (my seat is set to be as close to 90 degrees from the floor as I can get), but updos still get in the way.

If I'm sitting up straight and my head is in alignment with my body, then the updo sticks out quite far beyond my back, and so any headrest will get in the way, no matter how straight the seat is adjusted. I either have to have a braid or loose hair in the car.

hurricane_gia
May 31st, 2008, 02:51 PM
The headrest never bothers me. I've noticed other women driving, and most seem to lean into their seats, resting their heads on the headrest.
I have my seat upright enough to support my back, but I sit up straight and do not lean into the seat. My head does not come into contact with any headrest, no matter what vehicle.

If I'm driving, I don't rest my head on the headrest at all. I'm like Velvetcat, I have to sit straight up while driving. Plus at 5ft tall, the buldge on a headrest is somewhere above my bun.

Yesterday I wore a Chinese bun and the ends of the stick caught a couple of times on the seat when I turned my head to look behind but that was all.

I third Velvett and Masara's comment about sitting straight when driving.

Ya'll must have different kinds of cars than I am used to, because what I drive always has these very ergonomic seats that are designed so you have contact with the seat back from your tailbone to the tops of your shoulders. I could, I suppose, jutt my head forward but that would hurt my neck after a while. When I sit in my seat the way my piano teacher taught me to sit (:D) my head hovers about half an inch away from the head rest. Which is fine if my hair is down or in braids, but not so good if I have a two-inch thick bun!

Also, I live in a hilly area, and if I didn't have contact with the back of my seat I would always be sliding around on the hills . . . one minute with the foot on the pedal and the next minute, sliding away from it! :p I'd have to hang on to the steering wheel to keep myself from falling backwards.

I have a mental image now of Marian Ravenwood sitting on the side of the river holding just a steeringwheel . . .

hurricane_gia
May 31st, 2008, 02:54 PM
Ugh, I was wondering about this. With my no-longer-used flat chignon it wasn't a problem, but any sort of conventional bun or roll with clips, pins, sticks or otherwise are becoming mightily annoying. I'm yet to come up with an agreeable compromise.

FYI, someone ran into the back of my car just before the New Year (I was the passenger) at moderate speed. Both cars were able to drive away safely, but the impact was enough to shatter my claw clip as it was crushed between my scalp and the headrest. And I still have a whiplash injury *sniff*. According to my physio, the failure to impact against the back- and head-rests in a stable (sitting upright) position because of the huge lump behind my head added to the injury. A deviation of an inch or two from the correct alignment can really strain your neck on impact - my chin was halfway tucked into my chest :(

I am so sorry to hear of your wreck!! I hope you feel better soon.

I was recently in a wreck that ended in whiplash for the woman driving in front of me (I was technically at fault, but I blame the hail storm). It totalled my truck.

I remember thinking at the time that if I'd had my hair in a bun instead of the braids it was in, I might have gotten injured.

Cinnamon Hair
May 31st, 2008, 02:57 PM
I don't see how sitting up straight would prevent the problem? :confused: I sit up straight when driving too (my seat is set to be as close to 90 degrees from the floor as I can get), but updos still get in the way.

If I'm sitting up straight and my head is in alignment with my body, then the updo sticks out quite far beyond my back, and so any headrest will get in the way, no matter how straight the seat is adjusted. I either have to have a braid or loose hair in the car.

The seat shouldn't be straight, just your back. I keep my seat at a comfortable angle, but I sit straight. My updos just barely miss the headrest though, usually I can feel them brushing against it at times.

Anne~
May 31st, 2008, 02:59 PM
Now, since the price of fuel sucks, I might start driving my horse and buggy. No problem there...my buggy seat is not that high! :rolleyes:

But.... in a car or truck and I wear my hair in a bun almost always. Short drives like going to work I hold my head forward a bit more. If I am driving from Ohio to Omaha Nebraska (12 lovely hours) I wear my bun up higher so it is not hitting.

flapjack
May 31st, 2008, 04:03 PM
When that happens, I will get annoyed and then at the next redlight, I will adjust the seat backward a bit. My bun sticks out pretty far so it can be really aggravating. If the seat is reclined a little and I sit up, it's okay.

Mely
May 31st, 2008, 04:10 PM
I usually only drive short distances and don't lean back against the head rest, so its not a problem. On long trips I wear a braid.

For me, the greater problem is what to do when sitting in a recliner at home, as I am doing right at the moment.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/melykin/meandpuggies.jpg

Forever_Sophie
May 31st, 2008, 04:10 PM
Usually the headrest wins. I supply at a daycare where the kids love to touch my hair...I see where their hands go throughout the day so putting my hair up is not a choice :p I'll deal w/ the headrest to and from this place to save my hair from their hands!

In fact, I don't like wearing my hair up generally, so it takes a lot to put it up AND deal w/ the headrest LOL

Alun
May 31st, 2008, 04:31 PM
With my fine/thin hair I doubt I would have a problem with at least a low bun, hypothetically. There is a small gap below my headrest, as it is supported at the two sides, but is otherwise solid. I don't wear a bun, though, but I find that a ponytail catches on the headrest when I turn my head, which is annoying.

Masara
June 1st, 2008, 03:51 AM
Ya'll must have different kinds of cars than I am used to, because what I drive always has these very ergonomic seats that are designed so you have contact with the seat back from your tailbone to the tops of your shoulders.

I drive a Twingo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Renault_Twingo.jpg). The seat isn't very adjustable. I have it as far upright as possible, but my back is only in contact with it until about the bottom of my shoulder blades. From there upwards, the seat seems to tilt back and I keep going straight upwards.

My husband's scenic has a more ergonomic and ajustable seat. But I still part company with it before my shoulders.
Both being "monospace" cars, the seat is very upright.

I think the fact I'm below average height also means my buns don't get caught on headrests. Most of them actaully rest on the top of my head. If I did a very high bun, then maybe that would be a problem