PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Straightening: Freaking Out

JulietCapulet
November 7th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Hi, due to important meetings and get togethers, I have to have my hair done at the salon so that I look presentable. I have tried to make my hair look nice on my own but can't. I feel really guilty and have had to have my hair done three times in ten days.

Does anyone know how I can make curly frizzy hair presentable and beautiful without going to the salon or heat styling?

nowxisxforever
November 7th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Perhaps, for those things that aren't business-related, change your perception of "presentable"? :)

Elsewise... how long is your hair? If it's long enough for an updo, that route is always safe.

luxepiggy
November 7th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I second the updo suggestion! That's the easiest route to a traditional conservative "professional" look, IPHO (^(oo)^)

Dreams_in_Pink
November 7th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I third the updo! Use some gel to smooth the fly-aways, if there's any.

Sundial
November 7th, 2010, 05:04 AM
A lot of updos are really pretty too :D

banglaminerva
November 7th, 2010, 08:09 AM
My days of needing to do that are finally over! But I also recommend the updo. A bun at the base of your head works can be fast, easy and easily taken back down!

I was on my way to a meeting a few years ago with my hair down. Just as we pulled into the parking lot, I put my hair up into a quick bun. I realized that the candidate I was helping noticed that I did it with a questioning look in his eyes. Once the meeting ended and we were back in the car, I took my hair down again. Which prompted him to ask what in the world was I doing.

And that led to a long conversation of professional appearances, gender issues in politics, and how women have so much more to deal with.

MommaRalph
November 7th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Have you also tried wrapping it to straighten it - doobie ? A wig is another drastic choice if you don't like going to the salon.

Valerie

MinderMutsig
November 7th, 2010, 08:31 AM
OK maybe it's me but since when is straight hair synonymous for professional? As if curls and waves make you look like a hobo. It's just ridiculous.

Just pull your hair back or put it in an updo or even leave it down but make sure it looks clean and cared for. That should be enough.

As for the frizzies, try oil! They do wonders with frizzies.

ETA: just re-read my post and realized it might come off as criticizing you and I didn't mean it that way. I just think it's ridiculous for an employer to explicitly or implicitly demand women to straighten their hair. What's next? Dying it because your hair color isn't 'presentable'? Tanning or bleaching your skin?
What are they trying to do? Create a clone-army? It's just flat out insane.

2peasinapod
November 7th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I second the idea of wrapping your hair. There is a thread about it somewhere on here, and a video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1bIHMpCrKA).

Alun
November 7th, 2010, 08:51 AM
My days of needing to do that are finally over! But I also recommend the updo. A bun at the base of your head works can be fast, easy and easily taken back down!

I was on my way to a meeting a few years ago with my hair down. Just as we pulled into the parking lot, I put my hair up into a quick bun. I realized that the candidate I was helping noticed that I did it with a questioning look in his eyes. Once the meeting ended and we were back in the car, I took my hair down again. Which prompted him to ask what in the world was I doing.

And that led to a long conversation of professional appearances, gender issues in politics, and how women have so much more to deal with.

You're kidding right? At least there's no expectation that you'll cut it all off! Not that I ever would, but it takes a certain resolve, i.e. utter pig-headed stubbornness, not to.

...and if you mean you've left the work force, don't be so sure you'll never have to rejoin it. Forever is a long time.

Amraann
November 7th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I think a simple pony tail would look nice.
I do not think that curly hair is unprofessional.

jaine
November 7th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I like to damp-bun my hair with gel in it, combing it as i put it in the updo to get all hairs lying in the same direction, then let it dry like that. When my hair is dry I finger-comb out the crunch and it looks much smoother than it would be if I had dried it loose because all of the hairs are trained in the same direction. (but it's not straight - I still have bun waves.) I like max green alchemy sculpting gel for this purpose although I think another hard-hold gel would work as long as you can "scrunch out the crunch" after it dries without your hair feeling weird.

Carolyn
November 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I took a look at your hair in your public album. It's looks long enough to do a nice bun. A chignon or nape bun is very professional looking. Is your employer telling you your hair doesn't look professional?

banglaminerva
November 7th, 2010, 04:00 PM
You're kidding right? At least there's no expectation that you'll cut it all off! Not that I ever would, but it takes a certain resolve, i.e. utter pig-headed stubbornness, not to.

...and if you mean you've left the work force, don't be so sure you'll never have to rejoin it. Forever is a long time.

Presentation always matters... sad but true. No one ever told me how to wear my hair, but I learned that sometimes, my hair would distract folks and I didn't want to deal with that. Definitely there is an expectation that women in politics have short hair or at least strongly contained. I heavily volunteered in politics for the last 18 years but I'm planning/expecting to get into other things now.

In some industries, "professional" means things like 'in control, contained, definite, etc.' Lose, and especially curly, hair usually represents 'free spirit, wild, relaxed, etc.' Definitely these are stereotypical assumptions, but they do exist. Sigh... urrgg..

What I'm finding really ironic these days is that most of the time, I now need to wear my hair up not for presentation issues but just because it's so long now, I end up sitting on it, getting it caught, etc.

Capybara
November 7th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I just took a look in your albums, and while I am not sure what exactly your situation is, I think your hair looks lovely as is :). The picture with your hair curly and in a half up looks professional IMO. Curly hair =/= unprofessional hair - my mother has long curly hair, and has always been known (in a positive and professional way) for her hair. I know it's tough, but being confident in your own skin/hair/ whatever else may be seems (to me, anyways ;)) to be professional and assertive. Good luck!