PDA

View Full Version : Debating a trim

ukuleleclaire
November 5th, 2010, 11:23 PM
It's been 11 months since my last haircut, and while I do S&D regularly, I've noticed a lot of splits and white dots lately. Almost a never ending sea of them! I was considering a trim in December to help even out my layers (longest are almost to bsl) and to help out how shaggy some of my ends are.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

UltraBella
November 5th, 2010, 11:38 PM
If you are noticing a lot of damaged ends then I think your best option is to trim it. It will prevent the damage from getting worse and allow you to continue growing without the worry. Plus, your ends will feel great :)

ukuleleclaire
November 5th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks Ultrabella! :) I had forgotten about how awesome hair feels after a good trim.

Capybara
November 6th, 2010, 07:15 AM
11 months without a trim is a pretty big accomplishment :) I'd second going for a trim - you can get as much or as little taken off as you want, and you'll end up with healthy ends.

DuckyDot
November 6th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Get a trim, It'll help you in the long run! And your hair will feel awesome :)

aenflex
November 6th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I say go for it. 11 months is a long time to S/D, your hemline might be a lil crooked? I could be wrong but I say go for it :)

ukuleleclaire
November 6th, 2010, 05:05 PM
My hair is quite shaggy at this point! Sometimes I forget 11 months is such a ridiculously long time to go without a trim.

feralnature
November 6th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I'm doing a self-trim tomorrow. I would rather do it than trust a hair dresser. I'll use Feye's method. I've been reading it to make sure and then found same on you-tube.

Valdeon
November 6th, 2010, 05:38 PM
If you are noticing a lot of damaged ends then I think your best option is to trim it. It will prevent the damage from getting worse and allow you to continue growing without the worry. Plus, your ends will feel great :)

I second that. If you see some real damage that cannot be taken care of with S&D, use more serious staff, a real trim will do the trick!

jojo
November 6th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Id go for a dusting of the ends and then re-evaluate if it still has some damage, repeat next month, this way you only lose the damage and not the length. Keep dusting monthly until its gone and im talking - this much!

GrowingGlory
November 6th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Don't waste a few years worth of growth or ruin a great head of hair with a crooked self trim.

starlights
November 6th, 2010, 07:56 PM
If your noticing alot of damage, i would say s&D if you think it will take away majority damage. If you notice the damage further up then trim :) nothing worse than damaged ends :)

JuneBride
November 6th, 2010, 08:03 PM
It's been 11 months since my last haircut, and while I do S&D regularly, I've noticed a lot of splits and white dots lately. Almost a never ending sea of them! I was considering a trim in December to help even out my layers (longest are almost to bsl) and to help out how shaggy some of my ends are.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

I just trimmed mine (see my profile for pics) and it was do to the same reason, tons of splits, white dots. Now it is healthy and I am new to LHC so hopefully I can keep away splits and white dots for a longer period of time so my next trim isn't so soon and i can gain some progress...all with the tips and methods I learn on her daily! I think a small trim now and then is more than acceptable - I would rather miss a half inch of length and have healthy hair, then have unhealthy longer hair...because the split can travel and then you will eventually loose more hair :(

Tovah
November 6th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I just had a trim after 16 months.
We took about 3 inches off of damaged hair.
It was good.

Prettyeyes23
November 6th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Trim your hair. Going 11 months without a trim is impressive, but you know your hair, and you know that it needs a trim. Even if it's only one cm or whatever that is in inches...it'll look and feel so much better! I've gone 7 months without a trim now, and I am due for a tiny dust of a trim!

shockinglength
November 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I'd get a good trim.

Coan-Teen
November 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I also go ridiculously long periods without trimming. My last haircut was in... March? Maybe February? Right now I'm sitting on about eight months without one, but don't forget how nice your hair feels when you come out from getting it cut. It's always so silky and smooth. :) I'd second the suggestion for a really small trim, less than half an inch, and then do that for a couple months so that you can maintain your length. You might not make much progress in the meantime but you won't lose ground either.

DivineComedian
November 7th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I'd say just go for a small but effective trim. I have that done regularly (usually not much more than a dusting), and although I still have to S&D as I have a LOT of split ends, it does help to keep it in better condition. I also find my ends feel much thicker and healthier after I've had a bit of a trim.

smileycat
November 7th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Trim. Even just a small amount can have a profound effect on your hair. I instructed my stylist to take off 1/2" yesterday knowing she would take a little more (I did not want to go any more than 1" shorter). I just discussed my goals for growing with her, and I even let her trim a smidgen off my layers. My hair is now a barely noticeable 3/4" shorter, but the ends are much cleaner and, more importantly, they no longer stick to together causing tangles and even more damage. Go for it!

Alvrodul
November 7th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I did a mini self trim today - first time for that! I had sort of intended to see if I could manage to get through the rest of the year without trimming (last one was at the end of June) but the ends have been feeling a bit velcroish - there is still some chemical damage down there. Hopefully this will improve matters!

ukuleleclaire
November 7th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Thank you everyone for the replies! I straightened my hair for an event last night, probably for the first time in 9+ months. My ends were VERY uneven. I found a stylist in my area on naturallycurly last night, so I think I'll be looking her up when I am back home. :)