PDA

View Full Version : Your workplace and hair length

Dreamkitty
November 5th, 2010, 09:30 AM
In your workplace, do most of the people you work with have short or long hair? I was wondering if the Job or the environment a person works in has a rule against hair length or what type of hairstyle you have.

I work in a hospital, most of the nurses/doctors/radiographers have hair on the shorter side. And long hair must be tied back and not let out, to keep tidy and for hygiene reasons.

The people I work with are older then me, with very short hair. Most of them have chin length and the longest hair length ive seen is APL. I kind of feel weird since, Im surrounded by people with very short hair, as my hair gets longer I feel like it is coming in the way.

Once I had my hair in a ponytail and the hair actually got stuck in one of the equipment, and it was so hard pulling it out, I actually ended up pulling out a few strands and that was very embarassing too.:o So now whenever I go to work, I just do a simple braid. When my hair gets more longer, I think it will be better for me to do a bun.

aenflex
November 5th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I work in a large office building with no resitrictions other than our hair must be predominantly of a natural colour. There are lots of us, and lots of different hair. But all the males have short hair and really, so do most of the females. Out of about 90+ females probably 10-15 of them have long hair, maybe 20. Rest in the above or at shoulders realm.

spidermom
November 5th, 2010, 09:36 AM
My work station is at home, but there is a woman in the billing department at the hospital I work for who has been growing her hair along with me. Every time I've seen her, our hair has been about the same length. We're about the same age and going silver/white, too. I haven't seen her in a year, though.

eresh
November 5th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I work at an animalshelter and have to wear my hair up.
Otherwise it could be a hazard.
So I do the braided pinless bun usually, that also fits nicely under the white quaranteen-overalls

RachieBaby
November 5th, 2010, 10:05 AM
At the moment I only work saturdays in a call centre so I normally have it up though it doesn't matter if I leave it down.

Im training to be a nurse though so im trying to get into a habit of putting my hair in braids or in a bun :) figure it'll be good for the future :) I also start voluntary work in a nursing home soon, so I think it'll be best kept in a bun for that :)

SpinDance
November 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM
My workplace is an office with mostly computer professionals. Most people have short hair, but there are a few with longer hair as well. I think mine is the longest, by a few inches, at least that I have seen. There used to be 2 men in the building with long hair. One had beautiful long black hair, which he usually wore in a simple ponytail. He has since moved. The other kept his spiral curly hair in a braid most of the time. He has since cut his hair very short, after it got to BCL.

Belisarius
November 5th, 2010, 10:12 AM
At my floor there is only one guy with short hair and I am the person whose hair is shortest after that. :-) But I work as a system administrator and with programmers and such. Although the other people at the company not at my floor have short hair.

nellreno
November 5th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I work in retail, and I think I have the longest hair at the store. Most have between chin length and APL, and some BSL, and the few guys at the store all have short hair. So far no one's said anything about my hair and it doesn't really get in the way. If it gets close to classic or longer, I'm not sure if it will become a problem.

tinti
November 5th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I just started to work in a grocery store twice a week. There's no restrictions, but we wear really hot jackets (seriously, fleece, it's more of the sporty outside jackets thingies), so I wear it up. First day I were there I wore my hair loose, it was so worm, I was melting :lol: So now it's off the neck.

LawyerGirl
November 5th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I work in a law/accounting office... one of the attorneys has a secretary with APL hair (bleached blond) and I think an accountant has shoulder-length hair... everyone else is short.

Niwa
November 5th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hardly anyone has long hair at my workplace. A few women have roughly armpit length hair, but that is about as long as it gets before one draws potentially harmful attention.

I believe having very long hair might have contributed to an intern being the only one not to be hired. Her hair was longer than tailbone and possibly classic length, very thick, and very well taken care of. People cast unpleasant glances at her and made snide comments among themselves about how "weird" and "creepy" it was that she kept her hair so long. Eventually, the decision was made not to hire her not because her work was bad, but because she "didn't fit in." I am 99% sure it was about her hair.

Monsterkitti
November 5th, 2010, 10:30 AM
We have all kind of hair lengths where I work but mainly SL/APL, the longest being around waist length. I wear mine up but thats cause I work with chemcials so it needs to be out of the way.

cindy58
November 5th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I work in an office of 80+ people. I think I have the longest hair, one lady about 10 years older is getting close in length to me.

Cholera
November 5th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I have the longest hair where I work, but there's only one other woman that works there. We don't have a strict dress code, so I either wear it in a bun or low ponytail if I feel like showing off the length a little.

OrangeStripe
November 5th, 2010, 11:32 AM
In my current job at a supermarket, I far and away have the longest hair, with noone having hair longer than shoulder length. There are a couple of guys with hair long enough to put up in ponytails, and noone says anything about it. I wear my hair in a plait because it's a sheltered enviroment, and I have got nothing but admiring comments from customers. These comments are part of the reason I always have my hair in a plait and not a bun :D

However, in my last job as a waitress, my hair was only waist length, and I would alternate between plaits and high ponytails. Everyone else had around shoulderlength hair, and most left it down (untidy). I found this to be a double standard when I was told to put my hair AWAY, NOW, even though I was the only one with my hair tied back at all :(

luthien_belewen
November 5th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I have the longest hair of all my coworkers..and I'm barely past shoulder length! Most of my co workers are women and they all cut their hair super short. There's one lady with shoulder length hair though.

