PDA

View Full Version : hair containment for holidays

squiggyflop
November 6th, 2010, 06:51 PM
um im not sure whether this belongs in the friendship board or the mane forum mods move accordingly..

on the holidays my whole big italian family gets together.. half my family is extremely religious so they think my hair is wonderful.. and the other half tend to be in awe of how long it is.. so i end up with 30 people petting me (literally).. if i keep my hair in an updo they usually will gang up on me to take it down.. im not good with confrontation especially against 30 people..

so i was wondering about hair containment.. like snoods.. i want a netted one.. not a crocheted one.. i just dont like how they gather in the center on crocheted ones.. you know that bulls eye look in the back.. i hate that

i do have solid velvet snoods but they arent in christmasy colors and i like to wear red, green and gold on xmas.. and my sewing machine is broken so i cant just sew a green one.. plus i was hoping for a netted one so i can show off my hair a little while keeping family hands from petting the hair.. oh um if you have a sewing machine and want a velvet snood clicky my name and visit squiggyflop's homepage and there is a tutorial for a 30 minute snood..

im not sure if im making sense here.. anyway.. any ideas or links?

sailing
November 6th, 2010, 07:09 PM
What about a cream snood with gold jewelry pinned to it?

enfys
November 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I don't konw if I'm misunderstanding you, but there are crochet designs that look like a net, not a bullseye, like this one:
http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/persno.html

If you were looking to buy rather than make one I would suggest you search for WWII snoods as I find more of those have not got that circular centre you don't like.

GrowingGlory
November 6th, 2010, 07:58 PM
How about a ponytail divided into three sections, each braided with colored velvet ribbon, then pinned up and fastened with a gold barrette? Or an updo decorated with hair tinsel?

squiggyflop
November 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM
WWII snoods.. i wonder if they come in big enough sizes for my big mane.. i cant crochet to save my life (ive tried and tried but i just cant)..

GrowingGlory: um that wouldnt stop them from petting me.. i think i actually need a barrier between my hair and them

enfys
November 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM
WWII snoods.. i wonder if they come in big enough sizes for my big mane.. i cant crochet to save my life (ive tried and tried but i just cant)..

We have about as much hair. What I do is kind of roll my hair up like I was making one massive pin curl, then put an old lady hair net over and pin it to my scalp. That stops loose bits poking out. Then I put the snood over the top and pin that too.

In WWII people curled then brushed there hair to make a massive frizzy poof of hair. Hair like ours rolled up probably has the same volume.

squiggyflop
November 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM
We have about as much hair. What I do is kind of roll my hair up like I was making one massive pin curl, then put an old lady hair net over and pin it to my scalp. That stops loose bits poking out. Then I put the snood over the top and pin that too.

In WWII people curled then brushed there hair to make a massive frizzy poof of hair. Hair like ours rolled up probably has the same volume.
hmmm i dont know.. the last time i tried to fit my hair into one of those things it didnt fit.. and i was only hip length then.. my ends are becoming thicker and thicker as i close in on classic (due to my neurotic constant trimming).. maybe i can ask one of the ladies on etsy to make a custom one?? do people do that?? like maybe if i agreed to pay more..

i signed up for etsy and asked a seller to make a custom snood.. heres to hoping that she accepts

enfys
November 7th, 2010, 11:49 AM
For someone who can crochet they are a quick, easy project. I wouldn't think it would be a problem for someone ;)

Maybe pin your hair into standing pins curls to save more volume? You have plenty of time to practice at least :)

In2wishin
November 7th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I used to have a snood like this:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/eclctcmnd/Bl-PICwCGkKGrHqYOKjIEtlduqiBLd3vLB6g_12.jpg

The bow is attached to a barrette and the snood is attached to the bow. The snood was just a circle of lace gathered up with elastic (before attaching it looked kind of like a small lace shower cap) and could be made any size.

The way I wore it was to gather my hair in a pony and pulled the whole thing through itself from the top (a topsy tail). I secured the barrette over the pony elastic and then gathered my hair into the net. In the end, I had a little roll from the topsy tail, the elastic was covered, all my hair was contained and there was no pull on the snood.

