PDA

View Full Version : putting shampoo on dry hair?

may1em
November 7th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Moderation: youtube video link removed, NSFW, target audience may be ****** market

I stumbled upon this video on YouTube, and I'm thinking of trying this out. CO sometimes works better on dry hair, so maybe there's something to this. She does seem to wad her hair up a bunch, but there's no reason to follow suit. It also looks like you could start the washing process at the sink, making your shower shorter.

Thoughts?

ETA: Vid possibly NSFW (there is an empty text bar covering swimsuit regions) Mods remove if necessary.

Sunny_side_up
November 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Interesting! Thanks for posting it. I have never washed my hair this way. Sitting here with a load of shikakai oil on and be going to the shower in a mo, so maybe give this a go. I use SLS, always have made sure my hair is soaking wet before any shampoo is applied, just the way i'm used to!:p
I hear people say at work when you put liquid handsoap on your hands make sure they are wet first as on a dry hand can result in dry skin, so may dry hair out a bit more?! Though either way the soap/shampoo gets diluted once the water gets on it.
I can imagine my hands feeling dryer after finishing this whole process. For me a shower is to be in and out. May test it out with a SLS free i have sittin by my shower too!

jenwexler
November 7th, 2010, 09:46 AM
What are the benefits?

Sundial
November 7th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Her shower was still running throughout! :rolleyes:

She did seem to use alot of shampoo though. Is there some reason why you would want to try using shampoo on dry hair? (Just trying to understand your rationale for wanting to try this out :D) I find that shampoo diluted with water works more easily through hair and it still cleans well.

may1em
November 7th, 2010, 09:54 AM
She claims that it cleans her hair more thoroughly - maybe that means it would strip it. But she also says it allows her to stretch washes. I don't generally use SLS because it makes my scalp unhappy, so I'd be using something gentler. I'm all for being able to wait longer, though - as it is I wash my hair twice a week, but getting closer to once doesn't sound too bad.

jenwexler
November 7th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hmm well sulfate free definitely wouldn't hurt for this so that's nice. And I don't know about the conditioning part. I do my shampoo first of course, but I like to leave in the conditioner while I go on with my other business in the shower. In fact, I used to cover up my hair with a shower cap to lock in the heat of the shower while I have the conditioner in, but my new shower cap has a velvet lining and I don't want to ruin it. As long as the conditioner doesn't touch the water while i do my routine, I don't see an issue really. When I rinse it out I run my head under the water a few seconds without using my hands to force out the conditioner. Sorry to get into detail lol

twopoints
November 7th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Personally, I think that it'll just make it harder to lather and harsher to hair.

enfys
November 7th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Firstly. She is topless. This is NSFW.

Secondly I saw a lot of rubbing and manipulation that would easily damage a lot of people's hair. Maybe she needs to do it to get all the build up out from applying and leaving conditioner on her scalp.

I will stick to doing CWC with a diluted shampoo shaken into a lather. I get more foam than her, quicker and with less shampoo. And less water.

Sunny_side_up
November 7th, 2010, 11:12 AM
felt the shampoo cutting through the oil in my hair, washed it twice -though thats due to the oil coating:D felt squeaky clean, which i've heard isn't necessarily great!
Anyways covered my hair in conditioner and got on with other bits in the shower (sit in the bathtub because there is no shower wall attatchment) Doesn't feel like any harm done. My hair feels nice... But this is down to me feeling nice and fresh and also used my favourite conditioner again unlike last time used a really cheap economy one which i wont continue with:rolleyes:
Maybe its the idea that in winter when you want to avoid feelin chilly with a wet body latherin your hair, this way means you are ready to hit the shower. i warm my small bathroom up before entering anyway.

This whole exercise has made me much more aware of my water use. Next time i will soak my hair as normal though, because massaging dry hair with a SLS for me is bringing about thoughts of it getting dry. Stick to massaging with oils me thinks.

trolleypup
November 7th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Firstly. She is topless. This is NSFW.
Well, being topless isn't necessarily NSFW, however, in this case, it is. I don't think the point of this video is hairwashing tips though. :hmm:

enfys
November 7th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Well, being topless isn't necessarily NSFW, however, in this case, it is. I don't think the point of this video is hairwashing tips though. :hmm:

I saw knee poles several times. :o Until I saw them I didn't know if she was wearing a bandeau top which would have been fine, but every time she raised her arms I saw knee poles. I just didn't want to go through explaining "knee poles" on a public part of the thread :p

I thought I'd better warn anyone who might be watching it that wouldn't want to see that!

ETA: I just figured it out after I saw the note that there is (was?) a bar. I didn't see that, and watched the video through the YouTube app on my phone. Maybe that changed the video settings or something? I saw bits I shouldn't see on youTube, and no bar, but the bar is there on Firefox. Odd.

may1em
November 7th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I saw knee poles several times. :o Until I saw them I didn't know if she was wearing a bandeau top which would have been fine, but every time she raised her arms I saw knee poles. I just didn't want to go through explaining "knee poles" on a public part of the thread :p

I thought I'd better warn anyone who might be watching it that wouldn't want to see that!

ETA: I just figured it out after I saw the note that there is (was?) a bar. I didn't see that, and watched the video through the YouTube app on my phone. Maybe that changed the video settings or something? I saw bits I shouldn't see on youTube, and no bar, but the bar is there on Firefox. Odd.

Really sorry about that - I watched in on Safari and didn't see anything a tube top wouldn't cover. So sorry to have knee-pole bombed anyone. Also sorry about the possible ulterior motives - sometimes I'm judgmentally impaired in the morning.

trolleypup
November 7th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Really sorry about that - I watched in on Safari and didn't see anything a tube top wouldn't cover. So sorry to have knee-pole bombed anyone. Also sorry about the possible ulterior motives - sometimes I'm judgmentally impaired in the morning.
Different settings in youtube show or don't show the bar.

And no worries, LHC is a community, so if you miss something, someone else will catch it.

enfys
November 7th, 2010, 12:20 PM

No worries.

Even if you had knee-pole bombed me :lol: I didn't for a moment think it was on purpose or to promote the other thing :shudder:

When I saw the video on Firefox there was the big wide bar you obviously saw up to her neck, but on my app there was nothing.

I still don't think it's a good washing method to use long term :p

may1em
November 7th, 2010, 12:30 PM
No worries.

Even if you had knee-pole bombed me :lol: I didn't for a moment think it was on purpose or to promote the other thing :shudder:

When I saw the video on Firefox there was the big wide bar you obviously saw up to her neck, but on my app there was nothing.

I still don't think it's a good washing method to use long term :p

Heh. Probably not. On second thought, I might save it for if my blender shot pesto or something into my hair. Or if a bird used my head as a toilet.

My "routine" is all over the place at the moment because I'm trying to use up my stash so I can reward myself with new stuff!

enfys
November 7th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Me too! I have far too much stuff. I've been using SLS free shampoo to wash my decorating brushes just to get rid of it. I've even been using cones for both C's when I CWC; something I would not usually do.