PDA

View Full Version : why is my hair getting wavier?

jojo
November 6th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Ok common sense tells me the longer the hair, the less curl/wave is apparent as the length drags wave and curl out. Now my hair which used to have S waves with the odd spiral mainly on 2/3rds of my hair, now my hair has smaller S waves throughout the length and spirals on most of the ends.

My routine has not changed apart from I now use lush henna, this is my only change so how can hair go wavier on some and straighter on some? is it weight of the hair or something?

ETA= I will post a photo when my daughter takes one!

CurlAhead
November 6th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Some hair gets curlier the more length it gets! =)
That may be an explanation.. Or, it is well taken care of, do you use deep conditioners etc? I use the CO-routine, and my hair got some more well defined curls.

Babyfine
November 6th, 2010, 05:47 PM
My hair has also gotten a lot wavier in the last 10 years. It could be hormones, (my mother's did in her mid-40's as well) or it could be better care, more moisture.
Lorraine Massey points out in her Curly Girl book that some people's wave patterns actually need length to curl up-it needs to be below shoulder length for the S wave to show up. Maybe this is what happened to you?
I know in my case I had very wavy hair even some loose curls when I hit high school(which I tried to straighten) then my hair went much straighter in my 20's & 30's, to around a 1b or 1c.
I also quit highlighting in 2006 which pulled out my wave(probably due to damage)
so now my hair has waved up a lot since I'm no longer bleaching.
Maybe in your case better care?
Your hair is gorgeous BTW!

boomtownrat
November 6th, 2010, 05:52 PM
My hair is wavy when it gets longer. Until around chin length, it looks pretty straight. The one time I had APL hair, there were cigar curls forming at the ends, but I hated them, so I got it cut shorter. Mind you, I was going through puberty at the time so I don't know if my hair's texture might have changed since then.

jojo
November 6th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Some hair gets curlier the more length it gets! =)
That may be an explanation.. Or, it is well taken care of, do you use deep conditioners etc? I use the CO-routine, and my hair got some more well defined curls.

Well Ive lightly oiled daily for over a year and have always done a deep condioner every week, it just seems to have got wavier all of a sudden. Ive been on vitamins for 4 months I wonder if this is why? I even bought some amla to encourage the wave more and ive not even got round to using it yet! My mum said when I was little my hair did this too

jojo
November 6th, 2010, 06:07 PM
My hair has also gotten a lot wavier in the last 10 years. It could be hormones, (my mother's did in her mid-40's as well) or it could be better care, more moisture.
Lorraine Massey points out in her Curly Girl book that some people's wave patterns actually need length to curl up-it needs to be below shoulder length for the S wave to show up. Maybe this is what happened to you?
I know in my case I had very wavy hair even some loose curls when I hit high school(which I tried to straighten) then my hair went much straighter in my 20's & 30's, to around a 1b or 1c.
I also quit highlighting in 2006 which pulled out my wave(probably due to damage)
so now my hair has waved up a lot since I'm no longer bleaching.
Maybe in your case better care?
Your hair is gorgeous BTW!

My hair is more curly than wavy when short, but then sort of gets kinky upto to shoulder and then yes it does get S waves at below shoulder. My hair is probably the longest it has ever been. I am also in my 40's so maybe hormones have an inpact, your comments make sense and thank you for the compliment, it resembles a scarecrows in real life LOL x

jojo
November 6th, 2010, 06:08 PM
My hair is wavy when it gets longer. Until around chin length, it looks pretty straight. The one time I had APL hair, there were cigar curls forming at the ends, but I hated them, so I got it cut shorter. Mind you, I was going through puberty at the time so I don't know if my hair's texture might have changed since then.

yes puberty made my hair curlier too and come to think of it both my daughters hair too.

tinti
November 6th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I discovered my hair was wavy when I clarified and since then I've oiled daily/ after airdry and quit cones.

mira-chan
November 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM
My hair has been slowly but progressively getting wavier in the past years. If it's getting wavier more on the bottom, then you needed more length for it to show through. If it's relatively consistent through the length, then your improved hair care is the culprit. If it's more on top then the ends (like mine) then it's changing texture and growing curlier.

jojo
November 7th, 2010, 05:41 AM
thank you, yes Mira-chan it is more throughout the length its only taken my hair 3 years to realise im being kind to it!

princessp
November 7th, 2010, 10:28 AM
How cool! My hair is the opposite. Truth be told I can't stand my hair too short it is poofy/curly/crazy! I'm glad it's working for you.