PDA

View Full Version : Love coconut oil but HATE the smell

hairobsessed1
November 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I have recently purchased some coconut oil from the brand ‘coconoil’ I tried it for the first time the other night as a pre-wash/ over night treatment and loved the effect and my hair loves it and drinks it all up. However the smell makes me feel really sick, :(It smells like coconut oil but tends to be more sickly and it hangs around. I have just applied some more but just on the bottom inch on my hair and the smell is still getting to me again so I don’t think it’s something I will be able to get used to.
1.Has anyone experienced this sickly feeling from coconut oil?
2.Is it just this brand or does all coconut oil have this sickly aroma (I know some oils- especially carrier oils for instance doesn’t have a strong smell).
3.would you recommend any other oils which I could mix it with to get rid of the smell.

Thank you.

Fractalsofhair
November 6th, 2010, 11:24 AM
All coconut oil smells like coconut, if it's unrefined. Some has a smell like burnt coconut though, and that's not standard.(I think it's because it's made from copra coconuts, not totally sure of the process)You could try to get some refined coconut oil though! You could also try using it as a prewash treatment, so you don't have to deal with the smell for too long.

ange1ito
November 6th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Oh dear...coconut oil transformed my hair, would be such ashame if you can't use it. I use pure coconut oil which i found in a large tub at a kashmiri grocers in the UK for about £1.30, i know Holland and Barret also sell the same product for about £8-9.00. Also before i started with this routine i had tried the Organix anti breakage serum, it still smells like coconut though and i recall someting about cones. I am crazy about my hair so when its not oiled i try to use this as it is not as greasy and obvious as the first. People have complimented me on the smell of the organix one whereas the other one smells a little odd. Hope you find a good alternative.

little_cherry
November 6th, 2010, 11:54 AM
You could always add a few drops of essential oils to the coconut oil... I've steeped split, bruised vanilla beans in coconut oil for 2 weeks last winter and now I have some lovely vanilla smelling coconut oil.

MinderMutsig
November 6th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I sympathize.
Coconuts / coconut oil has a really nauseating smell. It's the no.1 reason I started misting: to block out the stink.

ktani
November 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM
It is not supposed to smell like that at all. It may be off. If you are looking for an alternative oil with similar properties to coconut oil, there are 2 to choose from here, with information on odor, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1307992&postcount=185.

hairobsessed1
November 6th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Thank you Little Cherry- I think vanilla might do the trick. Better to experiment than throw the whole tub away, it works too well for that.

ktani
November 6th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Thank you Little Cherry- I think vanilla might do the trick. Better to experiment than throw the whole tub away, it works too well for that.

If your purchase was recent, I would take it back and ask for a replacement or refund.

hairobsessed1
November 6th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I really don't think it's off as it smells nice in the tub but as soon as it's on my hair the smell seems to change- I will go back to the shop and ask if the smell is normal and see (if i can) if the other products smell like mine.

teela1978
November 6th, 2010, 12:14 PM
The louana coconut oil (avaliable at your local walmart with the cooking oils) is refined and has no smell. Personally I love the coconut oil smell :)

ktani
November 6th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I really don't think it's off as it smells nice in the tub but as soon as it's on my hair the smell seems to change- I will go back to the shop and ask if the smell is normal and see (if i can) if the other products smell like mine.

Coconut oil can be deoderized. However, that link on transporting coconut oil makes no distinction between refined and natural coconut oil, in terms of odor. So, while I was willing to accept that processing had some affect on odor before, I know longer believe that.

Coconut oil that has an unpleasant smell means that it has gone rancid, and apparently, by the time the odor is discernable, the oil has already gone bad. That happens before the smell is noticeable.

spidermom
November 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Did you read the label? Maybe it has other ingredients. My unrefined 100% coconut oil has a pleasant scent that I only notice when I'm applying it. The refined 100% coconut oil had no scent at all, and it seemed to work just as well.

Dolly
November 6th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I love love LOVE the coconut scent! I wish the smell would stick around LONGER than it does in my hair!

hairobsessed1
November 6th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Mine is 100% pure organic coconut oil- no other ingredients.
It has been on my hair now for over an hour and the smell is starting to go and is quite nice- not too sickly anymore- maybe if i just apply a little bit, or put it on right before bed. Either way I think experimenting with other oils might do it. But I do find that I am very sensitive to smells- even nice smells can give me a huge headache :(

ktani
November 6th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Mine is 100% pure organic coconut oil- no other ingredients.
It has been on my hair now for over an hour and the smell is starting to go and is quite nice- not too sickly anymore- maybe if i just apply a little bit, or put it on right before bed. Either way I think experimenting with other oils might do it. But I do find that I am very sensitive to smells- even nice smells can give me a huge headache :(

It may be then that the problem is your sensitivity and not the oil itself. There is a difference to a rancid smell and a pleasant one.

hairobsessed1
November 6th, 2010, 12:58 PM
my boyfriend thinks it smells fine, so It's probably just my sensitivity

MinderMutsig
November 6th, 2010, 01:10 PM
It is not supposed to smell like that at all. It may be off. If you are looking for an alternative oil with similar properties to coconut oil, there are 2 to choose from here, with information on odor, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1307992&postcount=185.
For me it's not that the oil is rancid, I just hate the smell of coconut with a passion.

