PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Juice?

Shorty89
March 11th, 2008, 08:18 PM
My friend bought some drinks from a local Asian supermarket. One of them was something called Coconut Juice. We both tried it and it tastes pretty awful. I took it on the off chance that it'd do something for my hair. I know some here do coconut milk soaks. Should I just toss the stuff or put it on my hair?:p

ChloeDharma
March 11th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Could you be talking about coconut water? It's inside the coconut and can be drunk straight from it with a straw. I find it quite disgusting to be honest but its very healthy to drink for preventing dehydration.

For hair use i don't really know.....although it contains nutrients so maybe it does something.

Shorty89
March 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
It's called coconut juice, not water, so I'm not sure. That is possible. It's clear like water with little bits of coconut in it.

ktani
March 11th, 2008, 08:33 PM
According to this
http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/coconut_water.htm

coconut water is coconut juice - this link has the nutritional facts.

As for putting it on your hair? I doubt if it would do any harm - there would definitly be less oil in it than coconut milk or cream - but you could give it a try.

While the water may be alkalinizing to the body, the pH is actually acidic - so no harm to your hair but no fat content - oil, either.
http://coconutboard.nic.in/tendnutr.htm

longhairedfairy
March 12th, 2008, 06:43 PM
If it has bits of coconut in it you may need to strain it first, since those might be annoying to try to rinse out. I can't imagine putting it on your hair would do any harm. Let us know what the results are if you try it:)

Shorty89
March 12th, 2008, 07:33 PM
No luck on trying it out. My roomate thought it was soemthing gone bad and dumped it down the drain. Ah well, maybe I'll buy it sometime and try it out. It's pretty cheep.

Mahars
March 12th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Oh that's a bummer that the canned stuff doesn't taste good. I remember drinking it fresh in Hawaii. They would hack off the top of a coconut and stick a straw in. It was the most refreshing tropical drink for a hot day at the beach. I haven't been able to find it here though.

jennraq
September 20th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I had some very good coconut juice in Hawaii, but I can't find any substitute on the mainland of US. But coconut water is taking off on its popularity.

PrincessBob
September 20th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Shorty, just send it my way! ;) I love coconut drinks with young coconut chunks or jelly. I have had a few hat were gross, but most are just yummy-yummy to me. I would skip putting it in your hair, unless you are prepared to have tons of sugar syrup needing long rinsing. Most coconut juices or coconut drinks are full of added sugar (these are my idea of a soda-like occasional treat). I also like to drink unsweetened coconut water in place of gatorade, but some brands taste downright soapy.

meteor
September 20th, 2014, 07:09 PM
I've used coconut water in a final rinse and in a spritz/toner for skin. It's a bit like diluted honey rinse maybe... What I like about coconut water is that it's mildly acidic and I think it's OK in a rinse if you don't like drinking it. :)

DweamGoiL
September 21st, 2014, 03:53 PM
They have fresh coconut water in the US; just mostly where you find ethnic markets. Here in NYC, along the on-ramps on the highways in the Bronx, they sell it. They keep the coconut iced in cooler and then take a Machete and chop off the top, stick a straw in it, and you can drink it. If you enjoy the pulp, they will make a spoon (rudimentary scraping device) so you can eat the meat inside the coconut. In an unripened coconut, it's more like a thick jelly. I am sure they have it in other areas as well where they have a high Caribbean population.

I've never had it out of a can, but I can't imagine it being anything good...eeewww!