Siava
November 5th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I work in an office building and there aren't any rules about hair here. I've had hot pink streaks and traffic light red. The GM was not fond of the streaks (wouldn't talk to me :lol: ), but didn't mind the red at all.

As for length, my inspirational buddy is an ex-coworker with long hair that gets maintained between tailbone and classic depending on her mood. Another co-worker has waist length. I'm nearing waist. Everyone else has shoulder length or shorter. Well, except for another co-worker. She gets her hair done every week so one day it'll be a bob and the next it'll be waist. :lol:

Niwa, that's sad.

pepperminttea
November 5th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I 'work' in a charity shop. All of the elderly lady volunteers have short hair - long pixie is about as long as it gets, often permed and dyed. My two bosses - middle-aged - both have between shoulder and APL hair, dyed (blonde and bright auburn, respectively) and always worn down. They do trim frequently though, their ends are always tidy.

I could wear my hair down, but we're quite busy, it's easier to wear it out the way. I normally opt for a braided style so even if it does fall out, it's still contained. :)

akka naeda
November 5th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I don't have a job right now, but I'd have the longest hair there if I did :-)
I do conservation volunteering and most others are male. They have short hair (or no hair at all), and so I easily have the longest hair, no doubt I'd qualify for the drystone waller with the longest hair in the country.

No-one has ever said to me that I must wear my hair in a specific way, but then IMO only an idiot would do chainsawing with their hair loose if it was longer than shouderlength. I wear my hair in a plaited bun, and if necessary I can then undo the bun and put the plait down my shirt to keep it out of the way for when I have to be wearing a hard hat.

slythwolf
November 5th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I work in retail and am the only person (so far--there are people I haven't met) with hair longer than shoulder. I wear it up all the time, and the comments I have gotten have been "that's a pretty color" and "where did you get your hair...thingy?" (One of the ladies on my particular team, I think, is a longhair wannabe; she is very interested in my hair toys and how long it took me to grow out. But she is over 40 and seems to have bought into the idea that she is not "allowed" to have long hair.)

Our dress code is "business casual" (probably the least well-defined phrase in the English language, lol) but/and we have some younger ladies with toned-down "scene" hair.

heidihug
November 5th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I work in a building with about 200 other people, and the longest hair other than mine is probably BSL. Just probably, since I can't offhand think of anyone here right now whose hair is longer than shoulder.

I never wear my hair down at work other than a very occasional braid on casual Fridays. Probably 99% of the people I work with have no idea I have long hair, and I prefer to keep it that way.

Dyefree
November 5th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I'm a dentist, so my hair has to be up all the time, which means at my length my options are pretty limited. I'm sure once my hair is longer there's lots of up-do's I'll be able to play with :)

enfys
November 5th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I've only worked in small companies. My last job was as the receptionist for an IT company. There was only one other female, who had shoulder length hair that was dyed a vibrant red. She was the owner's partner. All other employees were male with short hair. My DH worked there too and we ran the spectrum; his was shortest, mine was longest :D

Before that I worked in an art shop and one co-worker start after me and had hair the same length as mine. We were both growing out from about BSL but she doesn't want to pass TB so she can wear her hair down. We got on great and learnt a lot about haircare from each other.

Now I'm a design student and have the longest hair (TB+) I've seen on campus. Most of the students want to do crazy, unique things with their hair rather than grow it. Making me more unique, ironically.

ange1ito
November 5th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I work with teenagers in care, mostly i prefer to wear it down, i would love to pull it back, as the teenagers will sometimes play with your hair.
I really felt for a girl once, who had her hair pulled out at the root, when there was an incident of challenging behaviour whilst she was on duty. I always get a little freaked if they ever touch my hair because of this!!! The young people think I'm a little :crazyq: about my hair...lol

mira-chan
November 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I work in a college lab. We have the full range of hair lengths here from buzz to past knee. Everyone who has it long enough to tie back does so, that's it.

Avvoltoio
November 5th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I am a software developer in an office, where 30 people works. There is only three women, who have short hair (pixie, chin, and shoulder length), and two man with chin, and shoulder length hair, all other have very short hair, so there i have the longest hair.
We cooperate, with the softver engeenering department of the University of Szeged, i need to go sometimes there to do some work. There works about 70 people, but nobody have longer hair than mine. The same with the university, about people who learn program design i have the longest hair.

BrightEyes7
November 5th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I work in a tax accounting office. There aren't many of us... 4 including me. One is a guy, who has short hair. Another is a lady who has pixie/grandma hair. And the other lady has about APL but somtimes she lets it grow longer but never past BSL.

I on the other hand have waist/hip length. I wear it down. The only restriction is it has to be clean/tidy and of a natural color.

But it isn't just the hair part that makes me not fit in... they are all at least 30+ years older than me... I'm the odd man out in a lot of situations so the only one with really long hair doesn't bother me!

Madora
November 5th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Before I retired 11 years ago, I worked in an office with 5 attorneys and at least 5 other legal secretaries. There were no rules about length. All they stressed was that you be neat in appearance and be on time!

