PDA

View Full Version : Relation between shedding and severe dandruff?

Dreams_in_Pink
November 5th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I have severe dandruff problem since childhood and it's a hereditary condition for me. I also remember having major sheds all the time in the past.

Recently, i've been experimenting how to treat dandruff. Obviously, the only thing that really helps in long term is a ketoconazole shampoo. There's an interesting thing i found out in the process; when i have no flakes, i shed much less!

I never thought dandruff might cause my hair to fall off! But then again, it could also be ketoconazole's hair-growing effects (like monistat has). What would you say? Does my hair fall because of the fungi or does ketoconazole stop shedding?

Both ways i'll have to start using this ketoconazole thing often :(

Eolan
November 5th, 2010, 03:34 AM
I'm sorry that you have problems with this.

I have psoriasis on my scalp and the only thing that treats it is a strong solution of steroids. I just found out that untreated psoriasis can lead to hairloss. It's not at all the same as dandruff I know, but it's somewhat related since both are/can be scalp issues, I guess. My unproffessional opinion is that you are on to something here. If you think about it I think it makes sense, if the scalp is upset than shedding seems sort of likely. I don't enjoy using strong stuff on my scalp, but rather that than ichies and shedding.

Anyway, I hope you get to terms with this and find a regimen that works for you.:flower:

Dreams_in_Pink
November 5th, 2010, 03:41 AM
I just found out that untreated psoriasis can lead to hairloss. It's not at all the same as dandruff I know, but it's somewhat related since both are/can be scalp issues, I guess.

Thank you :(

In my case, i have huge dry flakes and slightly itchy scalp. There is no redness or pain, just those white flakes that explode into lots of dandruff pieces once i scratch my scalp.

There's another question that comes to mind: if psoriasis causes hair loss, does hair grow back when it's treated?

Eolan
November 5th, 2010, 03:56 AM
I had a big shed sometime last year. I was very stressed, I changed my diet and I had a mad crazy outburst of psoriasis that I tried to treat with oils and other more natural products. It wasn't until this spring I think when I finally got a prescription on the steroids. I now have barely no psoriasis. But I do have LOADS of regrowth.

So long story short, yes, it should grow back!

Ms. Murph
November 7th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Hi Dreams_in_Pink!

Ever since I started stretching out my shampoos from every second day, I've had a lot of flakes, along with a mildly itchy scalp. But I don't remember having them, no matter what shampoo I used, in the past, although I'd sometimes get that itchy scalp. Similar to you, I noticed:

Thank you :(

In my case, i have huge dry flakes and slightly itchy scalp. There is no redness or pain, just those white flakes that explode into lots of dandruff pieces once i scratch my scalp.
Opposite to you, I think I've actually had my hairloss as a result of massive stress, and also hairdye, so I thought that stretching the shampoos would be healthier. Now, as soon as my hair is dry, flakes can be seen, and then they get worse, if I've left it for 3 or more days!

I don't plan to use a special shampoo just yet. I've read that good nutrition, exercise, and proper sleeping patterns should help with hair growth, and any skin/scalp problems (I suppose this is common sense, and you've probably tried it all anyway!). I have finished my stressful master's thesis now though, so I may concentrate on my health.
The one thing that puzzles me is that I can remember often having severe dandruff as a child, and my mother mother giving out to me for scratching my head so much. Before the age of 12, I always washed my hair just once a week. I think that if my problem was a sensitivity to shampoo ingredients, it would be worse the more I shampooed! Maybe my head just has problems with it's own oils, eek!
(Sorry for the long message)

allfeya
November 8th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Dandruff is one of the reasons for hair loss. I had the same problem, and now when the dandruff is under control, the hair loss stopped.