I hope I described it well enough :p

Bast
November 7th, 2010, 01:29 PM
If you're willing to simply do a rough 'n ready, there is always Stitch Witchery and the various liquid stitches out there.

Do you know anybody with a sewing machine that you can borrow? Maybe the fundage for one of those really, really cheap kids machines, the type that has just straight stitch and zig-zag?

Another alternative is to take one of your current snoods and tie some ribbon around it once you've put it on. It wouldn't be the nice lace see-through loveliness, true, but it would be an easy no-sew alternative.

Also had some other ideas, but they require actually getting up from my computer and going to my sewing and crochet supplies.

squiggyflop
November 7th, 2010, 01:33 PM
got word from a seller that she will make my custom snoods.. but sadly she seems to be in the UK... so i doubt they will come by xmas.. well at least i'll be able to order some for the other holidays when my family pets me.. im pretty sure it takes a long time for stuff to come all the way from the UK..

enfys
November 7th, 2010, 01:42 PM
got word from a seller that she will make my custom snoods.. but sadly she seems to be in the UK... so i doubt they will come by xmas.. well at least i'll be able to order some for the other holidays when my family pets me.. im pretty sure it takes a long time for stuff to come all the way from the UK..

Depending on how long they will take her to make, the last posting date for International Airmail is December 10th.

I would imagine they are a quick project; most people I've spoken to say they take a few hours. It just depends on her backlog.

GrowingGlory
November 7th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Maybe electrified hair tinsel?

Merlin
November 7th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Depending on how long they will take her to make, the last posting date for International Airmail is December 10th.

I would imagine they are a quick project; most people I've spoken to say they take a few hours. It just depends on her backlog.

So she's got a good month to make it and get it in the post to you - if you say you'd really like it for Christmas she might make sure she gets it in the post in time. Do you know where in the UK she is?

squiggyflop
November 7th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK
ginpoodle (http://www.etsy.com/shop/GinPoodle)

her snoods are rather pretty and they dont have that bulls eye thingy.. she seems nice.. :)

squiggyflop
November 8th, 2010, 07:03 AM
i think i scared her off by asking so many questions.. she still hasnt gotten back to me..

anyway.. yeah..

Intransigentia
November 8th, 2010, 10:42 AM
What if you put it up in some super-complicated intricate time-consuming style? Would they take "but it took me two hours to do all these little braids!" for an answer? Otherwise, ITA, snood it up! Also, I checked your homepage and couldn't find the sewn snood pattern. Could you post the direct link?

squiggyflop
November 8th, 2010, 03:43 PM
What if you put it up in some super-complicated intricate time-consuming style? Would they take "but it took me two hours to do all these little braids!" for an answer? Otherwise, ITA, snood it up! Also, I checked your homepage and couldn't find the sewn snood pattern. Could you post the direct link?
ive tried the time consuming style before and they will mostly just poke and prod at the style (totally wrecking it in the process).. but its xmas.. i dont wanna have to spend hours on my hair.. not when i gotta spend all morning scrambling to get the cooking done and the presents wrapped..

Intransigentia
November 8th, 2010, 04:11 PM
In that case the only suggestion I have is some kind of electrified something or other. Could you incorporate a shock collar into a crown braid?

squiggyflop
November 8th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Also, I checked your homepage and couldn't find the sewn snood pattern. Could you post the direct link?
sorry i didnt see this part before..
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/th_snoodpatternadjustments.jpg (http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/?action=view&current=snoodpatternadjustments.jpg)

thats half of the pattern.. the other part is a simple rectangle..
(head circumference+1inch) x (4 inches)

the video is the third one down on my sewing page (http://squiggyflop.tripod.com/id25.html)
just ignore the tiebacks video.. i only leave it up to remind myself never to do it again.. um sorry that i did such a long video.. its also for making a silk satin pillowcase out of a skirt.. dont worry when i get a new camera i wont be doing that ever again.. (the long videos i mean)

lol my hair is so short in all the videos!.. its a vintage version of my hair!! lol!

