PDA

View Full Version : Do you measure your hair or does someone do it for you?

Dreamkitty
November 7th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Was wondering if the majority of us measure hair on our own (hair diameter & length) or do you have someone else measure it for you?

Is it more accurate if someone else measures?

My sister measured my hair length, I was a bit paranoid at first if whether she was doing it correctly, since she is not bothered with measuring and I have to bribe her to do it.:D I might get her to measure my hair diameter. But for some reason I feel better measuring my own hair.

smileycat
November 7th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I measure it myself none too accurately. I ask my sweetie to measure it for me once a month.

Carolyn
November 7th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I measure it myself. It's not that hard for me to do. I wouldn't dream of letting anyone know I measure my hair.

missjessiecakes
November 7th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Both. If I keep getting a different measurement DF will break the tie. :)

StarryNight
November 7th, 2010, 12:42 PM
My boyfriend measures for me. He was a carpenter, so I trust him to measure as accurately as he can.

freckles
November 7th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Usually I ask DBF to help me measure.

redneckprincess
November 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I do most of the measuring myself, sometimes I have my 13 year old Daughter help and once in a great while I can get my hubby to quit laughing and read off a measurement for me.

mira-chan
November 7th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I generally ask my mother to help me measure. It's just a bit less acrobatic to do so, that's all.

Speckla
November 7th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I sometimes get help from my husband or son. I will remeasure myself if the numbers seem too off.

Capybara
November 7th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I, too, will get my sister to help me measure if she's available. Other than that, I'll measure myself. My measurements aren't the most accurate, which is why I go more by body milestones than how many inches there are :) Also, I'm currently on a "retire your ruler for 90 days" challenge - haven't measured since August. I will be the one measuring later this month, though.

Avvoltoio
November 7th, 2010, 03:14 PM
i masure myself, i think the accuracy is better if always the same person measure it.

see_turtle
November 7th, 2010, 05:44 PM
My boyfriend does it for me...grumbling all the while. He prefers my hair in a bob. He always sighs dramatically and makes some comment about how we just did it...when its actually been 3 months!

tinti
November 7th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I measure it myself, I think that's easier then asking my dad or my sister:)

Angeletti
November 7th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I measure it myself, my hair is at an easy length where I can just hold on to the tape measurer while it's against my hair and bring it around in front of my face to see where it's at.

spidermom
November 7th, 2010, 05:54 PM
My daughter used to do it, but the results weren't consistent. Some months, it looked like I LOST length. Now I just have somebody take a picture, and I look for growth with that.

MissManda
November 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM
It took me a lot of practice to get it right but I measure my hair myself. DBF would be a bit weirded out if I asked him to do it for me.

<3OnHerSleeve
November 7th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I measure hair myself, but I'm starting to go with the picture every month idea. problem is, curly hair doesn't show growth in pictures from monthly shots, it's more likely to show every 6 months or so

Henrietta
November 12th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I measure my hair on my own but I am sure I don't do it accurately. Not because I want to cheat. I cannot really cheat myself, never. But It's hard to work with your hands behind your back:D

Sometimes I ask my grandma to measure my hair for me. She cheats:D I know that she knows that I want to have long hair so she always tells me that it's longer than it really is.

aenflex
November 12th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I use photos to measure, and the BF takes them (albeit begrudgingly).

Lianna
November 12th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I measure myself, people think I'm hair paranoid enough.

Marjolein
November 12th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I measure myself and repeated measurements never differ more than 1 or 2 millimeters for me. I have one of these flexible tape measures used for sewing. I place the zero-line on my forehead and flip the length over my head. Then I grab a chunk of hair from my crown, make sure the tape measure is contained in my hand together with that strand, and slowly (and tightly) move my hand down the strand, smoothening (sp??) the hair as I go down. When I'm almost at the end of the strand I look where most of the hairs end and call that my new length.

Sorry, a bit vague due to second language problems, but I hope you get the idea :)

growing2shine
November 12th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I do it just like Marjolein. :D

It's not hard for me, but I do often forget it. My plan was to measure every time I take a length shot (every second month) but I almost always forget to. :)

Embrace1913
November 12th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Every time I attempt to measure my hair I fail miserably lol :rolleyes: I've been meaning to get my mom to measure mine with a tape measure but we just haven't done it yet. . .

KittyLost
November 13th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I measure my own hair, only because I'm too embarassed to ask someone to help me! I don't really know anyone who shares my hair obsession haha.

svehex
November 13th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Same here KittyLost :) My first measurements were estimations though, because I was at work. I'll do them right tonight.

Masara
November 13th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I measure it myself. I don't want to have to explain to people why I need it measured. it's not worth the hassle.
I just lay the tape over my head and check with a double mirror. It's not the most accurate way of doing it, because my hair can be more or less wavy depending on too many factors. But it gives me an idea how long it looks from behind.

princessp
November 13th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I measure myself too.

TinaDenali
November 13th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I measure it myself, unless DH is right there. Then I'll ask him :D

Raventresses
November 13th, 2010, 10:56 AM
it's pretty easy to do yourself if you have a sewing tape measure, if not you can always use a string and then measure the string....

Armelle
November 13th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I do it myself. Every other human I know thinks it's beyond weird and my cats have yet to grow opposable thumbs to hold the measuring tape! :D

svehex
November 13th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Same here KittyLost :) My first measurements were estimations though, because I was at work. I'll do them right tonight.

My measurements have now been updated. Goal is 40+ (I'll grow it as long as it wants to grow).

Night_Kitten
November 14th, 2010, 05:17 AM
My mom helps me measure, it's more comfortable and accurate than if I try myself :)
I'd never ask anyone else though - my dad wouldn't understand, and my brother would laugh himself half to death over it...

ooo
November 14th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I measure it myself. It's not that hard for me to do. I wouldn't dream of letting anyone know I measure my hair.

same here :( I'm rather unhappy about it thought.

Avital88
November 14th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I measure myself too and usually repeat 3 times to see if i get the same measurements:p I measured last week 31"

MinderMutsig
November 14th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I'm at that awkward stage right now where I can't reach the ends of my length when they hang straight down (overhand or underhand) so right now my DH helps me measure.
I can imagine I'll do it myself when I'll be able to reach them again as my hair grows though, unless of course if he wants to keep helping me. ;)

Kyaatje
November 14th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Well I asked my hubby to do the measurements thinking it would be more accurate then my own ... but apparently I was mistaken !
:p

trolleypup
November 14th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I measure myself and repeated measurements never differ more than 1 or 2 millimeters for me. I have one of these flexible tape measures used for sewing. I place the zero-line on my forehead and flip the length over my head. Then I grab a chunk of hair from my crown, make sure the tape measure is contained in my hand together with that strand, and slowly (and tightly) move my hand down the strand, smoothing the hair as I go down. When I'm almost at the end of the strand I look where most of the hairs end and call that my new length.

Sorry, a bit vague due to second language problems, but I hope you get the idea :)
Perfectly clear! That's is essentially the method I use when I measure my hair (or someone else's).

littlestarface
November 14th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I go by body parts much easier for me as I dont have a tape measure.

Cirafly24
November 14th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I measure my own hair with a tape measure...pretty much the same way as Marjolein. If I asked my fiance to do it, he would probably laugh at me. That reminds me...I haven't measured in about 3 weeks. Better get on that!

lhangel9
November 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM
Someone else does it for me. It seems like each time I try to measure it, I keep getting different lengths. :confused:

Forever_Sophie
November 21st, 2010, 02:26 PM
I've never measured, I just look out for "milestones," i.e. BS length, waist...