Most of the secretaries had short hair (barely touching their necks). I was the maverick with my past waist length hair, which I nearly always wore up. Never got any flack or unpleasant remarks about its length either. I cannot fathom why anyone would consider well kept long hair "creepy"!! Some folks have weird ideas about what's "creepy"!!

Shellby
November 5th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Now mine is the longest. When I first started there was one woman who had waist length hair. She grows it for Locks of Love. So every 2 years or so she cuts it off to shoulder. It was gorgeous! Waist length, super thick and healthy, and naturally red. My former manager had longer hair than me, I think. She was shorter than me, so maybe we were even. LOL. She got promoted to another store. In my department, I work with mostly men and they all have short hair. The other women in the company all have short to APL lengths. I wear it in a braid most days. Today I wore it up to see if my head would hurt. So far so good. I want to wear it up more often. On a side note: most of the guys like me to wear it down and loose. None of their wives/girlfriends have hair longer than shoulder length.

isbmlamloi
November 5th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I started working at this office (in a university) this month, and my co-workers joked that after me, we needed to start instilling a hair-length policy. My boss (F) has chin-length hair, one of my male co-workers has short "normal" guy hair and the other has APL, one of my female coworkers has WL and the other TBL, and then there's me between TB and classic. Something about New England and the academic circles helps people with long hair, I think!

Loviatar
November 5th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I think I actually have the second longest hair in my department. An Ecuadorian girl has BSL hair, everyone else is shoulder or shorter. My supervisor has an asymmetric crop which is very cute.

There are a lot of Asian ladies in another dept though who have waist length-ish hair. And there was one guy in IT who had TB-length dreadlocks. That was awesome.

Niwa
November 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Most of the secretaries had short hair (barely touching their necks). I was the maverick with my past waist length hair, which I nearly always wore up. Never got any flack or unpleasant remarks about its length either. I cannot fathom why anyone would consider well kept long hair "creepy"!! Some folks have weird ideas about what's "creepy"!!There are secretaries at my place of work with hair longer than the norm, and with all sorts of styles, but the white collar professionals have to be more careful.

dropinthebucket
November 5th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Ok, I actually sat in the quad yesterday on campus and counted!

Out of 223 girls who walked by during the hour and half I sat there, 193 had APL or longer; 119 had BSL or longer; 34 had close to WL.

Not one of the girls was wearing her hair up. Most of them look like they have straightened. Two of the girls were wearing a long side braid. So .... long hair is definitely the norm on our campus, and I'm the only one I've ever seen with hairsticks, forks, or flexis. It probably dates me ;) - ya know, it's not "in."

*Most* of it looks real to me, too - I think? Maybe one of the braids not so much; the rest, I think it was real.

Drarra
November 5th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I work in an office building, and we, too, have the unclear "business casual" as our dress code (with a few restrictions). There are roughly 250 of us in this location. There are perhaps 6 with hair longer than APL. Three of us work in the same department. Mostly, it's women with hair SL or shorter.

I'm the only one who wears it up. One of the women in the department was complaining that she doesn't know what to do with her hair (it's close to WL), and I gave her the link here.... but I don't think she's looked.

Tangles
November 5th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I work in an office setting and a surprising number of women have APL-BSL hair. I have noticed that most of the female managers keep their hair shoulder length though.

ghost
November 5th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I work at Starbucks. I think I have the longest hair there: most of the women have shoulder length to APL hair, and mine is almost to my waist. The guys all have short hair.
The length isn't a problem for me while I'm at work, I just put it in a ponytail, or in a bun if I'm on bar.

Now What?
November 5th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I work for my grandparent's small business. They have two locations and the one I work at has only me, my grandpa, and my grandma. I have almost BSL my grandma's has the over 40 pixie, and yet I *still* do not have the longest hair in the office. Crazy beatnik Grandpa! :)

IcarusBride
November 5th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hehe, I work at a small family-fun hotel which I'm the only non-relative employee, and also the only female. My coworker with the next longest hair, his hair is probably 4 inches long if you stretch out the tight curls.

christine1989
November 5th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I work at a pretty busy clothing store downtown and most of the people I work with have really trendy, short dos like asymmetrical bobs and tons of layers. One girl there has (had) beautiful waist length hair then she dyed it bleach blonde and now it looks so fried. :(

CrowningGlory
November 5th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I work in a female dominated profession and I would have the longest hair. The next closest would be between BSL and waist. I wear mine up all the time. It's just easier when you're working with children. Most of those I work with put their hair in a pony if it's long enough. I've had people not recognise me away from the workplace if my hair is down!

tanya222
November 5th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I work in coffee shop and I'm easily the longest haired person there. One other woman has about WL gray/brown mix hair, and one guy has long hair, about APL or so. One baker girl has mid-back length or so... But nobody knows how long my hair is as I don't take it down after my shift, it is always up. And hairnets are mandatory for everyone no matter length of hair. Nearly everyone else lets theirs down when they're done but I don't want tangles or snags on the back of the bus seats!

akuamoonmaui
November 5th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I am student teaching so I typically wear my hair in a bun of varying styles. (Think head lice prevention) It's also more professional looking.