sailing
November 8th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Put a sign over your hair that says, Touching not allowed. Touching results in loss of presents.

luxepiggy
November 9th, 2010, 05:24 AM
If you have any kind of large scarf, you can always put your hair in a secure updo, then top it off with the Hermès pirate-chic headwrap (^(oo)^)v

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/BlackBatisteHairWrap3.jpg

Intransigentia
November 9th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the pattern! Much appreciated :-)

StephanieB
November 9th, 2010, 10:13 AM
How about something like this (http://thedarlingsisters.myshopify.com/products/1940s-style-snood-hair-net)? $12.95
(It's Christmas-y red and hasn't got the 'bullseye' center.)

If you can't fit all of your hair into it when you wear it like the model in that ^ photo, try wearing it like the top photo model wears hers here (http://fuchsiawoman.com/blog/wear/lilly-dache-queen-of-hats-and-snoods-of-yesteryear/) (scroll all the way down the page to the two photos and peek at the top color photo marked "modern', just abov the B&W one marked "WWII") - with just her bun covered by the snood net - with or without the bow (as the model wars) anchoring it. Or, instead of a big bow, try a flower... or a Christmas tree ornament.

How about this Xtra Long hair snood (http://www.faireware.com/snoods.html)? $9.95

Even though they only currently come in ecru, dark brown, white, and black (they're a new item) - you can easily dress one up for the holidays with ribbons and/or small rhinestone or other pins, or decorated hair pins, or small clips, or hand-sew pearls and/or other beads right onto it.

And here (http://www.amazon.com/Faireware-Three-Snood-Combo/dp/B002RJUREG/ref=pd_sbs_a_1) is a three-snood combo package of long snoods that don't have that 'bullseye'. $11.95

They come in many colors, including Christmas-y green and Christmas-y red.

squiggyflop
November 10th, 2010, 02:41 PM
well ive angered that seller to the point where she said she wouldnt do business with me.. i asked her one too many questions about the colors and types of crochet thread she used.. oh well.. *sigh* curiosity killed the cat.. i had no idea that asking questions would sound like nagging.. oh well

enfys
November 10th, 2010, 02:44 PM
:grouphug: Maybe she thought you were fishing for ideas to use yourself to copy her designs? Some people worry about that, like if you ask "where do you get your beads from...what glue do you use..." Maybe that's what she thought you were doing?

Have you looked at StephanieB's links? They look really good!

squiggyflop
November 10th, 2010, 03:22 PM
:grouphug: Maybe she thought you were fishing for ideas to use yourself to copy her designs? Some people worry about that, like if you ask "where do you get your beads from...what glue do you use..." Maybe that's what she thought you were doing?

Have you looked at StephanieB's links? They look really good!
i wonder if you are right.. i did ask an awful lot of questions on color and thread composition.. oh my.. she really could have taken it that way.. :bigeyes: and she is the only seller doing that type of pattern too.. oh my

hmmm StephanieB's links look ok but they still have that thing in the back, center-point thingy.. i was really hoping for one that doesnt have that.. i would prefer it look like a net.. *sigh* i know i know, i shouldnt be so picky

enfys
November 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hmm...maybe you could ask someone on etsy who does other crochet things, and show them the link in my first post? It does seem to be a simple design, but I'm just really bad at crochet. I had a few other people look at it and they all said it looked easy enough.

If you're approaching someone with something they've never done before they might be eager to try something new and do it. I think there are only two stitches needed. Any crocheter is bound to be able to do it.

Marjolein
November 11th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Just a thought. There's this DIY holiday swap thread going on in the swap section, right? Couldn't you join and perhaps request this particular type of crocheted (sp??) snood? I'm sure there's someone on LHC who can crochet well enough to make you your dream snood.

Merlin
November 11th, 2010, 04:13 AM
You could try an apology - most people react well to that and if you explain why you were asking all the questions she might relent

maria_asa
November 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Since you want the netted look and not know how to crochet, have you thought about netting? (http://nicolaa5.tripod.com/articles/hairnet.htm) I haven't tried it myself but it doesn't look too hard.