PDA

View Full Version : If you always part your hair on the same side, the parted side won't grow?

kschr2004
November 5th, 2010, 05:58 PM
So I went to the stylist to get my hair trimmed and colored today. At the end when she was blowdrying my hair, she asked if I always parted my hair on the same side (the left). When I said yes, she said because I never change my part, that the hair to the left of my part will stop growing.

I've never heard of this before. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that statement, or is she just totally misinformed?

Thanks!

Kimberly

TinaDenali
November 5th, 2010, 06:05 PM
That's silly. I have parted my hair on the same side for six years now (because due to a car accident I have extensive scaring over my left eye, so I part to cover that) and I've not experienced anything like this. I've gone from chin length to waist length in two years and ALL of my hair grew, despite my consistent parting.

I'm not sure where she got that information, but I can't believe it's true.

Dragon
November 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I've herd you can start thinning from the part if you never change it.

tinti
November 5th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Nah, sounds like rubbish to me ;) I've gone from SL to waist in 2 years and 4 months, and I have parted my hair on the left side for as long as I can remember :)

enfys
November 5th, 2010, 06:10 PM
How old are you and do you have radically different lengths on each side yet? Those are rhetorical questions but should give you the answer.

The closest thing I can think to that being true is if you part your hair then pull it tightly back you may get traction alopecia along the part line, but that's hardly the same as not growing.

christine1989
November 5th, 2010, 06:11 PM
That sounds like more misinformation from oblivious stylists. I usually part my hair in the same place and it grows the same on each side.

kschr2004
November 5th, 2010, 06:14 PM
How old are you and do you have radically different lengths on each side yet? Those are rhetorical questions but should give you the answer.

I'm 39, and I haven't noticed much of a difference on either side, ever. My hair grows pretty evenly. So it surprised me that she said that, because I've been parting my hair on the same side for years, if not for a decade or more. She was adamant that this would happen to me though. It was pretty weird.

enfys
November 5th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I'm 39, and I haven't noticed much of a difference on either side, ever. My hair grows pretty evenly. So it surprised me that she said that, because I've been parting my hair on the same side for years, if not for a decade or more. She was adamant that this would happen to me though. It was pretty weird.

I think by now you would have noticed a difference if it was happening to you no matter how adamant she was. :p

Igor
November 5th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Stylist logic is in a league of its own :rolleyes:

jaine
November 5th, 2010, 06:37 PM
This is why she works for a hair salon instead of NASA.

Angeletti
November 5th, 2010, 06:40 PM
If this were true then many of us would be walking around with very uneven hair, gotta love the things they come up with : )

kschr2004
November 5th, 2010, 06:42 PM

:D I will say, she did a wonderful job on my cut and color. So I guess I can forgive her ignorance on this. Better that a stylist gives me a little misinformation, than messes up my hair!

Alix
November 5th, 2010, 06:52 PM
But then you would have to never part your hair because there is always a side to a part, even if it's mostly down the middle. Whenever I part my hair I part it to the side, it doesn't naturally part straight though so I usually let it do it's funky part.

nellreno
November 5th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I've parted my hair right down the middle since I was a kid, with a couple years of keeping it on the left side before moving it back to the middle. I've never had a problem with one side not growing.

If you don't part your hair, wouldn't you have to keep it brushed back all the time?

kschr2004
November 5th, 2010, 07:10 PM
If you don't part your hair, wouldn't you have to keep it brushed back all the time?

I think her point was not to part it on the same side all the time, but to switch the part up. For example, maybe I should part in the middle or on the right sometimes.

I would say not parting at all would be really weird for me. I think I would have to do the slicked back gelled up thing to keep my hair out of my eyes. That would drive me crazy!

heidihug
November 5th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I never part my hair. 'Course, I never wear it down!

I've heard of stylists saying some pretty silly things in my time, but this was one of the silliest. Did make me smile, though, so it was good for something.

UltraBella
November 6th, 2010, 12:59 AM
The stylist probably heard it from her grandmother, it is a common old wives tale and many people still believe it. I promise, they don't teach such silliness in beauty school.

kschr2004
November 6th, 2010, 06:08 AM
The stylist probably heard it from her grandmother, it is a common old wives tale and many people still believe it. I promise, they don't teach such silliness in beauty school.

Thanks for the information on where that statement came from! I had never heard it before, and wasn't sure if there was any truth to it or not.

Anje
November 6th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Hmmm.... so if you part it in the middle and never change it, will neither side grow?

kschr2004
November 6th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Hmmm.... so if you part it in the middle and never change it, will neither side grow?