At my "day job"on Saturdays (I work 6 days a week) I usually wear it down. It's a male oriented field so I work the girly thing.

LaLaBella
November 5th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I work in a hospital & the policy in my dept is that anything shoulder length or longer must be either pulled back or put up. Fortunately, my hair is very curly so I can get away with letting it go for a little while so the back can catch up some.

verene
November 5th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I work in an in-house legal department I have the longest hair in my work place by far - I think the next closest in length is our tech guy with wurly-curly hair at just past apl. All of the women in my office have apl or shorter, though there is a woman in the neighboring department with bsl cornrows.

Our company has 2 other offices in the town I work in - so I suspect that were I to go to one of the other locations I might find more long hair, but I'm really not sure. Occasionally it does make me feel a little awkward that my hair is SO much longer than everyone else's but I still have the respect of my co-workers and superiors so it doesn't really matter.

Sunsailing
November 5th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I teach. There seems to be no rules for hair length.
I have the longest hair at my building. In fact, I believe I have the longest hair in the district. (I always wear it pulled back).

sailing
November 6th, 2010, 01:52 AM
In my dorm, 2 girls have WL hair, my roomie has hip or so. The rest - 24 - have APL to BSL. Curly, I have low BSL or high waist. Pulled straight, I am mid thigh. Teachers have SL to BSL it seems. Guys have short here. Rules are neat, up for labs.

Debra83
November 6th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Where I work, there are about 30 of us...3 guys, the rest women. I think I have the 2nd longest or 3rd longest hair there. I'll be catching up eventually. About half the women have their hair above shoulder, the other half longer than shoulder in varying degrees. All the men have it above shoulder. I can't believe how "quickly" mine grew in the last 2 years compared to where I was when I started!

noelgirl
November 6th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I work retail, and my hair is the longest by far. There are 4 men and 4 women working there. Of the men, one is bald, two have short hair, and one has shoulder-length which he usually wears in a ponytail. Of the women, two have short hair, one has shoulder-length, and then there's me, hovering around waist. The dress code only states that hair has to appear "neat and combed," but either there's a wide interpretation of that or nobody pays attention, because nobody's said anything even when my hair is looking pretty messy. But I do usually wear it up or half-up, because I'm always running around straightening the sales floor and helping customers, and I get distracted if my hair gets in my face too much.

Jenn of Pence
November 6th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I work in a government research lab, but we're very low key as far as dress and style (being in Boulder, CO, most everyone is casual and a little "hippie" ;)). There's not a terribly large number of women in the building, and most I'd say are shoulder length and above with very few pixies that I notice. I share an office with two other girls, and all of us have mid-back/waist length hair. And interestingly, the girl I used to share an office with (and who's still my good friend) is Indian and keeps mid-back hair as well, although she's recently gotten lots of long, choppy layers, and it's around APL now. I see a lady around sometimes who is Asian with long, thick, salt and pepper hair. It's usually around waist/TB, but at one point she cut it about APL or so and has grown it back since. One guy who was in my group had mid-back, straight blond hair that he wore in a low pony, although it seemed a little broken but could use just a touch of care to look really nice; he has since moved on. And there's a new guy on the hall in another group who has very nice, mid-back wavy blond hair that he keeps in a low pony every day. It seems to be in great condition!

teela1978
November 6th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I work at a small biotech company. There are 5 women there, 2 of us have hair past waist length, the rest are above shoulder. Oddly, we're the only two who actually do lab work, thus necessitating it being worn up. The short hairs are all office/finance/hr type people. I think long hair is a bit more acceptable in the sciences than elsewhere.

mariika
November 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I'm a student and there's one girl (out of 80) with tailbone hair and she wears it down most of the time, there are about 5 girls with hardly BSL hair and me - wearing it up all the time, past BSL when wet - not your longest hair if you keep in mind I'm damn curly.
Btw I really don't get the trend 'professionals need to cut their hair regularly' - wtf?

I work in a large office building with no resitrictions other than our hair must be predominantly of a natural colour.
Wow, I like that restriction:))) So you have no platinum blondes???? I cannot believe that! Can I get a job at your place??
P.S. Is that restriction aimed at those getting violet or bright red/green/etc hair?

I believe having very long hair might have contributed to an intern being the only one not to be hired
OMG!!! Your story is compelling!! I just cannot belive this. Tailbone is not even creepy long and if she wore it in a ponytail it must've ended around waist - what is wrong with these people???? I just do not understand.... Well, or maybe I do. Did she wear stylish clothes? Because if not only her hair was "conservative" but her overall look maybe it's her look, not hair that prevented her to fit in.

I started working at this office (in a university) this month, and my co-workers joked that after me, we needed to start instilling a hair-length policy.
I wouldn't find jokes like that funny. If they said either I cut my hair or they fire me, I'd quit. Then again, I'm the person who quit because of severe airconditioning.

MinderMutsig
November 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I see a lot of BSL to WL hair at campus. I haven't spotted anything longer than waist but I'm sure they are there.

I have a lot of growing to do before my hair will stand out in any way.

