PDA

View Full Version : Washing hair

Saranne772
May 30th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I notice a lot of people talk about tiping their head forward when they are washing. I know most people seem to do this (my mother for example) but am I the only one who tips her head backwards?

eadwine
May 30th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I have tried backwards, but I got the ONE disadvantage that made me go forward in a heartbeat again: fishing out hair in V shape ;) :lol:

Iylivarae
May 30th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I always wash my hair while showering, so I don't bend forward, just a tiny bit backwards.

Islandgrrl
May 30th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I tip my head backward. Um, is this somehow wrong?

vidgrl007
May 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM
you know ive never really thought about it till now but i tip back.lol

Saranne772
May 30th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I tip my head backward. Um, is this somehow wrong?

No not wrong but it just seemed to me that lots (most?) people seem to tip their head forward/upside down/hair hanging down forwards to wash and rinse it.

daydreamer
May 30th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I always tip back a little too -- if I tip forward my hair will be a tangled, matted mess!

flapjack
May 30th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I usually shower, but if I have to wash or rinse it in a sink or something like that, I rinse forward.

Tapioca
May 30th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I wash my hair in the shower. I'll stand right under the water, tilting my head slightly back to keep it out of my eyes. When rinsing, I'll do the same thing until most of my scalp is rinsed, then I'll part my hair down the middle and stand kinda sideways, putting each side in turn under the waterflow while I comb with a wide-tooth comb.

Saranne772
May 30th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I always tip back a little too -- if I tip forward my hair will be a tangled, matted mess!

That is exactly why I cant understand washing tipped forward! I've always found that when Ive tried it too

n3m3sis42
May 30th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I always tip my head backward. It seems to be the only way I'm capable of washing my hair without (a) tangling it like crazy or (b) getting water/shampoo in my eyes and nose.

psvzum
May 30th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I tip back in the shower but forward when I wash in the sink.

Riot Crrl
May 30th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I have tried backwards, but I got the ONE disadvantage that made me go forward in a heartbeat again: fishing out hair in V shape ;) :lol:

Wait, am I reading this wrong? Do some people really lean forward to wash their hair to keep it from getting stuck in their butt?

eadwine
May 30th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Yep.

My hair isn't long enough TO get in the butt on its own.. but the hairs that shed lead me to have to run the finger through the ..

you get my drift.

Also, I miss some at times and I don't like missed hair ending up on the front side after a while, that HURTS you know!

tuuli
May 30th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I wash my hair in the shower. But I put my hair over my shoulder while rinsing out my conditioner. ;)

Lamb
May 30th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I get major tangles when I wash my hair in the shower, and since my hair, in this position, covers my scalp like a helmet, I cannot even massage my scalp properly! So I lean forward and wash my hair under the faucet. Something to do with where and how my hair grows, I guess.

someonesfaerie
May 30th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I tip back, seems easy you don't have to turn I guess. plus tipping froward adds tangles, I've tried. I also always keep moving it so it's back mostly and to the sides.

maskedrose
May 30th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I tip back too. I'm also a shower-washer, so I'm not sure how tipping forward would really work...

Morag
May 30th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I hold my head under the tub tap, so I'm already on my knees bending forward. And back when I washed in a shower, if I tilted my head back, even a little bit, I got water up my nose! :)

Darya
May 30th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I guess I tip back when rinsing straight back. I always wash in the shower but I usually side rinse one side at a time and if rinsing down my back I tip way back or sideways to avoid bum-floss. I do bring my hair around me to work on the ends if I need to work condish in or anything like that.

florenonite
May 30th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I tip backwards. Otherwise the shampoo ends up in my face/eyes.

Islandgrrl
May 30th, 2008, 05:57 PM
No not wrong but it just seemed to me that lots (most?) people seem to tip their head forward/upside down/hair hanging down forwards to wash and rinse it.

Even when my hair was still knee length I tipped back. Forward makes a matted mess of my hair, no matter what the length.

mira-chan
May 30th, 2008, 05:58 PM
That is exactly why I cant understand washing tipped forward! I've always found that when Ive tried it too

I wash my hair in a basin tipped forward. My hair is free float in the basin so all tangles just fall out. It's easier to get the herbs I wash with out that way. Plus my hair is not very tangle prone.

Wait, am I reading this wrong? Do some people really lean forward to wash their hair to keep it from getting stuck in their butt?

Classic/ thigh length hair here, need I say more? :uhh:

Anje
May 30th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I lean back a bit, or bring the length over one shoulder. It tangles a bit if I wash (or brush) upside down. I am curious how I'll have to change things when I'm getting past tailbone, not only for washing but for naturist tendencies.

When I try washing in the sink or rinsing under the tap, my hair tries to go down the drain.

Meli
May 30th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I can't wash my hair upside down - if I would do that, I have to detangle dry before the wash, and then either mermaid soak after the wash to get it back in order, or put it up under a towel or in a high bun until it's dry enough to detangle - which takes forever when my hair is contained. If I don't do this, I'll spend the rest of the day detangling that matted mess on my head... I also find it difficult to wash the crown area properly, because my length is in the way and I just get my hands stuck in it. So, I just let my hair run down my back and wash when I'm showering - way less hassle and no tangles.

naomimcc
May 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I always wash my hair while showering, so I don't bend forward, just a tiny bit backwards.

ditto......

rhosyn_du
May 30th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Okay, I've gotta ask. How do people wash with their heads tipped forward without getting soap/shampoo/cleaning-agent-of-choice in their eyes and water in their noses? I have a hard enough time washing bent forward when I'm just washing my bangs!

spidermom
May 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I either keep my head level or tip it slightly back. I would only wash it with my hair hanging forward if I had no choice.

Riot Crrl
May 30th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Well, I learn something new every day, you guys.

I used to have tailbone but somehow I never had the rear end issue. At least of hair that was still attached to my head. Of sheds I did, but those are easily disposed. Maybe my hair was not long enough.

Leisha
May 30th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I wash my hair bent forwards (I mean bent at the waist, hanging over the bath, head more or less upside down - I don't wash my hair while showering).

So I guess that's different than tipped forwards? (While standing up)

Anyway the reason I do that is, I think, mostly habit. It just seems really unnatural to me to try to wash my hair with my head tipped back (or forward) while standing up. :D

But some specific reasons:
a) I find it soooooo much easier to apply shampoo all over my scalp, massage my scalp and (especially) to get everything rinsed out again. Otherwise all my hair is in the way, I can hardly get my fingers on my scalp.

b) It's not exactly good for my back, I think, but when I try to wash my hair with my head tipped back, my neck hurts so much! The weight of the wet hair makes it feel like there is a person holding on to my hair and pulling my head back/down.

c) I get less tangles this way.