PDA

View Full Version : Oil shampoo method but with CO?

nytquill
November 5th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I've read about oil shampoo in the haircare of the stars thread. I've tried it a few times and I really do love the softness and shine, it's the hair I remember having back when I used cones, but without the buildup/strip down cycle that was so damaging to my hair and scalp.

But I'm finding that, as before, regular shampooing eventually ends up being too drying for my scalp. Plus I don't like that I have to work the shampoo through the length to get the oil benefits there, which normally I never do. My hair likes this oil shampoo thing, my scalp prefers mostly CO with the occasional diluted shampoo when a deeper cleansing is needed.

So I was just wondering, chemically speaking...I had read where oil in the conditioner doesn't work as well because the oil doesn't have as direct access to the hair shaft. But does that apply if the conditioner is cone-free? I don't use any coney conditioners so as I understand it there would be nothing coating the hair shaft keeping the oil out...the hair would still be swollen up from being wet which is what lets the oil in to work its magic.

I guess the real answer is to try it for a few weeks and see what results I get, and I will, but I'm curious to see what you all think of this :)

aenflex
November 5th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Good question. I could be wrong, but - I don't think cones would have anything to do with 'oil not having access to the shaft when mixed with conditioner'. I think the oil just becomes dulited when mixed, and perhaps is slightly less effective? Try it like you said and share the results :) I sometimes put a little EVOO in my conditioner, and I quite like it.

ktani
November 5th, 2010, 10:22 AM
It is not that it will not work. It is about how well it will work and for what reason an oil is being added to the conditioner. Conditioners often have oils in the ingredient lists.

If it is just for some added slip, there are a number of non drying oils that can be added, like avocado, olive oil etc.

If one wants coconut oil to penetrate the hair shaft for helping to prevent protein loss, the less coatings it has to deal with to get to the cortex, the better.

Most conditioners contain waxy ingredients like cetyl and stearyl alchohols (or a combination of both cetearyl alcohol) that can build up on hair as much as any cones over time.

nytquill
November 5th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Thank you for the responses :)

What about working just coconut oil through the hair before COing?

I gues a better way to phrase it might be, is there a way to get the same or nearly the same benefits of an oil shampoo but without the shampoo component?

Choctaw
November 5th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Oil rinses with conditioner may be an option. You can rinse your hair with warm water. Add the oil and work it from scalp to ends. Use conditioner to remove excess oil. Rinse with cooler water.