Hiriel
November 6th, 2010, 04:01 PM
At uni, most female students have long-ish hair, between APL and BSL is most common I guess, but waist isn't that rare either. And plenty of male students have long hair as well, though most of them have short hair. Among the faculty, the hair seems to be shorter all around, but there are definitely longhairs there. Unfortunately, one of the coolest professors cut his hair. He had APL grey hair in a pony tail, and liked to style himself "the mad professor with the flame thrower" :D

At work, we're almost all women, and again the most common length is BSL, also for the over 40's. Only one man with long hair. At hip length, I probably have the second or third longest hair. One of my fellow guides has beautiful classic length blonde hair, and another has long grey hair, always up in the exact same elaborate hairdo. I have no idea how long it is, she has friends she's known for 40+ years who didn't recognise her with her hair down, that's how often she wears it down ;) But it must be fairly long, I'm guessing about my length or so.

ETA: At work, long hair is generally worn up - my friend who's recently let her hair grow to almost BSL discovered why when she lit her hair on fire by leaning over to blow out a candle ;)

KittyLost
November 6th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I work in Wilkinsons and there is no rule on length (or colour thankfully), everyone's hair is either short or APL. There is one women I work with who has tailbone length dark brown curly hair but she always keeps it in a bun. And there is a bleach blonde with BSL.

Long hair isn't really common where I am, they're all still on the pob and rhianna cut trend.

Pierre
November 6th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I work in a small office (normal size is 8, but we've been down to 4 since the housing bubble burst) and I'm the only one with long hair. I did freak out my boss a bit the first time I hennaed.

Coan-Teen
November 6th, 2010, 04:55 PM
It's uncommon to see long hair in my profession (child care). The longest I've seen was a Japanese woman who had tailbone length hair that she always wore up, but it was really damaged for the last foot or so. The second longest is a woman who has somewhere between APL and BSL. She always wears a ponytail so it's hard to judge exactly where it falls.

Xi
November 6th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I, too, work in a hospital. Off hand, I can think of one consultant whose hair is definitely WL or longer (she keeps it up always, so hard to know exactly). I have had mine bunned since day 1 -- protective for hair & sensible for job.

chargersfan
November 6th, 2010, 05:56 PM
There are only 4 women at my office, and the longest besides me is around APL, the other 2 are shorter. All of the men have very short hair.

Chamomile betty
November 6th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I am a teacher and I always wear my hair up. Since my hair is past bs I have been wearing a low bun. Most others have shorter, trendy hairstyles. I can count on one hand hair that is near bs length and that would include mine also.

greentealeaf
November 6th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I'm a teacher as well and definitely have the longest hair in the school. The longest I've seen is just maybe two inches past shoulder length.

Lorz
November 6th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I work in a laboratory and most people have between chin length and APL. Whenever we are working in a biosafety hood, we have to wear a bonnet. It's tough to find a hairstyle that isn't constantly messed up by the bonnet going on and off, so most people keep it short or tied back.

jasper
November 6th, 2010, 07:40 PM
There are at least two coworkers with hair longer than mine, and about 50% or so who have what the world outside LHC would call long hair.

It's an elementary school, and so there is a lot of mid back to waist length hair, but most of the people wearing it are under age 10. I wear my hair up all the time at work.

rosek
November 7th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I work as a scientist, so all long hair has to be up (for some very good reasons!). I find its really beneficial for my hair's condition - its like I'm in the updo challenge every day. I usually bun it, because my braid is long enough it can swing around and fall into what I'm working on. Not pleasant at all!

wendyg
November 7th, 2010, 06:34 AM
slythwolf: what is scene hair?

wg

Bianca
November 7th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I work in a bakery, so I have to have my hair up all the time. So annoying, and my hair gets full of flour everyday :(

My co workers actually all have some what long hair. My gf there have bsl lenght hair. One has shoulder, and the two other girls have about apl and bsl. The bakery is in a big supermarked, and I have seen a couple girls with long waist and tb lenght hair. But the majority do have short/chin/shoulder lenght hair...

Longlocks3
November 7th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I work in health care, directly with patients. There aren't really any restrictions but I keep my hair up all the time. I don't want any of my hair to strangle any patients. :P

There are also certain situations that may arise where having hair down would be VERY inconvenient. Mainly, when there is a need for preforming CPR. Doing chest compression would get really tricky with long hair down.

I think the longest hair I've seen at work is probably waist. A girl in emergency has long hair that she does wear down surprisingly.

Ludde
November 28th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Double post

Xandergrammy
November 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I believe having very long hair might have contributed to an intern being the only one not to be hired. Her hair was longer than tailbone and possibly classic length, very thick, and very well taken care of. People cast unpleasant glances at her and made snide comments among themselves about how "weird" and "creepy" it was that she kept her hair so long. Eventually, the decision was made not to hire her not because her work was bad, but because she "didn't fit in." I am 99% sure it was about her hair.

This is just wrong. :sad

RocketDog
February 21st, 2011, 03:07 PM
I groom dogs, so my hair is up every single day for protection and to keep it out of all the craziness. I can't imagine trying to use a stand drier with my almost waist-length hair down, it would probably end up getting sucked into the drier, let alone covered with drool and all the other fun things that get all over me at work. The owner doesn't care what my hair looks like as long as it's tidy, her hair is in a 'granny pixie' and the other two ladies both have shoulder/APL ish hair that is always worn up just like mine.