I like the taste in curry's but the smell turns my stomach to the point where I avoid people who use coconut scented products.

ETA: Thanks for the alternatives by the way! I'll look in to those.

ktani
November 6th, 2010, 01:27 PM
For me it's not that the oil is rancid, I just hate the smell of coconut with a passion.

I like the taste in curry's but the smell turns my stomach to the point where I avoid people who use coconut scented products.

ETA: Thanks for the alternatives by the way! I'll look in to those.

You are most welcome!

If you hate the scent of coconut, you may hate the smell of palm kernel oil as well, as it is listed as unlpeasant. Babassu oil sounds and appears from its profile to be the best of those 2, in my opinion. It is not ridiculously expensive either, from that one source, at least.

BelleBot
November 6th, 2010, 02:06 PM
My coconut oil has no smell at all which is good as I can't stand the smell of coconut! I will occasionally melt it with vanilla pods to scent it though :)

MinderMutsig
November 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM

You are most welcome!

If you hate the scent of coconut, you may hate the smell of palm kernel oil as well, as it is listed as unlpeasant. Babassu oil sounds and appears from its profile to be the best of those 2, in my opinion. It is not ridiculously expensive either, from that one source, at least. I found a Dutch etailer that sells 100 grams for €3,95.

They also carry shea butter, cacao butter and several EO's so I'm a happy camper.

feralnature
November 6th, 2010, 05:10 PM
The louana coconut oil (avaliable at your local walmart with the cooking oils) is refined and has no smell. Personally I love the coconut oil smell :)

I use Louana and love it. I eat it and cook with it as well as use it in my hair. :)

RubyEmpress
November 6th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I think the smell of coconut is something you either really love or absolutely despise. I love the smell personally I just want to bathe my body in coconut oil its so moisturizing haha.

Coan-Teen
November 6th, 2010, 05:48 PM
You could try putting your hair in a bun with the ends tucked in immediately after applying. I'm also really sensitive to certain smells (I HATE the smell of coconut. Makes me headachy and sick to my stomach) but I've usually found that anything in my hair which I then put up doesn't smell as much. The hair moves around less and therefore releases less odor.

starlights
November 6th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I think different brands of coconut have differing smells if im honest. Im an avid coconut oil lurver, lol.... i've found out of all the brands that i've used, the one that smells the least of coconut is KTC brand. This KTC brand coconut oil smells literally like plain oil with a subtle hint of coconut smell. Not overpowering at all

teela1978
November 6th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I use Louana and love it. I eat it and cook with it as well as use it in my hair. :)
It makes the BEST popcorn!

feralnature
November 6th, 2010, 08:47 PM
It makes the BEST popcorn!

LouAna from Walmart really has no smell at all and has many uses. It does indeed make good popcorn. I use it like butter.

I use it everyday on my hair and it has no odor. I like the "weight" it gives my hair.

Anje
November 7th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Any "refined" coconut oil should just have a clean, oily smell without any of that coconuttiness. I've used the Spectrum refined coconut oil before and it definitely doesn't have that odor.

Check the oils section at your local supermarket. If that fails, look at the organic/health foods section. Walmart also tends to have virgin coconut oil in their pharmacy section, but that'll have an odor.

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 06:18 AM
i really dont smell the coconut oil once its on my hair. but then again, i dont do like overnight treatments and stuff like you do. i just put it on my ends.

HintOfMint
December 26th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Actually, I don't smell it at all in my hair, even when I put my nose right up to it.
I use an unrefined coconut oil too, and it smells exactly like coconut when I put my nose in the jar. However, when I smooth it over damp, freshly conditioned hair, the smell disappears. Even now, all I can smell is my conditioner, not the coconut at all. That's the case even when I overdose on the oil.

Medievalmaniac
December 26th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Try experimenting with it. Take about two tablespoons of coconut oil, melt it, and add some essential oils you like the smell of. See which combination works for you. It is very possible to disguise the scent of coconut oil entirely behind yummy smells in a blend. Try mixing honey and vanilla with it, or honey and a few drops of clary sage EO, or something like that - whatever kind of smell works best for you. Nightblooming on ETSY's (closed for vacation at present) panaceas are amazing, and the base is coconut oil - but you wouldn't know it. It's very possible to do the same sort of thing at home. :)

McFearless
December 26th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I have to agree. Refined coconut oil has no smell but once left in the hair can smell really disgusting. The same thing happens to me when I use it as a DT but shampoo takes care of it. If you use small amounts as a leave-in it shouldn't produce a smell.