PDA

View Full Version : Natural Straightening and Curling

Barniie
November 7th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I am very interested in hair health, but I do love styling my hair, so I was wondering if you could share your 'natural' hair styling tips. Things like big velcro rollers for curling and wrapping for straightening. Thanks!

Roscata
November 7th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I heard that rapping your damp, combed hair overnight makes it straight.

The way I remember it you take the bottom half your hair and pin it up with hair pins then take the length and the top half of your hair and rotate it around your head (near the face) while keeping it down with pins, then you secure it by putting a hat or scarf or something like that over your head.

I hope you take before and after pics if you decide to do it. I'd like to see the results.

luxepiggy
November 7th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I like to sleep in a sockbun for big round curls the next day (^(oo)^)

Natural:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=87027

Post-sockbun:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=86932

Dreams_in_Pink
November 7th, 2010, 02:28 AM
For straight hair, i sometimes do a banded ponytail (also called caterpillar braid) but i don't think it would work for your hair type.

There aren't many ways to straighten hair. Curling on the other hand, is very easy. You can pin-curl, set with velcro rollers, rag-curl or damp braid...list goes on. Recently i have my eyes on that thing called curlformers, as far as i saw on youtube videos they produce such beautiful curls.

kristymarie87
November 7th, 2010, 03:12 AM
My hair is shoulder length and not alot works to straighten and curling always ends up looking wrong. I've been through youtube looking for videos but couldnt find 1 thing on there that would work.....even scrunching doesnt! I'm homping it will be easier to manage at apl!

wackyredtangles
November 7th, 2010, 03:15 AM
I can get my hair fairly straight by alternating with combing and bristle brush until its dry, with some coconut oil on the ends. Its a fairly lenghtly process, but significantly straighter than my natural hair. =)

KittyLost
November 7th, 2010, 04:07 AM
My hair is Shoulder length and I've had great success with wrapping for straight hair, I don't do it often though cause it takes me ages to get it right.

I also recently used socks to curl my hair and it came out exactly like when my friend curled it with a hot curling wand and lasted longer too! By the end of the day my hair was nice waves. I wrapped my hair around the sock when it was damp and tied a knot in the sock to hold it. I only needed 8socks but it was difficult to sleep in :p

I'm still experimenting with other methods of natural curling, to see what works best.

bluesnowflake
November 7th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Pin curls and rag curls are great ways to get curls without heat, and they're not painful to sleep in as with plastic rollers. There are a multitude of great tutorials on youtube. I would recommend pin curls for big spiral curls and rag curls for tighter, more defined curls. Just be careful to use a fabric with some slip for your rag curler strips or they'll tangle easily.

curlymarcia
November 8th, 2010, 09:41 AM
i have curly hair and use the sockbun to achieve waves instead of curls. Sometime I use rollers, curl formers, or my finger to style another curl pattern. Hope these help, by the way I never use heat.

aenflex
November 8th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Yeah when my hair is long enough I intend to wrap; I used that technique in the past. I wash at night and then wrap sections around my head, and then use thin beak clips to secure the sections, and top it off with a tight sleep cap.