Katurday
February 21st, 2011, 03:27 PM
I work at a grocers. All the girls have hair ranging from APL to waist. All the men have chin and up hair. Me? I have the shortest girl hair at pixie, saving me from tying it up.

Toad Squalor
February 21st, 2011, 03:46 PM
I teach. There seems to be no rules for hair length.
I have the longest hair at my building. In fact, I believe I have the longest hair in the district. (I always wear it pulled back).
I've noticed that as well-- in the school I work for, the hair length on women ranges from pixie to near-waist length, with a ton of variation in between. Most of the teachers wear their hair in the "shoulder to APL" range and most of the administrators have short hair, with the exceptions of a couple of ladies-- they wear their hair at APL to BSL.

veganstein
February 21st, 2011, 04:25 PM
There are only 2 women in my department. My coworker has shoulder length hair, the guys' hair is all short.

elaiesusandavie
February 21st, 2011, 04:26 PM
3 of us are in a "GROW IT" challenge...so we will be the longest one day!

trilobite
February 21st, 2011, 04:59 PM
At my job, I have the longest hair of the adults. I think the long hair is considered odd, possibly "lower class". There seems to be just a few preferred hairstyles, but school teachers are a little more "conservative" or conforming in their approach to dress. I like that it sets me apart. When I started wearing it up it seemed to please both me and others I come in contact with and it kept it out of the way and from being a distraction.

kteachone
February 21st, 2011, 05:11 PM
I teach Pre-K in a public school, and most of the teachers have chin or shoulder length hair, and some even shorter. There's one aide who has beautiful hair, but she just cut it to APL.

My hair is the longest by far, but I typically wear it up because it gets in the way of painting and dancing with 4 year olds!

I don't think they care about length, but it does have to be a natural color.

Cirafly24
February 21st, 2011, 06:05 PM
I work in a large office building with about 2000 people, and there are no rules governing hair length/style...most of the women have hair between shoulder and APL, but there are certainly a lot of women with longer hair. In my department, there are two other women with TBL hair, and I have seen a few on other floors with hair even longer. Mine is not yet the longest :)

Speckla
February 21st, 2011, 06:44 PM
We have about 40 women at work and my hair is the 2nd longest. I do medical coding in a fairly casual office and no one really says anything anymore because they're used to my longer hair.

thirstylocks
February 21st, 2011, 07:17 PM
I work at a historic house and I'm the youngest person there, and I have the longest hair and its not even that long. I also have the messiest hair! I sometimes feel self conscious about it.

ashlayne
February 21st, 2011, 07:26 PM
Right now I'm still in college, so I guess that counts? ;) I'm a networking (IT admin) major, and one of three ladies in my capstone class. The older lady (I'm fair sure I'm the middle of us three as far as age) keeps her hair at what I'm *pretty* sure is SL, although the way she styles it it's always curled under, BIG, and chin length. The younger one has hair as stick-straight as mine, but keeps it just above SL. Considering hte rest of the class are guys with buzz cuts or at most, a full head of short hair, it makes me feel a little out of place!! :D But mine is usually kept up out of the way with Linziclips or hairsticks, sometimes a braid. (You just *try* having loose hair as long as mine -- a few inches past BSL -- around computers!!)

One day, I went to the computer lab (in the same room as my class) to get some help with one of the topics, and the tutor, who is in my capstone class with me, commented because I left my hair down. He said, "Where'd all that hair come from??" I just chuckled and said I usually just wore it up. ;)

ladylovecraft
February 21st, 2011, 07:53 PM
I don't technically "work" yet as I don't get paid, but as a nursing student we have clinicals which are kind of like an internship...

Obviously in the medical field hair must be kept up if it is long and typically of a more "natural" color. In my particular program we're required to keep hair/makeup very natural looking, though I think once we get out into the workforce there will be more leniency. The school itself just doesn't want to look "bad", per se... :rolleyes:

Most of my classmates have shorter hair... my hair is only APL and there's only one girl whose hair is longer than mine, and it's only BSL. (It is gorgeous though!) I found it odd the other day that some other students were making comments about how long her hair was... gee, if they knew how long mine will be some day! Hah!

Monkie
February 21st, 2011, 09:18 PM
It varies, but I work for a company with a lot of other 'young' people working in the office, so I see a lot of long hair, one girl always ponytails it, another wears it down. It depends.
I used to work in a bakery, and before that as a waitress. I kept my hair at shoulder length the entire time because at longer than that, I would have had to tie it up, per my state's health code. I felt like at shoulder I wasn't limited to wearing it up all the time for work.