I so wish I had thought to ask her that!

lajsa
November 6th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Weeeell, I part it down the middle if I part it at all (my natural part is sort of middle-ish too, so often I just leave it that way) and my hair doesn't seem to be growing much... but that's all moot, since I wouldn't have gotten to BSL if that was the case. Or maybe it really isn't growing, and I used some sort of secret woodoo art to get it this length! :D

aenflex
November 6th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I have heard, here and other places, that the human body is all about balance. I've heard that if you cut one area of your hair, your body will focus on that area and spend more enegry trying to get it back than it will spend trying to grow the uncut hair. I don't know if there is any truth to that at all, but I think somewhere along the lines there is, at least when it comes to the body constantly trying to balance itself.
As for the part thing, it does sound ludicrous to me :) I've heard it before from stylists as the salon where I used to work, and I always just shook my head and smiled. But, do I change my part every now and then for good measure? Yup!

wendyg
November 6th, 2010, 02:04 PM
My hair falls into a natural part, and I've parted it in more or less the same place for 43 years. No uneven growth, no thinning.

wg

CurlAhead
November 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM
What do you mean by "part your hair"? :oops:

mariika
November 6th, 2010, 02:47 PM
she (my stylist) said because I never change my part, that the hair to the left of my part will stop growing
HAHAHAHAHAHA

jera
November 6th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I've herd you can start thinning from the part if you never change it.

Actually that's true. Some Indian women I know have changed their parts because of this.

Though I'm not supersticious and never believe stylists I do experience more hair shedding on my left side since I started parting on the left. It may be something else and not the way I'm parting, but now this thread is going to make me hyper aware of it. :rolleyes:

ReluctantlyCurl
November 6th, 2010, 03:16 PM
This made me laugh entirely too hard.

Demetrue
November 6th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Hmmm - maybe it's a which came first, the chicken or the egg, type of thing. My hair naturally parts on the right side and it parts there because that is where there is a natural cowlick, and as my hair thins somewhat with age, it is most obvious at the natural part because the hair naturally grows away from each side of the part. So someone could say, your hair is thinning at the part because you keep parting it there, but I keep parting it there because that is where there is a natural "space" or "separation" in my hair right at that point, but it's always been there.

Valdeon
November 6th, 2010, 04:12 PM
There is some good old sense in what your stylist said.
If you part your hair at one particular side every time, the upper layer of your hair gets much more damage than the rest: the hair starts to thin out and tends to break more.
From personal experience, I always parted my hair in the middle, and at some point I noticed that the hair there looked much more processed than the under layers and although they grew at the same pace as the rest of my hair, the actual growth did me no good because of all the breakage. So now I change the way I part my hair every few months. It really helps!:cheese:

RitaPG
November 6th, 2010, 06:17 PM
If you part your hair at one particular side every time, the upper layer of your hair gets much more damage than the rest: the hair starts to thin out and tends to break more.
From personal experience, I always parted my hair in the middle, and at some point I noticed that the hair there looked much more processed than the under layers and although they grew at the same pace as the rest of my hair, the actual growth did me no good because of all the breakage.

This.
I part my hair in the middle as well, and the top layers seem far more "aged". Sun exposure made the top layers much lighter than the hair at the nape of the neck for example. When I do half ups you can really see the difference.
The top layers of hair are more exposed to the sun and daily erosion, that definitely doesn't mean your hair won't grow.
YMMV though, some people mention no difference whatsoever, maybe they do protective styles or simply have super hair :D

kschr2004
November 6th, 2010, 06:23 PM
This.
YMMV though, some people mention no difference whatsoever, maybe they do protective styles or simply have super hair :D

Thanks. I haven't really noticed that much of a difference, but I do wear my hair up a lot, especially as it has gotten longer. So maybe that helps to protect it some.

When I was younger I changed my part up a lot more. As I have gotten older, I guess I have gotten more set in my ways, and in my hair parting habits. :eyebrows:

meganashley
November 8th, 2010, 12:37 AM
lol sounds like rubbish. Same here, I have parted my hair on the right for 10+ years and deffinately haven't seen any growth issues on either side :S lol!

maria_asa
November 8th, 2010, 04:11 AM

My thoughts exactly. :D

brelj
November 8th, 2010, 05:39 AM
well, I think it's true for my hair that is....
My hair naturally part in the middle, but I part it on the left for +/- 8 years. The hair closest to my forehead is thinner on the left side. It has more baby hair, newgrowth, it looks like my breaks more easily on the left because I comb it so my hair parts on the left. It's not terrible, people don't think, 'she's bald', if they see me ;) But it is noticable for me!

curlymarcia
November 8th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I have very fine hair, and I frequently change my hair part because if I stick with one hair side for a long time I start loosing hair in the part area (is not a bold spot but is a lot less hair). Hope you don't have the same problem.