PDA

View Full Version : Explosion of damage after a trim?

eri401
November 5th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I've got a strange development of split ends and "dead" spots and am not sure what caused it.

In fact, I recently got a trim - cleared away around 1 inch of ends all around and also asked for long layers. My stylist was very respectful of my wishes to keep my hair long and he never used a razor. I never noticed any split ends before the trim. Moreover, wouldn't a trim get RID of any splits I did have?

Now, he DID brush my hair while wet with a fine tooth comb and my hair was blow dried. However, my hair is relatively coarse and strong and I somehow doubt that such damage came from 1 day of styling after months of gentle care.

I just moved to the East Coast about a month ago, so it could be the change in water. HOWEVER, the water here is much softer and cleaner than the water back where I was from.

What could it be?!

littlenvy
November 5th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Not sure, but could it be his scissors?? If they weren't sharp enough they could cause splilts.
Did you feel a pull/tag when he was cutting?

misstwist
November 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Have you changed shampoo and conditioner lately?

I had horrible splits after I quit using coney products. The silicone was smoothing the splits together, disguising them.

Took a couple months to get rid of them.

Good luck figuring it out!

luxepiggy
November 5th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I also suspect dull scissors!

BrightEyes7
November 5th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I third the idea of dull scissors! I once did a trim after my DBF used my hair shears for something else, I don't even remember what, but it dulled the scissors with just one use of something besides hair trim... my hair looked worse than before the trim.

Dull scissors for sure!

Anje
November 5th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Dull scissors are the likely culprit, unless you've recently switched your silicone use. Silicones tend to disguise splits, so you may see an explosion of them if you decide to go cone-free. (Meanwhile, I get more splits from silicone use. I don't know whether that's from the dryness from the silicones, or from the extra shampooing that the routine requires. But I'm weird.)

Hana212
November 5th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Have you changed shampoo and conditioner lately?

I had horrible splits after I quit using coney products. The silicone was smoothing the splits together, disguising them.

Took a couple months to get rid of them.

Good luck figuring it out!

That must be why I've noticed so many! I've recently gone cone free... thanks for clearing that up :)

christine1989
November 5th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Dull scissors is the only logical explanation (unless it was somehow there and hiding before). I'm suprised though because most salons are careful to have very sharp scissors. It could also be the products he used on your hair.

Igor
November 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I think you have some excellent suggestions here. My only suggestion other than what have already been mentioned is that maybe you are now more aware and looking at your ends more than previously. If you look more thoroughly, you will probably find more splits than if you tend to not look at all

gotzbrainz
November 7th, 2010, 03:34 PM
definetley caused by dull scissors. with out a dought, do a dusting with really sharp ones and your problem will be fixed