always-remember
February 21st, 2011, 09:25 PM
I work in a supermarket, but off currently due to back surgery. When i went for my job interview, i wore it in a bun, so no one noticed. my first day i wore it in a braid and the whispers still have not stopped for 1.5years.I live in a small town, only moved here 2 years ago. When they saw my hair braided managers asked me if i was intending on cutting it! most certainly not! they made me change my hair colour to also get a job there. it was a deep purple mahogany they asked me to go brown. i thought that was an odd request. so i put a red hue through it. ive been trying for years to get the black off my natural blode hair. sloow progress. im not going to go backwards. most people are between pixie & brastrap. they seem to get away with red & black stripes,purple,blue etc. but not me. mine is the longest by far in the shop and in town. they constantly make jokes in regards to my hair.they call me witch. i'm known as the one with the long hair. every 5-6th customer makes note of my hair. not always nice.'is that real' 'wow thats some long hair' 'someone i know has long hair''did you steal that from a horse' ' why are you a freak''do you think your angelina jolie' AND so on... i have one older gentleman that comes up to me all the time. always wanting to touch & smell it =S he says i remind him of his great grandmother. I get mistaken for a Brethren ALOT. their not really welcome in our town. they come in to shop occasionally. i love talking to them about hair when i get the oppertunity. i grew up with a lot of the females. lots of classic - floor & beyond. as they are not allowed to cut it. workmates are cruel to them same as other customers. i know of one girl that was attacked & they cut her hair off, it was at her knees.:mad:
Some really cruel backwater people here. beautiful town though! Sorry this was so long i got carried away. It gets to me.:(

ladylovecraft
February 21st, 2011, 09:34 PM
i know of one girl that was attacked & they cut her hair off, it was at her knees.:mad:
Some really cruel backwater people here. beautiful town though! Sorry this was so long i got carried away. It gets to me.:(

Whoa... what? They attacked her and cut her hair off?! I seriously hope these people were arrested and punished, that's just not cool. Hair is a personal image choice, and it's not hurting anyone... other people don't get to choose what you look like. Grr!

Kristin
February 21st, 2011, 09:46 PM
I'm a teacher and probably have the longest hair in our building at an inch past waist. Most of the women have shoulder-lengthish hair. The only problem with having long hair is that the kids always want to touch and play with it (even in 8th grade).

always-remember
February 21st, 2011, 09:52 PM
Whoa... what? They attacked her and cut her hair off?! I seriously hope these people were arrested and punished, that's just not cool. Hair is a personal image choice, and it's not hurting anyone... other people don't get to choose what you look like. Grr!

The horrible thing is that they weren't found. Her congragation were going to ex communicate her for having it cut off,But i know there must be people that know but they wont speak. if you sneeze too loud the town knows by the end of the day. She was going to get married 'arranged' he changed his mind because of her hair. They see it as she's not worthy or it wouldn't have happened. She is 23 same as me. the police around here don't like the Brethren as there is all types of disputes over polygamy, religion and fraud cases in the region. They view people differently from other religions. It's against the law and nobody stops them. The towns people try to control everything. If there's people the town doesn't like they'll try to drive them out of it. :mad: We bought a 1850's house and will not move! we have to stand up and fight for equality

wvgemini
February 21st, 2011, 09:52 PM
Mine is easy. All the guys have short hair or are bald (shaved or natural) and all of the women either have hair above the collar or have to wear it neatly pulled up (no ponytails, nothing below the collar). Sometimes there are perks to the military ... like not having to worry about your hair or outfit, lol.

ScarlettAdelle
February 21st, 2011, 09:56 PM
When I was at the salon I had the second longest (when I left I was about waist) and the girl with the longest and I constantly got hassled about cutting our hair into more "fun" styles.

Now, I'm in a different industry and up until a few weeks ago I had the second longest in the company. Second only to the driver, who had about tailbone. He just cut his to about bsl (or the male equivalent) and mine just reached tailbone.

wandlimb
February 22nd, 2011, 03:33 AM
I work in a college and have the longest hair in my department. Most women have their hair shoulder-length or APL or pixie and none of the men have long hair. I have seen one tutor with lovely long hair, I think maybe tailbone length.

I always wear my hair up at work because I'm worried about headlice (some of our students are not the cleanest!). My colleagues are always really surprised if I have my hair down, i.e. on a night out, because they don't realise how long it is (only BSL yet though!).

jackiesjottings
February 22nd, 2011, 06:20 AM
Not many long haired people where I work...at least count 2 men and 3 women. I work in IT support and we don't really have any rules about hair or dress, but I do put mine up most days for work. I actually have the longest hair in the department now :)

ibleedlipstick
February 22nd, 2011, 09:13 AM
I'm a student, and my hair is about APL and short compared to a lot of women at my college. There is this girl in my class with healthyish looking TBL hair, and I just want to beg her to take nicer care of it when she is yanking out from under her bags and stuff.

trolleypup
February 22nd, 2011, 09:22 AM
Among the working class of my organization (excluding middle and upper mgmt and HQ office staff[1][2][3]) I have the longest hair (I think), but not by much, there are multiple people at or about classic (including one of my male supervisory coworkers)...I wouldn't be surprised if there is an operator with longer hair who keeps it up though. In general, hair length in Muni mirrors the general Bay Area population, so hair to MB(men)/waist(women) is not unusual. Styles tend to be fairly simple.

Muni is remarkably free of intolerance for diversity (and not because of legal requirements)...we say "As long as you do the job, we don't care what you look like (or carry out your life)!", but that isn't quite right...because even if you don't do the job, we still don't care!

