PDA

View Full Version : does anyone suggest daily overnight oilings

gotzbrainz
November 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM
trying to fix very dry damaged hair, wondering if coconut oilings every night will make a dramatic difference. what else can make a dramatic difference:rolleyes:

littlenvy
November 7th, 2010, 09:23 AM
NO. I would not recommend that at all. Too much of a good thing is not good either. 2 to 3 times a week is more than enough.

You can use just a little bit every night, but really a little.

misstwist
November 7th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I did daily or near daily oiling with the coconut oil when I first switched away from cones and discovered how dry my hair really was.

I do think it helped quite a bit.

I was washing every other day at that point. I think I was oiling at night and washed in the morning.

I wore a ponytail or braid on the non-wash day because my hair was "heavy." Looked a little bit greasy? My scalp didn't look greasy but it did look like my hair was a bit damp, I guess.

gotzbrainz
November 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM
i do need to start washing my hair less often but i think the oil really helps i just didnt know if its safe to do and what others have experienced doing this. my hair is in lots of layers so i cant braid it yet. its apl and im trying to grow it even though i have recently bleached the crap oout of it and had to trim it a few times.

enfys
November 7th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I oil my hair most nights with coconut or grapeseed. Barely anything though and only on the lengths. I recommend weekly SMTs. There is a thread in the herbal section. It's a very effective deep treatment.

sibylla
November 7th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I oil over night as often as I can.My hair need huge amounts of coco nut oil. I´ve been doing this for many years and I will never stop doing it.In India it´s very common to leave coco nut oil over night.I can go days with the oil in my hair if I´m out in the country side for example.

starlights
November 7th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Yes i personally feel oiling regularly overnight has helped my hair. I was prone to dry thin hair before, but since oiling for the past year and a half ive noticed my hair looks alot more healthier. I do heavy oilings every other night then sleep with it on.

liagibba
November 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I lightly oil almost every night (heavy oiling is not for me) and CO-wash in the morning. My hair is dramatically softer!

Anje
November 7th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Light oiling wouldn't hurt, but if you're oiling heavily every night, you're going to have to wash that much more extensively every morning. That adds up to a lot more harsh washing potentially than if you just oiled lightly and spaced out washes.

Put a drop or five of oil in your hair when it feels dry and seems like it needs it, but not enough to make your hair seem oily. I like to oil my hair right after I wash it, when it's still wet -- it seems to make the post-shower combout easier, as well as benefiting my hair with additional moisture. Only heavily oil before a regularly scheduled wash, and then try to CO or CWC the oil out. (Conditioner removes oil better than shampoo anyway.) Look at some other treatments for once-a-week use. SMTs are good. Some folks like soaking in mayonnaise for some oil and protein.

bunzfan
November 7th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I often leave coconut or grape-seed oil in my hair for a few days and its really helped the condition of my hair. If your hair is damaged you could leave oil in for a few days and wear your hair up if its long enough?

gotzbrainz
November 7th, 2010, 02:20 PM
what does grapeseed oil do for your hair, im sure it doesnt penetrate the hair shaft like olive or coconut oil does. does it smell good and what are the benefits. its also interesting that condish would get oil out better then shampoo... ill have to give this one a try

Kristin
November 7th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I second everything Anje said. I lightly oil every day, often after CO washing and usually a bit the next morning, too. I wouldn't oil heavily more than once a week because you will end up stripping your hair just to get it out which would be counterproductive.

I like to deep condition once a week with a heat cap. My favorite conditioner for this is Giovanni Smooth as Silk with some coconut oil and aloe mixed in.

Capybara
November 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Daily light overnight oilings work for me, but I guess the only way you'll find out for your own hair is to try :) I'd recommend it. Maybe start with oiling just before a wash, and go from there.

Dolly
November 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM
its also interesting that condish would get oil out better then shampoo... ill have to give this one a try

Make sure not to wet your hair before you apply the condish though.....apply the condish BEFORE you wet your hair, work it in, let it sit as you normally would for a CO wash, and then rinse.....it works much better that way......

spidermom
November 7th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I have been told that saturating hair with olive oil, followed by a plastic wrap, followed by a wool cap or other way of applying heat done once or twice a week is an excellent treatment for damaged hair. I've never heard of doing it every day, though. That might smother the follicles.

ChloeDharma
November 7th, 2010, 05:45 PM
When i was growing out chemical damage i kept my length heavily oiled about 5 days out of 7. I washed twice a week, no shampoo....a DT with every wash then lightly oiled straight after washing, allowed myself 1 night of clean hair then the next day smothered it in oil and kept it in a slick bun. This routine saved me from needing a huge cut and after a few months made a huge difference to the damaged lengths.

When herb washing i generally kept my scalp and hair heavily oiled every day and after washing applied more oil and kept it in a bun all the time....adding more oil once or twice a day. Doing this gave me fast growth and helped my hair increase in thickness by 150%.

I say there is nothing wrong with oiling as much as you want so if you want to oil every night then go for it. I would however advise caution with cleansing if you plan on washing the oil off every day.....as others have said it could counter the benefits of oiling if you over cleanse it. CO washing would be an idea if you plan on frequent washes.