[1] Who not only don't like to associate with us grunts, but moved HQ away from a bus barn to get away from the trappings of actual public transportation. In their eyes, the corporate name is the SFMTA, not the San Francisco Municipal Railway (universally referred to as "Muni")...but that is a rant for another day.

[2] About 2500 people.

[3] Actually, I should say excluding HQ office staff only (who I never see)...the higher ranks of mgmt are from off property and are men with short hair, the senior female in mgmt is short of classic, but is on the verge of retirement.

dorsetlady
February 22nd, 2011, 09:31 AM
I work in a hospital and most of the people I work with have long hair. Of course, it has to be tied up. I think long hair is more fashionable amongst the young now and it's quite rare to see a young woman with short hair. When I was young, (I'm 47 now and I've always had short hair) it was a lot more common.

BabyRay33
February 22nd, 2011, 09:41 AM
At my office job, before I joined LHC and wasn't really trying to grow it out, I had about collarbone length blonde highlighted hair and I had hot pink streaks underneath. When I felt particularly angsty about the job, which was quite often ;), I would put it up and let the pink streaks show.

Since then, I decided to stop dying it so much, so I got it back to my dirty blonde and I've grown it out to about 1" from APL. My hair length is about the average at my job. A lot of people have it cropped, but the people who have long hair have it waist length. There is one girl that sits behind me with about TB-length, and it is beautiful.

Its a call center type of environment, so I guess as long as its not dirty, they don't care so much. Though I got some funny looks when I had the pink!

Juli414
February 22nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
My workplace is a step below "business casual" most of the time, jeans and sneakers are ok for the CSRs, no flip-flops, no screen-print shirts, no track or sweat pants.

There are no hair restrictions, as far as I know. The longest hair is on a guy, just below waist. He keeps it in a segmented ponytail, so I can't be sure how long it is. There are two other male long-hairs, one keeps his in a pony-tail, it's just below his shoulders, the other lets his shoulder-length go free.

I'm just about the longest woman, at a couple inches shy of waist. One of the Quality Assurance women has a LOT of hair, with chunky color stripes, but I'm not sure how long it would be if it wasn't styled and poofed up.

RustyAl
August 6th, 2018, 11:17 AM
I am a school teacher, and being the only male teacher with long hair. So it is about 95% female teachers, so all the male teachers have short hair and about 97% of all the women have long hair. The school management dont mind how I wear my hair, I often wear it loose and my hair is about mid back length, so I either wear it loose, in a bun, or a half pony, unfortunately dont have the skills to braid it

cjk
August 6th, 2018, 03:26 PM
I make house calls doing computer and Technical Support. Today I'm doing commercial printers in Oklahoma.

While I have no restrictions on myself, self-employed, the dispatch company that uses local technicians does insist on a certain professionalism in our appearance.

What they don't know won't hurt them.

They're so delighted that I can fix what the other technicians can't, I get a pass.

LittleHealthy
August 6th, 2018, 03:58 PM
We have a dairy farm (family owned) and I’ve never had an issue with hair there, my mum has long hair and wears it braided with a hat on.
BUT I worked on my local council for 7 years before I had children and my hair was only waist length, however I was on the outdoor crew (machinery operation - grave digging, landscaping, building etc) and when I got that job, the depot manager made a comment on the first day about my hair and said “Hmm if it becomes an issue you’ll have to get it cut.” At the time he was deadly serious, but weeks later when I queried his ‘right’ to make such a statement he laughed it off. This was a male dominated workplace, I was the only female. Of course it was completely fine, and I had it in a bun under my sun hat every day.
They were trying to hire more women and expand in skills among the crew... they wanted a woman but they thought it’d be fine to dress her in mans clothing(was literally refused the women’s line of workwear which was widely available in my country by that point, and made to wear baggy, ill fitting clothing made for large men) and cut off her hair LOL.

I think there’s more of a point made by managers for hair to be kept neat and tidy, or in a safe, contained style. Less emphasis on the length itself!

lithostoic
August 6th, 2018, 04:42 PM
I currently have the longest hair of anyone in my workplace. But my coworker with TBL hair comes back this week :)

MusicalSpoons
August 6th, 2018, 04:44 PM
I work in a school, and in the last couple of years I've noticed more APL-BSL-ish hair than before. It is female-dominated, and about half of the female staff keep their hair covered by wearing hijab so I'm not entirely certain how long a lot of their hair is. The longest I know of for sure is ~hip length, and I know short hair is less common culturally, however based on the comments I've had on the occasion my length has been seen, I am certain mine is the longest of the staff. The shortest female hairstyles seem to be bobs (a few) and shoulder length. So pretty much the whole gamut of milestones down the neck and torso really!
The women who don't cover their hair on the whole tend to wear it loose; mine is bunned 99.5% of the time, apart from the odd rebun or special day when it might be plaited or in a ponytail as a one-off. It's just practical! The men all have traditionally short hair.

(The children, on the other hand, have lots of long hair! A girl in my class is well beyond classic, and I would be surprised if she didn't hit knee by the end of the next academic year, if she doesn't cut it. She keeps it plaited, mostly. There's a lot of hip/tbl+ as well, often in a plait, a ponytail, or loose.)